Throwing sticks down before climbing down a rope.

Ahatch

You know that feeling you get to a rope and here you picked a whole bunch of sticks but you are encumbered. But you are climbing down so wouldn't it be nice if you could just throw all the sticks you just picked down the mountain and pick them back up after you climb down. :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

I have dropped things from near the top of a rope and had them go over the cliff and found them at the bottom.. I've also fallen trying to do that.  It's risky because you have to back up right to the edge.  The stuff you drop can also get caught by ledges and, worse, other protruding rocks... making it irretrievable.  I'd like an option to be able to throw anything, not just torches and stones; but I doubt Hinterland will make things that easy.

• Upvote 2

I do resonate with the original post... Many non-breakable items could be throwable (e.g.: sticks, lumber, coal, hatchet). Although it would bring an unwanted complexity for game-dev with "what if I want to throw it at fauna?" modelling its flight, impact, etc. so could get tricky I'm afraid...

I like Sherlock Holmes 18's idea (According to google "Maybe it could be a basket.")

It could be an item found ready, or could be vouwen from cane (having to sacrifice some cattail stalks?) or simply stitched from hides and large number of guts (for its own "rope").

My current workaround for the original problem when I'm carrying a bigger loot from an outside area to more frequently visited bases is 
1) either looking for a less steep area nearby, where I can climb down the rocks with relatively minor injuries (crouching and taking one step a time helps a bit I think). For many, but not all rope-climbs there is such a one-way alternative nearby.
2) or, with the crampons and some coffee it is possible to climb up and down twice (especially in the morning). Also, not maxing out the carrying capacity during rope-climb makes a great difference in exhaustion.

Edited by AdamvR
adjusted structure and wording

I think the better solution, is for the player to simply pay more attention to their inventory management and strategic planning.  That way, all the player needs to do is not have so much in their inventory that they can't climb ropes. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I just do not think a developer needs to change the game to "fix" player behavior/choices, or to accommodate players that seemingly don't want to not have to abide by the parameters set by the game... 

I think that players probably just shouldn't run around encumbered if they know they are looking to use a climbing rope.

Edited by ManicManiac