The Library Challenge

Screenshot Pilgrim

This can be a screenshot challenge or just to play your own story, but the idea is to gather all the books (and newspapers if you've a mind to) on Great Bear to some appropriate location for safe keeping.  I started a Voyager guy in Pleasant Valley and thought the Farmhouse would make a good library.  The first book I found was 'A Sewing Primer' at the Rural Store.  
1738562988_SewingPrimer(2).thumb.png.d11b2eb5bf7328a40f763b91021bc208.png1717573542_SouthernBridge.thumb.png.38edf4bacb6550cc9d84f6e6eaaf3276.png
Man, I thought Voyager temps were pretty forgiving, but it's really cold here.  Oh, burning books is forbidden, no matter how desperate you are for warmth.

Choose whatever difficulty you like and wherever you think would make a good library.  Choose the Farmhouse, or maybe there are better places.  I don't think I've ever used it as a main base for the whole island before, so for me it should be interesting.  Some locations will be more challenging than others, and it's bound to take a while, so feel free to post partial completion shots, stories, or anything else from your old school archivist adventures.

• Like 1

Hey @Screenshot Pilgrim
I like this idea so much that I hope Hinterland picks up on the idea and maybe creates an "event" outta the whole concept!

Being a little bit of a history buff, I just wanted to share a little Library trivia with you,  did you know that  in the late 1950's Canada and the USA teamed up and formed the National Library Associations and eventually started a National Library Week to stimulate people to read more and become aware of the extensive knowledge base available to them for free!  During the outset of the program, it was decided to hold the event in April of each year although that changed over time.  From what I understand, Canada's program was a lot more successful and subsequently went to a month long promotion many years ago which are typically being held each October.  The USA however hasn't changed much...  still in April and still only for 1 week.     

I like @odium idea about skill book only and I like your idea for that title, too.   

screen_abde316f-e45f-4982-99e3-c9aa69306788_hi.thumb.png.139a12ae514d32bc39952e75326e6e5d.png

dug this one outta the archives for you...

part of this is my sleeping bag hoarder run...  another possible challenge/quest idea for if you're really bored in the sandbox.
but I think I got every copy of Wilderness Kitchen, Stay on Target, The Sewing Primer and Survive the Outdoors every printed!

screen_83f042d0-ea39-4540-9a3c-cbd7afa468f2_hi.thumb.png.ffdee48bf8a851190fcea1d64095f47a.png

only found the one copy of Guns, Guns & Guns and I do believe there are always two copies spawned in each game so this collection isn't even done 
and now never will be.  

So I say onwards with screen shots of the quest for knowledge!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Thanks for sharing the sentiment @piddy3825, and for the library history!  I consider myself to be at least a little bit over the hill, and can remember being taught about the importance of libraries as a boy.  These days, I carry something of them around in my pocket, in the form of audiobooks on my phone, which are great in so many ways.  Easier on the eyes for one. 😉

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has enjoyed your wonderfully elaborate screenshots here on the forums, and should say you're partially responsible for the idea:
screen_af95d5eb-4dc1-4170-8083-fe763329ae0e_hi.thumb.png.aa7b7b176fcfd8167b01db4d12a351dd.png
..listening to the increasing frenzy of the blowing wind whistling thru the old house,
I'm thankful the old owner never threw away all those old Encyclopedia Britanica's...
----screenshot with caption by piddy3825

[wasn't sure how to quote from other threads, so just copied it ]

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@Screenshot Pilgrim thank you for the kind words.  I'm looking forward to seeing some creative displays if a few more survivors get into the quest!
I was just wondering however if the more difficult levels of gameplay would decrease the amount of other books and newspapers in the world like it does
with food items, etc?  Or is the same amount present since they are non-decay items?

• Upvote 1

One thing I have noticed has to do with book covers, which will affect the look of screenshots. 
There are these guys:
178997526_bookcovers1(2).thumb.png.d630e2928713932acf1d4734b47be6a3.png
There's one with a mountain, a ship, an axe, a cabin, and the fish..   When you put one into inventory and then drop it later, it looks the same.  If you put two into inventory, then drop them, one turns into the most common cover with the sunny landscape.  When I tried three and then dropped em, they all went to the sunny landscape cover.   I've only just experimented with this a little bit, but it might be something to consider if setting up a shot with the intention of having a wide variety of covers showing. 

Edited by Screenshot Pilgrim

1 hour ago, Screenshot Pilgrim said:

There's one with a mountain, a ship, an axe, a cabin, and the fish..   When you put one into inventory and then drop it later, it looks the same.  If you put two into inventory, then drop them, one turns into the most common cover with the sunny landscape.  When I tried three and then dropped em, they all went to the sunny landscape cover.   I've only just experimented with this a little bit, but it might be something to consider if setting up a shot with the intention of having a wide variety of covers showing. 

so if I understand you correctly, if I pick up a single book and drop it later, the cover stays the same as when I found it.  So if I find a book with a fish cover and when I drop it the book still has a fish cover, correct?  But if you pick up more than one book, the covers change typically to the the sunny landscape.  hmmm, yeah that does pose a dilemma if you're going to be transporting literally dozens of books to a central location.  Especially if as you mentioned, you'd want to keep their original covers intact for the purposes of showcasing your collection. 

Since you pointed it out, I'd like to mention there are also those books that kinda look like technical books, got those colored squares all over them. Reminds me of my old math and science text books.   Found a few in the dam the other day and the covers seemed appropriate to what you'd expect in a technical/industrial setting like at Carter Hydro.  I was also musing that when you find "stacks of paper" those seem to remind me of legal documents and such as compared to the newsprint and the rolled up newspapers.

• Upvote 1

Just now, piddy3825 said:

Since you pointed it out, I'd like to mention there are also those books that kinda look like technical books, got those colored squares all over them. Reminds me of my old math and science text books.   Found a few in the dam the other day and the covers seemed appropriate to what you'd expect in a technical/industrial setting like at Carter Hydro.  I was also musing that when you find "stacks of paper" those seem to remind me of legal documents and such as compared to the newsprint and the rolled up newspapers.

Right.  Those books look great, and are even a bit thicker maybe?   o.O    
Anyway yeah, I think we're looking at some real numbers on the pedometer here if you want them ALL to be as they appear.  At least one of each kind gives you something to work with, and the numbers are going to be impressive in whatever form I think.  Imagine all of them laid out on the ice somewhere.   
I'm already putting stacks of paper into file cabinets.  Seems like the right place.

I replicated the test from above and it's the same.  One book at a time will retain cover art.  If you carry two, one will turn into a sunny-cover.  Three or more and they're all sunny, so load up all you want.  I did the test in CH with the books from the tiny cabins below the Abandoned Lookout.  Lucky for me there was the second rope needed to climb back up plus some other nice stuff.  There was even one of those technical manuals down there.  It stands on end, so that should look good on a shelf.  
1708585663_Lookout1.thumb.png.9114ef78c00c2771781b16181aba51f6.png368638799_Bookcovers1.thumb.png.a3bfc29ff3bd67bf1cdf1050761382c2.png
A lot of climbing and resting and coffee during all hours.  Shot the Lookout deer for some meat, and of course it had to die on a cliff, but I found it.
518045600_Lookoutdeer.thumb.png.699d6622036ce40132b255e59576fda2.png347411790_Axebook1.thumb.png.fdcc19965374d699f61320979c327c6f.png
I got one 'Hatchet Handbook' back to the Library to confirm the cover art will cross regional boundaries.  It was the only book I had with me from the Lookout.  I'll need to start fishing up some lamp oil, so will do it on the coast and grab books on return trips. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

at Carter Hydro

So even though I made a joke about not cramming books into lockers at the Dam in the screenshots thread,  Carter Hydro would actually be a legitimate place for a library.  It's a big impressive building with tons of space inside.  Not the coziest, but it's central location would cut down on numerous long trips.

Also, if anyone were to simply get all the books and papers to the Dam or anywhere else, and store them in containers (not concerned with cover art), then:
📚 Library Challenge completed.  🏛️✔️     ...and likely 'Straight to the Heart' feat badge + maybe some others

The Library
1114087442_TheLibrary.thumb.png.0bdebad4726af4de71a00efeb60233e3.png

Needs some TLC but it'll do.  I didn't get a picture, but in the orchard to right in the background I spotted four wolves prowling.  They were far away, but were moving together.  A bear is often near the front of the house, and I always pause to listen when leaving from any of the four exits. 

I say extra points for the most open books adorning "the Library."

Not sure if putting these together with other books changes them, probably does, so that's a lot of extra walking too if that's the case.
Nothing better for a library than to have a reading room, eh?

screen_d86b58d7-eb4c-4656-8d78-39f62cffd15b_hi.thumb.png.be029566f9cac4dd6f59798760637704.png

13 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Nothing better for a library than to have a reading room, eh?

Indeed!  The open books were something I was wondering about, but as you say, it's likely the same as cover art.  

I put in some hours over the weekend, getting started in Thomson's Crossing, where I first noticed the cover art change by botching all the church book covers 😐   er...  I'll get it right at the Milton church.. 🙂 Then I moved on to Coastal Highway and, after the testing at Abandoned Lookout, made several trips back with a book plus other gear each time - mostly things I'll need for future walks (dry foods, meds, matches, whetstones, etc).  I intend to break up the monotony by doing some scouting in other regions between grindy book runs.  I'm already getting pretty curious about what'll be up in Hushed River Valley.  Not many books I suppose, but maybe skill books.

2 hours ago, Screenshot Pilgrim said:

I'm already getting pretty curious about what'll be up in Hushed River Valley.  Not many books I suppose, but maybe skill books.

yeah, I'm reluctant as well, but I do believe I found a couple of skill books scattered about.  I think in one of the ice tunnels there's a open cavern with one in it.  I think I might found one once by the moose satchel as well.  Still that region just constantly kicks my ass...  

btw is it possible there are more than 2 Guns, Guns, Guns books?

2 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

dude, nice work but this thread is about collecting books... you should take this to share your screenshots...  

Yes. I wandered a bit in Bleak Inlet to haul back the rest of the stuff, and I got greedy and killed by wolves. I had all the books nicely stacked on the countern and 2 other shelves in the shop room. Too bad I didnt screen hot that one.

Im on a new run and in the not too distant future, we will have a new library in the shop

2 minutes ago, Master_Arne said:

Yes. I wandered a bit in Bleak Inlet to haul back the rest of the stuff, and I got greedy and killed by wolves. I had all the books nicely stacked on the countern and 2 other shelves in the shop room. Too bad I didnt screen hot that one.

Im on a new run and in the not too distant future, we will have a new library in the shop

yeah, i get that, but these screenshots have absolutely no relevance to the thread.  You didn't even make any commentary.  why spam the page with this irrelevant clutter?

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

yeah, I'm reluctant as well, but I do believe I found a couple of skill books scattered about.  I think in one of the ice tunnels there's a open cavern with one in it.  I think I might found one once by the moose satchel as well.  Still that region just constantly kicks my ass... 

The moose satchel makes it a worthwhile trip at any time.  I like it there, and I'm on Voyager, so a cautious approach should do it.  Also, it's a place to go for a longer stay, which will be a nice alternative to constant travelling back and forth.

@Master_Arne  Your Quonset Garage supply station would be great for the intrepid book hunter, but I have to agree with @piddy3825,  8 pictures of it (5 of them almost identical) are a bit much.  Also, if you don't already know this, you can shrink down screenshots by double clicking them and changing the width from 1000 to 500 and keeping the aspect ratio box checked. 
129669805_Mineskillbook.thumb.png.7d3d2c76897f485122ff632a1e8d4ed7.png
Neat, huh?  🙂
Anyway, thanks for participating.  A Bleak Inlet library is a daring choice if you're going for all the books on Great Bear.  

@Screenshot Pilgrim just wanted to confirm open books must travel independently.  ouch,   I lost three in the process experimenting.  
I added 1 open to 1 hatchet cover and they both turned into the sunny book.  I put two open books together and same thing happened.
It would be nice to have the variety, but I'm not expecting anyone to put that kinda effort in to it, if you know what I mean.

I've been having a lotta fun in the sandbox chasing books the past few days, I just wish I could bash a wolf or two with a book and make it hurt...

• Like 1