Favorite places to hunker down

ElleJoy

So, to start, I'm a scrub and almost never play on anything but green mode, so this is definitely not going to be a hardcore survivalist conversation LOL. One of things I enjoy the most about the game is the different modes for different play styles, and one of the things I enjoy the most about green mode is the ability to really delve into 'camper' mode. I have spent days in one single location, scouting, mapping, hunting and gathering, then bundling everyone up and heading off to the next section of the map. My goal, eventually, is to start in HRV and make my way through each area, ending at Ash canyon. But I'm curious where folks favorite places are to make camp or drop supplies for a bit. 

I'd have to say my all time favorite location aesthetically is the lighthouse on Desolation Point - there's something about it that just feels different than all the other potentially places to stay, and I absolutely love how the storage is set up. Biggest issue is there isn't a lot of supply/hunting opportunity on DP, so I usually only head there after a few days of meandering along Coastal Highway. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Pilgrim

Quonset Garage. I love Coastal Highway. There are lots of houses, lots of meat when carrying rifle or bow. Working bench and fireplace inside. Going to mine for coal, going to Desolation Point for forge and also coal is fun. Going to lookout for beautiful sunrise vista. You can also find useful clothing like cowichan sweater.

Voyageur or higher level

I prefer camp office in Mystery Lake. Lots of player choose here for main base and they are right. It is easy for hunting wolves on lake or road to dam. It is close to Mountain Town for coal, cloth, some ammo and flares, ıt is close to Muskeg for forge. It’s like home.

I like pleasant valley homestead but ıt’s dangerous for sure. Bear and wolves spawn that area quickly but also this place present great vision for hunting. But ı mostly prefer community hall in PV.

Also ı like anglers den in Ash Canyon but ı don’t spend much time in AC, ı didn’t know the region very well and ı got mauled by moose two times so 🤨but ı intend to stay my next run(when ı went AC, ı run to gold mine, pick up technical backpack and go)

• Upvote 2

I think that play style works for any difficulty.  I'm an Interloper player and tend to do the same thing.  Once I'm over the hump of getting the basic things I need, I settle in and just hunker down in one place until I get bored with it, then go somewhere else.  Monolith Lake in HRV is one of my favorite places.  I love spending time in that area and was just there for maybe 20 days.  When I start getting bored, I think of the other regions and there's always one that I'm excited to go or return to.  I'll gather what I need to survive for a day or two and leave everything else behind.  Some people are good with keeping notes about items left around the world, but I'm terrible at it.  I enjoy coming back to a place I haven't been for a while and rediscovering what I left there.

I've mapped all the locations in my current run, so I'm working on mapping the remaining "dark" areas of the map, trying to eventually reveal as much of each map as possible, but I'm in no hurry to do it.  I like the slower pace and just enjoying the view.  The game is absolutely beautiful in so many ways.  I love starting the game in the morning and sitting by a fire at the mouth of a cave to watch the sun rise, just listening to the crackling fire and sipping my real life coffee.  Or taking in a brilliant fire-in-the-sky sunset.

I think I tend to have one or two favorite places in each region.  I'm with you on the lighthouse in Desolation Point.  It's especially amazing during an aurora.  I mentioned Monolith Lake in Hushed River Valley.  In Mountain Town, I waste away a lot of days around the farmhouse.  In some regions, my favorite area is based on the view - Foreman's Retreat in Ash Canyon, Deer Clearing in Timberwolf Mountain (nice open area with a fantastic view of the mountain), Jack Rabbit Island or Misanthrope's in Coastal Highway, and the Hunting Lodge in Broken Railroad.  I also like the coziness of Angler's Den in Ash Canyon, Trapper's Cabin in Mystery Lake, Cannery Worker residences in Bleak Inlet, caves in Winding River and the Ravine, and even the farmhouse in (Un)Pleasant Valley.  From the shades of blue in Coastal Highway to the shades of yellow in Forlorn Muskeg, there's always something to just enjoy and for me, it never gets old.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I think that play style works for any difficulty.  I'm an Interloper player and tend to do the same thing.  Once I'm over the hump of getting the basic things I need, I settle in and just hunker down in one place until I get bored with it, then go somewhere else.  Monolith Lake in HRV is one of my favorite places.  I love spending time in that area and was just there for maybe 20 days.  When I start getting bored, I think of the other regions and there's always one that I'm excited to go or return to.  I'll gather what I need to survive for a day or two and leave everything else behind.  Some people are good with keeping notes about items left around the world, but I'm terrible at it.  I enjoy coming back to a place I haven't been for a while and rediscovering what I left there.

I've mapped all the locations in my current run, so I'm working on mapping the remaining "dark" areas of the map, trying to eventually reveal as much of each map as possible, but I'm in no hurry to do it.  I like the slower pace and just enjoying the view.  The game is absolutely beautiful in so many ways.  I love starting the game in the morning and sitting by a fire at the mouth of a cave to watch the sun rise, just listening to the crackling fire and sipping my real life coffee.  Or taking in a brilliant fire-in-the-sky sunset.

I think I tend to have one or two favorite places in each region.  I'm with you on the lighthouse in Desolation Point.  It's especially amazing during an aurora.  I mentioned Monolith Lake in Hushed River Valley.  In Mountain Town, I waste away a lot of days around the farmhouse.  In some regions, my favorite area is based on the view - Foreman's Retreat in Ash Canyon, Deer Clearing in Timberwolf Mountain (nice open area with a fantastic view of the mountain), Jack Rabbit Island or Misanthrope's in Coastal Highway, and the Hunting Lodge in Broken Railroad.  I also like the coziness of Angler's Den in Ash Canyon, Trapper's Cabin in Mystery Lake, Cannery Worker residences in Bleak Inlet, caves in Winding River and the Ravine, and even the farmhouse in (Un)Pleasant Valley.  From the shades of blue in Coastal Highway to the shades of yellow in Forlorn Muskeg, there's always something to just enjoy and for me, it never gets old.

That's actually really refreshing to hear! I've encountered a few Interlopers whose attitudes tend to be ride or die, no camping, etc. It's really nice to find an interloper player who appreciates the beauty of the game!

Like the previous poster (I can't figure out how to tag that tricky name haha)I'm more a fan of the camp cabin at ML. Trappers is wonderful but I think playing story mode made me salty towards it, after getting locked out haha.

Tough question, I have a lot of favourites places but my all time favourite has to be the farmhouse in PV. I play on mostly voyager (though I'm starting to prefer stalker quite a bit) and I like the abundance of wildlife. The wolves typically are a safe distance from the house, and I always love the thrill of the hunt when taking down the bear, even if it usually ends up with a mauling. 

It's also rather close to Thomson's Crossing, which is near the coal mine so I can get from PV to CH pretty quickly.

It definitely isn't the best base in the world, but it's almost always my first choice, though I don't quite know why I love living in Un-Pleasant Valley so much

• Upvote 1

Until I first visited TWM (around day 1100 on voyager) my favorite locations were the Fishing Camp at Coastal Highway and the Farmhouse at Pleasant Valley.  Each are easy places to hunt bear. However at either location the unwary can be surprised by the Bear wandering by. Neither location is too wolf happy.

Now I appreciate the ease of hunkering down at the Mountaineer's Cabin at Crystal Lake.  Predators don't normally approach the cabin.  Deer, Rabbits, Wolf and Bear are all available along with a fishing hut.   Fuel is readily available right around the cabin without predator interference.  Hunting the bear from the fishing hut is proving easy.   I assembled a 20 day surplus of meat within 10 days of arriving. Cargo containers provide unwanted clothes I can break down into cloth.  Occasional trips back to Pleasant Valley allow me to shuttle back loot and food; I return with scrap metal from the abandoned prepper cache to repair my tools.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
  • Upvote 1

My favorite places are almost all in Coastal Highway. I also play on Green/Pilgrim so the wolves and bears are not a big problem.

My favorite house of all is the one just below the Quonset gas station,  it has a fireplace and tons of shelves and cupboards for storage. I usually break down all of the furniture that's in the way in the front room. Straight line to a fishing hut, work bench right across the road, plenty of wood & game around, and if you get the moose, it's a short trip back with the meat/hide/guts. Sometimes this one is burned down, though, bummer. This style of house is definitely my favorite, I don't like the 2 story ones as much, too much wandering around in the dark to find your bed.

I also enjoy all of the cabins that are in the "campground" area above the fishing camp - even though you have to keep your fire/cooking outside. They are all so quiet & cozy and have access to rabbits and deer close by. Storage is limited tho, and you have to walk down for the work bench (outside) and fishing. I usually wander over to each one of them for a few days and gather the rose hips and mushrooms that are abundant.  Fishing camp has some nice cabins, too, I like the one with the single bed the best.

I'm also very fond of the Paradise Meadows farmhouse in Milton/Mountain Town; there's just so much storage,  lots of loot, a fireplace and that great 6 -burner stove.  I once gathered up 6 cooking pots and made 12 liters of water!  Also has easy access to deer, rabbits, cattails, wood and items for the bow/arrows.

Enjoyed reading what others like best ...

• Upvote 1