Bows !

Leeanda

Has anyone got any advice for using the bow! I'm terrible at it! I didn't even realise there was a marker until I watched y-tube!? I can't see the tiny white dot on my screen even against a dark background!  I have lost a lot of arrows cos I can't see them half the time!

Wish you could colour change the feathers and the marker!

Any advice for an obviously poor sighted old woman!?

For the crosshair my only suggestion would be to put a little sticky note piece on your screen. Some monitors have a crosshair you can enable as well.

Other than that I don't think there is anything you can do unless the devs implement a crosshair selection like in UT2004, or allow you to spray paint the backs of your arrows.

My guess they haven't implemented a crosshair because you have a trajectory to deal with. Depending on distance, your point of impact will vary.

Many games draw a rainbow transparent line where an arrow will fly, but that would be too easy!

Edited by Stinky socks

I don't remember having a dot. It only appears when you pick something up. When you shoot an arrow, you go into aim mode and Astrid or Will pull the arrow back for a shot. I dont remember having crosshairs or dots there..

I'm usually pretty bad at shooting far away because I can never correct for arrow drop properly. Always either overshoot or too short.

It just takes practice.  I recommend shooting wabbits because they’re tricky to hit.  Or charging wolves because the trick is to walk backwards while aiming square between their eyes.  Release half a second before you think you should, and it’s usually an instant kill.  The bow is intuitive in nature.  This tracks well to shooting recurve bows in real life, as I’m always a better shot when I don’t AIM, but just let my instincts guide the shot.  

• Like 1

I did actually start by shooting bunnies! Can hit them fine but deer and bear I seem to have trouble with!

Finally had a moose kill this morning whilst charging me! Good job the second one was a kill shot! Thought I'd missed him cos the bow looked too low to me. Would have been my first ever attack by moose if I'd missed!😀

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I did actually start by shooting bunnies! Can hit them fine but deer and bear I seem to have trouble with!

Just some info about the deer:

Before archery 5 you can't shoot while crouched, but you can still get into a great position, uncrouch, and then fire quickly before the deer can react.

You can get quite close to deer while crouched. If you can afford to be patient, wait until it is walking towards you or at least a direction that exposes its chest. Have your bow equipped and move with the deer maintaining as close a distance as you can. Wait until the deer stops facing you and either puts its head down to the ground or scuffs its hoof on the snow. Position your bow for the deer's chest..put it low to correct for the fact you are crouched. Uncrouch, pull back on bow, release without hesitation.

Edited by darkscaryforest
  • Upvote 2

You can get them to wig out and get stuck in a corner in a few areas (examples include most of ash canyon, all of hushed river valley and the one at crystal lake). Now that they don't wall climbing abelites. Wait until they run towards you and then fire at point blank. If your not able to do that and have to shoot normally sneak up on it then un-crouch and quickly fire. You actually want to go for a broad side shot if  are willing to follow in order to increase the area of deer that you can hit. Shooting dear is inefficient anyway though. Unless you are trying to get the Waist Not Want Not achievement then chase them to a wolf then shot the wolf. The wolfs are stationary and you can get really close. Plus you get way more food and hide for your arrow durability.

Edited by RegentRelic

21 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

I don't remember having a dot. It only appears when you pick something up. When you shoot an arrow, you go into aim mode and Astrid or Will pull the arrow back for a shot. I dont remember having crosshairs or dots there..

You can turn it on permanently in the settings. I wouldn't though since it is really annoying.

6 minutes ago, RegentRelic said:

Shooting dear is inefficient anyway though. Unless you are trying to get the Waist Not Want Not achievement then chase them to a wolf then shot the wolf. The wolfs are stationary and you can get really close. Plus you get way more food and hide for your arrow durability.

😎thinking like a true survivor! I do it often when there is a known pack(or wolf) around!

Having permanent marker on screen would definitely be annoying!

Shot a wolf yesterday morning! Followed blood trail until it completely disappeared then spent several real time hours looking for it! Never to be found!

As I said I can't even see the dot even with brightness maxed or darkest!

29 minutes ago, RegentRelic said:

Shooting dear is inefficient anyway though.

It really doesn't matter. There is a huge amount of saplings in the game. It takes a long, long time to run out of arrows. Like with other things you'll probably get bored before it happens

• Upvote 1

Agreed, I'm at about 560something day and still have at least 100 arrows left over scattered across bases. Also, if playing on lower difficulties, there is gun and rifle ammo to mix up into your kills.

But using wolf to kill deer can be considered sure-fire way to get deer meat, even if you miss wolf and he runs off..

On 6/21/2021 at 11:07 AM, Leeanda said:

Was considering going up to stalker. But not until I can hit the more dangerous animals with a lot more accuracy!😄

Wait till you get up to Interloper! Haha. The bow is all you have, no guns allowed, and I've never "found" a bow on interloper. But I think I found a couple arrow heads in Ash Canyon. The most success I've had (single shot kill) is when the critter is looking directly at me. Probably due to a head shot. The least success is when hitting them from behind.  Can't recall ever killing anything on the first shot that way. In either case, the distance didn't seem to matter. The best advise you'll get is to just practice, practice, practice :)

At the moment I'm trying to get them from higher places so I can shoot top/back of the head! 

Trouble is too high and a bears head looks very small target for me but I prefer safety over 100% accuracy! 

Call me a chicken but even on pilgrim for me 650+ days is a miracle! I used to get bored when I first started playing cos I didn't really get it so I'd get frustrated and kill myself in many silly ways!

• Like 1

You turn around and run for the ledge where you can jump off, so he can't follow lol. You don't want to be in such situation.

Wait, I dont think they zig zag. Wolves do, but not a bear, because I remember shooting him with rifle as he was ru ning toward me. Usually takes me 4 shots.

I did one shot him with an arrow. "Death-stinky-potion" tipped. Very deadly.(when expired)

Edited by Stinky socks

The rock wasn't high on both sides! It slanted more than I thought so I just kept firing arrows in his general direction! I think that's why he zigzagged!! Couldn't tell if he was trying to get me or just get away!   It was very funny after I calmed down! I lost about 10 arrows  found three! Gave up went to sleep for an hour then went to look for him! Finally found him running around happily between the PV farm and the barn! Not a scratch on him! Missed him with about 15 arrows!😁  so I chased him and finally blew his brains out!

Shot his corpse though twice!lol😃

• Like 1