More water sources

Vit

I would like see the ability to collect water in caves, and мaybe salt water near the coast.

When I walk through caves and see water in them, I always want to take it with me.ashmine.thumb.png.f47cdca587c62183a143d9d45a8c777c.pngicecave.thumb.png.7cca197dfe852d8af1b7b457f33b5741.png

Why not?  In an emergency, this can save a life, especially if there are water purification tablets.  Or just save firewood and time.

Salt water can become a renewable source of saltcoastal.thumb.png.259c3c0f07b106aaa1763483172b38dd.pngcoastal2.thumb.png.7120f4d00d18e37f191c9dab7d174d43.pnglake.thumb.png.69a065f3e57fa0e9f475e0c7e2603cda.png

• Upvote 11
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SpanishMoss said:

But why though? We can already get infinite water when at a campfire anyway

I think this is a matter of saving firewood…

EDIT: And realism, of course, I’d much rather drink water from a cave pool than from the “yellow snow”.

Edited by conanjaguar
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I know that some people think that the water purification tablets are useless, but I love them. Right now, they spoil surprisingly fast (bug?} so I always use them ASAP. However, if the devs allow us to use the thermos to collect water from a stream, for example, then it might be worth holding onto a few for long trips or emergencies. 

• Upvote 3

On 8/20/2023 at 9:51 AM, conanjaguar said:

I think this is a matter of saving firewood…

EDIT: And realism, of course, I’d much rather drink water from a cave pool than from the “yellow snow”.

This would also make the "No Fire Challenge" runs much more feasible too.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

YES!! Absolutely yes!!!

I've wanted to see this in the game for forever, it just makes too much sense to not have it be a feature 

This would also give water purification tables a pretty solid use case, since there's currently no water sources that provide unsafe water except from like... one. And if you're melting snow, you can always boil the initialy unsafe water with some time

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like this.  Having salt for preserving and water from pools would be cool.  and if you ate it it could make you dehydrated?  Not sure why that would be useful...  Oh! and if you rub salt in a wound it would give you the pain affliction, lol.  Also useless, but, why not?

So if you boil salt water it would produce just salt right?  the water would evaporate and to make a distellery would be useless because there's snow right outside the door, lol.  A way to preserve meat and make it lighter, but also more dehydrating?

On 8/30/2023 at 5:31 PM, Smellyfries said:

Honestly, I'd take the ability to collect salt water over everything else. A renewable supply of salt would be nice, and maybe salt could be used to help preserve meats in the future.

I agree, at least salt water should be collectable, or, a cooking option for distilling salt would be available if I have an open fishing hole on sea-ice nearby.
Salt is not an expensive resource even now, when it is non-renewable, so making it renewable would not change the balance too much imho, while it could make broth become a truly renewable item for e.g., and add a lot to realism, with very limited coding changes (I think).

To keep it challenging I might add it to be only possible using pots or pans (not in cans), and doing so would have the same 5% degradation (but repairable) effect, as when we overboil the snow/burn the food.
The recipe could be that 1 L gives 3 portions, 2 L would give 7 portions of salt (seawater is about 3,5% salt), with also having a slight advantage for using the pot over the pan.
It could also take quite long, as boiling away 2 L of water does require a lot of energy.

Also @Third Try's idea of salting meat/fish would be a long sought after solution: to make a long lasting, and non-smelly food option (if the beef jerkies we find are not smelling, our homemade deer jerkies could have the same attribute). Possible by salting them to be an "anywhere" action, which is followed by a mandatory, long curing process - similarly to how skins are curing slowly, only this would happen out on the snow.. This could turn salted meat (still smelly) into cured meat (not smelly) over 10 days or so. It could also be limited to deer and moose meat or salmon only - to make these (even) more valuable. 
What do you think?

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 2

On 8/19/2023 at 10:21 PM, SpanishMoss said:

But why though? We can already get infinite water when at a campfire anyway

How often does anyone ever drink bad water? It's always that bottle you hit drink on too fast that you probably accidentally dropped earlier. there is no intention behind it. this gives you a situation to make a decision that may lead to dysentery, or maybe just hydration. That makes the game more interesting in my book. maybe you start somewhere with fresh water and you cant find fire, so you give it a go. as of now there is no such option.

• Upvote 1