Interloper vs Custom

Robbiieeee

Been playing TLD for a long time now. It's that time of year where I annually return to this game. 

I am looking to play Interloper but I dont know enough about it. I know that certain items don't spawn such as the rifle and certain clothing like the expedition parka but I was wondering what items exactly?

Also for more veteran players, is there a better balance between Interloper and Stalker (as stalker is now too easy) through custom settings and how effective is this as I've heard the settings can be bugged at times? (In case your wondering, I am not too fussed on the badges).

Cheers

There is no high end clothing of any kind. No baclavas. No gauntlets. The best shirt is the thin wool sweater. The best man made jacket is the mackinaw. It's similar with the rest. It's the only mode where you really have to craft animal clothing.

You also have to forge knives and hatchets.

Interloper settings are mostly fine. Don't be fooled by people saying that there is hardly any loot. That's not true. It's just not all in one place. The only excessive thing is the item decay rate. You can turn that back down to 100%

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1

Apart from what's already been mentioned interloper won't provide no overpowered food like the MRE, energy bar and Go! energy drink.

You get to keep a lot of tools but no flashlights, firearms, axes or knives. Though you can find a few rounds of ammo in some playthroughs.

You won't find no climbing socks, wool long johns and no military jacket. But we get the fancy military pants and thank god cause we're really short on pants in loper. Jeans, military pants and deer pants and that's about it. Definitely no ski boots, mukluks, insluated boots and no half-decent wool stuff like the long wool scarf and wool mittens. Manmade parkas and coats do exist but only in your cold dreams before the rustling noise of your windbreaker jacket wake you up from your worried sleep in the frontseat of a 30 year old, recently deceased car .

Your best factory-made clothing would be the Mackinaws (around 3-4 of them in total), military pants, fleece mittens, wool toque, thin wool sweaters and the golden earwraps. And the wool socks, which will lure you to waste a huge load of cloth repairing them until one day you throw them away and arise anew as the barefeet winterking.

That should be most of the items covered. Stay warm, stay safe.

On 11/20/2021 at 5:37 AM, Robbiieeee said:

is there a better balance between Interloper and Stalker (as stalker is now too easy) through custom settings and how effective is this as I've heard the settings can be bugged at times?

I love custom.  Start with the template of loper and adjust the settings from there to suit your gameplay style for maximum enjoyment.

I like playing with the following differences from the Interloper presets:

Baseline resource availability: medium

Calorie consumption: high

Freezing rate: high

Rifle: available

revolver: available

These settings will give you the opportunity to explore easily and get some good gear, but still keep some danger in the forms of aggressive wildlife and very unpredictable harsh weather.  Should be fine if you play carefully.

Avoid them. Or distract them with wild life. The main thing is really to not be surprised at close range. And not get into fights at low condition / fatigue. That's what gets you killed. If one notices you from a distance and starts stalking you it's not such a big deal. They will follow you to the end of the earth, but they won't just attack. You can also carry the distress pistol as insurance, but ammunition is very limited.

Later on after you leveled your archery skill to 3 or 4 or you can reliably shoot wolves with the bow. Fully outfitted with crafted clothing you can also get into a struggle and survive; especially when using the heavy hammer. But it will mess up your clothing a bit.

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

The difference between Interloper and custom is when you make even one setting easier it is stalker not interloper. 

That's nonsense. Stalker has an astronomical amount of loot. It has guns. It has tons of mostly harmless wolves. Interloper has far less wolves but they're individually more dangerous. If you leave those and change something else it still won't feel like Stalker.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Serenity said:

That's nonsense. Stalker has an astronomical amount of loot. It has guns. It has tons of mostly harmless wolves. Interloper has far less wolves but they're individually more dangerous. If you leave those and change something else it still won't feel like Stalker.

While I otherwise agree I'd still argue that Interloper also has massive amount of loot, I never understand people who say there's nothing in it

6 hours ago, Mistral said:

While I otherwise agree I'd still argue that Interloper also has massive amount of loot, I never understand people who say there's nothing in it

Yeah, but you still have to "work" a bit for it most of the time. You sometimes get lucky with some things like tool boxes (got tons of them right away last time), but generally the loot is spread around. It comes from the large number of regions and locations. Not from one or two places.

18 hours ago, Robbiieeee said:

Just curious, how do you guys handle wolves on loper as usually my go to is the revolver 

Learn how to pull tailing wolves toward deer/rabbits. You circle around the latter so you're not close enough to scare them away. The deer/rabbit will be placed inbetween you and the wolf. Which means the wolf gets his meal, or you do if you choose to scare the wolf away.

It's also useful to use a decoy.

Letting a wolf tail you a great distance can be a good idea if you know what you're doing. But it's also risky if you're planning to keep on walking for a while. If you don't know the wolf patrols you could end up being charged by another wolf and after the struggle the first one may try to eat you. Two wolf attacks in a row is always bad news in interloper, no matter condition or clothing.

Even if you master all of the above you'll end up getting charged by plenty of wolves over time, even if it's just once every two weeks or so. This is why mastering archery is so vital in interloper. Here's the condensed lesson: When you manage to headshot 7/10 charging wolves you're capable enough to survive for a long time on interloper.

15 hours ago, Serenity said:

Nope. Interloper when starting with a bedroll and having Guns is stalker regardless of your wolf and loot setting. Interloper with anything easier is hardly interloper. What make interloper hard is the start. Make that easier, it’s not interloper it’s just a harder stalker. 

11 minutes ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Interloper with anything easier is hardly interloper.

You just make absurd leaps of "logic". Yes, starting with a bedroll makes things significantly easier. How you go from that to "anything" however is beyond absurd. And then you jump back to the "start" of the game when not all settings are about the start. It's just totally incoherent. You just treat all settings as the same when they can be quite different in their impact.

Changing item decay for example doesn't change the start and doesn't change the feeling. It doesn't even make the game any easier. It just means you don't see your clothing decay as you watch.

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1

Incorrect. Changing the item decay has a serious Impact because you are more likely to find good clothing because it isn’t ruined by the time you find it.  Come on bruh. 

11 hours ago, Serenity said:

You just make absurd leaps of "logic". Yes, starting with a bedroll makes things significantly easier. How you go from that to "anything" however is beyond absurd. And then you jump back to the "start" of the game when not all settings are about the start. It's just totally incoherent. You just treat all settings as the same when they can be quite different in their impact.

Changing item decay for example doesn't change the start and doesn't change the feeling. It doesn't even make the game any easier. It just means you don't see your clothing decay as you watch.