"Why didnt that work?" -Astrid.

Stinky socks

Friends and  neighbors. Here me out:

It is all too familiar phrase we hear when astrid(or william) use a remedy against 'wrong' illness.

To me, it sounds logical that when you gulp a set of painkillers or antibiotics, you shouldn't choose which illness to cure. Obviously, taking painkillers will get rid of the pain and antibiotics will treat poisoning.

Another point I'd like to make is, if Astrid(or william) know how to make bear dressing, they will surely know how and where and in which case to apply it. Another example, if you know how to brew up tea from reishi mushrooms, it is quite logical to think that you would know what it treats.

My proposal is to have the medicine pick automatic path to cure. If you are sick to the stomach and take antibiotics, there shouldn't be a list of choices for everything your hurting.

iStock_000010802947Medium.jpg

• Upvote 9

The current medicines use system makes no sense. When u use pills, u should use ON YOURSELF, and not on the illness.
Theoretically, the body knows where is the problem, and fetches the proper substances to heal itself.

The player's decisions should be related to choose the right medicine.
For the natural ones, decide if it should be brewed as tea, or smoked, or chewed, or put directly over the wound, or whatever.

Another problem, that i think is a little offtopic but yet related, is the insta-heal method. For example, you get a sprain and barely can walk, then use a bandage and voila! New again, seems nothing has happened. There is not a heal over time, and the applying itself is too fast to notice. It's just a matter of having a bandage ready or not, turning it a insignificant thing, not a real problem.
Still about healing over time, you not even should know if the medicine works at the moment you use it, but keep an eye to the effects over time somehow.

Back on topic, it seems to me that the game designers got a problem (we have only 2 kind of pills) and tried to resolve the worst way possible (let's give a bunch of choices for the players to take only with these 2), instead trying to increase the variety.

@Stinky socks your proposal would be a step on the right direction, i think.

• Upvote 5
  • Like 2

I totally agree and mostly about sprains situation. when you get a sprain you should be walking slower + pain etc. If you apply a bandage after a sprain you should be able to  walk normally but not to run until it is healed. it would make more sense.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Yes it doesn't make any sense but, I think that it's a good gameplay mechanic when chance happens that you only have enough medical supplies to heal part of your body and you have to choose what to heal. Unfortunately that only applies to bandages and very rarely Anti-biotics .The new pain killers don't anything unless you heal all your pain and I'd ask when was the last time you ran out of Anti-septic's was.

One thing that I really hope does get re-worked though is the lasting consequences of injury and illness. Oplie said what if sprains had stricter conditions where they are possible but, your sprint meter was halved for the next day or if after heling a sprained wrist your  drawing animation was longer for the next day.

Edited by RegentRelic
  • Upvote 3

I think as meds decay (and teas should also decay once made) that there should be an increasing chance of the medicine not working (i.e. becoming less effective since this is what happens with painkillers and antibiotics that are past their shelf life).

I refuse, however, to be trapped on a ledge and unable to descend or climb a rope because putting on a bandage doesn't stabilize the injury enough to do so.  I refuse to accept that I would not be able to "bite down" and force myself into a run to get away from a predator even with a sprain.  I think bandaged sprains should allow normal activity.  If the player does anything beyond a walk, the pain should return and require another pain killer should the player wish to alleviate it rather than tolerate the pain effect on their screen.  Pain killer addiction risk should intensify the more painkillers are used.

Edited by UpUpAway95

If pain actually did something and you could die from taking too many pain meds that would be more interesting I think. Of course you would have to have pain meds just work otherwise new players will be taking pain meds without targeting an area, thinking it's not enough, then taking more and more until they die. I could see a lot of players quitting the game forever when that happens.

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2021 at 6:27 PM, Stinky socks said:

Friends and  neighbors. Here me out:

It is all too familiar phrase we hear when astrid(or william) use a remedy against 'wrong' illness.

To me, it sounds logical that when you gulp a set of painkillers or antibiotics, you shouldn't choose which illness to cure. Obviously, taking painkillers will get rid of the pain and antibiotics will treat poisoning.

Another point I'd like to make is, if Astrid(or william) know how to make bear dressing, they will surely know how and where and in which case to apply it. Another example, if you know how to brew up tea from reishi mushrooms, it is quite logical to think that you would know what it treats.

My proposal is to have the medicine pick automatic path to cure. If you are sick to the stomach and take antibiotics, there shouldn't be a list of choices for everything your hurting.

Just remember what the game is going for here- it is trying to represent the player wrongly applying first aid, which, in a survival situation, does happen. I agree with you that the game's way of implementing this is a bit clunky and illogical, but I think that whatever system replaces it needs to allow the player to mess up, to somehow botch the treatment due to a lack of medical understanding.