Areas only accessible during auroras.

SysGhost

On the fandom wiki page (not official afaik), I read this about auroras:

If entering an area only accessible through an electrically controlled door (which is required at least once during Wintermute), the player may be trapped inside if the aurora ends before the player exits. It may be many days until the next one allows the door to be opened.

I wonder...
Are there any such areas in the survival mode only accessible during auroras? and if so, do one risk getting trapped inside or is there an alternative exit?
Where are these areas?

3 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Yes, there are, on Coastal Highway, Bleak Inlet, and (I think) Blackrock, but I wouldn't want to spoil them for you.

That's okay. Just knowing they do exist and that one do get trapped is good enough for me. Awaken the curiosity even more. This is now the most likely way I'll end up a survival run now. Thanks.

😉

I haven't had a single aurora happen for over 25 days now so I know how rare they can be. Another time it was just a few days between them.

Edited by SysGhost

Just now, SysGhost said:

That's okay. Just knowing they do exist and that one do get trapped is good enough for me. Awaken the curiosity even more. This is now the most likely way I'll end up a survival run now. Thanks.

😉

I only know of one where you can get trapped.  No doubt someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong.

On 12/21/2021 at 3:35 PM, hozz1235 said:

CH Mine is the only place I'm aware of where you can get "trapped" (due to the elevator needing to work).  Once the others are open, they stay open.

There's a working elevator in Coastal Highway during auroras in Survival Mode? Really? I've put hundreds of hours into Survival and never knew that 0.0 I'll havta brave that one of these days. Thanks for letting me know! I usually avoid the Wiki, as I don't wanna be tempted to peek at any maps or spoilers lol.

Edited by The Gentleman Bastard
Clarify, Give thanks

1 hour ago, The Gentleman Bastard said:

There's a working elevator in Coastal Highway during auroras in Survival Mode? Really? I've put hundreds of hours into Survival and never knew that 0.0 I'll havta brave that one of these days.

You could've guessed it from Episode 3, which is when the elevator was introduced to Survival Mode as well ;)

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

There's quite a bit of content in Wintermute that is not in survival, so this is not always true.

Well I figured that at least he would've found it after hundreds of hours and only didn't know that it needs an aurora to work - that part could've been guessed from Wintermute. But he didn't play story so it's irrelevant anyways.

3 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

Well I figured that at least he would've found it after hundreds of hours and only didn't know that it needs an aurora to work - that part could've been guessed from Wintermute. But he didn't play story so it's irrelevant anyways.

Perhaps he did find the elevator, but it wasn't during an aurora so didn't think it worked at all (like the elevator in the Dam).

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
4 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Perhaps he did find the elevator, but it wasn't during an aurora so didn't think it worked at all (like the elevator in the Dam).

This. If you don't know this from Story Mode there is no reason to suspect it would work.

On 12/21/2021 at 1:37 PM, hozz1235 said:

Just take enough supplies to live for several days (if needed).

This isn’t enough.  After a few days of being trapped, even with adequate supplies, you’ll get cabin fever and be unable to rest or even pass the time with cards!  

I hear that harvesting your boots (and stopping before it’s completed) is the best way to pass time in this instance.  

I always visit the CH Abandoned Mine with every survivor eventually.   There’s a can of gunpowder and some other goodies there.  Usually an advanced rifle skill book as well,  bullets and a gun.  But I take precautions:

1)Get there early in the Aurora. 
2)Use coffee to move there and through the mine fast.  
3)know the layout, and how to get around without being electrocuted.  You can die down there easily from electrocution. 
4)if the Aurora fades, quit the game without saving and reload the last save point. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng
On 12/28/2021 at 7:50 PM, Bean said:

I hear that harvesting your boots (and stopping before it’s completed) is the best way to pass time in this instance.  

It is.

On 12/28/2021 at 7:50 PM, Bean said:

4)if the Aurora fades, quit the game without saving and reload the last save point. 

What's the fun in that?

The stalker run before this one I got into that mine and it is very much worth it if you plan ahead. Even on stalker loot there was more there than I really needed for a  long time.  The warning about electrocution is one you would do well to heed. I lost a good survival run there for that very reason. Stay out of the water and don't try anything foolish.

On 12/21/2021 at 4:36 PM, SysGhost said:

So the tactic with these are to make sure the night is long enough for one to get in, take a look around and get out before the night is at an end.

Auroras can end even before the night is over. Don't assume you always have until sunrise.

Bringing *plenty* of food is the safest option when exploring the CH mine.

On Stalker, I have had 20+ days between auroras, waiting for CH mine to "open" up. Didn't want to get stuck for 20+ days inside, so I brought at least 20 lbs of meat, plus other foods to be able to survive, just in case.

-t

• Upvote 1