Anyone thinks Ash Canyon is kind of boring?

desertedone

I used to avoid ash canyon but I forced myself to spend some time there and I really like it now.  It's always my starting place on a new run..  

It's hrv I hate! That place is a messy maze,at least at ground level. Higher up it's not so bad but I still won't spend any time there.

Edited by Leeanda
Spell checker mis-spelled something....irony 😁
  • Upvote 2

I like both regions very much, but that's just personal preference.

As for "nothing really defines it..."  I don't really think that's true.
Ash Canyon defining features:
The Gold Mine
Prospector's Folly
the Rope Bridges
Wolf's Jaw Overlook
Shattered Cove
Bitter Marsh
...etc...
I think all these (and the others I didn't bother to mention) have some rather unique terrain variations and little survival obstacles to consider/overcome.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
All-in-all, I'd say Ash Canyon has a feel to it that I think gives it its own unique sort of "personality."

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

While it's true that Ash Canyon is clearly derivative of Hushed River Valley, to say that it doesn't having thing that "defines it" is madness when it is the only region with the technical backpack. It's also, the region that hinterland started experimenting with some different types of one ways. An experiment that seems to have worked since I've never heard some complain about them and Hinterland has thrown a ton of them into TFTFT. As ManicManiac states there is a good handful of both visually and mechanically unique locations. 

It's Hushed River Valley that feels empty. There are what three or four points of interest. Most of the map looks the same and difficult figure out where you are. That doesn't mean Hushed River Valley is bad. It's supposed to be a mostly empty wilderness region. Ash canyon is similar in it's terrain, but is populated. Maybe that's what makes it less distinct, but I think the number of unique things going from the gold mine to the bitter marsh. Layered on top of difficult terrain makes it one of the best and distinctive regions.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I think the ice caves lend it a little distinctiveness. 

The ice caves and single fires are both unique to Hushed River Valley. And the ice caves at least are very cool. The thing that really sets It apart is what doesn't have though. It has no man made structures and thus is low on loot, much of the map lacks easily visible land marks and there's no work bench. No one is arguing that the region isn't distinctive. I'm arguing that most of it is tree's and cattails, where as Ash Canyon has something of note around every corner. I'm not attacking Hushed River Valley I'm defending Ash Canyon. In fact if I ranked the regions they would be right next to each other being number 7-8.

12 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

While it's true that Ash Canyon is clearly derivative of Hushed River Valley, to say that it doesn't having thing that "defines it" is madness when it is the only region with the technical backpack. It's also, the region that hinterland started experimenting with some different types of one ways. An experiment that seems to have worked since I've never heard some complain about them and Hinterland has thrown a ton of them into TFTFT. As ManicManiac states there is a good handful of both visually and mechanically unique locations. 

It's Hushed River Valley that feels empty. There are what three or four points of interest. Most of the map looks the same and difficult figure out where you are. That doesn't mean Hushed River Valley is bad. It's supposed to be a mostly empty wilderness region. Ash canyon is similar in it's terrain, but is populated. Maybe that's what makes it less distinct, but I think the number of unique things going from the gold mine to the bitter marsh. Layered on top of difficult terrain makes it one of the best and distinctive regions.

Linking ice caves, the waterfall chilling trap mechanic, moose satchel, the signal fire, signs of people that were there, pre-built snow shelters. 

Worst part about both regions is that they are at the ass end of nowhere.  Otherwise, they can be quite beautiful, and usually offer a decent amount of good loot, depending on the RNG.  Ash Canyon can be marginally explored in a couple of days with the right path.  And there are still tons of saplings there.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bean said:

Worst part about both regions is that they are at the ass end of nowhere.  Otherwise, they can be quite beautiful, and usually offer a decent amount of good loot, depending on the RNG.  Ash Canyon can be marginally explored in a couple of days with the right path.  And there are still tons of saplings there.  

That is/was the same with broken railroad.  Still is to console users..😊

One thing I had trouble with in ash was not finding many mushrooms.  Whether I just chose the wrong paths I don't know. But otherwise there is plenty of resources.

I thoroughly explored Ash Canyon on my long pre-update Voyageur run.  A first trip was for the technical backpack and crampons.  Once achieved I moved back to other regions to continuing exploring with these two unique loot items in hand.  What struck me about the western end of the map from Deer Clearing Cave to Gold Mine was the absence of wolves and bears.  The only real difficulty was the weather and rope climbs - Moose was not present on that trek.

Later I came back to Ash Canyon with the goal of finding every possible birch sapling, rifle round and revolver round as part of a plan to stretch my Voyageur run to 5,000 days.   The published on line map was invaluable.  I was impressed by the complications posed by altitude changes.  

All told I thought the loot was worth the exploration but the region never felt cozy unlike my bases in ML, CH, PV and TWM.

• Upvote 1

Have to say I disagree. It has absolutely beautiful views, it is so nice to observe the different hues of sunset contrasting agains the almost black rocks. Not to mention the actual charred woodlands and birch groves on the opposite side. It has tons of variety in a relatively small region. Crazy good loot and plentiful wildlife to hunt, fishing and decent coal spawns. Also connects to TWM, which is the best OG region by far. 

HRV is the same, it's always a loot fest and you acumulate so many pelts just by virtue of staying there. It's absolutely expansive and the multi-level layout can be confusing at first but once you know your way around the region and how to use the ice caves to move penalty-free, it's an absolute breeze.

AC and HRV are two of my favourite regions, I guess it comes down to personal preference. I love the more wild and undeveloped zones because they force you to face the cold and disorientation more frequently. 

Well, I think these responses go to show people enjoy different things for different reasons!  I'm glad HL has given us the diversity to decide.

Personally, I'm not too fond of AC - main reason being is the burnt trees.  Reminds me of burnt areas in our local forests - just feels dead and depressing.

AC is nothing but character for me! Almost too nuch so. I first encountered in awful weather arriving in the burnt forest and how atmospheric was that!? Hunched in the tiny burnt out hut, a wolf prowling outside not knowing where to head. Then walked the longest route, which was an incredible journey - but i wouldn't repeat it, which feels a big flaw. But its redemed by the area around the clombers cave being great for a long outdoor stay. Camped out in the cave, hunting deer and moose, watching the weather rage and settle - ita a great spot, just a little remote but worth returning to.

• Upvote 1