Interloper Bases

NickBeast17

Would it not be better to find out yourself?

If the game is played as HTL designed it, you are a crashed pilot trying to survive in a hostile and challenging situation, not a guy with access to easy solutions from guys on internet.

It's not really clear what you're asking. Most players tend to be pretty mobile early on in interloper runs, due to the dearth of resources and the desirability of forging sooner rather than later. I tend to gravitate toward PV or ML early, because those regions generally have plenty of indoor shelter and good loot. If I find a hacksaw and bedroll I'll head up to the summit of TWM. OTOH if I find a heavy hammer, I'll head over to Spence's in FM to forge.

3 hours ago, NickBeast17 said:

Been playing stalker for a while now and am starting my first serious interloper run. Would like to hear what some of the best interloper bases that you guys use are. Thanks! 

Perhaps one of the easiest places to get acclimated with the difficulty after collecting essential loot is the ravine cave + dam trailers + dam workbench. The ravine spawns a couple deer, has no wolves, lots of birch bark, several rabbit groves. Be mindful of the wolf that occasionally spawns near the trailers.

Trapper's cabin is also great with addition of nearby bear spawns, but you have to be more watchful of cabin fever.

It is hard to stay in one location for super long due to dwindling resources, perhaps most notably sticks for firewood, but you can generally stretch supplies in a location for a few weeks. If you really wanted, you could move between several nearby locations periodically and that would probably carry you fine.

Other nice mentions is the trailer in milton near HRV entrance and marsh ridge in FM (bedroll required).

Edited by darkscaryforest
  • Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng

You can make good cases for a lot of "retirement home". But starting in Interloper I wouldn't concern myself with that too much, but rather stay light and mobile, collect your gear while it's still available, and get your knife, bow and arrows done sooner rather than later. There are a few key locations you want to loot before the clothing there disappears. I would also advise against hauling every piece of gear to one central location, but rather note a few key locations in several regions where you stash you the things you might need down the line.

In general you could say what makes a good base on Stalker makes a good base on Interloper, maybe with a few exceptions. A few notes:

Quonset, which seems to remain a fan favorite, really has the drawback of getting sniped by one of the wolves that come from impossible angles at times. While this is a nuisance on Stalker, it greatly shortens your lifespan on Interloper.

Pleasant Valley in general suffers from a very high amount of Blizzards on Interloper, and you should take those seriously. This makes the Farm House less of an ideal place than it maybe is on Stalker.

The effectiveness of fishing on Interloper is greatly diminished not only due to the fact that you need firewood for (almost) every hour fishing, but also suffer from reduced fish spawn pretty severely. Keep this in mind when considering a base for its availability of fishing.

When properly utilized caves are a more than viable option to live, especially considering they are exempt from cabin fever.

It's largely matter of preference. Some are better than others for the resources, but you can live almost anywhere.

Early to mid-game you don't really have fixed bases anyways. You need to move around quickly to find vital items and resources. The first time you settle down for a little while is after you crafted your tools and arrowheads. Then you need a bit to craft weapons and clothing. After that it's off to loot the rest of the maps. You can spend some more time in certain places, but I don't tend to stay anywhere for too long.

5 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Quonset, which seems to remain a fan favorite, really has the drawback of getting sniped by one of the wolves that come from impossible angles at times. While this is a nuisance on Stalker, it greatly shortens your lifespan on Interloper.

I avoid it on Stalker because of the sheer amount of wolves there. On Interloper it's risky, but manageable because there are far less of them. And there are plenty of times when they stay out on the ice. Not necessarily my favorite, but it's not as bad as it's sometimes made out to be. It can even be a great place to hunt wolves for the coat.

Edited by Serenity

On 6/23/2021 at 11:07 AM, NickBeast17 said:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone ! I think I am going to be very mobile on my first run.

That's absolutely your best bet. As long as you have your bow and bedroll, there's not much that can pose a threat in loper, firewood is plenty almost everywhere and wildlife is sparse compared to stalker, but still plenty of game to be had even disregarding wolf meat. Plus, the climate is really mild on the early days, so much so that finding a decent coat will make the afternoons really warm. You gotta take advantage of that, minimizing condition loss is key to maintaining mobility.

One thing I'd echo is that you absolutely need you tools and bow to have a sucessful run when you are inexperienced. So you need a central location to consolidate your guts/pelts curing while you forge, walking around with full scent is not a good idea when you're unarmed.

If I'm going for a FM forge run, I'll station my guts/pelts/saplings in the Hydro Dam. It's super central and not too far away from the forge, plus between the Dam, Winding River and the Ravine you have pelts to make full deer and rabbit clothing, and you get the flare gun for the occasional accidental bear or moose scare ( even an emergency deer kill ).  Just prepare everything there, go forge and then you'll have stuff cured on the way back to work on, works a treat when you just want to speedrun a new character to be the guinea pig explorer in a new upcoming region or something like that. 

Good luck!

Miner's Folly is supposed to be a rather good long-term base, especially if you have level 5 cooking. It's completely safe from wolves, and the bear's a big target, easy to hit with a bow. Firewood isn't that easy to get, but there's coal in the cave not too far away, and a deer does spawn sometimes along the path leading down to Homesteader's Respite.

• Upvote 1

Quonset is the best place.  You can clear out the wolves pretty easily every week or so by luring them out onto the ice and sniping them with arrows.  It has the best weather there and that is crucial.  

I'm sure you'll get a feel @NickBeast17 for the place that suits you. I shun the weekly wolf culling of Quonset though I like to visit the area to fish. Sunsets on the Muskeg are spectacular and it's nice to camp on Marsh ridge. I find a holiday at Monolith lake particularly life affirming.

16 hours ago, Stone said:

I'm sure you'll get a feel @NickBeast17 for the place that suits you. I shun the weekly wolf culling of Quonset though I like to visit the area to fish. Sunsets on the Muskeg are spectacular and it's nice to camp on Marsh ridge. I find a holiday at Monolith lake particularly life affirming.

Sounds Good!

• 7 months later...

I say best 2 places to start are broken railroad and desolation point br because you can go get tools at spence or in the maintenance shed if you find a hammer then go to trappers cabin best hunting spot you have got everything except timberwolves and there are lots of carcasses and saplings around and a way to milton

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 12:17 PM, Bean said:

Quonset is the best place.  You can clear out the wolves pretty easily every week or so by luring them out onto the ice and sniping them with arrows.  It has the best weather there and that is crucial.  

I disagree.

Quonset has the big disadvantage of no easy place to sleep off cabin fever.

Most fishing huts lost their doors, so it's not a safe place anymore (let alone all the fire wood one needs).

-t

Edited by turtle777