Survivor talk, might have spoilers.

FaT McMarlin

4 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I've only been playing about 4 years or so, but most ways I'd tried within six months 😁 

I do it with nearly all my games.

I'll have to check ash out again,when I get back there..  

I'll give it a try this morning to see what happens..     a lot of people tend to hold it for too long and blow their own hand off😅😅

I've done almost everything in my power to not die. I've purposely ended a few, but it's been my goal with every run to survive as long as possible.

Ash has it's own vibe. I love the whole region.

Lol I hope you don't blow your hand off. That would hurt so much 

11 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I've done almost everything in my power to not die. I've purposely ended a few, but it's been my goal with every run to survive as long as possible.

Ash has it's own vibe. I love the whole region.

Lol I hope you don't blow your hand off. That would hurt so much 

Well that is what you're supposed to do lol..  I'm the weird one😁 

Well I never got to try it... had to trawl to bleak to make the gunpowder ,then spent the rest of the session looking for them... none..  thinking about it I don't remember seeing any there before either..

27 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

That's because there are no birds in bleak ...  very odd why some maps don't have certain things.

No birds in bleak,

No acorns in PV 

No rifle in BlackRock 

Interesting. Cause you can definitely hear them. And I think they may be by Echo 1.

I do like that things are spread out. It wouldn't be that much fun if you've got the ability to stay where you spawn cause everything is there for you.

I never noticed the no acorn thing. But I rarely stop to pick them up.

• Like 1

... you know what... I didn't even notice the absence of Ptarmigans, and I've been living in Bleak Inlet for (I think maybe an in-game week now).🤔  I suppose I haven't noticed them much since (to date) I've had no reason or motivation to hunt any of them.  (This will change when I'm done with my trip down Memory Lane...)

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

Interesting. Cause you can definitely hear them. And I think they may be by Echo 1.

I do like that things are spread out. It wouldn't be that much fun if you've got the ability to stay where you spawn cause everything is there for you.

I never noticed the no acorn thing. But I rarely stop to pick them up.

There's none by the tower that I've heard or seen.. you'd expect some in upper bleak at least.

There are a lot of people who do snowballs though ,so it's a bit unfair to not have something on every map..

I don't bother with acorns either really but itd be nice to see them there. And there's certainly plenty of space in PV lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Well that is what you're supposed to do lol..  I'm the weird one😁 

Well I never got to try it... had to trawl to bleak to make the gunpowder ,then spent the rest of the session looking for them... none..  thinking about it I don't remember seeing any there before either..

I hate when I don't realize there's more than one post to reply towards.

I've found most of the ptarmigan in TWM. They are everywhere when I'm there. They really are a pain to locate and use.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

... you know what... I didn't even notice the absence of Ptarmigans, and I've been living in Bleak Inlet for (I think maybe an in-game week now).🤔  I suppose I haven't noticed them much since (to date) I've had no reason or motivation to hunt any of them.  (This will change when I'm done with my trip down Memory Lane...)

Some parts of bleak have very little in , especially near the blind areas so I can't understand why they're not there.. or up near the tower..  there is the improved bedroll, but I know you want to keep your stats as low as possible.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I hate when I don't realize there's more than one post to reply towards.

I've found most of the ptarmigan in TWM. They are everywhere when I'm there. They really are a pain to locate and use.

No worries,I usually talk rubbish anyway😁

There are a lot in some places,twm being one. There's more in PV than you'd think too..

• Upvote 1

Just now, ManicManiac said:

The Bear Skin Bedroll?  It didn't spawn for me this run. 
But you're right, even if had been there... I probably would have left it alone.🤭

Not the bear roll no..  you can use ptarmigan feathers to upgrade the regular bedroll.

It gives +8cdegrees warmth I think.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
OH!  You know, I forgot that was even a thing. :D 

Someday, I really do need to devote the time to trying my hand at the new craftables... as well as toy with the new cooking and ice fishing mechanics.

Lol..  too busy trying not to get eaten alive is a good reason for forgetting them😁

But you can't beat a nice bowl of porridge in the morning 😊

• Upvote 1

@Leeanda

Perhaps when I'm done with the Cannery Rush, Ash Canyon, and Blackrock (as well as KP N&S)... maybe I'll go on quick walkabout to each of my encampments to gather up cooking supplies.

For the most part, I don't think I'll be using the new crafting and cooking recipes all that often.  I do really love the struggle.  I think for me, the buffs that come from the new cooking system, the Improvised Insulation, and Improvised Down Bedroll... initially feels to me like they are a bit "too much."

But, I admit I need to commit to trying it all out and see how it really feels and affects my playstyle.  I guess perhaps I've been putting off because I'm concerned these things will ease the struggle too much for my liking.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

Perhaps when I'm done with the Cannery Rush, Ash Canyon, and Blackrock (as well as KP N&S)... maybe I'll go on quick walkabout to each of my encampments to gather up cooking supplies.

I do plan on experimenting with all the craftables and mechanics... but for the most part, I don't think I'll be using them all that often.  I do really love the struggle.  I think for me, the buffs that come from the new cooking system, the Improvised Insulation, and Improvised Down Bedroll... initially feels to me like they are a bit "too much."

But, I admit I need to commit to trying it all out and see how it really feels and affect my gameplay experience.  I guess perhaps I've been putting off because I'm concerned these things will ease the struggle too much for my liking.

I'm not a fan of the buffs debuffs really either, but some of the recipes don't have any(I think)..

I eat some just for the novelty or to use up the ingredients..  I suppose the buffs are kind of compensation for the short life span they have..

But I totally get why you don't want to use them.

• Upvote 2

@Leeanda

To me, just being able to prepare other foods would have been incentive enough for me... the concept of the buffs/debuffs just doesn't feel good to me.  However, that feeling may change once I can spend some time with them and get a real sense of how it changes things.

I may just adopt similar mindset as you... just making them for the sake of the calories and the roleplay value, because I know I'm not likely to be a fan of the food-buff/debuff situation.  

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

concept of the buffs/debuffs just doesn't feel good to me.

I think the buff/debuff system would be much improved by either…

1. The buffs should be small, long-lasting, and stackable. So eating a ptarmigan pie would give you a .5 kg carry bonus for 24 hours, with each ptarmigan pie you eat increased the carry bonus by another .5 kg and extends the duration by another 24 hours, and once you hit the maximum bonus, it slowly decays by .5 kg every day you don’t eat a ptarmigan pie.

OR

2. The buffs should affect other attributes and skills, like Firestarting, struggle bonus, movement speed, etc.
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong... just because I don't feel like I'm going to like it, doesn't mean I'd wish for it to change.  I know there are folks out there who really like it the way it is... and Hinterland choose to implement it the way they did.

I will eventually try it out... and if I find that I was right, and that I don't like it, I'll probably just choose not to take advantage of that system again from that point on.

So, while I may not like something... I'd never want to try to push to take away those things from other players.  I can just choose not to use them. :D 

@conanjaguar
I appreciate the creativity in how you've reimagined the system, and certainly can enjoy talking about the possibilities of it.

Edited by ManicManiac
Fixing errors.
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

To me, just being able to prepare other foods would have been incentive enough for me... the concept of the buffs/debuffs just doesn't feel good to me.  However, that feeling may change once I can spend some time with them and get a real sense of how it changes things.

I may just adopt similar mindset as you... just making them for the sake of the calories and the roleplay value, because I know I'm not likely to be a fan of the food-buff/debuff situation.  

I know what you mean..  

I don't usually bother cooking much but these recipes are kind of fun to do..you can only slap so many chunks of bear meat on the fire before it gets boring.😁

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Leeanda said:

There's none by the tower that I've heard or seen.. you'd expect some in upper bleak at least.

There are a lot of people who do snowballs though ,so it's a bit unfair to not have something on every map..

I don't bother with acorns either really but itd be nice to see them there. And there's certainly plenty of space in PV lol.

Especially after you clear out the TW.

Like single region surviving? I think that should be a game play type. If the region has a forge, hammer and saw should be there. If it's any other region it should spawn at least 1 weapon and ammo. That's probably already on the wishlist.

I rarely bother with the acorns or new cooking. I picked a few up on the SV run. Haven't touched them. Still need to get Astrid to the train station there. But I wanted to play looper today, found a bed roll in ML again.

@ManicManiac I think the one I utilize the most would be the rose hip pie still. The flour and oil are worth the weight when you need to wake up since coffee is rare, and stims are even harder to find. The headache is nothing to deal with. It's gone in no time.

@conanjaguarthe rose hip pie acts like that. You'll fill the sleep meter until it's full. Not really a bonus. But you can stack them unless it's changed in the last patch. My cooking level isn't high enough yet.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

Especially after you clear out the TW.

Like single region surviving? I think that should be a game play type. If the region has a forge, hammer and saw should be there. If it's any other region it should spawn at least 1 weapon and ammo. That's probably already on the wishlist.

I rarely bother with the acorns or new cooking. I picked a few up on the SV run. Haven't touched them. Still need to get Astrid to the train station there. But I wanted to play looper today, found a bed roll in ML again.

@ManicManiac I think the one I utilize the most would be the rose hip pie still. The flour and oil are worth the weight when you need to wake up since coffee is rare, and stims are even harder to find. The headache is nothing to deal with. It's gone in no time.

@conanjaguarthe rose hip pie acts like that. You'll fill the sleep meter until it's full. Not really a bonus. But you can stack them unless it's changed in the last patch. My cooking level isn't high enough yet.

I've only got one up top.. poor things got no one to play with😁 I turned twolves down to low because of the yapping at the cannery..

I don't think it is on the wish list,despite how popular snowballs are..  

The acorns are a bit of a waste of time,they take too long to prepare I reckon..  I've made one coffee and used them once in a recipe..    and that was just because of the mini mission to complete the entire crafting pages...  

Lol..where are they when you really need one😁.  Going from pilgrim back to loper...I bet you'll miss all that loot😅

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

I've only got one up top.. poor things got no one to play with😁 I turned twolves down to low because of the yapping at the cannery..

I don't think it is on the wish list,despite how popular snowballs are..  

The acorns are a bit of a waste of time,they take too long to prepare I reckon..  I've made one coffee and used them once in a recipe..    and that was just because of the mini mission to complete the entire crafting pages...  

Lol..where are they when you really need one😁.  Going from pilgrim back to loper...I bet you'll miss all that loot😅

😂😂😂 he might still scare off the birds.

I guess with custom settings you can tune your own snowball. Give yourself a half decent chance at getting a weapon.

I don't even think I've made the coffee but once. It might be cool once you're a few hundred days in and looking to kill time.

Lol kinda. Except on Pilgrim it's, bluh peaches, on looper it's PEACHES!!!!!!!😂😂😂 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

😂😂😂 he might still scare off the birds.

I guess with custom settings you can tune your own snowball. Give yourself a half decent chance at getting a weapon.

I don't even think I've made the coffee but once. It might be cool once you're a few hundred days in and looking to kill time.

Lol kinda. Except on Pilgrim it's, bluh peaches, on looper it's PEACHES!!!!!!!😂😂😂 

He's too busy running away from me😅 

Unless you get it in the cache though it's still no guarantee..  

I ran out of things to do about 150 days back and I still don't want to make it😁 

I suppose for stalker and loper it's worth it..  

One man's junk is another man's treasure lol...  😊.    Except maybe 10%. sardines

Edited by Leeanda

Well after searching for a real time hour I finally found some ptarmigan..

I threw the noisemaker really badly and missed by a couple of metres 😅. but I did kill the two nearest..  so noisemakers would seem to be good for killing multiple birds at once.