Way to make Starters. ( for fire so that games can be infinite)

jakfranov

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LAUNGUE SORRY FOR MISTAKES

Curently there arent any ways to make starters. So games cant be infinite. There are lot of matches! But you will eventually run out of them. Here are my ideas:

1. Allow matches or firestriker to spawn with beachcombing mechanic. (really simple but it would solve problem with limited starters)

2. Make some caves in some regions to spawn flint (for example) that with metal (for example) could make starter. It could have same chances and decay rates like firestriker.

3. ??? (you get my point by now i hope. Your ideas?)

Please up vote so this problem could be solved.

• Upvote 2

Bow drill is frequently suggested, and frankly I'm all for it. Or something like an ember box that allows you to preserve a small smoldering ember overnight after the fire has gone out. It's true that we have a mag lens for "free" fires, but that's pretty exploitative of the game's mechanics. It's been normalized, we all do it, but come on. Taking advantage of magic plastic bottles that appear out of nowhere to store your 50L of boiled water is ridiculous. And picking up a frozen moose steak that you cooked 2 weeks ago out of the snow and cramming it into your pie hole, also ridiculous. Water never freezes, frozen meat can be eaten immediately. It's silly.

So adding a form of anytime-anyplace firestarter would promote a more realistic play style where you cook your food prior to eating it...just like you do in real life. To balance it, a bow drill should be difficult to use, such that even at level 5 it might take you a couple tries. And that hypothetical ember box should require constant maintenance to keep the ember burning, like adding tinder to it every couple hours or so or it burns out.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 3:09 PM, ajb1978 said:

To balance it, a bow drill should be difficult to use, such that even at level 5 it might take you a couple tries.

It would eat up time too, maybe improving as your level in fire starting increases. I like the idea of gradually becoming more primitive as supplies run out, and those primitive methods use up your days more than the early game. 

On 7/25/2021 at 3:09 PM, ajb1978 said:

And that hypothetical ember box should require constant maintenance to keep the ember burning, like adding tinder to it every couple hours or so or it burns out.

For that matter, it  be amazing if you could add tinder to embers in a fireplace to keep the embers going as well, something to use all those tinder plugs after they are not needed to start fires. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

@ajb1978Water (and food) not freezing is probably an oversight of the devs IMO. A can of pork n' beans sitting outside for days at -20C would be frozen completely solid. No way it would be edible until it was well thawed. It's also weird that the water in toilets never freezes even if the house is below 0C.

That being said, if a freeze/thaw mechanic is added, fire needs to be easier to make and/or maintain. Here's some ideas I have.

Some way for campfires to not get blown out by wind. I mean... I get it, it's meant to be a way to prevent people from sleeping anywhere, but, come on... at least change this such that putting coal onto the fire prevents it from being windblown. Blowing lots of air at burning coal, after all, is what makes blacksmithing work.

A way to dampen down fires in stoves. Need a fire to burn for a long time, but don't need tons of heat? Dampen down the stove. Heat output would be reduced, but the fire would last much longer. To prevent this from being misused, interiors could be made colder by default.

• Upvote 3

I think flint should be a findable item in the game, you could find it in lighters if you took them apart and every shop has a flint and steel spark thing to start blow torches.  This is what I was thinking for a shop spark maker. But they last for a long time, my dad still has his from 20 years ago. this could be a rare find in any autobody shops or even a guy who was really into car and mechanics might have left one.

download.jpg.b75ea8e8ca4aed3c7ab7af773f68b9d4.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bow drill and flint would be awesome additions. I agree with @ajb1978, using a bow drill should be slightly difficult and could take a few tries to start a fire. Flint could be treated like coal, generally only found in caves with a slow/nearly non existent respawn  rate. 

Lastly, if a mag lens can make fire then so could the bottom of a broken bottle. 

• Upvote 1

in summary of the initial post the fire is already infinite simply use the magnifying glass on sunny days and avoid using matches except when you really need them otherwise if I would like other things to be infinite, such as metal to make arrows or natural resources

20 hours ago, mayimbe said:

in summary of the initial post the fire is already infinite simply use the magnifying glass on sunny days and avoid using matches except when you really need them otherwise if I would like other things to be infinite, such as metal to make arrows or natural resources

Agreed. Would like infinite natural resources, especially rosehips!

• Upvote 1