A weird experience

I'm not trying to start a conspiracy or some kind of creepy pasta as I speak of this, just something that happened in game that was odd so I thought I'd share it. I'm somewhat new to TLD so maybe this is a normal occurrence? I play on PS4 and what I'm about to talk about was on a pilgrim playthrough.

Anyway, the other day I was exploring at dusk in the area of Bleak Inlet that's sprawled out across from Last Resort Cannery, and I heard a sound that made me stop. Now, if you play TLD long enough, you start to be very familiar with every particular sound around you in game. I was thinking it was a bear, but it sounded more like a lion roar kind of. I looked around and nothing. I started to walk again and then I heard something coming up behind me quickly like it was running. This was not the gallop of a deer, these were footsteps that got closer from behind me. I stopped again, looked back, and still nothing.

Now, I'm no theorist, but that seems unnatural and odd to me. Anyone else experience anything like this or maybe lend some insight as to what this was? Thanks.

• Upvote 1

The only thing I can think of that sounds anything like a roar is a deer dying from a wolf attack.   

There are some new sounds around though, including from the new does.  I haven't heard them much really so I'm not sure if it could be one of those.

There are a few sound issues and bugs too .

• 3 weeks later...

@Bloodskye

Hinterland has also been known to make "stealth changes..."

On 2/15/2021 at 10:03 AM, ManicManiac said:

Personally, I really like the "stealth changes" that seem to appear from from time to time... keeps the player on their toes.

Those stealth changes have come in all kinds of forms.  I remember how jittery I got when I first started hearing the owls, and the first time I heard the loon's call... I nearly jumped out of my skin because I thought it was a nearby wolf.  :D

Alterations to Wolf/Bear behavior and roaming routes have come out of those stealth changes too.  I think those work really well to keep the players alert and engaged.  Also to snatch us up when we get complacent.

All in all, I'm a big fan of Hinterland's "stealth changes."

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Also... they have been teasing a cougar (a.k.a. puma, mountain lion, catamount, etc... -depending on the colloquial name wherever you might be from).

I might ask the question, "Did Hinterland slip in such a sound, happening at rare and random times, to tease it further?"  :) 
COUGAR icon

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I have noticed hat it sounds like someone is walking in synch when I walk but it stops just after I stop ... I've also heard a kind of very loud crackle noise ,sort of.. just very loud but very quick. . I am getting a few random silences that only last a second or two  so mine might just be audio issues.

• Upvote 2

That sounds to me like the sound you get when you mend or craft clothing.

I've had instances since the update when I get the hacksaw sound when cutting saplings with an axe (or vice versa), or no sound at all.

@Lone WalkerIve actually heard that sound too stumbling upon the little abandoned camps with a snow shelter specifically. It literally sounds like the shelter collapsing as you approach. Upon investigation of this noise I found it replays no matter how times you move away and back. Odd...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bloodskye said:

@Lone WalkerIve actually heard that sound too stumbling upon the little abandoned camps with a snow shelter specifically. It literally sounds like the shelter collapsing as you approach. Upon investigation of this noise I found it replays no matter how times you move away and back. Odd...

I found the part in my game video where the sound happened for the first time in Ash Canyon and it sounded like someone was throwing snowballs which is why I stopped and looked around. I am also playing on the PS4 on Pilgrim. 

I was walking towards a snow shelter at the time, the same as happened the second time it happened. 

Here is the clip.

Edited by Lone Walker

16 minutes ago, Lone Walker said:

I found the part in my game video where the sound happened for the first time in Ash Canyon and it sounded like someone was throwing snowballs which is why I stopped and looked around. I am also playing on the PS4 on Pilgrim. 

I was walking towards a snow shelter at the time, the same as happened the second time it happened. 

Here is the clip.

I've heard that once or twice ,I just put it down to the backpack and gear as I usually only hear it on uneven ground.

21 hours ago, Lone Walker said:

wondering what was that?

In your video... sounds very much to me like snow dropping off branches and impacting the snow below on the ground.
(I've head that one from time to time on my run - I know there is no animation for snow dropping like that, but I tend to think it's an ambient flare... and I'm a fan)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I've heard that once or twice ,I just put it down to the backpack and gear as I usually only hear it on uneven ground.

The first time it happened I stopped and looked around as to me it sounded like someone threw a snowball.

10 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

In your video... sounds very much to me like snow dropping off branches and impacting the snow below on the ground.
(I've head that one from time to time on my run - I know there is no animation for snow dropping like that, but I tend to think it's an ambient flare... and I'm a fan)

It does sound like that. There were a few strange going on's in Ash Canyon, weird sounds like that, floating matches at the end of a bridge and giant birch bark. I might rename it spooky canyon.

I've had the sound of prepare acorns staying after I had prepared them by hand and sleeping doesn't make the sound go away only leaving the building or going into a building if it happens in a cave makes the sound stop.

I have reported the prepared acorns sound as a bug as it happens every time I prepare them by hand.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lone Walker said:

The first time it happened I stopped and looked around as to me it sounded like someone threw a snowball.

I've just listened to it on very high volume and it doesnt sound like either .. it was more of a crackling kind of noise.  Very odd.

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I've just listened to it on very high volume and it doesnt sound like either .. it was more of a crackling kind of noise.  Very odd.

It sounds like something dropping but what is strange is that both times it happened I was walking towards a snow shelter as you can see in both clips so not sure if its a sound bug or not.

5 minutes ago, Lone Walker said:

It sounds like something dropping but what is strange is that both times it happened I was walking towards a snow shelter as you can see in both clips so not sure if its a sound bug or not.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or not..     

@Admin might be able to help ..

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

hmmmmm- I was making my way back from Ash Canyon to mountaineer's hut today, and wounded a wolf by the engine in Echo Ravine.  a couple of days later made it back to crystal lake, and there was a wolf's carcass there.  I've never known a wounded animal run that far before dying.  Maybe the carcass wasn't the wolf I encountered, and something else was the killer...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

hmmmmm- I was making my way back from Ash Canyon to mountaineer's hut today, and wounded a wolf by the engine in Echo Ravine.  a couple of days later made it back to crystal lake, and there was a wolf's carcass there.  I've never known a wounded animal run that far before dying.  Maybe the carcass wasn't the wolf I encountered, and something else was the killer...

I've seen that happen. Was it ravaged like you'd find deer carcasses? Every once in a while I find a wolf carcass in the snow or in a cave 

• 2 weeks later...

@Lone Walker @Bloodskye

I can confirm that sound is linked to pre-existing snow shelters! The same thing happened to me in Forsaken Airfield where there's a snow shelter in one location. Startled me immensely the first time I heard it! Haven't reported it because I thought it was a known issue that pre-existing snow shelters are bugged (I got stuck in one)... but I can't seem to find it on the major issues list. @Admin can you confirm it's a known issue?

• Upvote 1

On 5/17/2023 at 10:53 PM, Gwynren said:

@Lone Walker @Bloodskye

I can confirm that sound is linked to pre-existing snow shelters! The same thing happened to me in Forsaken Airfield where there's a snow shelter in one location. Startled me immensely the first time I heard it! Haven't reported it because I thought it was a known issue that pre-existing snow shelters are bugged (I got stuck in one)... but I can't seem to find it on the major issues list. @Admin can you confirm it's a known issue?

We are working to resolve issues with sound in-game, but it is always a good idea to report any of these issues that you encounter. Thank you, Survivors! 

http://hinterlandgames.com/support