Stupid things I have done in TLD recently Blog

19 hours ago, xanna said:

Harvested the meat from a rabbit, didn't cook it right away, went to harvest the guts, ate the raw rabbit instead 🤢  😵

- harvesting rabbit from inventory instead of dropping it and harvesting from the floor 🤦‍♂️

Wait you can harvest a rabbit from the floor? I thought you could only pick up rabbits? What's the difference between harvesting on floor and inventory?

The difference is in the scent: if you harvest directly from the floor, you have no scent on you until your harvesting is finished, whereas if you harvest from inventory you have the scent on you from the beginning and can lead a predator to you...

4 hours ago, Robbiieeee said:

Wait you can harvest a rabbit from the floor? I thought you could only pick up rabbits? What's the difference between harvesting on floor and inventory?

20230319142201_1.thumb.jpg.df3b4c30acdef46070bbe016f4377ec0.jpg

Yep, just click as though to pick it up, then press space to open the harvesting menu.

@DaGnome91may be right about the scent - though I thought harvesting attracts wildlife regardless, I'm sure the game says that somewhere but I can't find it now. Happy to be wrong! - but in the context of getting food poisoning, the benefit of harvesting from the ground is that you can't accidentally click on meat instead of the carcass the way I did.

Edited by xanna
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, xanna said:

though I thought harvesting attracts wildlife regardless, I'm sure the game says that somewhere

Ah, this is what I was thinking of. There's a load screen hint that says

"Quartering an animal carcass makes it easier to transport. But keep in mind, the quartering site may attract predators!"

which is not as general a warning as I thought.

4 hours ago, Robbiieeee said:

I do this quite frequently. I find it easier to drop the rabbits on the floor and harvest from left to right than to partially harvest a rabbit and navigate through the inventory to find the same one.

• Upvote 3

I can't believe I did this AGAIN! I have not been playing TLD much lately as I got another new game I have been spending time on, but today I decided to hop on an play a bit. I'm on day 320 of this survival run, and my goal is a minimum of 365 days in survival. Anyhow, my wife is playing with the dog upstairs, there is a loud noise, I go investigate. Dog is having the zoomies, so I decide to walk her. Forgot I was playing...get home from the walk, walk down to see my character literally dying of thirst! Forgot to hit ESC or exit survival, standing in the cabin above Crystal, slowly wasting away! So glad the dog wasn't interested in a long walk or I would have likely been crying in my beer over my dumbness.

This run has been a lot of fun, I have learned a lot even though I have been playing since near the beginning. Today, clear and crisp day, so I gathered wood and started to gather stones for another cache. Walking on Crystal, I suddenly realize the deer are acting odd...there is a bear coming right at me! I get off the ice, onto the ledge, pull out Vaughn's and one shot that sucker! Averaging a beer kill about every 12 days now. I did note the day in my notebook so I can start tracking beer spawn rates as I am interested in how often they spawn after a kill. Will post my results some day... 

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

I hunted the bear in Forlorn Muskeg from Low Blind. Missed a shot by going too high and long. After I had sent the bear fading in to the long dark, I went to fetch my wayward arrow... from the thin ice... *SPLOOSH*... Hypothermia.

Don't bowhunt over thin ice!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Doing some inventory management in a cave, in the dark. I dropped things in different piles, but not carefully because I couldn't really see. I dropped 4 arrowheads, and now I can't find them 😩 They are nowhere in the cave, I've dropped them, like, in a rock or a wall or something, somehow. Tragic :flaregun:

I lost two arrowheads because of hiding in textures in cave in TWM. The same applies for steps in BlackRock Prison. I mean those from the guard place to the inner parking place. I lost some spent cartridges there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, acada said:

I lost two arrowheads because of hiding in textures in cave in TWM. The same applies for steps in BlackRock Prison. I mean those from the guard place to the inner parking place. I lost some spent cartridges there.

Yeah, this was Timberwolf Mountain! The cave with the briefcase in it, near the rope that goes up to Deer Clearing.

17 hours ago, xanna said:

Yeah, this was Timberwolf Mountain! The cave with the briefcase in it, near the rope that goes up to Deer Clearing.

Not sure in which cave my arrowheads are lost. Recently I went through mines in Black Rock and saw a texture above ground. Whole rabbit could hide in the space between texture and ground. So arrowhead is easy to loose. Since then I will not drop small things in caves. Not sure whether they degrade quicker outside. But inside is lottery.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was in Forlorn Muskeg, left my base in the Hat Creek cave without taking my lantern (but I had my torches). Fast forward 6 hours, the wind blows out my torch and I’m blindly stumbling through the cave, fall, and snap my ankle. I had to light my only flare to make it to the main chamber…

On 5/21/2023 at 1:53 PM, conanjaguar said:

Was in Forlorn Muskeg, left my base in the Hat Creek cave without taking my lantern (but I had my torches). Fast forward 6 hours, the wind blows out my torch and I’m blindly stumbling through the cave, fall, and snap my ankle. I had to light my only flare to make it to the main chamber…

Lol! This is probably how things would actually go for me, if I ever found myself in Will's situation.

Side note on flares though - are they worth the weight? Lately I've been thinking I've carried flares There and Back Again, like they were my precious, but damn... they're heavy! Most times I just drop a decoy anyway.

On 5/21/2023 at 1:53 PM, conanjaguar said:

Is that the cave near the waterfall which takes you to Marsh Ridge?  If so, how was there wind in the cave?

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

Is that the cave near the waterfall which takes you to Marsh Ridge?  If so, how was there wind in the cave?

Yep, that’s the cave. And no, I was out gathering sticks, stayed out too long, and the wind blew out my torch, so I had to navigate the cave in darkness :D.

13 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Yep, that’s the cave. And no, I was out gathering sticks, stayed out too long, and the wind blew out my torch, so I had to navigate the cave in darkness :D.

Oh, gotcha, and you didn't have any way to light another torch?

On 3/19/2023 at 3:30 PM, xanna said:

Yep, just click as though to pick it up, then press space to open the harvesting menu.

@DaGnome91may be right about the scent - though I thought harvesting attracts wildlife regardless, I'm sure the game says that somewhere but I can't find it now. Happy to be wrong! - but in the context of getting food poisoning, the benefit of harvesting from the ground is that you can't accidentally click on meat instead of the carcass the way I did.

Thanks to learning something new again after played thousands of in game days!

One of the dumbest things I've done that I can't forgive myself for until now is failing to check if I was near enough the campfire I made to actually be getting the warmth. This was in Forlorn Muskeg, the campfire was was literally about a foot away but apparently I was probably a few inches short of actually being warmed by it and went to sleep for 8 hours. Froze to death and lost a long and resource-stable run. Since then I learned to:

1. Pay attention and triple check if I was actually getting warmth by campfires

2. Sleep in short intervals

BIG forehead slap that day, I still feel it when I think about this moment xD

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

My most recent mistake happened on my longest Interloper attempt to date.

I harvested a deer, cooked it there and rushed back from Mystery Lake to the Camp Office.

The next morning, after recovering most of my health, I'm feeling overconfident and think "It's not that far to Trappers, and it's only a few more pieces of cooked deer".

20 steps later, wolf pounces and I'm unable to break free. Dead on day 40.

• Upvote 1