Nerf technical backpack

Vaino420

In my opinion, the technical backpack is currently too strong. Or better said, being able to carry 45 kg is too much.

30 kg is a nice challenge in the early game, 35 kg with well fed is perfectly balanced for the mid game and then in the late game, when your clothes already weigh you down you can finally upgrade to 40 kg with the moose hide satchel, which is a nice bonus for the challenging late game. But 45 kilograms? Not only is it too much and makes inventory management too easy, I would even call it a bit unrealistic.

So, I have 2 possible solutions for this.

1) Nerf the technical backpack to only give you 2.5 kg of extra capacity, and make players unable to wear the technical backpack and moose hide satchel at the same time. This way, you can still go and get the technical backpack and be rewarded for it, but eventually if you want to maximize your capacity you'll have to kill a moose.

2) Nerf both the technical backpack and the moose hide satchel to only give you 2.5 kg of extra capacity. This way you still would need to get both of them to maximize your capacity, but your capacity wouldn't exceed 40 kg.

Also, if it was nerfed I think there should maybe be at least a few other possible spawns for it. I'm not saying it should be able to be found everywhere, but maybe it could sometimes be found in some other hard to reach places?

Personally I just won't pick up the technical backpack because it makes the game too easy for me, but maybe some of you disagree with me? Or maybe someone has better ideas for balancing the technical backpack. Leave your opinion down below.

18 minutes ago, Vaino420 said:

In my opinion, the technical backpack is currently too strong. Or better said, being able to carry 45 kg is too much.

30 kg is a nice challenge in the early game, 35 kg with well fed is perfectly balanced for the mid game and then in the late game, when your clothes already weigh you down you can finally upgrade to 40 kg with the moose hide satchel, which is a nice bonus for the challenging late game. But 45 kilograms? Not only is it too much and makes inventory management too easy, I would even call it a bit unrealistic.

1) Nerf the technical backpack to only give you 2.5 kg of extra capacity, and make players unable to wear the technical backpack and moose hide satchel at the same time. This way, you can still go and get the technical backpack and be rewarded for it, but eventually if you want to maximize your capacity you'll have to kill a moose.

2) Nerf both the technical backpack and the moose hide satchel to only give you 2.5 kg of extra capacity. This way you still would need to get both of them to maximize your capacity, but your capacity wouldn't exceed 40 kg.

Also, if it was nerfed I think there should maybe be at least a few other possible spawns for it. I'm not saying it should be able to be found everywhere, but maybe it could sometimes be found in some other hard to reach places?

Personally I just won't pick up the technical backpack because it makes the game too easy for me, but maybe some of you disagree with me? Or maybe someone has better ideas for balancing the technical backpack. Leave your opinion down below.

I personally like it 5kg isn't that much in the grand scheme of things and it makes the backpack feel like a valuable reward for the difficulties in acquiring it I feel if they nerf it I wouldn't be motivated to get it. Ash Canyon is very difficult and to risk a long running run for only 2.5kg wouldn't be worth. It spawning in a different region would also take away incentive to visit ash canyon. 

Edited by LoneWolf5841
  • Upvote 2

All the weights in this game are unrealistic. I wouldn't be too concerned about seeing 45kg because it's not actually 45kg, it's probably closer to 21-22kg. Everything else is double or more the weight of what it should be.

Of course saying it makes inventory management too easy is valid. I haven't tried the update though so I can't comment on that too much. Mostly what I wanted to say is that if you're looking at realism you need to keep in mind that all weights in this game are double anyways.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

All the weights in this game are unrealistic. I wouldn't be too concerned about seeing 45kg because it's not actually 45kg, it's probably closer to 21-22kg. Everything else is double or more the weight of what it should be.

The weights in game are not unrealistic irl an average person who is in decent shape can easily carry 45kg our survivor would be in fairly decent shape considering all that walking. Items weights seem pretty accurate I obviously haven't looked at everything in game but 1L of water in game vweighs 1kg, just like in real life. If anything is off I'm sure it not by much. 

I think it's OK given all the extra "gadgets" people keep asking to be added into the game.  No point in having all that stuff if it's basically impossible for anyone to carry any of it from one place to another without making several return trips... lets see, lantern, whetstone, revolver, paint can, rifle cleaning kit, sewing kit, cloth, ammunition, flares, marine flares, flashlight, coal, sticks, matches, magnifying glass, hatchet, hacksaw, heavy hammer, lead, casings, gunpowder, bow, arrows, snare... goggles (for snowblindness injury), compass, thermos, etc.

To be honest, I think it is quite OP though. Even without Well Fed, I never had any weight issues on Interloper (except that one time in my run when I got stomped by a moose twice). Now with the backpack and the moose satchel, I can carry up to 40kg so all the more reason for me to not get Well Fed - I don't even need 45kg when I'm only carrying below 30 on everyday basis.

Not that I'm complaining, though :)

15 minutes ago, gotmilkanot said:

To be honest, I think it is quite OP though. Even without Well Fed, I never had any weight issues on Interloper (except that one time in my run when I got stomped by a moose twice). Now with the backpack and the moose satchel, I can carry up to 40kg so all the more reason for me to not get Well Fed - I don't even need 45kg when I'm only carrying below 30 on everyday basis.

Not that I'm complaining, though :)

I always play stingily so I absolutely hate leaving anything behind, I have that "it may come in useful while I'm exploring" mentality so I'm always carrying simple or quality tools, a hatchets, knife, heavy hammer, hacksaw, etc whilst going exploring or on a loot run. It's especially bad with food, I occasionally may leave tools behind during a loot run but I've never leave food even though 2 to 3 day's of food would be good I generally always have well over a weeks worth of food like well above 20kg of food alone so obviously I struggle with carrying capacity,  the backpack is a more of a blessing in disguise for me now only if I could move faster to get to it hmm. 😂

Edited by LoneWolf5841
Spelling fixes

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

I always play stingily so I absolutely hate leaving anything behind, I have that "it may come in useful while I'm exploring" mentality so I'm always carrying simple or quality tools, a hatchets, knive, heavy hammer, hacksaw, etc whilst going exploring it on a loot run. It's especially bad with food I occasionally may leave tool behind during a loot run but I've never liked leaving food even though 2 to 3 day's of food would be good I generally have well over a weeks worth of food, well above 20kg of food alone so obviously I struggle with carrying capacity so the backpack is a blessing in disguise now only if I could move faster to get there hmm. 😂

Yeah, it is a nice addition to the game regardless. Those who like to carry more can now do so even more - I've seen some famous streamers carrying so much crap they don't need that they're still encumbered even with 45kg capacity (no hating though, they're still great streamers). Makes me wonder if Hinterland aims to continue adding even more items/features with carrying bonus in the future :)

On 12/21/2020 at 8:07 PM, LoneWolf5841 said:

The weights in game are not unrealistic irl an average person who is in decent shape can easily carry 45kg our survivor would be in fairly decent shape considering all that walking. Items weights seem pretty accurate I obviously haven't looked at everything in game but 1L of water in game vweighs 1kg, just like in real life. If anything is off I'm sure it not by much. 

You're right about the water, it's the right weight. And you're also right that I could carry 45kg and walk around. However carrying 45kg up a steep slope is hard work, I tried carrying a backpack full of weights up a mountain just to see.

I made a post looking at a few weights in the game, if you're interested in some minor research you can check it out. I think the water is the only thing in this game that isn't way off.

https://hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/37990-more-realistic-carry-weight-and-item-weights/?tab=comments#comment-202478

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

I made a post looking at a few weights in the game, if you're interested in some minor research you can check it out. I think the water is the only thing in this game that isn't way off.

https://hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/37990-more-realistic-carry-weight-and-item-weights/?tab=comments#comment-202478

Thanks I see I just looked at the most easily comparable thing I could think of and the first thing that popped in my head was water everyone handles water. I probably should've done more research before straight up saying the weights are realistic I stand by corrected some weights are a bit off than what they would be irl

I just read what I wrote and I just want to clarify in saying that I did some minor research, I didn't wish to say in some aggressive way that you could do some minor research. I see that it could be interpreted in both ways.

But yeah. If you have a little kitchen scale you can see how off clothing weight is too. I tried a few pairs of socks and a big warm hat I have since those are what fit on it.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 1:47 AM, Vaino420 said:

how can i downvote this, its balanced enough. this guy clearly never been to ash canyon

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, dmp717200 said:

I got the technical backpack and for a while had the extra carrying capacity, but now have gone back down to 35kg and can't figure out why. Did I somehow un-equip it by accident? How would I have done that? How can I get it back?

Your max carry weight will go down from 45 kg to 35 kg even though you still have the backpack if: 1) You've lost the Well-fed bonus (5 kg) and 2) You've unequipped the moose hide satchel (or it has become ruined) (5 kg).  It will also go down whenever you're tired (0.3 kg for every percentage point you're more than 50% fatigued) to a low of 15kg when exhausted.  If you're carry weight is low because you're fatigued, you will regain your carry weight capacity once you've slept.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 5:47 PM, Vaino420 said:

I don’t think it needs to be nerfed it’s quite a journey to get 

20 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Your max carry weight will go down from 45 kg to 35 kg even though you still have the backpack if: 1) You've lost the Well-fed bonus (5 kg) and 2) You've unequipped the moose hide satchel (or it has become ruined) (5 kg).  It will also go down whenever you're tired (0.3 kg for every percentage point you're more than 50% fatigued) to a low of 15kg when exhausted.  If you're carry weight is low because you're fatigued, you will regain your carry weight capacity once you've slept.

I think it was the well-fed bonus because now I'm back up to 40. Don't have the moose satchell. Just the technical backpack from the gold mine in Ash Canyon.