My first stalker run.

Leeanda

One thing you might find helpful, if you haven't done already, is to change the struggle input to push and hold, rather than the carpal tunnel inducing quick clicks. At least I found that helpful.

I'm 50 days into my first interloper run, and I must say I do not miss the crazy amount of wolves on stalker. I do find the lack of loot somewhat depressing. Somehow, I think my preferred mix now is a custom game with interloper everything, but with guns and stalker loot. I plan to soldier on to 100 days on interloper, and then see if I want to keep going with it.

Best of luck on your run :)

Edited by Jotunheim
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jotunheim said:

One thing you might find helpful, if you haven't done already, is to change the struggle input to push and hold, rather than the carpal tunnel inducing quick clicks. At least I found that helpful.

I'm 50 days into my first interloper run, and I must say I do not miss the crazy amount of wolves on stalker. I do find the lack of loot somewhat depressing. Somehow, I think my preferred mix now is a custom game with interloper everything, but with guns and stalker loot. I plan to soldier on to 100 days on interloper, and then see if I want to keep going with it.

Thank you and the same to you. 🙂 

I started using the press and hold a few years ago ,it's a godsend especially on the Xbox. 

• Upvote 2

I got through the dam and back to pv farm without any trouble ,and yet again no other animals except a lone bunny.   The high winds have been constant so torches were just extra carry weight. After stowing any 'unnecessary' items I slept til early dawn.  A blizzard blew up as soon as I left the house so I spent half of the  day reading on the porch.  When it stopped I headed across to the community hall and houses. I hadn't looked in most of them last time  and found some much needed food.  By the time I'd finished it was getting dark so I read for an hour.  I did want to push on but just as I was about to leave the store an aurora turned up so I spent the night in there.  Next morning was not in my favour either, a dense fog blanketed the ground and I didn't want to wander blindly through it so I sat in the car and read until it lifted. I went up the hill just over the bridge hoping to avoid wolves on the road but didn't get far before I heard the bark.  I lit a flare and sidled round it carefully and it followed me all the way to the Coastal mine . 

Somehow I was overburdened again by the time I got out the other end of the mine. Not sure why,I didn't pick up much.🙂

It took about 15 seconds before I heard the now familiar growl so again I lit a flare and sidled up and round him staying on the left above the log fence until I reached the tower.  It followed me there but lost interest and turned it's attention onto the deer running in circles .  I found some food ,ammo and another book.   I couldn't see the wolf from the tower so I snuck down the stairs and goated down the side of the climb until I reached the cabins.  I was undecided about heading to quonset so started walking down to the right instead.  I searched the mine and house nearby but my fickleness was urging me to the garage.   Just as I got over the floating logs I heard the bark..  yet another flare and a long walk..now I truly  know why it's called stalker😁

I got to the cabins near the garage and just as I got to the top of the snow mound I saw a wolf. 

Now I had one behind and one in front.. I thought that if a wolf was in pursuit ,that others wouldn't pursue you at the same time?   

I thought I was in trouble when I got stuck on the railing at the side of the road but I got free and thankfully got into the garage with my throat intact.  I looted the garage ,sorted my pack out as it was extremely heavy for some reason.🙂 I wasnt really tired but as I was debating whether to go back outside or not the computer came on.  That made my mind up for me so I read for a couple of hours and went to sleep.  I've just woken to the dying aurora light and no sound of wind for a change.  I might head to the islands and even do a spot of fishing.  As long as the weather is on my side anyway. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I did make the slight mistake of eating the best condition food before bed  , which I would pay for later on.🙂.   

DOH! I really hate it when I do that!  Sometimes I forget I haven't yet gotten to level 5 cooking and happily munch.  I've also taken off the survivor monologue for the first time on my new run and I almost missed the food poisoning just before bed.  I'm now making sure I check my condition after eating just in case.  I sure don't miss the constant whinging about carrying too much! (Strange... I can't think of the 'character' as Astrid, its me, so always refer to 'her' in the first person.  Shows how immersed I get!)

I was followed most of the way by a wolf . I think he was trying to sell me something.🙂

OK I'm having to get used to you making me snort laugh!

I think he was annoyed you took all the dog food.  He especially likes the low condition variety.

I've just left her inside the exit ready to head back to pv then on to coastal.  I'm expecting to get some maulings there so maybe a bottle of antiseptic might come in handy despite the weight.   Never thought I'd be worried about being overburdened though.😁

I'm nervous about CH for you.  I've just left it for the final time today and my wolves aren't Stalker wolves.  Even so I've been mauled three times, twice was in quick succession and I almost died.  I had to double check that my settings weren't set to close spawn because he was on me before I even heard the growl (well not quite but pretty much).

Until I have a good stock of lichen bandages I always carry an antiseptic. I know its heavy but of all the crap I usually carry, to me it is pretty much an essential.  Those wolves do like chomping on us.  And the bears!  I only narrowly missed that bloody bear by the rope in CH again.  Watch out for that Yogi chick.  I think I might have annoyed him by depriving him of dinner.  I don't want your death on my conscience!

Overburdened?  Us? NEVER 😁

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

DOH! I really hate it when I do that!  Sometimes I forget I haven't yet gotten to level 5 cooking and happily munch.  I've also taken off the survivor monologue for the first time on my new run and I almost missed the food poisoning just before bed.  I'm now making sure I check my condition after eating just in case.  I sure don't miss the constant whinging about carrying too much! (Strange... I can't think of the 'character' as Astrid, its me, so always refer to 'her' in the first person.  Shows how immersed I get!)

I think he was annoyed you took all the dog food.  He especially likes the low condition variety.

I'm nervous about CH for you.  I've just left it for the final time today and my wolves aren't Stalker wolves.  Even so I've been mauled three times, twice was in quick succession and I almost died.  I had to double check that my settings weren't set to close spawn because he was on me before I even heard the growl (well not quite but pretty much).

Until I have a good stock of lichen bandages I always carry an antiseptic. I know its heavy but of all the crap I usually carry, to me it is pretty much an essential.  Those wolves do like chomping on us.  And the bears!  I only narrowly missed that bloody bear by the rope in CH again.  Watch out for that Yogi chick.  I think I might have annoyed him by depriving him of dinner.  I don't want your death on my conscience!

Overburdened?  Us? NEVER 😁

It was my own fault... I've seen enough ytube videos to know you should eat the worst stuff before bed .  It makes a change that I've actually used antibiotics and old man's beard.  I've never needed to before except story mode.  I drop the antiseptic as soon as I get the omb usually but I'm running low on them.good job there's bottles in quonset.  

I'm glad I took bears off if you've made him angry.  I'm glad you're still in one piece though.  

LoL.  We need those wheelbarrows to push our stuff around😁

Edited by Leeanda

11 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

I was followed most of the way by a wolf . I think he was trying to sell me something.🙂

11 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

@Sgt Socks

I invented that. Rusty is my favorite canine insurance salesman :D.

Edited by conanjaguar
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jotunheim said:

I didn't know about this!!!!! How did I not know about this after 6years?!  Thank you so much for mentioning it.  I am changing that tomorrow for sure!

I hear you about the settings.  I play a mishmash Custom.  Loadddds of loot.  Crazy cold. Fewer and less aggressive wolves with far spawning.  But lots of Bears and Moose because I need warm coats!  Plus if I don't have access to a rifle then I starve.  I suck majorly with the bow and can't stone bunnies.

Anyway thanks again for this.  It will make a huge difference.

• Upvote 2

My apologies for this short version of events this morning. I'm not feeling too great.. 

Actually it was mostly uneventful and I spent half the time going in a circle..a big one😁

I snuck out of quonset expecting an ambush but there was nothing anywhere.  I didn't want to hang around the garage area anyway. So I headed off to the islands . Apart from a few time of food I found nothing of any use  really.   I followed the shore UpTo the bridge ,checked the cabin on the way and headed to rabbit grove.  There was still no sign of anything . As I was not having much luck in coastal I decided to head back to pv via the ravine.hoping to kill a deer and have a small cooking session,which I haven't done yet on this run. But there were no deer or rabbits at all except the carcass at the cave which I'd taken the meat from before.  

Seems I have one of my weird bugs again.  I headed off to camp office to see if I had left some food there but I hadn't. I'm getting very low on food already and the lack of deer is not helping.   So I headed back to pv knowing I had a small amount of food there.   As soon as I got there a blizzard blew up so I read for a while then slept.  It seems the real pv weather is now kicking in ,as two minutes after getting up another one turned up.  I took what food and water I needed down to the basement and had a two day crafting session.   I now have the wolf coat but I haven't got any guts left for the hat and gloves..   

But first I need to find some food,. So I've made my way back to mystery lake with the intention of going to mountain town.  Hopefully there'll be a deer at trappers but I doubt it.there hadn't been any there either on any of my visits.  I might have to risk parasites if I can't find anything else. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Leeanda said:

My apologies for this short version of events this morning. I'm not feeling too great.. 

Actually it was mostly uneventful and I spent half the time going in a circle..a big one😁

I snuck out of quonset expecting an ambush but there was nothing anywhere.  I didn't want to hang around the garage area anyway. So I headed off to the islands . Apart from a few time of food I found nothing of any use  really.   I followed the shore UpTo the bridge ,checked the cabin on the way and headed to rabbit grove.  There was still no sign of anything . As I was not having much luck in coastal I decided to head back to pv via the ravine.hoping to kill a deer and have a small cooking session,which I haven't done yet on this run. But there were no deer or rabbits at all except the carcass at the cave which I'd taken the meat from before.  

Seems I have one of my weird bugs again.  I headed off to camp office to see if I had left some food there but I hadn't. I'm getting very low on food already and the lack of deer is not helping.   So I headed back to pv knowing I had a small amount of food there.   As soon as I got there a blizzard blew up so I read for a while then slept.  It seems the real pv weather is now kicking in ,as two minutes after getting up another one turned up.  I took what food and water I needed down to the basement and had a two day crafting session.   I now have the wolf coat but I haven't got any guts left for the hat and gloves..   

But first I need to find some food,. So I've made my way back to mystery lake with the intention of going to mountain town.  Hopefully there'll be a deer at trappers but I doubt it.there hadn't been any there either on any of my visits.  I might have to risk parasites if I can't find anything else. 

Aww, I do hope you feel better soon chick 💛🧡

I breathed such a sigh of relief at reading you had no trouble at Quonset.  I was really worried about it there for you.  You must have timed it just right, thank goodness.  I rarely get out of there without getting mauled at least once.

I know you're on Stalker but the level of deer, or rather the severe lack of them, is a bit weird. Hopefully you should have more luck in MT, there is usually a good stash of food to be found.  I just hope you can find a deer or two as well. And that those bloody wolves there don't make up for the lack of them at Quonset.  With all the closed in spaces in MT the close spawning can be a real issue.

You really do run like lightning don't you! I can't believe you've covered all that distance and done so much in such a short time. It's usually only when I've dragged everything to ML to settle in that I start running about, before that I am often carrying too much to run anywhere!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sgt Socks said:

Aww, I do hope you feel better soon chick 💛🧡

I breathed such a sigh of relief at reading you had no trouble at Quonset.  I was really worried about it there for you.  You must have timed it just right, thank goodness.  I rarely get out of there without getting mauled at least once.

I know you're on Stalker but the level of deer, or rather the severe lack of them, is a bit weird. Hopefully you should have more luck in MT, there is usually a good stash of food to be found.  I just hope you can find a deer or two as well. And that those bloody wolves there don't make up for the lack of them at Quonset.  With all the closed in spaces in MT the close spawning can be a real issue.

You really do run like lightning don't you! I can't believe you've covered all that distance and done so much in such a short time. It's usually only when I've dragged everything to ML to settle in that I start running about, before that I am often carrying too much to run anywhere!

Thank you..  it's not often I'm not well enough to ramble on😁

Unfortunately I wasn't even well enough to play this afternoon. I managed ten minutes before I had to give up. 

Long enough to get stalked from camp office to trappers and then stalked from near the garage to grey mother's house. They really want me to buy insurance.😁  

I didn't actually see that wolf in Milton but that growl was very loud and definitely following me,I think it was behind the houses so I see what you mean.. a lot of loot to maybe compensate for the risk ? 

Lol. I said I was impatient. As long as I'm not going to get a nickname like streaker.😁

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Long enough to get stalked from camp office to trappers and then stalked from near the garage to grey mother's house. 

I didn't actually see that wolf in Milton but that growl was very loud and definitely following me,I think it was behind the houses so I see what you mean.. a lot of loot to maybe compensate for the risk ? 

This doesn't surprise me. Those Stalker wolves really are an absolute nightmare.

Yup. The close spawn and far smell can really cause problems in densely packed areas with poor line of sight. I did always think CH & MT made up for it loot wise, but they were places I did one run round then didn't go back. Too effing stressful!

14 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Lol. I said I was impatient. As long as I'm not going to get a nickname like streaker.

Oh you've done it now! 😄😄

Streaker could well stick 😁

I am impatient, without a doubt. But you definitely take the "Most Impatient" trophy. I'm astounded at the distance you cover!

I won't be quite as slow later on, but lugging all my goodies from one place to another at the start take a lonnnnng time. But it's the way I like to play so I don't mind. 

• Upvote 1

I started at grey mother's this morning in a fickle mood again..  it doesn't help that I'm not a fan of mountain town either..  so I lit a torch and headed into the bank to loot the place,sadly there was nothing really worth taking so I headed down to the farm expecting loads of wolves and maybe deer.. 

I got to the barn before I heard the snarls but didn't see anything.. the sound stopped by the time I'd looked around though.. I found the key in the tractor and got into the house seeing nothing.  No wolves,deer or rabbits.   Again there was nothing really worth taking so I decided to just leave and headed off down to the basin.  I saw one rabbit briefly before it vanished and only one deer . That too vanished and I gave up looking for it.  

No rubbings either but I did notice two wolves off in the distance.. I check the hill ,cave and hut and only found a few cans of lighter fuel.. I skirted past the wolves and headed down to forlorn . My choices are getting limited for new loot .. blackrock,bleak or broken railroad and all three have high amounts of wolves. So I stood there in marsh ridge wondering which one to go to... I decided on pv farm😁.   I'm going to have to start crafting soon and most of the gear is there.  Plus it's the only place I can guarantee bunnies at the moment.   I stuck to the high edge of forlorn but still got the attention of one of those pesky salesman..  he followed me all the way to the exit.  The lack of rubbings or sightings of the moose makes me think I turned them off,which means I'm going to spend a lot of time overweight.   Nothing unusual there though😁 

I met salesman no.2 before I got past the train and he followed until I got to the office.  I thought I'd take a random pot shot with the rifle,I've hardly used it so far. But I think I missed and he ran off.. 

I left some gear there and headed off back to the dam using the steep slopes to avoid the wolves. However they turned up as soon as I had to get to ground level.. I snuck UpTo a low ledge and got one of them and carried on while the other two ran off.  But I didn't get far as one nearly got me . I just got into the yellow carriage in time. I didn't want to get stuck in there so I took a random shoot and he ran off.. I made my escape and left mystery and the dam behind me.  I heard close howls as soon as I got into pv so turned left and took the slightly longer but safer route back to the barn.. there are still no wolves in the fields or deer on the hill but at least there was one bunny by the barn.  I was starving and needed the guts so I shot him and went in to cook him up.  A blizzard blew up so I cooked the rabbit ,and boiled some water.realising I'd left my pot somewhere along the way.

I slept through the blizzard and woke while it was still dark.. I headed back to the farm,picked up the pot that was there and sorted my gear out.  I was again starving so I followed the river under the bridge hoping there'd be a deer there but nothing again.  I knew there should be rabbits near the slope next to the climb so I wandered that way.. there were three running around but lost one in the murky green fog .. I got the other two and headed into the bear cave to harvest and cook them up.   I have a few cat tails and one piece of bunny left so I need to find something bigger. I'll have to go hunting when it gets light,maybe even risk parasites. But I'd rather not.🙂

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

This doesn't surprise me. Those Stalker wolves really are an absolute nightmare.

Yup. The close spawn and far smell can really cause problems in densely packed areas with poor line of sight. I did always think CH & MT made up for it loot wise, but they were places I did one run round then didn't go back. Too effing stressful!

Oh you've done it now! 😄😄

Streaker could well stick 😁

I am impatient, without a doubt. But you definitely take the "Most Impatient" trophy. I'm astounded at the distance you cover!

I won't be quite as slow later on, but lugging all my goodies from one place to another at the start take a lonnnnng time. But it's the way I like to play so I don't mind. 

I'm surprised I found so little in Milton. That place is the soda pop capital but I found very little.  Disheartening really.   I wish there was a way there without climbing,I'd rather have a long trek than limit what I can carry all the time.  I don't blame you for not going back,I know I didn't search much but I expected better for Milton. 

Lol. What have I done🙂.  There are worse nicknames than streaker though.😁 

• Upvote 1

I spent some time wandering around pv this afternoon.. mainly on the road . 

But my first objective was to find food so I followed the road toward the cache near town.. it wasn't long before I heard a growl.. even though I scanned both sides of the road thoroughly it just appeared behind me from a wide open space that should've been empty. I think it must've dropped in. 

He followed me until I decided I'd had enough growling,so I climbed up the fallen tree near the crashed truck and waited for it. I'm glad I was far enough up it but it was close.  I took my shot but missed. . I thought my close range archery was bad 😁. But he ran off ,so I headed off to the cache.  I must have left some summit loot there and forgotten.  An MRE and some tins were in a locker,amongst some other useful things for crafting.  

I still need guts to make the hat and gloves though so I thought I'd head to the nearby cave.  I knew there should be some bunnies there and there was. But I decided to leave them and get the guts from a deer carcass I'd forgotten spawned there.  I left the guts to cure in the cave and headed to the hall.,spotting a wolf further down finishing off my Future rabbit dinner.. oh well.. easy come,easy go.. 

I picked up a few supplies and headed off back down the road to the farm..just as I got to the small barn I heard the bark .   I let it follow me to the porch  where I waited for it to get close enough to shoot through the window.  But apparently it was bulletproof . We played cat and mouse for a while but I finally got a shot in its rear.. instead of running away though it wandered in a circle , occasionally howling,. I thought it was doing that before but wasn't totally sure.  I left it to die and went to bed exhausted.

I woke to brilliant blue skies next morning so I went outside to check for the body.  It hadn't got far,it was just past the tables out the back so I harvested it in bits keeping an eye out for other wolves.  

I was taking the guts into the porch when I heard the growling..  he came from an empty field... I didn't have time to do anything and I promptly got a thorough mauling.. . I ducked into the porch tended my wounds and checked my clothes..  hardly any damage at all.  I lost about half my life though,so I headed inside ,drank a herbal tea ,ate my deer and headed to bed for the night.. 

At least you seem to heal quicker on stalker even though that seems odd to me.

I'm now wondering what or where to go next.. 

I don't want to have to deal with t-wolves yet in bleak and desolation and broken railroad are at opposite ends of the map.. 

There is of course blackrock too ,I'm not familiar with any spawn sites of timbers there except at the radio tower.. I've seen enough videos to know that is a deathtrap too.  

If anyone wants to suggest somewhere(except hrv,)  then I'm happy to listen.🙂

Edited by Leeanda
Stupid autocorrect 🙂
  • Upvote 3

I woke to blue skies this morning. And as I stepped out onto the porch,the sound of wolves howling and a snarl.. now I get wolves at the farm🙂 

I lit a torch and headed out carefully.. a wolf turned up just as I got far enough away from the door but I kept walking . I was tempted to shoot but thought about using the bunny as a distraction.. it worked so while he was busy I made my way up the river towards ml exit.  I was met by another wolf very quickly and I climbed up a rock hoping to get rid of it.. there were crows overhead anyway so I looked round until I saw the body. By this time the wolf got bored and wandered off.. as soon as I looted the body though it turned up again.. it followed me all the way to the bridge near pensive before going after a deer.  The first one I've seen there so far.. 

I got through the cave and into mystery lake before meeting another wolf.. they sure are pushy salesmen 🙂 it followed me until I got to camp office,despite me trying to lose it on steep inclines.. 

All that got me was sprains.😁.  I'm now running low on food ,I was starving when I got to the office so I finished the small piece of deer I had left . It didn't even move the metre. I searched the drawers again and found a tin of dog food. I had to risk eating it at 20% condition but got lucky with the food poisoning..  

I read for a couple of hours and slept til morning.. all I had left were cat tails so I ate a few ,drank and headed off to forlorn in search of more.  I found enough to keep me going until I got to broken  railroad..  last time I followed the tracks I saw nothing the entire way..this time I wasn't so lucky. I saw the first wolf advancing so skirted round it but nearly walked into another one.  Now I had two very angry wolves right next to me and a third howling not far behind me.. I backed away slowly from the first two hoping the third wouldn't attack and got lucky.. it ran off and I was able to get enough distance away from them .. they gave up before I got to the tunnel but yet again one more turned up and followed me to the tunnel..  

I'm not sure why they're all turning up now rather than weeks earlier though. The weather is also getting worse. I've had to rely on flares and the revolver more and more and I'm running out of flares already.. it's still in the plus figures ,feels like anyway..

I got through most of the walk to the maintenance shed without incident but the wind was blowing hard and there was a blizzard in the making.. as soon as I got to the truck I was met by wolf no.1, by the time I got to the shed there was four.  I'm glad I had the flare 🙂.  As I stepped inside the door I turned to see a wolf with it's head through the wall so I dropped the flare and shot it.  It ran away and another turned up near the door. I took a random shot at that one too and decided to just leave them and search for food.. as I got inside the first blizzard kicked in so I finished looting the place ,boiled some water and slept for the night.. the blizzard stopped just as I got outside  and a wolf instantly turned up at the door.  I heard one growl and two wolves dropping almost in succession.  This one also poked it's head through the wall so i shot that one too and it went down.. 

Well I think that's the shed area made secure at least for a few days anyway. 

I made my way up to the house avoiding the wolves on the lake and the  others were busy chasing all the rabbits.. I looted what I could find ,boiled some water and was about to head out when the next blizzard blew up.. I spent the day reading and sorting my pack out.. for some reason I've been walking slower and slower 😁.  I was expecting cabin fever to start kicking in but so far it's not happening.  

I left the house and followed the trail up past the rickety bridge and as I got halfway over ,another blizzard blew up.  This time I was getting cold very quickly so ran to the rope climb and goated down ,lit a flare and ran back to the shed.. I've just got inside,warmed up and dried my clothes off.  Apart from going down the ravine there's no reason to stay in broken railroad so I'm wondering where to go next. ? I know bleak better but there's less timberwolves in blackrock and the vest might actually prove useful.

• Upvote 2

On 9/19/2022 at 12:38 PM, Leeanda said:

I started at grey mother's this morning in a fickle mood again..  it doesn't help that I'm not a fan of mountain town either..  so I lit a torch and headed into the bank to loot the place,sadly there was nothing really worth taking so I headed down to the farm expecting loads of wolves and maybe deer.. 

No wolves,deer or rabbits.   Again there was nothing really worth taking so I decided to just leave and headed off down to the basin.  I saw one rabbit briefly before it vanished and only one deer . That too vanished and I gave up looking for it.  

I'm disappointed for you that you didn't find much in MT.  It's normally a good looting spot, even on Stalker's reduced levels

Did you go through all the houses and cars?  There can often be some nice goodies hiding away.  Going up to the church and turning right can yield a few bits too.  Then of course there's the plane crash - not summit quality loot but often a few useful bits and pieces.  Having said all that I do scour every single cupboard, drawer, nook and cranny when I'm somewhere I don't want to come back to, I hate the thought of having missed something important!  I hear you about the climbing though; if it wasn't adjoined to my Trapper's home I wouldn't take as much from the place. As it is I have to do several up and downs to get everything back.  I only ever go to the Basin via FM,  that very long climb is way too long when it doesn't have Summit or Gold Mine quality loot at the end of it.

I am finding it strange the lack of deer and rabbits though.  I know the wildlife settings are different but I know I still regularly encountered them.  I wonder if it is because you've come from Pilgrim where they are abundant that the absence is more obvious?  Regardless I am frustrated for you!

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I'm now running low on food ,I was starving when I got to the office so I finished the small piece of deer I had left . 

Can I just check you aren't doing what I have a habit of doing.... walking round with a piece of meat in your pocket, forgetting it was there?  My inattention to it has almost gotten me killed more times than I can count!

last time I followed the tracks I saw nothing the entire way..this time I wasn't so lucky. I saw the first wolf advancing so skirted round it but nearly walked into another one.  Now I had two very angry wolves right next to me and a third howling not far behind me.. I backed away slowly from the first two hoping the third wouldn't attack and got lucky.. it ran off and I was able to get enough distance away from them .. they gave up before I got to the tunnel but yet again one more turned up and followed me to the tunnel..  

I'm not sure why they're all turning up now rather than weeks earlier though. The weather is also getting worse. I've had to rely on flares and the revolver more and more and I'm running out of flares already.. it's still in the plus figures ,feels like anyway..

I got through most of the walk to the maintenance shed without incident but the wind was blowing hard and there was a blizzard in the making.. as soon as I got to the truck I was met by wolf no.1, by the time I got to the shed there was four.  I'm glad I had the flare 🙂.  As I stepped inside the door I turned to see a wolf with it's head through the wall so I dropped the flare and shot it.  It ran away and another turned up near the door. I took a random shot at that one too and decided to just leave them and search for food.. as I got inside the first blizzard kicked in so I finished looting the place ,boiled some water and slept for the night.. the blizzard stopped just as I got outside  and a wolf instantly turned up at the door.  I heard one growl and two wolves dropping almost in succession.  This one also poked it's head through the wall so i shot that one too and it went down.. 

Well I think that's the shed area made secure at least for a few days anyway. 

Urgh.  This sounds more like BR on Stalker!  It can be really nasty if you either cock it up or have bad luck.  I had a really good laugh with your account though, they shouldn't be messing with you! 😁👍 You're right, it's a good way to give yourself a bit of breathing space; killing them but not completely harvesting.  At least it takes a little bit longer for them to respawn.  Somewhere like BR that is an absolute godsend.

I I was expecting cabin fever to start kicking in but so far it's not happening.  

It's more likely when you spend a lot of time crafting indoors, or get stuck for a prolonged period of time.  However I think your playstyle lends itself well to fending Cabin Fever off. But just keep an eye on it when you begin to craft things like clothing that take a lot of time, unless you are using an outdoor workbench of course.

I never have any idea where you will be in Great Bear when I next read your diary! Streaker aka Grey Mother on Stims.  I'm willing to bet your distance covered will be immense!

Apart from going down the ravine there's no reason to stay in broken railroad so I'm wondering where to go next. ? I know bleak better but there's less timberwolves in blackrock and the vest might actually prove useful.

I'm not sure I can really help here my darling, as much as I want to!  We play completely differently. I'm a bit dull by methodically clearing every single location within a region then settling down in two places (PV & ML), occasionally going to BI or BI to use the "facilities". I'm also anally retentive in writing in my notes what I've left where. What works for me most likely wouldn't work for you.

I'm wondering whether you might be able to craft some items now?  I know you've been struggling obtaining the guts and pelts necessary to get going. My concern with you going to BI is the cold if you don't have at least the rabbit hat and gloves.  What is your current clothing situation?

I never go to Blackrock so can't comment on it, and when I was playing Stalker I never even set foot in BI because of the extremely hostile wildlife! Hopefully somebody else will be able to make some useful suggestions for you 🧡

I think you are playing Stalker *brilliantly* for your first run, especially coming from Pilgrim which is a whole different world! 

Edited by Sgt Socks

52 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

I'm disappointed for you that you didn't find much in MT.  It's normally a good looting spot, even on Stalker's reduced levels

Did you go through all the houses and cars?  There can often be some nice goodies hiding away.  Going up to the church and turning right can yield a few bits too.  Then of course there's the plane crash - not summit quality loot but often a few useful bits and pieces.  Having said all that I do scour every single cupboard, drawer, nook and cranny when I'm somewhere I don't want to come back to, I hate the thought of having missed something important!  I hear you about the climbing though; if it wasn't adjoined to my Trapper's home I wouldn't take as much from the place. As it is I have to do several up and downs to get everything back.  I only ever go to the Basin via FM,  that very long climb is way too long when it doesn't have Summit or Gold Mine quality loot at the end of it.

I am finding it strange the lack of deer and rabbits though.  I know the wildlife settings are different but I know I still regularly encountered them.  I wonder if it is because you've come from Pilgrim where they are abundant that the absence is more obvious?  Regardless I am frustrated for you!

Can I just check you aren't doing what I have a habit of doing.... walking round with a piece of meat in your pocket, forgetting it was there?  My inattention to it has almost gotten me killed more times than I can count!

Urgh.  This sounds more like BR on Stalker!  It can be really nasty if you either cock it up or have bad luck.  I had a really good laugh with your account though, they shouldn't be messing with you! 😁👍 You're right, it's a good way to give yourself a bit of breathing space; killing them but not completely harvesting.  At least it takes a little bit longer for them to respawn.  Somewhere like BR that is an absolute godsend.

It's more likely when you spend a lot of time crafting indoors, or get stuck for a prolonged period of time.  However I think your playstyle lends itself well to fending Cabin Fever off. But just keep an eye on it when you begin to craft things like clothing that take a lot of time, unless you are using an outdoor workbench of course.

I never have any idea where you will be in Great Bear when I next read your diary! Streaker aka Grey Mother on Stims.  I'm willing to bet your distance covered will be immense!

I'm not sure I can really help here my darling, as much as I want to!  We play completely differently. I'm a bit dull by methodically clearing every single location within a region then settling down in two places (PV & ML), occasionally going to BI or BI to use the "facilities". I'm also anally retentive in writing in my notes what I've left where. What works for me most likely wouldn't work for you.

I'm wondering whether you might be able to craft some items now?  I know you've been struggling obtaining the guts and pelts necessary to get going. My concern with you going to BI is the cold if you don't have at least the rabbit hat and gloves.  What is your current clothing situation?

I never go to Blackrock so can't comment on it, and when I was playing Stalker I never even set foot in BI because of the extremely hostile wildlife! Hopefully somebody else will be able to make some useful suggestions for you 🧡

I think you are playing Stalker *brilliantly* for your first run, especially coming from Pilgrim which is a whole different world! 

I should have said that I only went to a few places in  Milton..  I wasn't in the most patient of moods on that day and the more I go there the less I like it.  Plus the fact that the only way in and out is climbing tends to annoy my hoarding instincts.. 😁 

It's a habit I've picked up over the years, loot the biggest places first,then ones in story mode(if applicable) then maybe a few well known good loot hidey holes.. I am  extremely thorough though. Then I'll go back later in a run and loot most of the rest. 

LoL. My pilgrim runs are famous for being devoid of any thing ,most of the time anyway.. they scarper before I can see them but I'm very surprised to find it the same on stalker. At least until today! Pesky salesmen😁 

No worries.. honestly I've been living on canned stuff. I can't be bothered to make a fire and wait for them to defrost.. if only those microwaves worked.😁The few deer carcasses I've found have disappeared before I get the meat. So I've just got the guts from those few..    I don't even fish unless I'm trying to get the level up and I'm desperate..  

My clothing at the moment is..

Insulated boots. Two climbing socks,two snow pants,cowichan and thick wool sweaters, expo cost,wolfskin coat,tongue,long wool scarf,two ear wraps,two red thermals and thick ski gloves.

I'm on my way back to pv to craft the hat and gloves.. if I get there🙂 

And thank you. You're very kind. 

Edit... I'm going to head to desolation next I think...keep forgetting about it for some reason.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2

Considering the weather lately I've decided to head back to pv farm and craft the bunny hat and gloves..  then on to desolation point.  

But first I have to get home in one piece 🙂 

As I was just walking out the shed door I heard a growl so took a few steps back.. I thought I'd killed this lot yesterday but obviously not.  Again he stuck his head through the wall and got stuck ,so I took a shot and he went down.   I left broken behind and made my way through to forlorn expecting the worst... And saw absolutely nothing all the way ,even the way from there to the dam was silent..  the wolf under the dam bridge was there but a quick shot soon got rid of him.  

I passed through the dam and skirted up onto the rocks .i took the meat from the deer up there and followed the high path..  at this point I got distracted  in rl. And suddenly found myself face to face with a wolf.. it was running in circles yapping so I fired a hip shot but it carried on ,even running through me.  I got slightly disoriented trying to get past it and the next bit is a bit of a blur.. it yelped,ran into my legs,literally and then pounced.  I only had time to click on a weapon and it all went weird. Astrid was saying the usual melee phrase while looking up at the sky spinning and the wolf was off yapping somewhere..  I took hardly any damage at all but there was blood everywhere.  I did need omb and a bandage though,so I fixed myself up and headed to the cave to cook up the deer meat and a cup of herbal tea.  . I've left Astrid in the cave at the exit to pv fully rested and ready to tackle the wolves that are probably blocking the farm off.😁

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Leeanda said:

And suddenly found myself face to face with a wolf.. it was running in circles yapping so I fired a hip shot but it carried on ,even running through me.  I got slightly disoriented trying to get past it and the next bit is a bit of a blur.. it yelped,ran into my legs,literally and then pounced.  I only had time to click on a weapon and it all went weird. Astrid was saying the usual melee phrase while looking up at the sky spinning and the wolf was off yapping somewhere..  I took hardly any damage at all but there was blood everywhere.  I did need omb and a bandage though,so I fixed myself up and headed to the cave to cook up the deer meat and a cup of herbal tea.  . 

Omg what a weird experience! Your description actually made me feel motion sick, and I can imagine the whole strange feeling and disorientation. I've had deer run through me before but never a wolf (and thank god never a bear or moose either). 

Gives a whole new meaning to the word ghosting! 😳🙈

Well. I guess it's nothing if not entertaining! 

I hope those wolves that are supposed to be dead stay dead this time. How incredibly rude they are, sticking their head into your space! Damned salesmen are a blight on our existence.

16 hours ago, Leeanda said:

It's a habit I've picked up over the years, loot the biggest places first,then ones in story mode(if applicable) then maybe a few well known good loot hidey holes.. I am  extremely thorough though. Then I'll go back later in a run and loot most of the rest. 

My clothing at the moment is..

Insulated boots. Two climbing socks,two snow pants,cowichan and thick wool sweaters, expo cost,wolfskin coat,tongue,long wool scarf,two ear wraps,two red thermals and thick ski gloves.

I'm on my way back to pv to craft the hat and gloves.. if I get there🙂 

Ah, this makes sense. Yes that looting method definitely fits your speedy style. I'm glad you go through everything, don't want you missing out on any goodies, particularly with lower Stalker loot levels.

Your clothing is great, it will definitely keep you warm and a bit more protected. The fluffy bunny additions will simply be icing on the cake 😊

🤞🤞 Fingers crossed for the perilous journey home! 🤞🤞

When I switched my game off yesterday it was quiet in the cave,this morning a blizzard was happily roaring away so I was stuck in there for most of the day..  by the time I got to the barn I was hungry and tired.. it's hard work reading in a cave all day,, apparently 🙂

I shot the only bunny outside and took it in to harvest and cook. After eating one small piece I bedded down for the night.  I woke to thick murky snow so retreated back inside for an hour.  Luckily it was blue skies when I came out so made my way to the house expecting an ambush but there was nothing anywhere.. I always get deer on the hill next to the river on pilgrim but I've yet to see any on this run.. 

I spent the next day and a half crafting up the gloves and hat and boiling water.  My food is running low again so I headed off towards the coastal exit , stopping at the hall to pick up what little food there was. The wolf past the bridge turned up and followed me for half the way.. just as my torch was about to get blown out ,it gave up .  I got to the mine just as a blizzard started.  

I headed down to the right when I got to coastal and headed across the ice to drop a few bits at misanthrope. I only saw one wolf but fired a shot and it ran off.  After looting the cottages I decided to carry on even though it was late afternoon.. I pushed through crumbling highway seeing nothing but I did hear howling in the distance.  Once through the mine I goated down the rocks and it didn't take long for a wolf to show up.. I popped a flare and carried on to the lighthouse. I wanted to keep going to the riken but my flare was about to run out and I only had one left..  the weather turned bad so I spent some time in there waiting for the wind to die down.  When it did I headed to the riken and looted the place. I found quite a few revolver bullets ,lucky as I didn't bring many with me .I carried on to the plant and found rifle ammo in one of the huge pipes,as I hoped I would.. I spent quite a while searching the place and finding the hammer and hacksaw was very handy.  

I might spend a few extra days there and make some arrowheads,if there's enough food to last..  I've just settled down for the night and wondering if our friend will be in the cave when I go there later..  I'm not looking forward to being in a small space with him . I don't get very many one shot kills with the revolver and an angry injured wolf doesn't sound much fun..  not from my point of view anyway.🙂

• Upvote 3