Closest forge?

Sus-wolf

They're all pretty far from your location but the closest one would be the one at the Spence Homestead in Forlorn Muskeg but is surrounded by weak ice everywhere so your safest bet would be the one in the maintenance shed in Broken Railroad albeit a little farther than the one in FM. There's also one in the Riken in Desolation point but that one is a little far as well but also safer than FM due to no weak ice.

Good luck to you with your trek up Timberwolf Mountain ^_^ 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, PrincessAutumn said:

They're all pretty far from your location but the closest one would be the one at the Spence Homestead in Forlorn Muskeg but is surrounded by weak ice everywhere so your safest bet would be the one in the maintenance shed in Broken Railroad albeit a little farther than the one in FM. There's also one in the Riken in Desolation point but that one is a little far as well but also safer than FM due to no weak ice.

Good luck to you with your trek up Timberwolf Mountain ^_^ 

Would the one in desolation point not be closer? 
I spent a lot of time on the highway and in desolation point so I’m less familiar with going to the left of the map. 

Edited by Sus-wolf

Yes, I think Desolation Point might be closer, but in terms of walking distance it's hard to say.  The advantage of DP is you'll pass through two mines (Pleasant Valley to Coastal Highway then Crumbling Highway to DP), where you'll get enough coal to forge anything you want.

Edited by MrWolf

Guest jeffpeng

If you want to head to TWM afterwards desolation point most likely is the better choice. The reason I actually still don't end up in Desolation Point a whole lot is mostly because of the infamous Crumbling Highway, which is one of the most treacherous places in the entire game with 3 ninja assassin wolves patrolling a rather narrow area.

FM is always a pain to me. The bears are annoying there since you’re limited by the ice where you can walk. Been held up in the rail car a couple times waiting for a good shot. And yeah, making sure you have enough coal going there is a must. 
I would much rather go through CH to DP. Much better chance of finding more equipment and resources you’d want. Although, TWM has more than enough once you reach the summit, but still helps to have the chance for more to go in with.

3 hours ago, Syraith said:

And yeah, making sure you have enough coal going there is a must. 

Going there the first time there is enough coal for at least one forging session. There are crates in the broken down huts along the shore. And the cave nearby may have a little. For repeat visits it's problematic though.

On 6/14/2021 at 7:13 AM, jeffpeng said:

The reason I actually still don't end up in Desolation Point a whole lot is mostly because of the infamous Crumbling Highway, which is one of the most treacherous places in the entire game with 3 ninja assassin wolves patrolling a rather narrow area.

I concur. Maybe folks can comment on their strategies passing through here. I've always gone down on the ice and even then always with a torch or flare already lit (I've never even tried to sneak by). I suppose I could risk losing with an arrow head or two if I see the wolves on approach, but... there could always be just one more waiting up the hill out of sight.

My forge main is Spence's where I inevitably end up leaving in bad weather and get lost on the way back. I like to leave a few pieces of coal to pay it forward for next trip to lessen this chance. You can safely hit the ML-to-Milton cave for 7 or so coal per trip

Edited by darkscaryforest

Guest jeffpeng
7 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Hmm..plotting it out in my head it seems like FM and DP would be close to the same.  Maybe then it's a matter of which PV transition you're closer to!

Yeah, same here. But if you think in terms of reliable shelter on the way, and the (felt) distance in between, DP should be easier and more reliable.

Actually I often think of routes not in "what's the shortest way I can take" but what is the longest leg between two reliable shelters. This makes me take detours quite often, but it also limits the chance of marooning myself somewhere I have no chance to recover from things going wrong (and things go wrong).

If we plot our way to FM from the TWM hut that's Hut -> Abandoned Bunker -> Skeeter's Cave -> Draft Dodger's -> Farm (which is where the OP is/was probably at) -> Signal Hill -> Hilltop Cave -> Transition Cave -> Carter's -> Lake Overlook -> Camp Office -> Poacher's -> Spence's. Traversing Winding River can be treacherous, but the biggest issue is the final leg from Poacher's to Spence's. You have no reliable shelter on the way, and the way is relatively long. I usually the route via the small cavelet south of Poacher's, High Blind, Stone Arch and then the small shed with the fire barrel as these are "relatively" either from predators or weather, but none of them provides shelter from both.

On the other hand to the Riken it's TWM hut -> Abandoned Bunker -> Skeeter's Cave -> Draft Dodger's -> Farm -> Barn -> Thompson's -> Transition Cave -> Trailer (South of the Cave) -> Quonset-> Crumbling Highway (either Cave or Basement) -> Transition Cave -> Church -> Riken. As I mentioned: Crumbling Highway is the issue here. I usually take the path down low, but I had to pivot and take the path along the wall more than once. I have had more than one critical encounter there. Playing Stalker I usually go on eradicating them because hell why not. Playing Interloper crossing this part takes quite a bit of time crouching and misdirecting them a lot. Unless I've achieved Archery 5 God Mode. Then it's more about getting a snack, you know. 😄

But in general I feel like getting there is generally easier. Traversing FM was once my worst nightmare. It's a maze with invisible walls. Once you have them memorized the region loses a lot of it's bite. But if I try to think with my brain before I turned TLD Semi-Pro .... Riken sounds better, actually.

Edited by jeffpeng

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 3:21 PM, darkscaryforest said:

I concur. Maybe folks can comment on their strategies passing through here. I've always gone down on the ice and even then always with a torch or flare already lit (I've never even tried to sneak by). I suppose I could risk losing with an arrow head or two if I see the wolves on approach, but... there could always be just one more waiting up the hill out of sight.

I think the trickiest part of the Crumbling Highway crossing is heading toward Desolation Point in an early Interloper run when I don't yet have a bow.  My strategy, going that direction is this:  Upon entering the region, you'll have to duck under a large rock.  Immediately after, turn right and go up the hill, then left to a place where you can overlook the ice and part of the town.  I've never seen more than two wolves in the region (in Interloper, not sure if it's different in other levels) and they're usually in one of four quadrants: on the ice before or after the Arch cave, around the town, or around the area of the mine that leads to DP.  If I'm lucky, I'll spot a wolf either on the ice or around the town, then I go the other way.  If I don't see any wolves, I'll wait a bit (weather permitting) and listen for howls.  I can usually tell from the howls if they're on the ice or not.  If all else fails, I'll head down to the ice and toward the Arch cave.  If I spot a wolf on the ice beyond the cave, I'll go up through town and hug the left side to get to the DP mine.

Coming back from DP, I'll have a bow so I'm slightly less nervous.  I'll usually pause outside of the DP mine and listen for howls.  If I don't hear anything, I'll head down toward the truck where there's usually a rabbit, and try to scare it toward the road to distract if a wolf is nearby (there often is one down on the road).  Worst case, I can hop in the truck if necessary.

I'll always have a lit torch if possible, and try not to carry anything smelly at first, at least until I know where the wolves are.

• 2 weeks later...

I’d go with desolation point if you’re  coming from pleasant valley.  

Couple of items with the wolves in crumbling highway; keep tight to the left against the mountain side and crouch the majority of the way unless you can see that it’s wide open.  They will spawn on the ice as well.  BE PATIENT.  Yes it takes time.  
If you can’t be patient, JUST KEEP WALKING.  The wolves will trail you from a distance, run to match your run, but will continue trailing you.  The key is to keep walking until you find one of the vehicles along the highway.  Enter the vehicle and they trail away….   Don’t let the intense music stress you ;) They keep their distance unless you stop, then they attack.   
If you have more than one following…. RUN.   When you are ahead of the pack, slow down and KEEP WALKING until you find a vehicle.  

Since OP is getting ready for TWM trip, I'm guessing they do t have crampons. Quick note: it is much easier to traverse FM with crampons on because you have longer time before ice breaks. One can easily take relatively straight shot from poachers train car to the forge at Spencer's. 

Another very radical approach. Don't go the most direct and fastest routes, enjoy the adventure while it is all still new. Once you've been to all regions, the novelty wears off and you wander around, mostly aimless, wondering what to do next. Take your time and enjoy the exploration.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stinky socks said:

Since OP is getting ready for TWM trip, I'm guessing they do t have crampons. Quick note: it is much easier to traverse FM with crampons on because you have longer time before ice breaks. One can easily take relatively straight shot from poachers train car to the forge at Spencer's. 

Another very radical approach. Don't go the most direct and fastest routes, enjoy the adventure while it is all still new. Once you've been to all regions, the novelty wears off and you wander around, mostly aimless, wondering what to do next. Take your time and enjoy the exploration.

WOW that is a radical approach, actually take my time and enjoy the game??  CRAZINESS.  ;) good comment (and I forgot about the crampons helping with FM, I'll be making use of that tip shortly)

• Like 1