That is NOT how pressure works

Lord of the Long Dark

So frustrating. The steam room in the power plant is so illogical. whoever designed it has no understanding of how fluid dynamics works. watching the pressure gauge increase as flow increases is completely the opposite of the actual mechanics of pressure. Like with Ohms law, resistance is decreased as flow increases.  looking at that full pressure gauge just before a steam leak was maddening in itself much less watching it increase in a “parallel circuit”  Come on man  You should be able to look at the pipe structure and think on term of pressure dynamics and solve the puzzle through logic instead of trial and error.  i almost starved to death doing ridiculous combinations to increase pressure on the gauges  

for anyone who took high school physics that puzzle was harder than it should have been because it is illogical. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

So frustrating. The steam room in the power plant is so illogical. whoever designed it has no understanding of how fluid dynamics works. watching the pressure gauge increase as flow increases is completely the opposite of the actual mechanics of pressure. Like with Ohms law, resistance is decreased as flow increases.  looking at that full pressure gauge just before a steam leak was maddening in itself much less watching it increase in a “parallel circuit”  Come on man  You should be able to look at the pipe structure and think on term of pressure dynamics and solve the puzzle through logic instead of trial and error.  i almost starved to death doing ridiculous combinations to increase pressure on the gauges  

for anyone who took high school physics that puzzle was harder than it should have been because it is illogical. 

Whew.  Good thing this is only a game and not a real life fluid dynamics simulator!

I understand your point, though.  There are often things in the game that my brain tries to relate to the real world and have to tell it to stop it and just play the game.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Whew.  Good thing this is only a game and not a real life fluid dynamics simulator!

I understand your point, though.  There are often things in the game that my brain tries to relate to the real world and have to tell it to stop it and just play the game.

Sorry but when you make a puzzle based on physical dynamics, it should be accurate to those dynamics. It is irrelevant whether I t is a game or not.   Otherwise there is no logic to it, it’s just random chance. The puzzle is actually more difficult for people who know physical chemistry and not in a good way. 

In a game where you can traipse around for days on end, despite having been given a legitimate warning not to dawdle - literally, you can take weeks of in-game time to chill, craft, hunt, build, travel, treasure hunt ... Where you can get shot or mauled by a wolf and slap on a bandage mid run and not die... Where you can spend the night in an open cave with no fire and you're totally fine... Where you can fill up an old lady's fridge with 80lbs of water and not have her smack you upside the head...  and THIS is what you choose to focus on?

Man... I really worry that you're a little too invested in the 'realism' of this game. It's disconcerting that you can't seem to separate reality from fiction. It's a game. Meant for entertainment purposes. It's animated drawings and voice actors in a studio. If you expect 100% realism, maybe you should just try out for the show Alone??

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Sorry but when you make a puzzle based on physical dynamics, it should be accurate to those dynamics. It is irrelevant whether I t is a game or not.   Otherwise there is no logic to it, it’s just random chance. The puzzle is actually more difficult for people who know physical chemistry and not in a good way. 

Clearly never played tomb raider :)

In a land where you can survive by drinking from the u bend I realy wouldn't tax your brain

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Corso said:

Clearly never played tomb raider :)

In a land where you can survive by drinking from the u bend I realy wouldn't tax your brain

You mean in a legit survival situation you wouldn't scoop out liters of toilet water from a dirty public restroom in a prison guard station?? 

4 hours ago, ElleJoy said:

In a game where you can traipse around for days on end, despite having been given a legitimate warning not to dawdle - literally, you can take weeks of in-game time to chill, craft, hunt, build, travel, treasure hunt ... Where you can get shot or mauled by a wolf and slap on a bandage mid run and not die... Where you can spend the night in an open cave with no fire and you're totally fine... Where you can fill up an old lady's fridge with 80lbs of water and not have her smack you upside the head...  and THIS is what you choose to focus on?

Man... I really worry that you're a little too invested in the 'realism' of this game. It's disconcerting that you can't seem to separate reality from fiction. It's a game. Meant for entertainment purposes. It's animated drawings and voice actors in a studio. If you expect 100% realism, maybe you should just try out for the show Alone??

Good game design reflects the puzzle logic. For example in a math puzzle a good design follow math rules. It doesnt just make things up.  It’s not about accuracy as much as puzzle logic design. 
  Since you obviously do not understand fluidics though it is irrelevant to you - just turn them levers boy! Lol!!!

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Good game design reflects the puzzle logic. For example in a math puzzle a good design follow math rules. It doesnt just make things up.  It’s not about accuracy as much as puzzle logic design. 
  Since you obviously do not understand fluidics though it is irrelevant to you - just turn them levers boy! Lol!!!

precisely - fluidics in a game with hostile wolves and the ability to survive being mauled by a bear/moose

the first puzzle is 6 levers - so 6  on or off questions mostly supported by logic and gauges

5 of them are obvious

i myself wasted a lot of time cause i misunderstood the last one... kept laughing at myself thru the entire tunnel system for not trying my first thought on said last lever

it's a game, and an unforgiving one at that (yes savegames yada yada)

just push through and enjoy your victory after that

or maybe try to get lvl 71 in escape from tarkov - if u want to know real pain...

PS.: their forums are even less forgiving xD

1 hour ago, camel said:

precisely - fluidics in a game with hostile wolves and the ability to survive being mauled by a bear/moose

the first puzzle is 6 levers - so 6  on or off questions mostly supported by logic and gauges

5 of them are obvious

i myself wasted a lot of time cause i misunderstood the last one... kept laughing at myself thru the entire tunnel system for not trying my first thought on said last lever

it's a game, and an unforgiving one at that (yes savegames yada yada)

just push through and enjoy your victory after that

or maybe try to get lvl 71 in escape from tarkov - if u want to know real pain...

PS.: their forums are even less forgiving xD

A bear or moose attack is not a PUZZLE. puzzle design needs to be accurate. That’s the whole point of a puzzle. 
  Let’s think here people. Be logical. It’s a puzzle based on a scientific concept and fails to follow the algorithms.  It therefore does not allow for logical process to solve. 
  I am not one to just flip through combinations out of permutation. I am one to solve through rational process.  That’s true for all puzzle aficionados unless they just like flipping levers like a fool. 

9 hours ago, ElleJoy said:

You mean in a legit survival situation you wouldn't scoop out liters of toilet water from a dirty public restroom in a prison guard station?? 

Nope many better places to get water particularly with all the snow about - don't even need a fire

3 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

A bear or moose attack is not a PUZZLE. puzzle design needs to be accurate. That’s the whole point of a puzzle. 
  Let’s think here people. Be logical. It’s a puzzle based on a scientific concept and fails to follow the algorithms.  It therefore does not allow for logical process to solve. 
  I am not one to just flip through combinations out of permutation. I am one to solve through rational process.  That’s true for all puzzle aficionados unless they just like flipping levers like a fool. 

and yet there's a sequence in the steam tunnels where we all were flipping levers like fools

my point was that there are 21 of them dang things and 1 of em doesn't make sense - yes i agree in multiple ways that single one seems stupid and nonsensical - 

yet your point is mute - logic puzzles are separate from game logic? no!

try your luck with ocarina of time, or some early dos games, many of which had sound logical puzzles until they didn't

tld is no different, it always follows the same logic : not rly that realistic

It seems to me that the TC is right, this riddle is just confusing. Instead of a completely logical decision to include only certain levers to increase the pressure, we need to include everything. This is weird.
And yes, this is a game, there is a lot of fiction, but it is much more pleasant to deal with  more realistic tasks.

I was a little disappointed when I realized how it works in the game

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ElleJoy said:

Imagine how much more stuff Mackenzie/Astrid could carry if they stopped lugging around the label maker they use for their water bottling operations!  I thought the steam valve and toxic gas stuff was a reasonable addition to story mode, I liked it far better than saving people in episode 3.  And honestly the developers have to do something - what is survival mode but an endless series of self-directed fetch quests?  I thought the addition of humans as antagonists was done well enough and enjoyed the story thoroughly.

Edited by fauxjargon

It’s good to see there are some intelligent people here. 
  Exactly. It’s a game, but this part of the game is a logic puzzle. It’s like if you played soduko puzzle but the number combinations didn’t add up- they were just random. It’s not a logic puzzle then. It’s stupid. 
   I am sure there are people who are fine just trying combinations til they get it, but intelligent people want to solve the logic, not just randomly get to solution. 

1 hour ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

It’s good to see there are some intelligent people here. 
  Exactly. It’s a game, but this part of the game is a logic puzzle. It’s like if you played soduko puzzle but the number combinations didn’t add up- they were just random. It’s not a logic puzzle then. It’s stupid. 
   I am sure there are people who are fine just trying combinations til they get it, but intelligent people want to solve the logic, not just randomly get to solution. 

Didn't you're mother ever teach you any good manners! It's bad enough that you are arrogant and patronising but now you're saying nearly everyone else is stupid!  So let's just add insulting to the list as well! You sir need to learn how to treat others with some respect!  

• Upvote 2

I highly doubt that knowledge of hydraulics is a reliable predictor of intelligence. I don't recall seeing it in any of the standardized tests that scientists use to measure intelligence. However, the Stanford-Binet intelligence test does have a factor called fluid reasoning, perhaps that is the hydraulics part you're refering to. I like the tests that include social intelligence anyway.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Didn't you're mother ever teach you any good manners! It's bad enough that you are arrogant and patronising but now you're saying nearly everyone else is stupid!  So let's just add insulting to the list as well! You sir need to learn how to treat others with some respect!  

I am not saying everyone else is stupid. The truth is about 50% of people simply lack logical thought process. It’s shown in this thread by people saying the game is unrealistic so why should the puzzle be. The point is if people fail to be able to use logical thought process and they just want to solve puzzles through permutation that’s fine. But for people who solve puzzles through  logic, the puzzle Designer must design accordingly.  Because it allows logical thinkers to do the puzzle as intended and has no effect on those who just hunt and peck.  Nothing to do with realism or courtesy. 
   You don’t need to worry about this though.  Just keep on turning them levers kiddo lol!!!!

9 minutes ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

I am not saying everyone else is stupid. The truth is about 50% of people simply lack logical thought process. It’s shown in this thread by people saying the game is unrealistic so why should the puzzle be. The point is if people fail to be able to use logical thought process and they just want to solve puzzles through permutation that’s fine. But for people who solve puzzles through  logic, the puzzle Designer must design accordingly.  Because it allows logical thinkers to do the puzzle as intended and has no effect on those who just hunt and peck.  Nothing to do with realism or courtesy. 
   You don’t need to worry about this though.  Just keep on turning them levers kiddo lol!!!!

Since when is 52  the age of a child?  I don't have problems using logic if and when it calls for it, I just choose not to live by it like you do!   And thank you for proving my point about your attitude!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Dude. IQ has absolutely nothing to do with it. This is a game. Period. You want realism in something that is intended for entertainment purposes. The fact that you can't find enjoyment in it because it doesn't meet your standards is unfortunate but insulting other people who disagree with you by calling them unintelligent, illogical or incompetent is just rude. 

You may think you're smarter than everyone.... But I'd rather be respectful and kind.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

I am not saying everyone else is stupid. The truth is about 50% of people simply lack logical thought process.

On 10/8/2021 at 7:55 AM, Lord of the Long Dark said:

i almost starved to death doing ridiculous combinations to increase pressure on the gauges 

I saw it for what it was and it took me less than time than the torch I was carrying to burn down

Stupid is as stupid does...

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Corso said:

I saw it for what it was and it took me less than time than the torch I was carrying to burn down

Stupid is as stupid does...

No you didn’t. Prove it - all you have to do is explain the puzzle logic. go. Waiting. 
  You won’t though. I 100% guarantee you won’t. I 100-% guarantee that. Because you are lying. 
  Here come the red herrings folks- just watch!!!

6 hours ago, ElleJoy said:

Dude. IQ has absolutely nothing to do with it. This is a game. Period. You want realism in something that is intended for entertainment purposes. The fact that you can't find enjoyment in it because it doesn't meet your standards is unfortunate but insulting other people who disagree with you by calling them unintelligent, illogical or incompetent is just rude. 

You may think you're smarter than everyone.... But I'd rather be respectful and kind.

Then why don’t you put that to the test if you dare!! Ever play Eacape The Wumpus? VIRTUALLY NOBODY solves the puzzle. 
  You are trapped in a cave with a Wumpus. To escape you must enter a two digit code. The code is the next number in the following sequence:

0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13….

What’s the next number so you can escape the Wumpus?

Good luck with that one. Almost no one gets it. 

23 minutes ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Then why don’t you put that to the test genius. Ever play Eacape The Wumpus? VIRTUALLY NOBODY solves the puzzle. 
  You are trapped in a cave with a Wumpus. To escape you must enter a two digit code. The code is the next number in the following sequence:

0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13….

What’s the next number so you can escape the Wumpus?

Good luck with that one. Almost no one gets it. 

I have literally zero need or desire to prove my intelligence to you, bud. But because you obviously need to feel superior to others... For the record, it's probably 21. It appears to be the Fibonacci sequence. And the game was called Hunt the Wumpus, if I remember correctly. 

Edited by ElleJoy
Typo
  • Upvote 3