A Problem with the Long Dark

Michael1986

No offense but hinterland, can we get a better incentive to explore other than.....More Loot

Why should go through the hassle of getting to Milton only to find a bunch of ruined items and my 200th Hatchet, instead of hanging out at coastal highway fishing for 500 days, What if You added more Unique Loot, for example İ like how Ash Canyon has a reason for you to go there, to get crampons and the technical pack, both valuable items or the airplane food in pleasant valley. We need more stuff like this.

Edited by Michael1986
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Cr41g said:

this is actually a pretty good idea... not necessarily more loot, but definitely unique loot to boost your survivability... and no... not more guns... this is after all...Canada

Yes thats what I am saying, like why should I got desolution point ? it is hard to survive and the ''loot'' becomes worthless if you have some tools like a bow and some fishing gear. Maybe a Blowtorch found inside the riken, Blackrock can have something like a kevlar armour, Milton can have Uniqe food items like slurpee ,Candy or frozen hotdogs. Give me something Uniqe for each region

I would think that you need something that is fixed in the location to make you return there. Rather like the milling machine in bleak. The question is what though! Maybe a sewing machine in Milton for example! 

Edited by Leeanda
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 12:24 PM, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Maybe play a higher skill level.  In interloper trust me you HAVE to go to other regions to survive. It is impossible otherwise. 
  In any of the easy levels he’ll- one house supplies you for a month. 

Actually Interlopper run here; my 234th day in Desolution Point. I have killed all the wild life, and the region got kind of boring so i moved out to coastal highway again with intention to go to broken railroad. I have one month of food stored in multiple regions, after having all advanced cloths crafted, and hitting grand master on food and bow, game does get easy, even in interloper. While a wolf attack can still be troublesome (it does not kill you if you have full stamina, maximum 50% condition loss), if you carefully plan your trip routes, it is not an issue. I think game will benefit, if there are unique items in each region, and some sort of short quest/story lines with a special loot at the end. Kind of like the side quests of wintermude. More regions to discover is the key reason to keep going. Late game interloper with advanced character you do not need to move around the map.  With stealth kills you basically become the apex predator of the game in interloper. I played the episode 4 and going back to guns felt downgrade, once you learn the bow and become expert, there is nothing like it. it becomes a hunting game at that point, since you kill bears everywhere, food is not an issue as well. 

On 10/15/2021 at 10:24 PM, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Maybe play a higher skill level.  In interloper trust me you HAVE to go to other regions to survive. It is impossible otherwise. 
  In any of the easy levels he’ll- one house supplies you for a month. 

You really don't though... as long as you have working access to a forge nearby and have the mag lens you can keep living almost forever without visiting 75% of the game even on Interloper...

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 1

I change regions after a while simply because it gets boring and I need new scenery. I could never stay for hundreds of days in one location.

Yeah, some more goals or unique set pieces would be nice. But the alternative just isn't to stay in house or even one region the whole time.

16 hours ago, Mistral said:

You really don't though... as long as you have working access to a forge nearby and have the mag lens you can keep living almost forever without visiting 75% of the game even on Interloper...

Nope you cannot stay in one region from the start in interloper. You don’t have to visit them all or even most but you can’t stay in one region from the start. Impossible. 
  Of course once you get your bow and tools you can stay virtually indefinitely in any region with a workbench and forge and maple/birch.  Hell I have over 500 days in pleasant valley and over 1000 in CH on another interloper character but you can’t do that starting and staying in those regions. Nope. 

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark

4 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Nope you cannot stay in one region from the start in interloper. You don’t have to visit them all or even most but you can’t stay in one region from the start. Impossible. 
  Of course once you get your bow and tools you can stay virtually indefinitely in any region with a workbench and forge and maple/birch.  Hell I have over 500 days in pleasant valley and over 1000 in CH on another interloper character but you can’t do that starting and staying in those regions. Nope. 

I wasn't necessarily saying One Region only, but two regions like ML and FM would be plenty of enough. Have survived that way for a long time until it starts getting boring

Anyhow, there are people on youtube who have attempted the "One region" challenge on Loper/Deadman/Custom and have lasted for extended period. The only thing you REALLY need is the mag lens

Edited by Mistral
  • Like 1

That’s pretty general. How long did they last and did they choose a region purposefully with a forge and a high chance for mag lens spawn?  And what’s a link to YouTube with someone who did this?

You have to have a mag lens and a forge and sufficient cat tails to last Initially.  My point is- you have to move to at least one if not two areas. 
  In the easy levels like stalker hell just one house will supply you enough to last a week lol 

10 hours ago, Mistral said:

I wasn't necessarily saying One Region only, but two regions like ML and FM would be plenty of enough. Have survived that way for a long time until it starts getting boring

Anyhow, there are people on youtube who have attempted the "One region" challenge on Loper/Deadman/Custom and have lasted for extended period. The only thing you REALLY need is the mag lens

Can you survive on cattails for that long though. Even on the hardest levels. 

On 10/15/2021 at 1:42 PM, Leeanda said:

I would think that you need something that is fixed in the location to make you return there. Rather like the milling machine in bleak. The question is what though! Maybe a sewing machine in Milton for example! 

interesting idea...  
although it would have to be practically an antique with the old foot pedal to drive it.  and when you get there the rubber band is broken... then you have to repair it using 20 pieces of cured gut! 
ahh, but then Hinterland would make it that in order to craft animal skin clothing you'd have to carry all your pelts across the island in order to use the sewing machine...

• Upvote 2

@Michael1986,   looks like you might be onto something considering @Admin just made a rare appearance and commented on your thread.

It makes perfect sense that each region coulda/woulda/shoulda have some unique item or items more or less that would make me want to go there in order to retrieve them.  Otherwise, I'd be inclined just to stay in Coastal Highway for the majority of my game play with the occasional visit to DP just to use the forge.  Between those two locations I can pretty much survive almost indefinitely.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

interesting idea...  
although it would have to be practically an antique with the old foot pedal to drive it.  and when you get there the rubber band is broken... then you have to repair it using 20 pieces of cured gut! 
ahh, but then Hinterland would make it that in order to craft animal skin clothing you'd have to carry all your pelts across the island in order to use the sewing machine...

The sewing machine was a spur of the moment thought,but I was thinking of the old fashioned sort!  There is that problem though  but even for small repairs might come in handy especially on loper when the sewing kits have run out. Maybe not MT either considering the rope climbs needed to get there! Otherwise it might as well be in HRV!😁

By moving necessary or highly desirable items across the ends of the map you would force visits to other locations indirectly. 
   One thing I have always requested and I don’t know if the developers ever implemented is that the crampons be repairable in the mill at BI. This would give reason for interlopers to visit BI because otherwise there is absolutely no reason to visit other than the excitement of it.  I would visit for that reason alone but also if I could repair sharpening stones or re-load flares or something. Reloading flares would be awesome in interloper. I hate wasting them when they expire.