30 Days of Night mode

Peaks

You mean surviving on "Endless Night"? Sure. My current run is Voyager + Endless Night. I'm on day 20 now, planning on doing at least 100 days. Although I did almost die in my last session when I stupidly tried to walk from the fishing hut to the Mountaineer's Hut when it was snowing pretty hard and I ran into the bear, got mauled, and then got lost in a blizzard.

BTW, this combination of settings is pretty interesting; I definitely recommend it for anyone looking for a challenge or a change of pace. It really turns some things on their heads.

8 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

How do you craft? Wait for aurora? I doubt your lantern fuel is going to last very long..

There’s not much need for crafting on Voyager. But there are multiple outside work benches (including at least one inside) where you can craft under most weather conditions. 

Lantern fuel is not much of a problem because fishing. 

15 hours ago, Gracia_WolfSlayer said:

I tried to do Interloper+ Endless Night and barely survived 1 day. It's really hard to loot the interiors of buildings in the dark, without matches.... 

Interloper + endless night would be very, very, very hard. I doubt it’s survivable for more than a few days, and even then only with the best of spawns (say, FM + clear skies). 

Cool I was hoping there was a night mode but I’ve done very little reading and I had to play wintermute first to “keep myself in the dark” about any game spoilers or advice I didn’t want to come across, but 50% done with part 3 on normal n jumping right into survival interloper I’ve had the “well fed” buff and only died to the bear so far so I think I can survive interloper at least for a short time.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng
On 5/21/2021 at 9:42 PM, Gracia_WolfSlayer said:

I tried to do Interloper+ Endless Night and barely survived 1 day.

You are brave, Sir.

On 5/21/2021 at 9:42 PM, Gracia_WolfSlayer said:

It's really hard to loot the interiors of buildings in the dark, without matches.... 

No way!

On 5/22/2021 at 4:24 AM, Stinky socks said:

How do you craft?

TWM hut craft bench is open for business 24/7.

What I wonder .... are temperatures also stuck at midnight or so?

Guest jeffpeng
25 minutes ago, Stinky socks said:

Hmm, interesting. Moonlight is sufficient because roof is open? Or do you only craft during Aurora? 

Outside locations allow you to read at night as well as craft. And the TWM hut is - for most intends and purposes - an outside location. So this also means a few other things:

• You get a fire duration bonus if it is below 0 (like in an outside cave)
  • The decay of gear and food is treated like it was stored outside (like in an outside cave)
  • You are prone to weather changes and even blizzards (like .... ehem... in an outside cave)
  • Wolves can come in an rip you a new one (yes, you guessed it, like in an ourside cave)

But, one important difference:

• You can still get cabin fever
Edited by jeffpeng

On 5/22/2021 at 7:37 AM, Dr. S. said:

...only with the best of spawns (say, FM...

Forlorn Muskeg is a *good* place to spawn?! 😳 

I just finished mapping FM for Faithful Cartographer (on Stalker) and t he wolves around the homestead are the worst!

49 minutes ago, straffin said:

Forlorn Muskeg is a *good* place to spawn?! 😳 

I just finished mapping FM for Faithful Cartographer (on Stalker) and t he wolves around the homestead are the worst!

It's the easiest Interloper spawning place because of the extremely short cake walk to ML, and huge stash of cat tails on the way as bonus too. Obviously when you then reach the ML camp office you will get the bedroll and (probably) mag lens too

Anyhow, RE topic, I tried "Endless Night Interloper at Bleak Inlet only" for few days and it was certainly interesting, but constant fumbling in the dark, and no mag lens means long term gaming is compromised

Edited by Mistral
  • Like 1

I'm on about day 55 of my Voyager + Endless Night run, and I still find it very interesting. It feels much more precarious to me than straight interloper at day 55. It's very easy to get lost if you're out and it just starts snowing. Also, hunting is very hard, and there are no crows (except during auroras), so good luck finding carcasses.

You can read and craft outside at night if the weather is good enough. If it's snowing hard enough you'll still get that "It's too dark to read" message.

• Like 1

On day 66 of my Voyageur + Endless Night run, and I think I've run across a bug. After a three-hour crafting session at the mountaineer's hut in TWM, I developed about 20% cabin fever risk. Soon after, I carelessly ate some raw fish and got food poisoning, so I ended up sleeping 10 hours in the hut right after the crafting session, which gave me 96% cabin fever risk.

The problem is that it doesn't seem to be going away. Since then, I spent more than 24 hours outdoors (estimated), mostly in the fishing hut (enough time to burn 3 cedar logs and 6 fir logs in the stove, in addition to about 9 hours of sleep), but also several hours truly outdoors, and the risk is still 96%. I'm pretty sure it's been long enough that the risk should be gone by now, or certainly reduced.

On the other hand, I'm not exactly sure how the cabin fever calculation works, so ...

I put in a bug report, but I'm also curious if @jeffpeng encounters this once he's accumulated enough time for cabin fever to be a ristk.

3 hours ago, Dr. S. said:

On day 66 of my Voyageur + Endless Night run, and I think I've run across a bug. After a three-hour crafting session at the mountaineer's hut in TWM, I developed about 20% cabin fever risk. Soon after, I carelessly ate some raw fish and got food poisoning, so I ended up sleeping 10 hours in the hut right after the crafting session, which gave me 96% cabin fever risk.

The problem is that it doesn't seem to be going away. Since then, I spent more than 24 hours outdoors (estimated), mostly in the fishing hut (enough time to burn 3 cedar logs and 6 fir logs in the stove, in addition to about 9 hours of sleep), but also several hours truly outdoors, and the risk is still 96%. I'm pretty sure it's been long enough that the risk should be gone by now, or certainly reduced.

On the other hand, I'm not exactly sure how the cabin fever calculation works, so ...

I put in a bug report, but I'm also curious if @jeffpeng encounters this once he's accumulated enough time for cabin fever to be a ristk.

IIRC the risk is calculated from a sliding window of the number of minutes you've spent indoors over the last 6 days (113 hours to get cabin fever). So if it truly wasn't a bug, the number of minutes you spent outside trying to mitigate cabin fever was roughly equivalent to the number of minutes you had already spent outside, 6 days ago no longer being counted. You'd have to wait until some minutes where you were inside fall off the window for the risk to go down.

Edited by darkscaryforest
too many words fighting each other

On 6/17/2021 at 5:42 PM, darkscaryforest said:

IIRC the risk is calculated from a sliding window of the number of minutes you've spent indoors over the last 6 days (113 hours to get cabin fever). 

I don't know exactly how CF is calculated, but it's not just a sliding window. I've had instances where I slept indoors and my CF risk went down overnight. That wouldn't be possible with just a sliding window.

Anyway, this is different. I've now spent another day entirely outdoors. Enough time to shoot and harvest a moose, and sleep outside for about six hours. In that time I only went indoors long enough to drop off the hide and some guts. And now my CF risk has gone up to 97%. Usually, the CF risk slowly declines as you spend time outdoors, but here it's not dropping at all. Maybe it will go down eventually, but right now it sure seems like a bug.

Just to follow up one more time, something is definitely bugged with CF in my endless night run.

After spending a few minutes in the hut, I progressed to CF. The cure listed in the status page was don't sleep indoors for 24 hours. So I didn't, and after 24 hours of not being indoors, I immediately caught CF a second time. Then, after another 24 hours outdoors, I immediately caught CF a third time. So somehow, the CF risk is not declining at all, and I seem to be in a perpetual state of CF. Each time I'm "cured" of CF, I immediately catch it again.

Fortunately, it's not too bad. Because I'm playing on Voyageur, my clothing is good enough that I'm at +1ºC when outside (when there's no wind). So spending time outdoors or sleeping outdoors is not a problem. And in endless night, being indoors isn't very useful anyway, so ... 

9 minutes ago, darkscaryforest said:

I wonder what exactly triggered the bug

One thing I’ve noticed is that while the stats page of the journal seems to show the correct number of days survived, the first page of the journal makes it look like everything is happening on day 1. So it seems that the game tracks time in at least two different ways, one based on elapsed time and one as a counter that increments at a certain time each day, like dawn. (This is my guess.) In endless night it’s always midnight, so maybe this second counter isn’t getting incremented, and if that’s what’s used by the CF calculation….

3 hours ago, Dr. S. said:

...maybe this second counter isn’t getting incremented...

I was going to suggest that this may be a(n unintended) consequence of the Endless Night playstyle. I'd submit a bug to Hinterlands and see if this is something they're aware of.

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Has anyone succumbed to cabin fever? I just wondered what happens when it reaches max. Instant death or something else?

The stated penalty is that you are unable to sleep indoors for 24 hours.  This does not completely convey the threat however, because this penalty is independent of the cabin fever risk calculation...ergo, waiting around for 24 hours to elapse indoors would just give you cabin fever again once expired. So this forces you outside since you lose 1 condition per hour after your energy meter is depleted.

You can of course go sleep in a cave if you have a bedroll and proper warmth bonus to survive it.

Edited by darkscaryforest