New Loading-Free Interior Locations

Noticed upon my arrival in the Transfer Pass region, the train station building with an interior that doesn't have a loading screen to go in and out of it. And the windows can be looked through.

I really think this is a nice change.:fire::x

- Gives a real feeling of *relief* when you cross the threshold and the temperature rises and the wind sounds outside get muffled as you step in.

- You can spy for predators before going outside.

- Being able to look out the windows is SO nice. Check on the weather and feel connected to the outdoors and the weather even when you're inside.

- Feels less claustrophobic inside.

- A real, direct sense of the day/night cycle while inside. Sometimes moonlight improves visibility inside which is very cool.

- Getting in and out is faster (less loading is always good).

I do find that all doors in this game open freakishly fast. Why am I opening doors with so much gusto? lol

The big downside though is that you no longer get an automatic save point when you step inside. You now have to 'waste' time sleeping or playing cards in order to trigger a save. And it's harder to remember to do so. This means interruptions (not now kids, mom has to play till night-time lol) or crashes (hopefully not) can be more painful.

Wondering... if most future locations will be like this (or past interiors revamped), it might be valuable to add another way to trigger a save. For example after mapping with charcoal or something that can't be easily overused but still feels significant. :coffee:

Anyway, all in all a change that has increased immersion, very cool.

20230108211352_1.jpg

Edited by Sherri
  • Upvote 4

Got to admit I had not paid attention to the fact that you can see out of the train station windows in the brief exploratory run I did. But something I did notice was the unmistakable sound of a bear prowling about outside. I didn't actually see it, even though I had a damn good look. But it definitely was the sound of a bear. So given how easy it would be to get jumped in that location, see through windows are even more of a bonus....

Will be interested to find out whether the bear is there or not. 🤣

• Like 1

There is way how to save game whenever. You go to options and change something like audio level. Save the change. It will trigger the game save as well. Then you can change the settings back and it will again trigger the game save.

On 1/10/2023 at 3:40 PM, past caring said:

Will be interested to find out whether the bear is there or not. 🤣

I was terrified by the noises too. I thought they were a cougar or something. But I think they're new deer noises?

I also enjoy these "outdoor interiors" They make the place more cozy while also showing you how thin the walls are between you and certain death. 

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall reading/discussing transition saves.  I seem to recall it was to prevent us from re-rolling the loot tables in a location (i.e. without a save point, you could enter, exit, enter, exit a location until a desired/good loot item appeared within based upon RNG).

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall reading/discussing transition saves.  I seem to recall it was to prevent us from re-rolling the loot tables in a location (i.e. without a save point, you could enter, exit, enter, exit a location until a desired/good loot item appeared within based upon RNG).

Wow that's bizzare.

I would have thought a new game creates a long seed code then all other random effects would be rolled off that seed & therefore you'd get the same result every time. Prevents that kind of shenanigans.

At least that's how I'd code it. 🤷‍♀️

Re. The idea of adding another way to manually save, what if you could build custom cairns, out of cloth and rocks? Takes time investment so you can't do it while in a dangerous situation, but it lets you create custom save points in any location you want to revisit, or to quickly save and quit in the wilderness, as long as you are not in an actively dangerous situation.

• Upvote 1

On 1/12/2023 at 1:55 AM, xanna said:

I tried it, and it doesn't work for me. If you're going by the fact that it says 'Saving' when you make a settings change, I'm pretty sure that just means it's saving your settings, not your game progress.

I tried it long time ago. Not sure about current status.