The Library Challenge

Screenshot Pilgrim

@piddy3825 So, that's actually slightly worse than the cover art problem.  Well, it's a challenge that anyone can choose how to pursue in their own way.  As for me, since I was already thinking of it as a long term project, I'll keep going to preserve the books as they appear.  Of course, I'll be getting murdered by the Darkwalker with everybody else in a few days, so that'll be a change of pace, in addition to being an epic bloodbath.  😄   or.. what's the proper word for a mountain of frozen fog corpses?

Edited by Screenshot Pilgrim
  • Like 1

Welcome to Books on Tracks

Terrence Tremblay, the transit tram technician, twin to Tom Tuttle of Tacoma originally came up with the idea.
The owner of Great Bear Rail quickly agreed and so the Books on Tracks project was launched.  

Besides running VIP's and workers from one place to another, the tram also served as a vital resource to the rural communities and work camps around the island.
Books, newspapers, periodicals along with other reading materials and supplies now made available to those even in some of the most remote areas and the 
project was considered a big success.  

screen_b0bee8e5-dee8-423d-9c6e-79bf609fe0b1_hi.thumb.png.c5aa5bf4f11a318775d99f02213d54a1.png

stopped cold in it's tracks when the event struck, the Books on Tracks project became forever stalled.   A good effort on their part and a worthy plan.

screen_124fca12-e37d-46fb-9436-3b23eac4552e_hi.thumb.png.6275ea6b33eda99d066f3bda10ecf1f3.png

preserved in time as the day it was abandoned.  A nice little assortment to stumble across, snacks too!

screen_1fa499aa-a4c9-485c-ad54-ea870043ca7e_hi.thumb.png.59806ae2b23ad3f62d4b37642d6501b5.png

dont you just hate it when somebody just dumps all the newspapers on the floor?  lazy clerks...  so did they just bring half the encyclopedia's?   
Looking forward to doing some lite reading by the red glow of a safety flare...

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Welcome to Books on Tracks

Terrence Tremblay, the transit tram technician, twin to Tom Tuttle of Tacoma originally came up with the idea.
The owner of Great Bear Rail quickly agreed and so the Books on Tracks project was launched.  

Besides running VIP's and workers from one place to another, the tram also served as a vital resource to the rural communities and work camps around the island.
Books, newspapers, periodicals along with other reading materials and supplies now made available to those even in some of the most remote areas and the 
project was considered a big success.  

screen_b0bee8e5-dee8-423d-9c6e-79bf609fe0b1_hi.thumb.png.c5aa5bf4f11a318775d99f02213d54a1.png

stopped cold in it's tracks when the event struck, the Books on Tracks project became forever stalled.   A good effort on their part and a worthy plan.

screen_124fca12-e37d-46fb-9436-3b23eac4552e_hi.thumb.png.6275ea6b33eda99d066f3bda10ecf1f3.png

preserved in time as the day it was abandoned.  A nice little assortment to stumble across, snacks too!

screen_1fa499aa-a4c9-485c-ad54-ea870043ca7e_hi.thumb.png.59806ae2b23ad3f62d4b37642d6501b5.png

dont you just hate it when somebody just dumps all the newspapers on the floor?  lazy clerks...  so did they just bring half the encyclopedia's?   
Looking forward to doing some lite reading by the red glow of a safety flare...

That kinda reminds me of a program that was in my elementary school where they brought a van that had a little library in it and the students could take books from there and keep them.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PurpleWolf13 said:

That kinda reminds me of a program that was in my elementary school where they brought a van that had a little library in it and the students could take books from there and keep them.

Yeah, when I was little we lived out in rural Kansas  in what could have been considered a one horse town.   We had a general store, with one gas pump and a PO Box where we could collect our mail.   We were easily an hour from the nearest anything and the Book Mobile, an old converted bread truck, would come every two weeks and the folks would come from miles around to check out books.  Got my first paper library card when I was 6 and started 1st grade.  I remember checking out Treasure Island and reading that book cover to cover more than once.  

• Like 2

@Screenshot Pilgrim

I now know why you've decided to use the farmhouse in PV to house your library.
It all started making sense as when I popped over from CH and started looting Thompson's Crossing.
Heck the first house alone across the street from the town hall had 1 of every cover laying about in addition to a couple of open books as well.

Wasn't until I decided to ransack the church, that I finally had the epiphany and the realization struck me that it would be so much less walking
involved if you could just stay on the map.  Why bother crossing regions one book at a time in order to make a collection when it's already basically sitting 
in one house.  Brilliant!

Here's me praying for guidance

screen_48dd5383-a21e-4a09-92f6-a3ce65c01bff_hi.thumb.png.7e6b759785da0774ce0fe82959a5f79b.png

Now I'm preaching to the choir;
(in my best Hans and Franz voice...)  

"Hear me know and Believe me later!
I am here to pump you up!"

screen_286a7bad-0095-483e-a7e9-1eddb00c4a78_hi.thumb.png.2897dee679f7a6b26b19c11368e19ed9.png

For those of you who'd like to follow today's sermon,
you'll find a hymnal in the seat back in front of you...

screen_f838cd0d-cf55-4ee7-9312-9e0d997ca725_hi.thumb.png.c95cb0ad81431fb9a68fdeb2727bb505.png

I just keep hearing Kansas singing in the background
🎶 "Carry on, my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest" 🎶

Edited by piddy3825
spelling
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Wasn't until I decided to ransack the church, that I finally had the epiphany and the realization struck me that it would be so much less walking
involved if you could just stay on the map.  Why bother crossing regions one book at a time in order to make a collection when it's already basically sitting 
in one house.  Brilliant!

A separate library for each region is something that would be a way to start getting some overall numbers too. 

@Screenshot Pilgrim regional branches of the library is a good idea.  I kinda do that already anyway, but not deliberately if you know what I mean.  Keeping the cover art intact is probably the most perplexing and frustrating aspect of this endeavor so keeping the single book transit limited to the region in which it's discovered makes perfect sense.  Even doing that is still a serious amount of walking time in this quest, that's for sure!  So glad that the newspapers and stacks can be carried in bulk.  Somehow that cheapens their value in my mind so I'll probably just be dropping them in piles or stuffing them in the file cabinets.  If there was still power, I'd be transferring them all to microfiche...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Keeping the cover art intact is probably the most perplexing and frustrating aspect of this endeavor so keeping the single book transit limited to the region in which it's discovered makes perfect sense.  Even doing that is still a serious amount of walking time in this quest, that's for sure!

How it appears to exist at the moment though, gives the larger quest a bizarre weight because it's WAY more walking.  It would be way more even if the cover art dilemma didn't exist, but it does, sooo....?    IF you want the entire collection, or as much of it as you can find, intact for an epic screenshot (which I suppose would substitute for a badge), it's there for the taking.  Another, more spectacular example would be all the flares laid out somewhere and lit, if the timing of that is even possible. o.O  

Hey I'll leave you with this one til after fright night is over.

Meet Larry Lubowski, 
Local Librarian of the TimberWolf Mountain Regional Book Repository!
Larry soon read the entire library cover to cover after his first week
on the job.   He was often prone to fall asleep at his post after having become bored
from reading the ingredients list of his snacks and crackers.  His job was to
launch a flare whenever a book was checked out.  When I found him, his pistol was still loaded...

screen_c8044056-517a-4e39-9a71-58cf33223539_hi.thumb.png.2493c3e42ffe9a72458fd9559084aced.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Hello from me,

i liked the idea when it came up and i'm partially responsible of this challenge (and thread) i would say :D I'm posting here to show that i'm still alive ^^

As i said, i like the idea, but i wouldn't start a run with this a the only goal.... That would be to meaningless i think. I can imagine doing this in the next run along the way, but without having a real purpose (part of a challenge or a quest in story mode or a badge) it doesn't get me (even a badge alone wouldn't).

What i would be thrilled for if the game has something in story mode that goes like this: Here is goal X, to reach it it's necessary to fulfill let's say 5 different tasks. You don't have to do them all, but just one of them. The other tasks will then be done by other survivors in story mode/quest mode or you do them all by yourself, as you like. Collecting the knowledge of the world (all books and newspapers, burning is forbidden and ends up in failing the task) and preserving it would obviously be one of this tasks. Store them in a place the game is telling you and read them to get the knowledge. Then use this knowledge to reach one part of the goal. This could be for example learning how to build a boat (or a bow and arows) and then actually building it/them. Additionally, the books and newsapers need a visual overhaul for that. And i think that the data from the PCs should count as well as the books for that.

Anyway, that was more than i wanted to write. Sorry again for not posting here despite i fired the idea, but the actual state of the game doesn't motivate me to collect the books just for screenshots. But in the next run i will do it along the way :) Just need to find a proper library 🤔

Edited by Karl Grylls
  • Upvote 1

Glad for your post @Karl Grylls, and your input. 🙂:coffee:  Your screenshot of the Lighthouse was certainly well timed when the idea first came up, so thank you. 

Even though I play survival mode, I think expanding the functions of books in story mode, as you suggest, is a good idea.  I especially like the idea of fixing a boat using knowledge gained in various ways. Perhaps one could eventually use the Harbinger boat in Bleak Inlet.

12 minutes ago, Karl Grylls said:

But in the next run i will do it along the way

This is a good point.  Since collecting all the books is a very large task, it makes sense that it could be done alongside a player's other activities and goals.

8 minutes ago, Screenshot Pilgrim said:

Glad for your post @Karl Grylls, and your input. 🙂:coffee:  Your screenshot of the Lighthouse was certainly well timed when the idea first came up, so thank you.

Thank you :)

The screenshot wasn't meant to be for the idea, i just picked up my old savegame (feels like years since last playing it) and made it. I have a weak spot for mist and loomy (referring light) things i guess. And the light and the mist were just the way i like so i screenshoted it. And to be honest i just put it in my post just for it not being text only in a screenshot thread :D

Edited by Karl Grylls
  • Like 1

@Karl Grylls said  "Sorry again for not posting here despite i fired the idea, but the actual state of the game doesn't motivate me to collect the books just for screenshots."

@Screenshot Pilgrim said  " I think expanding the functions of books in story mode, as you suggest, is a good idea. "

I think we can all agree that we'd like to see Hinterland expand on how books add to the flavor of the game, but that's something we probably aren't going to see anytime soon imho.  I think perhaps that an event, perhaps similar to the syrup run where all skill books are recovered and returned to a specific location may likely be more plausible.  What did you call that, the Ranger's Journal or something like that?

Currently this idea constitutes more of a personal quest to keep playing in the sandbox fun and interesting and really the only way to share the fruits of our labor and the enjoyment we get out of playing the game is by sharing our screenshots.  Plus that way I know Screenshot isn't lying to me when he says he's got 10 copies of the Sewing Primer series... lol  
Looking forward to seeing this idea grow to fruition with everyone's continued contributions!

• Upvote 1

Yes, i also think that Hinterland has better things to do than putting ressources together to realize the idea of three random peoples from their forum 🤣

I wrote it knowing that someday, maybe in years, in The Long Dark or in The Long Dark Part 2, there could be something that makes more use of the books as current. Was more hypothetical. I like to think hypothetically :)

And here another idea i came up with in the last days: The Long Dark Part 2, the main enemies are other humans. What do you think?

//oh and the library challenge: this and the visual overhaul of the books could be done by mods in the future :)

Edited by Karl Grylls
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Currently this idea constitutes more of a personal quest to keep playing in the sandbox fun and interesting and really the only way to share the fruits of our labor and the enjoyment we get out of playing the game is by sharing our screenshots.  Plus that way I know Screenshot isn't lying to me when he says he's got 10 copies of the Sewing Primer series... lol  

😄 before my next post, I’ll reread the forum rules.

Anyway, this is how I see it as well.

• Upvote 1

Maybe we should discuss screenshot editing.  Good?  Good methods or tools?   Bad?  Lines that shouldn't be crossed?

Here's an unedited screenshot:
371356771_Mountainbooks3.thumb.png.de6491613a787935ca0cc20021056db8.png
I got at least two of those mountain books from Coastal Highway to the Farmhouse, and set up some appropriate gear for Mountaineering 1, 2 & 3.  The lighting was fine, but I could have used a storm lantern or fire, or I could have enhanced it in some way outside of the game.  I tend toward doing as little editing as possible, mostly for the sake of time, and because I very much like how things appear in the game.  This next one is about the extent of my editing prowess, and I'm hoping not to have violated any forum rules.  It's simple resizing, copy and paste, with some effects and text.
57317334_Sampleedit9.thumb.jpg.750f798bd96b12b331e6bc9baab5b398.jpg

With the displays, it looks almost like a museum!   
most of the time when I use the F10 key to capture a screen shot the resulting size is typically 12mb  and when you have many pictures to upload they tend to stall and sometimes error out.  I usually resize using Microsoft's Paint and reduce their size roughly 2.5mb for quicker upload speeds.  I also use Paint to embellish some of the items like it appears you did with the book you captioned "the Farmstead in Winter."  For the purposes of creating your library, it does indeed add tremendous depth to the project.  

I don't think you're violating any rules since your not using any mods and are actually creating Fan Art. 
Go for it, good sir.  This will be a laborious endeavor if your willing to put that much detail into the quest!

• Upvote 1

On 10/29/2020 at 9:44 PM, Karl Grylls said:

Store them in a place the game is telling you and read them to get the knowledge. Then use this knowledge to reach one part of the goal. This could be for example learning how to build a boat (or a bow and arows) and then actually building it/them.

Better yet, a flying boat.  There are materials from three plane crashes and numerous boats.  Since there are no runways on the maps we have, a water/ice take-off seems the only option.  Perhaps sled hauling of materials and lifting tackle would need to be introduced as well.
1107026216_Bookprogress4.thumb.png.b3d7e9ccb3c1f826119e3d191d75d153.png

Added 'Perhaps' to sled hauling

49 minutes ago, Screenshot Pilgrim said:

Better yet, a flying boat.  There are materials from three plane crashes and numerous boats.  Since there are no runways on the maps we have, a water/ice take-off seems the only option.  Perhaps sled hauling of materials and lifting tackle would need to be introduced as well.

Reminds me of an excellent movie from the olden days!  "Flight of the Phoenix"   I was a wee lad when the first movie aired but 
as I recall the story takes place in the middle east during the heyday of crude oil exploration and development where a group of oil workers subsequently crash land in the deep desert and in order to survive must band  together and repair their aircraft or risk a slow death from exposure.  I think the original movie had Jimmie Stewart as the lead character and a subsequent remake of the film starred Dennis Quaid.