What do you take? What do you leave?

straffin

I'm just about to cross 100 days in a Stalker run and have probably spent half that time schlepping things from place to place because I'm a hoarder. That also means I haven't gone very far, having spent most of my time in Desolation Point (schlepping from Hybernia to Lighthouse to a cache outside the mine), Old Island Connector (to/from the basement), and Coastal Highway (to/from Waterfront Cottages, Quonset, Log Sort (maybe), and Fishing Camp). Then, I recently made my first foray through the Ravine (I LOVE THAT PLACE!) and on to Carter Dam and realized that I may not go back to Fishing Camp for as much as I thought, even though I have LOADS of materials, food, and water stored there.

So, what do YOU usually take with you from place to place (even if it means multiple trips) and what do you not even think about picking up again as you exit an area, likely to never return? I'm starting to understand that water is a leave-behind item. It'll be nice to have it there if I ever go back and I tend to never "waste" a fire for just heat/light...I'm always boiling snow.

However, I actually had to forge an Improvised Hatchet in DP this run because there was no regular hatchet to be found anywhere in DP/OIC/CH. Hacksaws, but NO Hatchets. I found one almost immediately in the Ravine and another near Carter Dam and now there's no way I'm leaving EITHER of those behind when it's time to head to the Camp Office or Pleasant Valley. Same goes for most other tools. And matches. And Sewing Kits. And Whetstones. And...

What do you pack for the trip and what do you allow (expect?) the land to provide (or are okay with only having one with no backup)?

• Few bandages, painkillers, antiseptic bottle, antibiotics. (Because pills go bad first, so I use them. After that it's all natural remedies). Stimulator(just in case Astrid needs).

• matches, torches(or lantern if I have plenty of fuel)

• (fix up my clothes). Take bedroll.

• long unknown trips, I take rifle and bullets. Closer trip I take revolver only. No bow, because I'm not good(fast) enough with it yet.

• Knife for sure!! Food obviously and maybe half a gallon of water. Also one tin can. 

• Prybar

All these will depend on how far and what I am going after. Also, if I'm going to my satellite base, I dont take certain things because I have already some stuff there. I made a bear bedroll and it's been fantastic investment because you never know where you may get stuck. Bear roll was super warm and I didn't even do fire(but slept in 4 hour increments just in case). I know it is heavier, but much safer if you get stranded and exhausted.

If you are a hoarder(me too), definitely go for technical backpack in ash canyon. Route to the left of the map is probably safest in my opinion, and shortest, but you have to do some heavy climbing(rope). Energu drink or coffee. Definitely take stimulator just in case. Matches for sure and lamp or lantern. You'll get wet in goldmine and need to dry up and need light.nvm, I see you have it already.

Also, moose satchel is super! I have both!:)

Edited by Stinky socks
  • Upvote 1

On my long term Stalker world, before any trip I make sure I have:

Fire starting: ~10 matches, mag glass, 0-2 sticks, 2 coals
Medical: 2 bandages, 6 lichens, 4 painkillers
Clothes: Besides what I'm wearing, an extra wool ear wrap to swap with satchel for a slight temp boost. Crampons
Food and drinks: ~1L water or 3-4 teas. 1-2 coffees. ~600 cals emergency food
Tools: Bedroll, knife, 1 flare (for emergency only. I almost never use them), 1-2 recycled cans, 1-3 torches, bow with 2-3 arrows, distress pistol or revolver. 

That's my minimalist setup. Stuff like lantern, prybar, hatchet, birch tea, research book, fishing hook etc all depend on if I know I'm going to need or use them. And I might pack more stuff based on the duration of a trip, potential risks, or exploring a region for the first time.

• Upvote 1

So, great answers with great advice, but I'm coming more from a standpoint of leaving behind an area (forever?) in search of your long-term home base. On Stalker, do you trust that there will be a <insert important item here> in the next region, or do you never leave not-my-home-yet without it?

(On Voyager, I found that nearly every region was a collection of mini-marts carrying all of the essentials. Wonder if you could do a long-term nudist/empty-handed Voyager run?)

If you plan to leave current region forever, it is still likely you'll at some point come back. But if you plan to leave for long time, take most of the stuff you can carry to establish new base and once settled in, do a few shuttle runs and move rest of the supplies. I've done it a handful of times. 

Problem is, when you initially move to new region, you never know what will/will not be there.

• Upvote 2

Things I take vs leave behind really depends on what all I've found, and whether I have to climb to another region.

But I have a mental hierarchy of items if I were moving to another region to settle somewhat permanently.

Low or zero priority: metal, water, extra clothes, fir and cedar firewood, extra hatchets, extra lanterns, guts, most hides, can opener, torches

Medium priority: Cloth, leather, coal, meat, rose hips, mushrooms, antiseptic, painkillers, extra knives, sewing kit, hacksaw, hammer

High priority: stims, mag lens, matches, firestarters, coffee, herbal tea, birch bark, non-meat foods (especially MRE, crackers, energy bars), saplings, kerosene, whetstones, 1 prybar, 1 hatchet, 1 knife, 1 bedroll, all fish tackles, flares

I'm probably missing some stuff but that's the jist of it

• Upvote 2

I play stalker and occasionally voyager for exploring regions I’ve not yet been to.

First aid: bandages, antiseptic, painkillers, stim, antibiotics. I like painkillers over hip tea cause they are lighter and will use lich beard if out of antiseptic. 

tools: knife, axe, bow w/ 3 arrows, 1 flare, 2 torch, 2 fishing gear, 1 or 2 cans.

fire: matches and striker rod or mag glass, 2 sticks, 2 reclaim wood or 2 coal if possible, and cat tail heads. 

food:  about 1000 calories, cat tail stalks, 1 liter of water or half liter with tea/coffee. 

misc: 5 to 10 cloth (for snow shelters and repairs if needed) and maybe 2 leather. Moose satchel if I’ve made it. 

clothing depends on what I found/made. 

If I’m traveling to areas with little to no man made shelters (like HRV) I’ll take the rifle and or revolver if I got them. The only times I carry the hammer or saw is when I’m ferrying  them to a forge. Items like whetstone and sewing kit I keep at whatever regional base I’m using. Lantern and bedroll are also items I keep at a regional base and usually only take with me if I’m in regions without man made shelters or just traveling to new regions. 

7 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

I saw you somewhere talking about crampons and figured you already went to Ash and have both.😁

Ah! Nope... not yet. Just a nerd who loves to both play and read about the game. I had read about the crampons in the release notes and on the Fandom wiki, but do not yet own a pair. Hope to soon, tho. 

• Like 1

I play interloper so I generally stay in one region for quite some time once I have forged but when it's time to move I take-->

• All fire starting items (matches, mag lens, fire striker)
  • All teas, coffee  (I usually carry a couple in cups and the rest in dry form)
  • Lantern , improvised knife, hacksaw, (if I have the improvised hatchet)
  • Fishing tackles, sewing kit, 2 bows , arrows and at least 20 arrow stalks
  • Depending on the region I'm going to I will bring cloth / scrap metal (but these items I will forward to a location so I can return to get them)
  • Prybar (for looting locked trucks/ lockers) 
  • Coal (2 pieces or more)

I usually make sure I'm a bit underweight when I leave then if I need to go back for anything I will have those items forwarded before hand. 

• Upvote 1

I would recommend to tweak your play style to become a bit more "interloper-ish". Meaning you keep moving. In interloper this is essential as food always runs out faster than it re-spawns sooner or later. I pick a base on every map and carry the essentials with me. Since I am moving around constantly, I can leave things behind. I will come back to pick them up if I need them then. Also keep a journal of the most important items where they are.

• 2 weeks later...

For me I have only been playing a few weeks and have spent most of my time in Coastal Highway but when I intend to leave I will take food, water, fire making gear, light sources, the revolver, try to craft whatever I can and leave the rest of the supplies for crafting, which will be painful but this stuff will be findable elsewhere.  Ill take the most valuable clothes, leave anything else. Probably forgetting something stupidly obvious to bring but this is what comes to mind.

Always-on list for me:

Bedroll

Mag lens

1 match box

3-x coal

x stick

3 bandages

2 emergency stims

X amount of warming up buffs (always at least some variety of prepared reishi and rose hip)

2 prepared old mans beard

2 cans

2-3 liters of water

Distress pistol with x shells

Bow with 5-6 arrows

Improvised knife

Improvised hatchet

1 sewing kit and/or fishing tackle

1 whetstone

1-3 stones

3-x torches

Lantern with 0,5-1l fuel in it

X cloth

Crampons (rotate it with one ear wrap depending on the given situation - the other accessory slot is for the satchel)

Edited by Mistral