Main base or multiple across world

Deathridge

Hello fellow friends who are freezing waiting for tftft (I’m one Xbox) question do you guys who are stockpiling have only one main base in the whole world and bring everything you find to it or have one in every region with what you’ve found in Said region 

I think I prefer the latter but I do have regions I prefer and once the world is looted after day 200 mine is trappers in ML and my personal fav idk why fishing camp in CH

i look forward to your response        

Sincerely,

Deathridge

Also on Xbox 🙂

I always have a main base in pv farm and smaller bases in each of the other maps. Except desolation point because it's so far away and I so rarely go there I can't see the point. However I don't loot the three trailers there so I'll have something when I do go back.  

I have so much loot throughout that I can afford to leave things behind.  At least until I get a chance to try for another very long run again.

Multiple bases in each region and in all regions. A base basically consists of shelter, a dozen or so litres of water, a few tens of kilos of meat, excess tools, a cooking pot, whatever cloth I gathered from the immediate area that is too much for me to carry, maybe some cured leather, snares, and any top tier clothing as spares in case I get into a tussle with a bear or wolves and get some clothing ruined. I've been playing a long game (I'm 233 days in on a run where after I made my way up to TFTFT and the Forsaken Airfield. I currently have bases at Junker's Paddock, Mindful Cabin, Island Cabin, Brittle Cave (in FA) and the depot in the transition zone. I've been banging around between these locations with the occasional trip to the airport to score stuff. The idea is that I don't have to carry much stuff with me because it's waiting at my destination, along with emergency supplies (clothing etc) so that I'm always reasonably close to a place to scarper if the weather turns nasty or I get into it with the wildlife. This run's an exception, usually I have setups like this in three to five locations in all regions but this particular run is the one I started after the Second Save Enflushening specifically intended to get up to the far territories to explore. I figured I probably wouldn't last that long, but as it turned out I managed to evade death in the early going and my guy's now basically thriving in FA and is waiting for the next FT region to drop.

Region by region I tend to have hidey holes at: 

Old Stone Church in DP

Arch Cave in Crumbling Highway

That house up on the hill just outside Town Site in CH

The lookout in CH

Fishing Village, CH

Jackrabbit, CH

Cave near ML exit, Ravine

Camp Cabin, Construction Trailers, and Trappers in ML

That cave where you turn off the river in WR

Forest Cave, Signal Hill, Farmhouse, that cave on the river down from Thomson's, Community Hall, PV

The cave near Three Strikes, PV

The Abandoned Preppers Cache, PV

Old Spence, cave next to the cave to BI, Cave in the pillar near where the bear spawns near entrance to ML, all in FM

Maintenance Yard, Hunter's Lodge, BR

Mountaineer's, the cave next to Eric's Falls, Cave in Deer Clearing, TWM.

Bricklayer's, Substation, and the pen in BRM.

There's more, but you get the idea.....

Cheers!

• Upvote 3

In each region I can come across, I settle for 1 main camp with cloth, leather, pelts, saplings, charcoal, wood, food, water, medicine, tools, bedroll, oil, toolboxes, etc (basically everything from the area), and a secondary camp far from the main (usually out of the ways) with only clothes, boots, a few pelts, few tools, few medicine, some water (2-3l) and some food. Sometimes, for big regions I go for 2 or even 3 secondary camps. For instance, in PV my main is the farmstead, and my secondaries are : the Cave up the Hill (near WR cave), the abandoned prepper's cache, and Community Hall. In CH, on the contrary, I only have 2 bases : main in Quonset Garage, secondary in Jackrabbit Island House.

Finally, sometimes I just don't plan to really come back, and just leave things as they are. It's the case in DP, where I can go back to the camp I once used as main base in the region : the Rikken. No secondary.

For FA, I originally planned to have a secondary in each cabin and the main in the Hangar, but I decided against that finally: Mindful cabin is too much out of the way, I don't go in this quarter of the map anymore, except to hunt a bear if really needed... and then again, I'd prefer to stay in the crashed heli... Justin's is a nice place to stay, rabbits abund, you have 2 wolves patrolling nearby, wood is not a problem too and you have a cave just a few hundred meters away. But, it's very close to the hangar, so, again, no. That leaves me with main in Hangar and secondary in island's cabin.

Basically, having only one camp is like playing sedentary: you can do that, but it's pretty tough except in pilgrim settings. You are very quickly short on supplies... I'd say it's limiting yourself, so good for a challenge, but not for your everyday run ;)

Edited by DaGnome91
typo and filling some gaps...
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Deathridge said:

Hello fellow friends who are freezing waiting for tftft (I’m one Xbox) question do you guys who are stockpiling have only one main base in the whole world and bring everything you find to it or have one in every region with what you’ve found in Said region 

I think I prefer the latter but I do have regions I prefer and once the world is looted after day 200 mine is trappers in ML and my personal fav idk why fishing camp in CH

i look forward to your response        

Sincerely,

Deathridge

I tend to have regional bases. Some zones like BI and Blackrock, I just visit once, or at most twice. Then I leave just a small food and water depot at a central spot. For the other regions, I tend to have a regional base, but often leave a bit of water, fire wood and food in places where I know I will return.

I've also used Trapper's as a main base in a 400 day Voyageur run (about to end today). The first run I did. That is a good choice if the bear spawns there. For runs on higher difficulties, I've reverted to a more desentralised approach.

CH is a zone where I've never quite found a base I really like. I don't care for the wildlife walking straight past my front door so to speak, and Jackrabbit is a wee bit remote with no stove and no workbench, though the trek to the fishing camp isn't long. Qounset is just too iffy in my view, too many predators right outside.

In the late game, I like to stay in caves. The cave by Lake Monolith being a particular favourite, if only we could fish there....

On the whole, there is no right or wrong. Just play it like you prefer.

• Upvote 1

I used to set up safe houses in each region where I would keep supplies and other useful things at them.

I'm doing a 500 day challenge run right now and decided I needed something to do...so I opted to keep one base (Mountaineer's Hut in TWM), and transport ALL loot to that location.

It's bursting at the seams with loot now. Going to be sketching out all of the new zones soon, and I'm sure I'll be bringing a lot more back.

I generally just have one base which usually just holds my tools, food, and firewood. Everything else I leave behind when I don't need it. 

Once I loot all of the regions, I usually go to the Camp Office in Mystery Lake to grind the rest of my days. Fish and deer hunting there, and a day trip to the forge in Forlorn Muskeg. I usually take occasional trips to Bleak Inlet for more bullets too but that's about it. 

If I ever go to another region, I just take a hatchet and bow/rifle to gather wood and food whenever I need it. 

I do have one main Base where i stockpile everything, but regional bases with all medications, cloth, some arrow mats, food, at least blue tools and a few birch bark teas ready. Also 1 Jerry Can in mainbase, and spare ones in regions you often cross, prefered with fishing to replenish oil. So you have one big base where you hoard stuff (and use it for decoration) but when you wander around and something happens, you can ensure a quick recovery. Or replenish lost arrows, lantern fuel etc. After looting every map, i often go to some region i havent been in a while and live a while in it. Having a shelter stocked with essentials helps alot. One of the things i do to keep myself busy after i looted everything is carry the stuff i have twice or more out to my regional bases.

Mainbase is mostly Trappers, ML is amazing and probably best map for base because it connects to so many other regions, while being central with relatively mild weather and enough animals. My 514 days Interloper has his base in trappers.

2nd Choice is Jackrabbit Island, i picked that for my Gunloper as main base, to check the new beachcombing. Its kinda annoying though that its so remote, much longer travel to the new areas compared to trappers and no workbench in it. Quonset isnt an option. Because of the wolves, and because living in a garage isnt cozy :P

34 minutes ago, diggity said:

Multiple bases.  Around  the time TLD came out I saw a documentary about Siberian hunters who maintained multiple traplines and hunting shacks.  They circled around to each one, sometimes traveling 150 kms a day or more, usually with their trusty husky alongside, or running flat out behind the snowmobile.  They would restock, gather furs, do all the chores, and that was the day.  Then one or two days a week they stay in place and hunt. That quickly shifted my TLD strategy from one main to multiple bases.  Circle around to each one, keep them restocked, while doing whatever other goals you have in mind.    What stratvox says.

This is the way.

• Upvote 3

I do a lot of "one region" challenge runs.  In those runs, obviously, it usually works out that I have only one main base, especially if the region is small.  Since my loot acquisition is limited to whatever I find just in that one zone, these runs are more about doing without things than anything else.

If I do decide to take on the whole world (i.e. do a run that encompasses the entire map), then I use multiple bases.  I'll also stockpile sticks, water and food along my frequently travelled routes so I don't have to carry too much and I don't have to always go back to a "base" to restock.  For example, I'm constantly gathering sticks as I travel.  If the load gets too heavy, I'll just drop them in a bundle in a place where I can easily spot them along my route.  That way, if I'm going back through that area and a blizzard pops up and I'm in desperate need of sticks, I don't have to go looking for them scattered in the woods when I can spot a convenient bundle of them that I've left from a previous trip through that area.  I figure I'm the only person working the map, so the entire map is my "base" of operations.  For important extras like lanterns, hammers, etc. - I'll make notes in my journal so I don't forget where I have them.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Bases everywhere. By the end of my 500+ Interloper run (only stopped due to the update wipe) I had bases all over the place, as well as trails of items (usually sticks & coal, sometimes even raw meat) to follow in case I'm caught in a blizzard. Spray painted arrows in every cave for quick easy navigation. Stashes all over the place. I can keep myself quite busy by constantly roaming around, adding to my preps & strengthening my spider web of "trade routes".