My first stalker run.

Leeanda

Just now, conanjaguar said:

@Leeanda

Congratulations on 100 days!
Even I, who recommended you do this, have not yet achieved 50 days on any difficulty... a testament to my impatience and terrible luck.

Thank you🙂

You have indeed had terrible luck but never give up.. 👍🙂 

Those pesky salesmen need to learn that no means no...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, conanjaguar said:

@Leeanda

Congratulations on 100 days!
Even I, who recommended you do this, have not yet achieved 50 days on any difficulty... a testament to my impatience and terrible luck.

Really? Oh suddenly I feel much better! I would last literally five minutes trying anything you do but my best run was 337 days.  Shows this is a game which allows all kinds of players to excel.

• Upvote 2

I left the hut with the intention of going to broken railroad so headed back to mystery lake expecting another ambush at the dam..  despite howling I didn't see anything until I got to the dam ledge ,one of the wolves from last time had died there. I took his hide and guts and left them in the dam to cure. I got to camp office seeing nothing but still hearing close howling. 

I was in two minds about carrying on in  this weather, but against my better judgement I took off towards forlorn.  It was getting windier and darker so got into the train and boiled some water while watching to see if the weather would pick up.  It didn't so left the train with a lit flare and lucky I did too.  Two or three wolves had been hanging around outside but scarpered as soon as they saw me.  By the time I'd got halfway across the tracks the weather was near blizzard conditions so I started running.. I didn't know whether to keep pushing on into broken or make a beeline for the farmstead.  I got to the train as it turned into a fully fledged blizzard so headed to the farm.   It wasn't cold luckily but my clothes were half soaked so I got a fire going ,boiled up some water then slept in two hour segments..  I woke to a yapping wolf and an Aurora so stayed up to watch it for a while.  Next morning  it was dark and thick heavy snow fell . It was too windy for torches and that wolf was still running round the place yapping.  

I'm not sure whether to carry on to broken railroad or stay and finish looting forlorn before going up to mountain town. There may be more loot up there than broken.  

Curse my fickle impatience🙂

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I was in two minds about carrying on in  this weather, 

🙈 thats usually how I die!

33 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I'm not sure whether to carry on to broken railroad or stay and finish looting forlorn before going up to mountain town. There may be more loot up there than broken.  

Curse my fickle impatience🙂

I'm not even going to try and help you decide because you'll only end up doing none of the above! 😄

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

🙈 thats usually how I die!

I'm not even going to try and help you decide because you'll only end up doing none of the above! 😄

If id gone across the ice I probably would've died too. 

Lol... so true..  I'll just have to see what mood I'm in tomorrow.. I'll probably end up in twm or coastal.😁

• Upvote 1

I don't know how you do it. I'm feeling uncomfortable going straight to AC & TWM when I haven't thoroughly looted every single place on the way never to go back 🤷‍♀️ The only places I go back to are ML/PV, and PV only for the times I've lasted long enough where I needed to craft ammo in Bleak. And ML is my home where I lug everything to (except the few things I leave in PV).

We are funny beans aren't we 😁

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

I don't know how you do it. I'm feeling uncomfortable going straight to AC & TWM when I haven't thoroughly looted every single place on the way never to go back 🤷‍♀️ The only places I go back to are ML/PV, and PV only for the times I've lasted long enough where I needed to craft ammo in Bleak. And ML is my home where I lug everything to (except the few things I leave in PV).

We are funny beans aren't we 😁

I'm always going where the mood takes me.  I have always had a main base at pv farm and mini bases everywhere else but I never take all the loot from one place and keep it in the bases. I like to  leave the less useful things  in case of emergencies or I get bored and fancy going to pick them up later on.. with the exception of ash which doesn't have much loot and blackrock because I've never been everywhere there and im not a fan of the place.

• Upvote 2

With a sleeping bag or a stim and some coffee TWM summit is a must (take a hacksaw with You, if You do not want to gamble). The AC gold mine can be done without sleeping bag too and the backpack and crampons are a worthy prize. If You have no stim for AC, try to find the path up from Bitter Marsh to Homestaeder's Respite. Then it is only about passing the bear.

Take some cloth and sticks with You for an emergency snow shelter.

Edited by mfuegemann
  • Upvote 2

@Leeanda

Beyond 100 days... Well done!

The skills you've been honing in Pilgrim are making themselves apparent.
The struggles finding firewood and with animal populations certainly drives up the difficulty (compared to what I know of typical Stalker runs).  The adaptability and strategic decision making on display is wonderful.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I'm keen on trying to catch up on @Sgt Socks adventure too.

• Upvote 3

Just now, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

Beyond 100 days... Well done!

The skills you've been honing in Pilgrim are making themselves apparent.
The struggles finding firewood and with animal populations certainly drives up the difficulty (compared to what I know of typical Stalker runs).  The adaptability and strategic decision making on display is wonderful.

Thank you,you're very kind, but I still have a few things to learn I'm sure..  the weather even though bad has yet to get cold enough to cause problems.  I still haven't plucked up the courage to sleep in an open cave for fear of maulings and I need to get used to harvesting in the open while around wolves... If I can find things to eat anyway.  

• Upvote 1

@ManicManiac

Bless you MM 🧡 There is plenty there to keep you going when you have the time. My first diary was shorter than expected, but an epic ending! The second is detailed because I was excited to explore Ash, barely having set foot there before. 

I am off on a long run atm but am simply playing it this time rather than documenting. But with the little time you have there is plenty of material for you.

Means a lot you wanting to read it. I had an unpleasant post on my second diary (removed by Admin) which shook my confidence. Anyway, your diary along with Leeanda and Conan inspired me in the first place.

A coffee will always be waiting for you when you have the time join me at my campfire 😊

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I'm always going where the mood takes me.  I have always had a main base at pv farm and mini bases everywhere else but I never take all the loot from one place and keep it in the bases. I like to  leave the less useful things  in case of emergencies or I get bored and fancy going to pick them up later on.. with the exception of ash which doesn't have much loot and blackrock because I've never been everywhere there and im not a fan of the place.

That's one of the reasons I love this game. It offers something for everyone and every play style. 

Except our shopping trollies of course ☹️

• Upvote 1

Well I got off to a great start this morning.. thick snow and dark I left the homestead with the intention of going to mountain town but I met a wolf before I got up the slope.  He followed at a distance so I wasn't too bothered  until I met his friend blocking my way. So I dropped the flare and took a shot but while he was running away the one behind decided to attack. I had no time to fire so got a thorough mauling.  

I carried on walking towards the log bridge , bandaged myself up and then..

Blizzard... I couldn't go back because I knew the wolves would still be there so I was forced to carry on.. not wanting to get lost I had two choices. Go to broken and hope I don't freeze before I get there or head back along the tracks.  I was getting cold very quickly so checked my clothes and realized I'd need to get home to fix them up. I stopped at the train to warm up for a couple of hours and get some health back then headed off back through mystery lake. I did briefly nip into the office to check the wolf hide but it wasn't cured yet. The blizzard ended near the dam bridge.  I don't mind the cold,wet or lack of visibility but that wind drives me nuts!!!  Next time I do a challenge I'm downing the wind variability 🙂

I got back to pv farm to find I didn't have enough guts to fix everything so just did my wolf coat and hat.   I could do with a few more wolf and rabbit hides  for the next lot of maulings I'm expecting.. so I thought I'd head to twm , after all how hard can it be to sniper those wolves from the hut...

I took a quick rest at the abandoned cache and came out to a blizzard but thought "why not,at least I'll be safe" and headed off to the hut.  Despite the so called sheltered spots on that trail I got very cold very quickly and that wind faced me head on no matter which way I faced.. 

I got to the hut ,lit a fire and started boiling water and some coffee. 

While the water boiled I stood at the door scanning for wolves but could only make out one-way off in the distance. I had no food except some cat tails ,a rancid fish and a piece of wolf meat outside. So without thinking I ate the wolf meat. I'm lucky I didn't get parasites but it's something I completely forgot about.. I wanted to get some fishing done but again the lack of sticks and the bug had not helped at all.  I was wondering what to do when I heard the growl. There's definitely a blind side at that hut so fired a random shot . 

We played cat and mouse for a while before I decided I'd had enough and I headed back to the hut before it got too dark.  He followed then just walked off but I could hear him growling for several hours.. I ate a few cat tails and slept til morning.  Next morning I spied a wolf in the distance so tried to shot it, I missed,or thought I had.  There must've been two standing together,one I'd killed and the other just scared.  I couldn't eat him anyway and I was desperate for food so broke up the shelf and headed to the hut.  A growl behind me followed me until got inside but I was reluctant to fish as I don't know how safe those huts are.  Two other wolves were hanging around out the front too so I spent some time ,and quite a bit of ammo,trying to kill them. Let's just say  I got them , eventually..🙂. But there was still one wolf hanging around near the bunny area. . After lots of missed shots ,he took down a deer so I tried to kill him.  I thought I'd hit it so went to get the deer meat.. 

I'm glad the fire was there and that I'd only took a tiny bit of meat as when I stopped to look up he was right in front of me,just silently staring. 

I took a shot and of course missed but it ran off up the hill. I took one more tiny piece of meat when I saw it skulking down towards me.  I took a shot again ,and he disappeared.  I took a torch and went to check for blood but didn't see any but I found a bunny so took it back to the fire. I took the meat expecting him to turn back up but nothing.  I finished what cooking I could and took all the guts back to the hut.   I slept for the night and woke to the sounds of crows everywhere.  I headed over to the first wolf kill and took the hide and guts expecting something to turn up but nothing.. so I'm in the hut now waiting for the sticks to hopefully return.  I hope they do because I have only got one left and nothing else. If it gets cold in the night I'm going to be in serious trouble.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

. He followed at a distance so I wasn't too bothered  until I met his friend blocking my way.

Oh that's just bloody sneaky. Not a lot you could do in that situation! 🤷‍♀️

I don't mind the cold,wet or lack of visibility but that wind drives me nuts!!!  Next time I do a challenge I'm downing the wind variability 🙂

I know exactly what you mean! It gets on my nerves too, and no matter which way you turn its nearly always a headwind! ☹️ Very much like where I live in real life! It is good there is such a detailed custom function, allows everyone to play with their own preferences.

I'm lucky I didn't get parasites but it's something I completely forgot about..

Sometimes you have to take the risk. I was incredibly unlucky to get them with only 1% risk. Just bear in mind that if you do get them you will need 10 doses of antibiotics or reishi teas to recover.

How close to level 5 cooking are you? It might be worth harvesting some of the wolf meat in 0.5kg steaks and cook them, to help level, and the meat can be stored outside for when you are able to eat it. I know that's not always possible, especially when the sticks seem to be absent, but if you get the chance it really does help. 

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Let's just say  I got them , eventually..🙂.

Hehehe... I knew you would 😉👍

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I hope they do because I have only got one left and nothing else. If it gets cold in the night I'm going to be in serious trouble.

Do you not have a hatchet or hacksaw? I always carry one or the other no matter what. Admittedly I think you have a stick bug (even on Stalker I never had the trouble you're having) but you do need some way of getting firewood no matter where you are. The cold is more likely to kill you than the wolves in many ways.

I will be crossing my fingers for it to snow sticks overnight! 🤞🧡

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sgt Socks said:

Oh that's just bloody sneaky. Not a lot you could do in that situation! 🤷‍♀️

I know exactly what you mean! It gets on my nerves too, and no matter which way you turn its nearly always a headwind! ☹️ Very much like where I live in real life! It is good there is such a detailed custom function, allows everyone to play with their own preferences.

Sometimes you have to take the risk. I was incredibly unlucky to get them with only 1% risk. Just bear in mind that if you do get them you will need 10 doses of antibiotics or reishi teas to recover.

How close to level 5 cooking are you? It might be worth harvesting some of the wolf meat in 0.5kg steaks and cook them, to help level, and the meat can be stored outside for when you are able to eat it. I know that's not always possible, especially when the sticks seem to be absent, but if you get the chance it really does help. 

Hehehe... I knew you would 😉👍

Do you not have a hatchet or hacksaw? I always carry one or the other no matter what. Admittedly I think you have a stick bug (even on Stalker I never had the trouble you're having) but you do need some way of getting firewood no matter where you are. The cold is more likely to kill you than the wolves in many ways.

I will be crossing my fingers for it to snow sticks overnight! 🤞🧡

I was going to change the wind but I wanted to keep it as much as stalker as I could. Wish I hadn't though🙂. Plus I do love the silent blizzards.

Don't worry there's plenty of antibiotics scattered around. I always carry them even on pilgrim .  I'm halfway between level 4_5.  If the weather holds I can finish the deer and maybe a wolf or two..

I have a hatchet but between the weather ,the wolves and the bug I haven't had much chance to chop limbs up.  

• Upvote 1

Phew. As long as you have access to antibiotics. My snowball was super scary for a while there, thank god for the shrooms!

Get chopping if you can, difficult I know, but I don't want you freezing to death! 

Ooh you're close to 5! Cook everything and anything, teas, coffee, animals... then you can eat the world! 😁

Phew. As long as you have access to antibiotics. My snowball was super scary for a while there, thank god for the shrooms!

Get chopping if you can, difficult I know, but I don't want you freezing to death! 

Ooh you're close to 5! Cook everything and anything, teas, coffee, animals... then you can eat the world! 😁

I do try but I seem to be getting a lot of blizzards lately.  I'm not quite as brave as @conanjaguarwhen it comes to stick fighting with wolves.

If only we could throw them🤔🙂.   Here boy! Fetch!😁

• Like 1

@Leeanda

P.S. Just thought. Reclaimed wood. When you're zipping through places you can break down small and large crates by hand, make sure you have some on you. It's not the best and more difficult to use as a starter but at least this is a guaranteed source of firewood for you until you can start getting some wood stocks set up

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Leeanda said:

I do try but I seem to be getting a lot of blizzards lately.  I'm not quite as brave as @conanjaguarwhen it comes to stick fighting with wolves.

If only we could throw them🤔🙂.   Here boy! Fetch!😁

I dont think any of us are as brave as that! Grab what you can when you can.  Carry some if you can - if it means dropping some of the other "stuff" we like to lug around by the trolley full so be it, at least you will be warm 🧡

• Upvote 1

P.S. Just thought. Reclaimed wood. When you're zipping through places you can break down small and large crates by hand, make sure you have some on you. It's not the best and more difficult to use as a starter but at least this is a guaranteed source of firewood for you until you can start getting some wood stocks set up

Thank you but I already do. Twm hut is empty so are half the other building's Ive been in. Wish I could break down one of those beds🙂

Heres where the journey of yet another Astrid ends...

I spent two days between the hut and fishing hut . Having to chop up wood until near freezing and just fishing was getting very monotonous.  And to be honest I haven't been enjoying it this last few days.  It's just the pilgrimer in me.. 

Anyway on day three I decided to head down to the birch area to try and find some sticks. I saw a wolf and got the grand idea to tease him.  I threw the lit torch at him and got onto the low fallen tree but I didn't get quite high enough..  I got a very thorough mauling.  I lost three quarters of my life and got multiple sprains. And half my clothes were wrecked.I ran out of both painkillers and bandages so made my way incredibly slowly back to the hut.. or tried to..  the blizzard that had been threatening all day finally blew in..  I got slightly lost somehow and by the time I realised where I was it was too late. 

I froze to death right next to the pier ..  on day 111.

It's certainly been an eye opener for me playing stalker.  I can understand how people like the challenge.. the harsh weather has actually appealed to me since I started this run and I might take it with me when I start my new pilgrim run.  Without the wind of course,it's still my nemesis even on pilgrim.🙂.   

It's been full of surprises,some good,like the loot,and some bad but overall it's been a good experience and I'm glad I did it.. 

But once is enough😁

If anyone has any new challenge ideas for the near future id love to hear them... As long as there's no bears.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1