It's headache-inducing to walk on railway tracks in TLD

Ghurcb

Each railroad tie has its own collision box. Because of that, when you walk on the railway tracks, the camera is constantly shaking up and down.

And there's no way I'm the only one who notices it.

Here's a comparison

The Raven Falls bridge is perfectly flat, while this regular piece of railroad is not.

I think, it would be better if the railway tracks were made less... Unpleasant to walk on. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

That's why I don't walk on them but walk next to them. Perhaps the Devs thought it would be a problem making the ravine one the same.who'd want to walk over it if was all bumpy like the rest?

The problem is, those tracks almost invite you to walk on them. The railroad basically gives a sence of direction to three regions (four if you count the Ravine). And you're supposed to walk NEXT TO IT?! 

And I don't think it's hard to solve this problem. Instead of having a separate collision box for each tie, just make one big collision box for every straight segment of the railroad. 

Well I think they're there more as a guideline ,after all they are pretty much the only thing visible in a blizzard. I'd rather look down when I'm walking than up at the lines.  

Too be honest I've walked on a few in my youth and they do kinda have that same problem.  Yes it's a bit of a headache and it would be nice if they were smoother. At the moment though I'm hoping the Devs will sort what's left of these weird bugs out. Maybe when they're done  they'll have time to sort this out too.

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2022 at 8:13 PM, Pencil said:

IRL you could sprain your ankle walking on those rails while carrying 30 kg of gear if you slip. 

I think this is true in game as well. Noticed the red triangle warning when walking on rails in game.

There's a reason why the same thing doesn't happen on Raven Falls bridge.

Yes, and I imagine it's because the bridge on raven falls is not actually made of individual ties and instead is larger blocks with transparencies. If they were individual you would probably fall through or gets stuck very easily.

On 5/7/2022 at 12:15 PM, Leeanda said:

Well I think they're there more as a guideline ,after all they are pretty much the only thing visible in a blizzard. I'd rather look down when I'm walking than up at the lines.  

Too be honest I've walked on a few in my youth and they do kinda have that same problem.  Yes it's a bit of a headache and it would be nice if they were smoother. At the moment though I'm hoping the Devs will sort what's left of these weird bugs out. Maybe when they're done  they'll have time to sort this out too.

Yes, walking on railroad tracks IRL pretty much has the same problem.  Riding a horse close beside one is downright dangerous (based on first-hand experience).

Minecraft has an option to turn off "head bobbing" entirely - so perhaps this is a way HL can address this issue for those who get headaches from it rather than having to individually change every hitbox for every railroad tie in the game.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...