Favorite/Best Rabbit Snaring Spot?

hozz1235

I've come to the conclusion that snaring rabbits can be incredibly productive in just about any location that has rabbits in it by increasing the amount of snares deployed.  The bunny algorithm seems to be activated based on the number of snares being set and it likes to fill those snares between 2/3rds and 3/4 full most of the time.  I've tried all kinds of patterns, but always seemed to get fairly consistent numbers regardless of how I arranged them.  

Here's a pic of my most recent harvest, just so happens to be on Jackrabbit Island...  lol

55732343_jumpingjackrabbitsisland.thumb.png.1cd6fe17239a74faef9145ac56f40b2c.png

7 outta 8 snares successful.  When harvesting, I do make it a point to pick up each snare and resetting it nearby  even if it is only a few feet.  
So if you wanna max out your daily harvest, construct as many snares as you can or want to manage and fill up the area with traps.  Even if you only see a couple
of bunnies,  set out as many traps as possible as.  

14 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I've come to the conclusion that snaring rabbits can be incredibly productive in just about any location that has rabbits in it by increasing the amount of snares deployed.  The bunny algorithm seems to be activated based on the number of snares being set and it likes to fill those snares between 2/3rds and 3/4 full most of the time.  I've tried all kinds of patterns, but always seemed to get fairly consistent numbers regardless of how I arranged them.  

Here's a pic of my most recent harvest, just so happens to be on Jackrabbit Island...  lol

55732343_jumpingjackrabbitsisland.thumb.png.1cd6fe17239a74faef9145ac56f40b2c.png

7 outta 8 snares successful.  When harvesting, I do make it a point to pick up each snare and resetting it nearby  even if it is only a few feet.  
So if you wanna max out your daily harvest, construct as many snares as you can or want to manage and fill up the area with traps.  Even if you only see a couple
of bunnies,  set out as many traps as possible as.  

You get 7 per day?!

My favorite 3 spots are on a bit of a looping route from the Mystery Lake Camp office towards the Deadfall area and then on towards Trapper's Cabin (with the last traps set just behind the cabin itself).  Nice filler walk when waiting for the moose to spawn either at Trapper's or near the cabin or by the Unnamed Pond or when waiting for the bear to bleed out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

My favorite 3 spots are on a bit of a looping route from the Mystery Lake Camp office towards the Deadfall area and then on towards Trapper's Cabin (with the last traps set just behind the cabin itself).  Nice filler walk when waiting for the moose to spawn either at Trapper's or near the cabin or by the Unnamed Pond or when waiting for the bear to bleed out.

Same here!

7 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

You get 7 per day?!

yeah, sometimes more, sometimes less but usually it stays pretty consistent provided you deploy a high number of snares consistently.    Next time you find a bunny spot, saturate the area with snares upwards of 12 or more.  make a little grid and let "nature" do it's thing.  It might take a couple of days for the cycle to kick in, but after you start the algorithm ticking, the game will keep generating bunnies to fill those snares.  

9 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

yeah, sometimes more, sometimes less but usually it stays pretty consistent provided you deploy a high number of snares consistently.    Next time you find a bunny spot, saturate the area with snares upwards of 12 or more.  make a little grid and let "nature" do it's thing.  It might take a couple of days for the cycle to kick in, but after you start the algorithm ticking, the game will keep generating bunnies to fill those snares.  

This... is useful information. Thank you.

• Like 1

trappers cabin is the best imo if you intend to survive off rabbits alone.  put 10 on the hill behind the cabin and another 10 down in the grove by the bear.  easy 6-8 rabbits a day and its a very easy path back to clean and process them.  travelling with rabbit carcass is very risky.  they are heavy and quickly put the smell meter up to 3, pulling in wolves from pretty far away. 

that being said, it is very tiresome in the long run and not very productive in interloper to exist on rabbits.  takes too many calories to process and gather them, also doesnt have the CF killing benefit that ice fishing does.  i typically keep 10 snares in my fishing camp hut in CH and run them up the hill to the clearing near the bear spawn.  i run them for a couple days to get 6-10 rabbits, keeps my guts and pelts stocked up.  you can be generous with the repairs on your hat and mitts because they are so easily replenished, and for such a low cost.  guts repair the snares and create the fishing line for repairs.  all it costs is a few calories and the wear and tear on hooks 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stratvox said:

This... is useful information. Thank you.

I did a little docu series last spring you might find entertaining...

https://hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/36922-snaring-my-way-across-great-bear-island-just-how-many-rabbits-can-one-guy-eat/?do=findComment&comment=194638

I photo documented my time working on the Rabbit Snaring Achievement.   I spent the majority of my time in near Clear Cut on Mystery Lake.  An area known for wolves and a marauding bear, not necessarily for bunny harvesting.  

56 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Okay, I've my original post to shame.  Laid a trap line behind the Milton Church.  Got 3 the first day (meh), but the 2nd day...

screen_e102ea84-bff1-4b84-aa9c-8257837e063f_hi.thumb.png.1e04bc4123cf602c612569a628f090a9.png

I do have the Expert Trapper Feat active.

Damn, that is some good snaring there, indeed!
I would be curious if you doubled the snares to like 24 or more, 
what would you yield?  

btw, how many were ruined?  those are the ones that got away!🐰

2 hours ago, odizzido said:

That's a lot of frickin rabbits. You should eat them all in one day!

it will take most of the day just cleaning those little shits...  then the cooking...  by the time he eats them all, he's gonna go out again the next day and do it all over!