The Library Challenge

Screenshot Pilgrim

1 minute ago, piddy3825 said:

must band  together and repair their aircraft or risk a slow death from exposure.

Yes.  So, maybe not an option for Survival Mode, but story mode has NPCs to help pull sleds with aircraft pieces up slopes using lifting tackle.

I have a vague recollection of that movie too.  Not in theater, but from The Movie Channel I think. 

I'm starting something similar to this, but I've expanded it to cover all printed material: newspapers, stacks of paper, etc.  In a nod to the classic post-apocalypse novel A Canticle for Liebowitz, I'm bringing all this stuff to the churches (Thompson's Corner, St. Chris, and the old stone church at DP).  My goal is one of every skill book, and as many generic books, papers, etc., as I can manage.  Like the OP, I don't burn any books or papers for fire, no matter how dire. 

In the novel, Catholic monks make copies of any pre-apocalpse stuff they can find - even stuff they don't understand - as a way of preserving knowldge for its own sake.  Maybe I should stash deerskin and charcoal, too, so I can start making more durable copies on parchment.  It'd give me some use for the excessive hides I tend to accumulate.

Anyway, I'm hoping that my little Project Liebowitz will be a pleasant way to keep busy in the late stages of the game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

I'm starting something similar to this, but I've expanded it to cover all printed material: newspapers, stacks of paper, etc.  In a nod to the classic post-apocalypse novel A Canticle for Liebowitz, I'm bringing all this stuff to the churches (Thompson's Corner, St. Chris, and the old stone church at DP).  My goal is one of every skill book, and as many generic books, papers, etc., as I can manage.  Like the OP, I don't burn any books or papers for fire, no matter how dire. 

In the novel, Catholic monks make copies of any pre-apocalpse stuff they can find - even stuff they don't understand - as a way of preserving knowldge for its own sake.  Maybe I should stash deerskin and charcoal, too, so I can start making more durable copies on parchment.  It'd give me some use for the excessive hides I tend to accumulate.

Anyway, I'm hoping that my little Project Liebowitz will be a pleasant way to keep busy in the late stages of the game. 

Outstanding, I just loved that book when I read it the first time.  my most vivid memory from that story was when they decided to copy one of the original pieces and fabricated this beautiful gilded document intended as a gift if I recall correctly,  using their precious colored inks and handcraft parchment paper only to have it stolen by vagabonds who mistook it's fancy appearance for something of importance only to have dismissed the priceless original as garbage.  

The Church as a repository for all this collected knowledge is indeed a worthy destination.  

• Like 1

@Rusty  Great choice of book and Libraries!  I have 'A Canticle for Liebowitz' on audio, and have been thinking it's time to listen to it again soon.  What's also interesting about your choice of buildings is that they cover a wide range of condition.

I've been considering the buildings and the question, "What happens when their caretakers are no more?".  The Farmhouse would need some serious reinforcement to last even a century.  And by 'last', I mean keep the books safe from the elements.  The churches at least have steep roofs, so should shed the snow much better.  Well, not as much the Stone Church in it's current state, but were it repaired..

Edited by Screenshot Pilgrim

56 minutes ago, Screenshot Pilgrim said:

I've been considering the buildings and the question, "What happens when their caretakers are no more?".  The Farmhouse would need some serious reinforcement to last even a century.  And by 'last', I mean keep the books safe from the elements.  The churches at least have steep roofs, so should shed the snow much better.  Well, not as much the Stone Church in it's current state, but were it repaired..

That actually leaves you with the Hunting Lodge in Broken Railroad.  It also makes it one of the oldest intact buildings on the island all things being relative to the lore if I understand the history correctly.  Supposedly built by a wealthy land baron probably right around the time Mountain Town burgeoned into a thriving mining community. 
That probably would have been a lot sooner than any of the churches were built on the island.  Considering it's age the building is in surprising excellent condition and could probably be considered a historic landmark as it relates to the Island's history.  Some pretty good shelf and table space available there also for display purposes? 

51 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

That actually leaves you with the Hunting Lodge in Broken Railroad

It's a robust structure indeed, and roomy to spare with two floors and the basement.  If seismic activity doesn't topple the mountain out from underneath, it should last for quite a while unattended.  As long as the roof and windows were to stay sound.  That's a lot of trips through wolf inhabited lands...

So far, hunting on route has been enough to keep my book seeker well fed.  It's been mostly wolf encounters and the occasional deer.  Had some struggles, but also killed a few with revolver and rifle shots.  One wolf did me the favor of dropping dead on the road up to the mine entrance.
479982083_Trackstowolf.thumb.png.d6f452d4820b47056e1148cd2cd44ff8.png1730905911_Deadminewolf.thumb.png.8456446626398f54bbe7c642d6b71568.png
While cooking fish on the Coastal ice, I approached a deer carcass to supplement my meat supply, but two wolves nearby took notice.  I shot one dead with the rifle, and the other ran.  I harvested the deer meat, but had to wait until another day to go back for the guts.
156310299_Ontheice(3).thumb.png.fc96aada184098bf663c7dbad729b108.png

I've got a good set of clothes, appropriate to frequent travelling and gear hauling on Voyager.  The expedition parka paired with a light shell is warm and wind resistant.  I'm using two pairs of snow pants, and although prone to damage, they're lightweight and warm.  I've also exchanged my insulated boots for running shoes.  They get wet much easier but the increase in mobility is paying off.  The setup wants mending often, and gets mangled in wolf struggles, so I carry adequate supplies with me.  I'm keeping the boots safe for a later time if necessary.
651212599_Clothes1.thumb.jpg.5bf48f71a65f125a5be852be27aa1ac6.jpg1125117506_Bootsskills.thumb.png.00ce4ca8f1bc8468c53785d81b1ccd30.png

Decided that Hybernia Processing plant offered me the best amenities for building out the library effort.   Spent a huge amount of time schlepping this initial assortment especially the different covers, but I devised a method where I could actually carry two at a time as long as they weren't combined.  So I'd put one book in my pack only and the other I would just carry using the placement tool mechanic until I reached a transition area.  then I'd have to put that one i was carrying on the ground, do the transition, get to the other side, unload backpack and return.  ohhh....  took me most of the week to get this far.   screen_6d4116bc-f2c6-4917-b6e7-d20641e68a2d_hi.thumb.png.277af64f320668957bfb121a44333773.png

Welcome to my reading area.  how about a little nosh while brushing up on your technical skills or whatnot...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@piddy3825  Looking good.  And you've got beds right there.  I would have had to clear out those extra chairs so not to trip over em. 

I'm just past day 56 or so, and am nearing completion of Coastal Highway.  Five more books to haul back that are staged at the Abandoned Lookout.  Then I'm going to set up camp at a fishing hut nearest the elevator mine shaft and wait for the aurora.

2 hours ago, Screenshot Pilgrim said:

That two at a time method should  come in handy when trekking further afield from one’s library.  Rope climbs will be something, but maybe not so bad if decent weather.  

just gotta make sure that you set it down every once in a while and create a new placement point.  I was walking from the townhouse by the the town hall up to the transition cave and when I encountered a wolf and switched to guns.  book teleported back to front of the house where I had set it down originally.  good thing that I hadn't walked that far just yet.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

just gotta make sure that you set it down every once in a while and create a new placement point

Also noticed you can't check status (I have HUD hidden) while scooting a book.  And no sprinting.  But yes, if you hear a wolf or a bear, time to drop it.
1062502397_Dropit1.thumb.png.62de806ee5ba747825390987cbcc8534.png939503572_Dropit2.thumb.png.0c1c1fe1178d413f4f57b37f6f4acf0b.png
I didn't get armed in time, but the wolf fell in a good spot for me.  Still, that's more shoe leather gone. 😐 😄

• Like 1

I decided to take a break from chasing books and replay the Wintermute episodes. 
You can take me outta the library quest, but you can't the Library Quest outta me...

I was immediate drawn to Will's collection of books...screen_5c4c2845-3aae-4d01-9fd6-649d9f6c5624_hi.thumb.png.9d038710e41d60015e183a0b9286c227.png 

screen_2cae923a-58bb-4dcc-8ed4-b1c75a8d7e89_hi.thumb.png.27f48e25cc65aefbca36bc572b43057d.png

apparently he likes to read when he's working on his plane out here in the shop.

So here's a funny thing that i noticed after looting the plane crash site.  I break open one of the crates there and one of each book spills into the snow.  It's like the game wanted me to fuss over those four cover books and climb each one of them outta that chasm and save them for posterity.  I didn't...  burned as fuel for my fire.  
But that got me to wondering why he was hauling around a heavy crate full of books when weight was such a concern during his preflight check? 
Maybe he was part of a flying bookclub or perhaps even part of the Aviator Librarian's Association?  or, was it just a bunch airplane related technical books?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I've found & returned the books from Coastal Highway, plus the southern and eastern portion of Pleasant Valley by day 68.  This could have been shortened, since I took a week off to go fishing at Pensive Pond.  Even then, I found a prepper cache with some newspapers and a reminder to look everywhere.
876216891_Pensivecache.thumb.png.af40f6bb82d92ad5a4d2f7913522ef6a.png894617156_Papergrate(2).thumb.png.1ac270e9e166a1db15ebdf70f96e181e.png
A set of World Book Encyclopedias from 2018 has 22 volumes, so I'll be using that number.
850055018_Encyclopedia3.thumb.png.e526cdd3d70d2c285b803ee2de6e6284.png1824020312_Worldmap5b.thumb.jpg.9d0ec96497106b9078a5ee3d0e06ae9d.jpg
There's an asterisk for the Abandoned Mine with the elevator.  I did make it down there, and found some papers and a copy of Guns..., but did not complete the search due to taking too much damage from live wires and fear of running out of time.  I'll save it for later (or maybe the end), when I'll stock it with adequate supplies to search it with a lantern, and hopefully hold out until the return of aurora.

A word about maps:

In my first Pilgrim game, I mapped every region then existing, and have mapped the new regions after each release, but all of these just the one time.  In the early days, I studied the maps during down time in the game, but now I do without them, and rely on my own familiarity. I'll occasionally look at the World Map when contemplating a next move. On this challenge, I'll continue to go without mapping, and I'm setting up field camps, or using buildings on route, as supply stations for meat and extra gear.
720592870_Fieldcamp3.thumb.png.3613f11d51cd95e62f4322aca7bc428a.png664216588_FieldcampCinder2.thumb.png.0cfc3e40100854884e1d8feffd0a82a9.png
Mapping could prove useful, if time consuming, to players who would like to use spray paint to check off places that are cleared of books.  This method could be less time consuming in the end, since you would know not to return to bookless places. I'm not really going for a speedy conclusion, though can appreciate a modest level of efficiency for myself.

Since I'm sure my Library won't be done by the December update, the new Ash Canyon region will become an opportunity for me to explore a new region without mapping it at all.  Until I'm familiar with it, I'll have to resist the urge to sneak a peek at the new map when it eventually gets posted.  I certainly like the look of all the maps in The Long Dark, but this time I'm going to see if I can find my way without one.