The I’m Actually Happy With My DLC TFTFT Purchase and Can’t Wait to Play the Updates as They Come Out Thread

Just now, Leeanda said:

Glad you found one.   I had to practically walk into an oak tree to notice it this morning so I wouldn't feel bad about the crowbar or the beachcombing.  😀 

I've just arrived in coastal myself so I'll check out what's on the beach.  I did just leave bleak but after the blizzard I only found a trunk  but I'm not familiar with traipsing around on that patch of ice so didn't push my luck. 

What I'm testing is whether or not blizzards are required to refresh beachcombing items... or whether they still refresh just based on elapsed time.  In this run, I've intentionally set blizzards to none and any respawn I can set in custom to be as quick as possible (so I'm getting quick respawns of sticks and such).  From what I'm seeing so far though, without blizzards the beachcombing is not refreshing at all.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

What I'm testing is whether or not blizzards are required to refresh beachcombing items... or whether they still refresh just based on elapsed time.  In this run, I've intentionally set blizzards to none and any respawn I can set in custom to be as quick as possible (so I'm getting quick respawns of sticks and such).  From what I'm seeing so far though, without blizzards the beachcombing is not refreshing at all.

Oh I see. My apologies .  That seems a bit odd  . It's worth keeping an eye on .  Its bound to be intentional though as I can't see anywhere going without blizzards for so long that people will lose out or feel it's too unfair.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

(I'm not the most fearless beachcomber though, so I could be missing some small stuff farther out onto the ice

I've noticed they have made BC much easier - you can actually walk right out to the item and grab it without weak ice.  I remember having to run out, grab item (while ice was breaking) and run back before you fell in.

I do have crampons on though...

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I've noticed they have made BC much easier - you can actually walk right out to the item and grab it without weak ice.  I remember having to run out, grab item (while ice was breaking) and run back before you fell in.

I do have crampons on though...

Yes, I'm aware of that and think it's a great improvement.

I did another pass in CH after a snow storm (not a blizzard since those are disabled in this run).  I did come up with a sapling and a broken arrow (both of which I would say I might have missed on previous passes).  Still, nothing has yet respawned/refreshed in the areas where I had collected items on my first pass.  So, at this point, results are still looking like, without blizzards, beachcombing is not refreshing.  Only more time will tell if this is an infallible conclusion or just bad RNG in my run.

I've now thoroughly searched probably 80% of CH and only now found a hatchet (I found two actually right next to each other up at the train loading area).  Still only one actual knife (which was found earlier in the upper mine).  Still no guns of any kind.  I think I only have the lower (aurora) mine left to search that is a site of any concentration of loot.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Oh I see. My apologies .  That seems a bit odd  . It's worth keeping an eye on .  Its bound to be intentional though as I can't see anywhere going without blizzards for so long that people will lose out or feel it's too lunfair.

It's just a test.  Beachcombing used to refresh without the need for a blizzard.  I think it's a good change... if you do turn blizzards off in custom, there is now an associated consequence... you lose out on "unlimited" beachcombing and the newly introduced exotic things washing up on the beach... and it is still the player's choice which features they want or don't want in any particular custom run they start.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, SuperStriker16 said:

Anyone got a clue about what happens if you walk off into the ocean by accident, do you die? Does it count it like if you fell though? What happens?

It's the same as any other place .. you end up on the beach extremely wet..   I did it several times for the clothes drying experiment.  And once by accident😀

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, SuperStriker16 said:

Oh ok, that takes a load off for beachcombing, I thought it was instant death if I accidentally went to close to the edge and fell in. Thanks for the clarification, because no matter what, I’m not testing it.

I'm not in a rush to do it again either.😁

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, SuperStriker16 said:

Oh ok, that takes a load off for beachcombing, I thought it was instant death if I accidentally went to close to the edge and fell in. Thanks for the clarification, because no matter what, I’m not testing it.

Lol - don't blame you.  Ice has historically been my  nemesis.  You may respawn back on the ice close to where you fell in... cold, wet, and with the immediate risk of hypothermia.  You also may be a bit disoriented... I can't count how many times I've taken a step only to fall in again because rather than walking towards the more solid ice and the beach, I just walked back out onto the thin stuff.

The ability to make crampons is a big plus and the fact that they now show you how the ice is cracking... giving you time to get off it before it breaks.  Best policy though - never go beachcoming overencumbered in any way or with clothing that slows you down very much... go light and agile or best to stay home.

• Upvote 2

Thank you for this thread, thank you for the positivity, and thank you for playing. We genuinely appreciate the constructive criticism we've seen (though everyone will have different opinions on the game), but it's also helpful to hear what people are enjoying most. Keep it coming, but please don't hesitate to reach out to our Support Portal if we can help with any bugs! 

http://hinterlandgames.com/support

• Upvote 1
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, SuperStriker16 said:

Anyone got a clue about what happens if you walk off into the ocean by accident, do you die? Does it count it like if you fell though? What happens?

I fell in last night.  Temp gauge dropped to 0.  I needed to stay above freezing for 12 hours to eliminate Hypo.  Ran up to a cabin and slept.

• Upvote 2

Had a good day today. Found the new clothes,all of them. Got some good loot from a memento box, and found the last of the new guns .  

Can't beachcomb because I've not had a blizzard in about 10 days.lol...😁 

Love this game.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Had a good day today. Found the new clothes,all of them. Got some good loot from a memento box, and found the last of the new guns .  

Can't beachcomb because I've not had a blizzard in about 10 days.lol...😁 

Love this game.

Very nice.  I still haven't found the hockey jersey and aviator's cap...don't tell me where they are!  I've been focused on finding the new bunker locations.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, hozz1235 said:

Very nice.  I still haven't found the hockey jersey and aviator's cap...don't tell me where they are!  I've been focused on finding the new bunker locations.

No worries, no spoilers..       I haven't really looked for them much but I did search desolation thoroughly today. No joy but in a place that size I'm not surprised.not many high or awkward areas. How many have you found?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SuperStriker16 said:

.  Are you referring to one of the poi plane crashes or do planes randomly crash now? is this a new feature I haven't heard of?

I'm presuming it's something to do with the sv update  to be honest I'm not sure why or what they've got to do with it but any chance of loot is good as far as I'm concerned 🙂

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SuperStriker16 said:

Are you referring to one of the poi plane crashes or do planes randomly crash now? is this a new feature I haven't heard of?

Not sure what "poi" is, but I've found...2-4 new crashed planes since SV. 

Some show up with the yellow shortwave, but recently, the one in CH did not trigger the shortwave.

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1