Old mans beard!

Leeanda

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Why do most people chose to carry heavy bottles of antiseptic and ignore the old mans beard? I only carry bottles until I can find OMB then I drop them. Its seems JTS the one resource that's ignored and I wonder why?

I didn't know people ignored old man's beard. I don't think I've ever used the peroxide outside of a base.

I've had a bottle sitting there In 100% condition for 600+ days!

But why when going to places like HRV would you want to carry extra weight when OMB is everywhere?surely it's better for when you're in places where weight is more of a problem?

In 600+ days on pilgrim I've touched only one bottle and that was at the beginning when I didn't know how friendly the animals were! Even then I dumped it as soon as I found some old man's beard! Haven't touched it since!

I do not know about players carrying antiseptic rather than old mans beard wound dressings, but perhaps the matter might be a practical one.  They haven't found enough old man's beard lichen to make enough wound dressings to suit them.  They might also inattentive enough to not notice the presence of both items in inventory until it is called to their attention.  Might also be a case where the player does not realize what for experienced players would be common knowledge.  No in-game help files, you know. 

I can honestly say that I have only used bandages,painkillers a lot ( constant sprains) and antibiotics twice due to eating uncooked fish 😭 but on pilgrim it's unlucky to get attacked by bear or moose! What is the treatment for being stamped all over anyway! Never had moose attack me 😄

I play pilgrim too, and I ticked off a moose and got stomped on twice lol. Was like 168 hours of healing for one rib and 160 for the other I think . 2 bandages and a bunch of painkillers. Then you cant climb and only heal while resting. I did find that I can cook too as long as I’m not moving around. 

On 6/22/2021 at 7:12 PM, Stinky socks said:

If you plan long game and get bitten often, best to use up peroxide because it loses condition; old man beard doesn't. 

You can still use 0% antiseptic.

8 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

I do not know about players carrying antiseptic rather than old mans beard wound dressings, but perhaps the matter might be a practical one.  They haven't found enough old man's beard lichen to make enough wound dressings to suit them.

I never make the wound dressings until after I've been attacked because OMB weighs less together(3) than 1 dressing. You have a lot of time before infection hits.

Edited by wilsonaka

I think a lot of items are simply there for beginners or intermediate players like the pcoat, ski boots, etc. Basically any item you will never/rarely find on Interloper. I know as a beginner I got in many more scuffles with critters than I do now, and depending on the skill level, the bottles are everywhere. Now it's just too easy to craft what I need.

One thing I noticed is OMB is lighter if left un-crafted. So generally I don't craft until I need it, which is rare.