Opinions on Dev Diary May

Razum

Hi guys,

the new dev diary is out and man, did Raph go hard on himself. I just feel like, I wanna share some thoughts of mine and with this thread open the door for other people to share their thoughts. So maybe there can be some priorities of the community be made clear.

So I think, normally such a critique isn't something you would see else where. These statements are mostly intern (the whose fault is it? discussion) and publicly there's only a plain statement to explain stuff. This honesty is really great and I think it's strong Raph sees the mistakes on his own. The explanation he gives is also very plausible and it's fine.

I don't come from the time, where there were frequent updates, so I don't feel like I need them. I started playing during Covid and I didn't even see the whole area - not to mention remembering every part of the maps (i.e. where to find loot). So I also didn't play Tales yet. I bought the expansion mostly because I wanted to help Hinterland. I payed less when I bought TLD due to the social distancing fundraiser. I visited the new map (and man, I really like it), but I didn't play Tales yet. So in terms of frequency - I can wait, have still much to do in TLD. I'd rather wait then have poor quality. I even rather play in the pre update version, because some mods haven't updated that I like playing with (especially Hunger Revamped). I can't speak for the switch and other people, but they may feel the same. The old versions don't become bad or lame when new versions come out. Or put differently: The fun in the game doesn't depend on new stuff coming out frequently.

I really like the wish for independence of Hinterland and I support it. Well, I would support it more, if the Hinterland Store reopened - AHEM. I like, where the game is and I also like the ideas of where it will go. I will support it and play it for a long long time.

Having said that, I like the ability to self critique and I think it's very important to be able to do it in a constructive manner. And Raphael did that. With that, I don't fear the game becoming lost and becoming something, nobody wants. In my view, the game is still on the right track and we'll land somewhere we feel pleasant to be. I can't wait for episode 5. My priorities aren't new content (there's really enough at some point), maybe focus on the existing mechanics - there are so many ideas: Like I said, I always play with the Hunger Revamped mod. Some new arrow types, better animal AI. I would like to see some of that stuff reworked at some point. I don't need 100 new items over the next 10 years, they don't make the game "better", they could just add to it or in worst case break it. 

Ok, I digress. That's all I wanted to say. I really wouldn't like to see my opinion be the only one here. So please - whoever reads this - write your opinion on the statement from Raphael on your personal priorities when it comes to the direction TLD goes.

Love you all and the game and see you later...

• Upvote 4

I have just posted on the main thread, but (to summarise) for me, reading a real post like Raph's rather than some PR garbage that many companies use these days was very very refreshing.

A longer timeline for delivery, oh well, hardly the end of the world.

Lastly, Hinterland should never be ashamed of charging for the expansion and continued development for TLD, it's a business, not a hobby and I'd rather a thriving, stable business able to support and grow TLD than it fade away..... people deserve to be paid for the great work they do.

• Upvote 5

I have zero issue with HL wanting to charge for additional content. I purchased this game early to help fund development of the story part of the game and as long as that's being worked on I am mostly good.

What happens to the sandbox part of it makes no difference to me(I've abandoned hope of that being any good).

I've bought the game three times and just purchased the dlc.. I have no complaints about the content,cost or delays . These things happen with any business and I'm happy to wait for the rest of both story and survival .   My only issue is the glimmer fog but that's more a personal health matter not a technical problem and while I am itching to get into the new area I'm still happy to wait until the team has the time to look into it..  if it is something they will consider anyway🙂.  

Either way it's a great game and that's been my opinion since I first played it and I shall keep playing until I'm too old to hold the controller any more 😁

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I've bought the game three times and just purchased the dlc.. I have no complaints about the content,cost or delays . These things happen with any business and I'm happy to wait for the rest of both story and survival .   My only issue is the glimmer fog but that's more a personal health matter not a technical problem and while I am itching to get into the new area I'm still happy to wait until the team has the time to look into it..  if it is something they will consider anyway🙂.  

Either way it's a great game and that's been my opinion since I first played it and I shall keep playing until I'm too old to hold the controller any more 😁

Thanks for your support, @Leeanda

• Upvote 1

I also think that Raph was too hard on himself, and is too worried about the toxic minority on social media. 

Hinterlands is THE best gaming company I am aware of when it comes to communication and strict adherence to a high quality product and I have been playing video games for 30 years.

With that said, I disagree with a few of the decisions lately in Tales, but there's lots of things in the game I disagree with. Who knows if my armchair game design would ruin what is one of the most enduring games I have ever played. I consider myself extremely competent at game design and I bet I couldn't do as good a job as Raph.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

I suppose I made my opinions pretty clear when I posted on the Dev Diary thread itself.
But I suppose to add more context... The Long Dark is my favorite contemporary game, by a very wide margin.  

I've now spent 2,250 hours (which is not as much as some, but still far more than any other game in my library). 
I found TLD just after the Kickstarter closed (otherwise I absolutely would been a backer) and started exploring Great Bear Island in late 2014 (shortly after it entered Steam Early Access).  Since then, I'd purchased both volumes of the soundtrack and of course Tales of The Far Territory.  I'd also posed the question to see if I could pay for my own digital copy of their short-film Elegy.  

I've been consistently impressed by Hinterland, both for the expanding scope of their vision of The Long Dark and the commitment to us they've honored while also giving us so much more than we all originally bought in for.

As I said in my post on the Dev Diary thread:  I think that Raph and the entire Hinterland team has (I feel) earned so much good will over the years.  No release date change, platform port hangup, update bug/glitch, or focus shifts could be enough to change my opinion, respect, and support for both this game and this studio.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
And this forum is the only forum I frequent... Hinterland has done so well at fostering an overall really great community, and one that I am very glad to be a part of.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Nalliah said:

I am not really a gamer at all. But I love TLD. It has something for everyone, at all levels, and is truly entertaining. Best game out there.

Non-gamer gamer high five!

I've always though of game developers like the wind - great when its at your back, but it can change at any moment, and there's nothing you can do about it. Now, however, one can give "feedback", and it might even be read! What a brave new world we live in.

Anyway, I was worried for the direction of the game when I heard they were thinking to separate the story and the survival; the survival was why I came, and while the story was good I found myself frustrated with the ending. That said, the developers know best which way to grow - look how Warcraft turned to WoW. I was left behind in the transition, but it was a roaring success.

Whatever comes, best of luck to Hinterland. Ultimately, they don't owe anyone an explanation.

Edited by CoffeeCup
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

This game is worth every penny and the roadmap for the DLC is quite massive. 3 whole regions, 1 transition zone, 1 transfer hub, new items, new tales, new plants/animals, new gameplay mechanics, mementos, etc. 

If Hinterland is having trouble pushing out content, they can also create a 'public test realm' like Undead Labs does with State of Decay 2. This way players can act as testers and give instant feedback on bugs or potential balance changes, etc. It might help speed up the process. 

Edited by Stranzua
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Stranzua said:

This game is worth every penny and the roadmap for the DLC is quite massive. 3 whole regions, 1 transition zone, 1 transfer hub, new items, new tales, new plants/animals, new gameplay mechanics, mementos, etc. 

If Hinterland is having trouble pushing out content, they can also create a 'public test realm' like Undead Labs does with State of Decay 2. This way players can act as testers and give instant feedback on bugs or potential balance changes, etc. It might help speed up the process. 

Count me in...I'd be happy to test it😊

• Upvote 1