My first stalker run.

Leeanda

I've always played pilgrim so for a bit of a challenge I've decided to drop myself into a stalker run.   I've taken bears off and I might have accidentally taken moose off too. But I hope not as I will struggle without the extra carry weight.  The only other thing I've altered is the multiplier from 1 to 2.  Purely because I hope it helps with my impatience a little. I doubt it though.🙂 

Day 1.  I started in Mystery lake to light snow behind the three trailers. As soon as I spawned I heard howling,so I quickly ducked inside and I searched all three and found a lantern ,some fuel and a few worn clothes.   I made a fire at the stove and boiled some water and pulled a lot of torches. 

I could see a wolf on the other side of the road but it didn't seem to be moving. So I skirted the edge of the rocks and made my way slowly to the dam,expecting some sort of ambush near the bridge but there was nothing. There were no deer on the lake either. I nipped down underneath to see if the rifle was there but sadly not. 

I spent most of the afternoon searching the dam and got lucky. Lots of ammo ,a thick and a thin sweater,new boots and an expo coat,combat trousers and ear wrap. I was pleasantly surprised to find such good stuff on stalker so early in the game. I also got an axe,two knifes and my first stim.   I did expect to find more than one flare though. 

I left the dam slightly overweight - already🙂. And decided to head to the tower . Keeping high on the rocks I followed the tracks expecting to see wolves but yet again nothing.  I know they should be around ,I can hear them.  I got to the tower without incident . There were two cooking books in there ,a can opener and some painkillers but nothing else really.  I got there just in time as a short blizzard blew up followed by an aurora,I've no wish to get mauled on day one so I broke up some furniture and spent the night there.   

I might be unlucky or this run or  bugged but I've only found three sticks so far. I've had to break up most things I could find inside but I can't spend too much time indoors.ive got to get used to the cabin fever setting being on. And as my eyesight isn't the best I need to sleep indoors as much as possible at night.

I'm now on day two and just about to leave the tower. I'm hoping I can get to the office and then trappers without too much of a problem. I need a weapon of some sort. One flare is not going to get me far if it's windy. 

• Upvote 7

I left the tower in heavy fog,not the most ideal weather but needs must.   I made my way down to the train car but was greeted by an unhappy wolf.  I threw the torch at him and got inside to check for loot but all he had was a cleaning kit.  The wolf turned up again and barred the door briefly before running away. I checked the corpse outside and got two flares,which proved useful not so long after.  I made my way to camp office and had a look round. Only a few pieces of wood and a mag lens.  I made my way to trappers but nearly got ambushed by a wolf on the tracks. I lit the flare and veered left down towards clearcut but near the bottom of the hill I spied two more wolves so skirted high up the slope past them.  That was sprain nos. 1 & 2. 

I followed the cliffside until I got to trappers and went in to hopefully find a weapon.  No such luck but I did find a pair of decent mukluks. And my second box of herbal tea. 

I boiled up some water and a couple of teas ,then pulled some torches out the last hours fire.  I decided to go on to the lonely cabin and see if the bow was at the hide on the way. Luckily it was but no arrows yet. I found nothing at the cabin so had a quick look for the cache while I was there. By this time it was getting late so I headed back to trappers for the night.  Unsure where to go next morning I thought I'd cut across and see if I could find the weapon cache,- you can but hope🙂.  However I cut too far across and met a wolf who was determined to follow me even on the very steep slopes I was on.   Sprains 3.4 and 5...  All for nothing as it turned out. At least I've narrowed it down anyway.   It's been surprisingly warm so far,I've not been checking very often but apart from day 4 early morning it's been in the plus rather than minus figures. 

I cut across toward the broken tower from there and met two friends who wanted to play.  But I wanted to get on and I ignored them.  Apart from the rope and luckily a few tins of food I found nothing of much use.  Still no weapon. So now I'm back at trappers getting more torches and hoping the wind doesn't get worse. I have to check the fishing huts and cabins before I leave mystery lake .  I'm not sure whether to go to pv or coastal to find a weapon. I know pv much better and I might find a cache but the weather isn't going to be in my favour I think.  So for now I'll enjoy the mainly blue skies of mystery lake while I can.🙂

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

If you feel like doing a bit of climbing, then there will likely be a rifle in Milton, either in the Ranger Station or in the green car behind the Post Office.

I did briefly think of heading there yesterday ,...just so.  Overburdened 😁.  

Thank you.

What wonderful early clothing finds! In some ways that's more important than the weapon at the very start of a run. 

How is the stick situation? That does sound odd.... and very difficult for.sure

ML weapons. In the dam, did you check underneath the wooden steps at both ends of the room with the fire barrel in it?

Other possible places to the ones you mentioned are:  trail behind cabin office; one of the lakeside cabins (can't remember which one).

You're doing great! It's a hell of a.change from Pilgrim. I remember when I first did it, you're doing far better than me.

And I'm laughing at the over encumbered comments, I'm a terrible loot goblin and try to carry everything *and* the kitchen sink 😁

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 1

Milton is definitely worth a try for a weapon, there's quite a few places there. As well as where Conan suggests I have also found one at Paradise Meadows, the cave just beyond the radio tower, one of the main Milton Houses (can't remember which one), the church. Also two possible spots on the top trail, just before you get to Spruce Bridge (watch out, there may be a Bear!). One can be in the car and the other by a body.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I've always played pilgrim so for a bit of a challenge I've decided to drop myself into a stalker run.   I've taken bears off and I might have accidentally taken moose off too. But I hope not as I will struggle without the extra carry weight.  The only other thing I've altered is the multiplier from 1 to 2.  Purely because I hope it helps with my impatience a little. I doubt it though.🙂 

Day 1.  I started in Mystery lake to light snow behind the three trailers. As soon as I spawned I heard howling,so I quickly ducked inside and I searched all three and found a lantern ,some fuel and a few worn clothes.   I made a fire at the stove and boiled some water and pulled a lot of torches. 

I could see a wolf on the other side of the road but it didn't seem to be moving. So I skirted the edge of the rocks and made my way slowly to the dam,expecting some sort of ambush near the bridge but there was nothing. There were no deer on the lake either. I nipped down underneath to see if the rifle was there but sadly not. 

I spent most of the afternoon searching the dam and got lucky. Lots of ammo ,a thick and a thin sweater,new boots and an expo coat,combat trousers and ear wrap. I was pleasantly surprised to find such good stuff on stalker so early in the game. I also got an axe,two knifes and my first stim.   I did expect to find more than one flare though. 

I left the dam slightly overweight - already🙂. And decided to head to the tower . Keeping high on the rocks I followed the tracks expecting to see wolves but yet again nothing.  I know they should be around ,I can hear them.  I got to the tower without incident . There were two cooking books in there ,a can opener and some painkillers but nothing else really.  I got there just in time as a short blizzard blew up followed by an aurora,I've no wish to get mauled on day one so I broke up some furniture and spent the night there.   

I might be unlucky or this run or  bugged but I've only found three sticks so far. I've had to break up most things I could find inside but I can't spend too much time indoors.ive got to get used to the cabin fever setting being on. And as my eyesight isn't the best I need to sleep indoors as much as possible at night.

I'm now on day two and just about to leave the tower. I'm hoping I can get to the office and then trappers without too much of a problem. I need a weapon of some sort. One flare is not going to get me far if it's windy. 

Great to see Your leap from Pilgrim to Stalker. You will not regret it :D and in some time Loper awaits 😉

I keep my thumbs up for You !!!

• Upvote 1

Just thought of you as I'm wandering into the Ravine from ML....

Cabin Fever. The Ravine is a fantastic place to make camp. Keep a stock of everything you might need for a little holiday; cooking vessel, maybe a hatchet if you have a spare, fire making etc. The caves here count as outside and there are no predators to worry about. Its a little outside oasis which is easy to survive and keep warm in, tucked at the back of the cave especially. This way you can help alleviate Cabin Fever if you get it or you can stay regularly to keep it at bay. Without the stress and worry about freezing to death or being mauled by wildlife. There are deer and rabbits too, to build up a little stock of food, boosting cooking skill as well. Get that to level 5 ASAP and you'll be able to eat anything manufactured or wildlife, even ruined, without fear of parasites or food poisoning.

There's also a good supply of birch bark here too, which can be invaluable on Stalker to make tea which restores your condition.

Right, better get back to my little Ravine holiday. I hope you are faring well and that sticks are in abundance!

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2

I woke to heavy fog this morning... Good old mystery lake.  Because of the fog and the fact I feel naked without the rifle I decided to take @conanjaguar advice and head to Milton.  I left the rope and a few other things at trappers and made my way through the cave,hoping there'd be at least one flare in there but no luck.  There were a few pieces of coal though.   Still no sticks?🤔 

I made my way down the climb expecting at least a few rabbits and a wolf but there was neither.  I've yet to see a bunny on this run.. 

I had to sleep in the cave for a few hours before climbing up so had a quick rest and made a few teas.  I got to the park office in very windy snowy weather,and I was afraid I'd have to go to the garage for the night.  I didn't fancy an ambush in the dark so went outside to chop up the log that was there only to find that the disappearing limbs bug had kicked in.  Luckily I didn't need it as the weather was ,yet again, warm enough. 

hallelujah!😁. My beloved rifle was leaning up against the wall.   Not great condition but I had several kits back at trappers.  Next morning I wasn't in the mood for Milton so made my way back to mystery lake.   I spent most of the day searching the fishing huts and cabins. Yet again I get the weird bugs.. before I went in the first one ,two were intact. When I came back out all three were intact.im not complaining though 🙂  I climbed up the short rope to check the cave but there was nothing in there,however I did get the medical cache.  Some much needed food,3 stims,and plenty of bandages and painkillers.  .. 

I decided to spend the night at the ravine and get the flare gun in the morning,but when I got there I realized I'd left the rope at trappers.   I checked the railcar and nothing so I was just about to head back to ml when I thought about the other cave in the ravine.  I got very lucky,it was there.  I tried to kill the bunny that was in the back of the cave but I was so overweight I couldn't get to it in time 🤣. I lost my first rabbitskin and my only stone. 

The next morning I made my way down and got the flare gun.  It was while I was down there that I thought "get the cannery note".   

I had to learn about t-wolves sooner or later...  I nearly made it to the tower before one spied me.. however it was not the one that took a nip out my backside.   I fired a flare at the approaching one and ran to the tower while they'd run off.  I got in there safely and healed my wound.  Bingo! ,the bearskin bedroll., In very good condition.  I know it's only going to last so long but it'll be a great help until it rots away. I'll just have to use it sparingly.  I could hear the wolves outside for a while but as soon as they gave up ,I thought I'd place the rope for future use.  I got surrounded as soon as I reached the bottom of the stairs.  Crafty things.🙂. One came for me and I tried to fire the flare gun but it didn't work.  No idea why,it's in good condition.  I promptly got a good mauling.   I slipped down the side rocks where they couldn't reach me and tended my wounds.  I now had one above me and three below .  After a couple of flares later I thought I'd try the rifle to get rid of that last little bit of morale. Let's just say ,they were wasted.🙂. Damn dogs don't keep still long enough and keep disappearing over the hill.  I finally got a shot close enough to get rid of them. I ran up towards the cave and realized that bleak is not very warm.  I was half frozen with half my life gone already. I made a fire and drank a herbal tea. Luckily there was some old man's beard outside as I'd run out and left the bottle at the ravine to save weight.  I spent a few hours resting and then headed back to the ravine. I used a stim to climb up ,picked up my gear and ran most of the way to the dam. I'm now encamped for the night upstairs. Catching up on my reading and sorting my gear out..  I'm still overburdened  but it's a long way to the technical backpack and I'm not quite ready for ash yet. 

• Upvote 3

@Sgt Socks thank you again..  I know it's a haven , usually... Apart from that one bunny in the furthest cave though I haven't seen anything else there. No deer at all or any more rabbits.  Might have a bugged run I think. 

I hope you enjoy your break there🙂 

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, James Hickok said:

Great to see Your leap from Pilgrim to Stalker. You will not regret it :D and in some time Loper awaits 😉

I keep my thumbs up for You !!!

Thank you but this is just a challenge.  I'm a born and bred pilgrimer.🙂. I love looking for all that loot. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I had to learn about t-wolves sooner or later..

Wow, in Bleak Hell already? 

If we must die, let it be early in the run, before we get any farther.

Do you have ingredients to make gunpowder yet? If not, then going to the cannery will just be a waste of bullets.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I love looking for all that loot. 

Oh yeah, a woman after my own heart! (Gosh unless I've just insulted a man.....)

I'm an "old lady gamer" and a committed loot goblin too. Nothing like finding lots and lots of stuff and carting it about everywhere 😁 It's actually why I play my own custom game with good loot levels, less wolf aggression/timberwolf morale but more bears (they scare me most) and very, very dangerous weather. I needed to make it much harder for myself to compensate for the lots of lovely loot. At the moment I keep freezing even with the Bear coat, Moose Cloak, one Cowichan sweater and one fisherman's sweater. Plus Deerskin pants, rabbit head and hands and insulated boots (couldn't find those mukluks anywhere).

I am VERY impressed with your progress and your balls, it took me a long time to brave Bleak Inlet and TWM. You are going to rock this Leeanda! Especially now you found the Golden Rifle.

Laughed out loud about you trying to kill that bunny in the cave 😄 The little bugger always gets past me too.

Weird bug though... might be worth raising a ticket. Overall its definitely getting in your way.

PS I do apologise if it seemed like I was teaching you to suck eggs. Definitely not intentional. I was just throwing out everything I could think of in case it might be of use, not knowing what you do or don't know. I feel invested in your first Stalker journey for some reason and want to help if I can.

• Upvote 1

I made my way through the dam,opening the lockers I couldn't on my first search..  I found another pair of snow pants ,earmuffs and a combat jacket and a cowichan sweater.🙂. I wasn't expecting such good clothing on stalker,I'm wondering what else I'm going to find. 

I made my way through the cave to grey snowy weather,not that I expected any different for pv😁. I headed down to the fishing hut to check for the revolver but no luck so checking for the two caches on the way I made my way up to the tower,no sign of any animals so far.  There I found another combat jacket,and more snow pants,coffee and the revolver.  I fixed my clothes up while a  mini blizzard roared almost silently away . 

I goated down the cliff , exhausted and of course very overweight when I noticed the sky was a lovely shade of green.  Presuming an aurora I ran as slowly as I could to the small barn.  I had no wish to come across aurora wolves but there was nothing around .  I slept in the barn and as I left it next morning there was a thick  green fog so I retreated back inside until it passed.  I made my way to the farm expecting at least to hear wolves but I heard or saw nothing... A lot like my pilgrim runs really😁. I've just finished looting the place ,there wasn't much but I found my first pair of socks and first hat.  I'm now on the porch doing a spot of reading before I decide where to go next..  I may look for the cache before making any big travel plans. 

• Upvote 2

@conanjaguar. It was only convenient at that time but I did know I'd have to face them sooner or later so thought "why the heck not".

@Sgt Socks no worries . Yes I am a lady ,though some would agree to differ😁. I'm also of the not so young persuasion.  

I've been playing for over three years but mainly pilgrim so I might have some knowledge of things ,I'm more than happy to admit I need help at times so I appreciate your help . No need for concern about upsetting me ,I have a thick hide🙂

2 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

But your bum definitely doesn't look big in it! 😁

Can't be thicker than the Moose though. Those big buggers always make me nervous. If you don't get a crit and they choose to charge not run.... gulp! 

LoL.  Thank you.   

I haven't seen any rubbings yet ,but as I said I may have accidentally took them off in the settings..  it's not often I've been charged at ,my first trampling was only about 6 months ago which was deliberately done out of curiosity 😁.  I'm so impatient I killed astrid off after because I couldn't bear not running for a while....  I have issues🙂.  

They are rather frightening though but not as much as that bear... I hate that cutscene.  

32 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I made my way to the farm expecting at least to hear wolves but I heard or saw nothing... A lot like my pilgrim runs really😁

Don't let it lull you into a false sense of security. And CH/MT on Stalker still give me nightmares. Everything is in such close proximity they're on you before you can even process the growl. BR and the Crumbling Highway to/from DP also gave me real problems. I don't handle jump scares well lol.

1 minute ago, Sgt Socks said:

Don't let it lull you into a false sense of security. And CH/MT on Stalker still give me nightmares. Everything is in such close proximity they're on you before you can even process the growl. BR and the Crumbling Highway to/from DP also gave me real problems. I don't handle jump scares well lol.

Don't worry I won't...  Total silence makes me suspicious to say the least, even on pilgrim but stalker... No chance.  Some of those snow mounds and lumps and bumps are really well placed by the devs....  Walking on the actual path leading to pv farm for instance.. it's amazing how a bear can just turn up right in front of you.. that's why I walk on the highest part on the side..  coastal ,near quonset is the same ,if not worse I think.. 

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

It's not often I've been charged at ,my first trampling was only about 6 months ago which was deliberately done out of curiosity 😁.  I'm so impatient I killed astrid off after because I couldn't bear not running for a while....  I have issues🙂.  

They are rather frightening though but not as much as that bear... I hate that cutscene.  

Maybe I should locate some deodorant on my travels then. I've been trampled in many a moose encounter. Lol at you doing it on purpose out of curiosity, and killing her off afterwards! I think I may have met someone more impatient than me 😄

I hear you on the Bear cutscene too. They really do scare me. On my current run there was a spawn at the PV to ML cave in PV. The first time I was walking along and heard it roar behind me, only just made it. Panic attack! After that I crept up to the area every time and it *still* seemed to come out of nowhere! Then I try and get back from BR through FM while struggling with hypothermia. They had hidden from me on the way from ML, on the way back there was one right at the BR entrance and then by the desperately needed broken railroad car. I nearly lost my 200 day survivor that day! 

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Don't worry I won't...  Total silence makes me suspicious to say the least, even on pilgrim but stalker... No chance.  Some of those snow mounds and lumps and bumps are really well placed by the devs....  Walking on the actual path leading to pv farm for instance.. it's amazing how a bear can just turn up right in front of you.. that's why I walk on the highest part on the side..  coastal ,near quonset is the same ,if not worse I think.. 

You're smart. Good, I don't have to worry about you! I'm a big fan of walking off the path where I can for exactly the reasons you describe. Indeed those sneaky devs have been quite sadistic in some landscape choices! I always try and avoid wherever possible too. It's in those areas where you can't do it which make my heart beat out of my chest!

3 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

Maybe I should locate some deodorant on my travels then. I've been trampled in many a moose encounter. Lol at you doing it on purpose out of curiosity, and killing her off afterwards! I think I may have met someone more impatient than me 😄

I hear you on the Bear cutscene too. They really do scare me. On my current run there was a spawn at the PV to ML cave in PV. The first time I was walking along and heard it roar behind me, only just made it. Panic attack! After that I crept up to the area every time and it *still* seemed to come out of nowhere! Then I try and get back from BR through FM while struggling with hypothermia. They had hidden from me on the way from ML, on the way back there was one right at the BR entrance and then by the desperately needed broken railroad car. I nearly lost my 200 day survivor that day! 

People use the term walking simulator(which I don't like or agree with).  But for me it's like the Olympics 😁. My first test was running,quickly followed by blizzard . I tried to do both at once so spent lots of time in pv.  I sleep twice a day on pilgrim.   

That sounds very unlucky.  They have a nasty habit of showing up when you don't want them.. but blocking your way when there's nowhere to go is very sneaky. I'm glad you made it through.