A Unexpected Under Bed Discovery

PurpleWolf13

So I was playing around with my main save file and I found this underneath my bed in my bedroom of Pleasant Valley Farmstead.20201011_020531.thumb.jpg.db1c23f23c2b09d2e92eef0d125625ae.jpg20201011_020544.thumb.jpg.5d465905d2cdd71ba9aa0f495e27a709.jpg20201011_020558.thumb.jpg.336743d40abc603b07dc1c797277f2ba.jpg

This was quite a unexpected discovery, didn't know that Rifles can spawn underneath beds. And I've been at this house for a while and I THOUGHT that I had discovered everything. But no, turns out that I have been sleeping above a gun for a few weeks in-game. 

So this was a random post, but I might as well ask, have any of you have had moments like this where you just discover something new at a place you thought you picked clean? Or learned about a new spawn spot for an item?

20201011_020553.jpg

Edited by PurpleWolf13
Added a duplicate pic
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I have not found anything really substantial like a rifle or revolver, but there were times when I could have sworn I had checked a spot only to find a box of matches or something that I apparently missed or had mysteriously/magically spawned. 😀

• Like 1

I've found that lighting a torch or a lantern can have a profound impact on helping you find things that might have been overlooked otherwise.  Seems the light helps to "highlight" some objects better whilst searching than just relying on your cursor to provide you with a prompt.  I can't remember all the times that I've sparked a torch in a previously explored area only to find bullets, cans of food and soda under chairs, beds and benches.  

Not to rain on your parade, @PurpleWolf13, but I think finding a rifle under a bed is fairly common.  The PV farmhouse bed in your screenshot is one of those spawn points, as are the beds on Jackrabbit Island and Misanthropes cabin on CH.  The bunkbeds in Hibernia in DP too can yield a rifle on occasion.   Finding them in cars is more of a surprise to me, as I've only found two rifles that way since I started playing this game way back when.  lol;)

• Like 1

I found a whole mine I’d never seen before in coastal highway, apparently cinder hills had a sequel. I’d walked by there dozens of times and somehow not seen it. It had an elevator and everything. Kinda a large amount of loot, just don’t go down the elevator if it’s not the START of the aurora....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

Finding them in cars is more of a surprise to me, as I've only found two rifles that way since I started playing this game way back when.  lol;)

The car at the end of coastal highway has a high chance of having one. I have found a dozen or more there. The one at the end past the coastal cottages/misanthrope side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiffTastic said:

I found a whole mine I’d never seen before in coastal highway, apparently cinder hills had a sequel. I’d walked by there dozens of times and somehow not seen it. It had an elevator and everything. Kinda a large amount of loot, just don’t go down the elevator if it’s not the START of the aurora....

That mine entrance was just added when Episode 3 was released; it didn't exist prior to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiffTastic said:

Id love to go down there with a ton of supplies and fully explore it tho. Found A LOT of cool stuff there....

I that same thought in mind, so I decided to launch a new game with a "disposable" character as I only wanted to see what was down there and didn't want to jeopardize any of my long term survival characters on what I considered to be a suicide mission.  With that in mind I set out launching a new game in CH and as I was waiting for the aurora to show up, I systematically looted the map for food, flares and various items I figured I'd need and deposited them all on the floor of the elevator in anticipation of going down there.  Well, long story shorter, I didn't see an aurora for weeks of gameplay in that sandbox.  By the time I did, my character was very well equipped and when the aurora finally manifested itself, it was a long mad dash from the Quonset Hut to the elevator in the mine shaft. 

I finally made it down there and the loot was fairly extensive.  By the time I had gotten to the rear of the passage ways, I was so over encumbered that I was literally walking at a snails pace and my fatigue meter was in the red.  It took every cup of coffee and energy drink I had in my possession to make it back to the elevator.  By this time I realized I had invested way to much time and energy to just fade into the long dark and by the slimiest of margins was able to finally make it to the elevator and return to the surface just in the nick of time before the power ran out!  

The loot was totally worth it!  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincessAutumn said:

I'm not going to lie, when I read the title of this post, I was fully expecting to see that they gave the wolves the ability to go into houses and ambush you when you enter. :D

Imagine a wolf chilling under the bed and when you go to sleep, you wake up with it killing you? That'd be shocking and scary, as it's not like you're in a open fishing hut sleeping on a bedroll. You're in a enclosed building, certain that you're safe but your sleep is interrupted by a hostile, attacking wolf above you.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, PurpleWolf13 said:

Imagine a wolf chilling under the bed and when you go to sleep, you wake up with it killing you? That'd be shocking and scary, as it's not like you're in a open fishing hut sleeping on a bedroll. You're in a enclosed building, certain that you're safe but your sleep is interrupted by a hostile, attacking wolf above you.

Oh man that would give me a heart attack. Come to think of it and while it hasn't happened to me yet, I have heard bears and wolves can drag you out of snow shelters when you're sleeping. Just a bit terrifying.. and by a bit, I mean very lol.. I always mute the sound if I sleep in a snow shelter and cover my eyes just in case :D

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincessAutumn said:

Come to think of it and while it hasn't happened to me yet, I have heard bears and wolves can drag you out of snow shelters when you're sleeping.

Yeah, I can attest to the fact at least that a bear can drag you through a fire to maul you when you pass time while cooking a wolf steak...I was on a porch without side access and had built the fire in front of the porch exit cause I’d already been mauled killing the wolf. Scared the absolute bejesus out of me!

after it was done mauling me, I had not even a sliver of life left. So I picked up the rifle real quick and shot it in the butt as I faded. It didn’t get to maul me a second time....maybe I coulda gotten a bandage on, maybe not, but revenge was more tempting 😁

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, as far as I'm aware bears in this game do not care about fires (this being a feature going all the way back to their introduction)... and I suspect that those instances where it was reported (that is, campfires keeping them at bay) were likely just bugs in their behavior.

Per the wiki:
"No Fear of Fire
Bears are not afraid of fire and will walk right through it. If antagonized, they will charge right through it. Campfires, flares, and torches offer no protection from bear attack."

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PrincessAutumn said:

I have heard bears and wolves can drag you out of snow shelters when you're sleeping. Just a bit terrifying.. and by a bit, I mean very lol.. I always mute the sound if I sleep in a snow shelter and cover my eyes just in case :D

Okay...now I have a new fear of sleeping in snow shelters now 😱

11 hours ago, PrincessAutumn said:

I have heard bears and wolves can drag you out of snow shelters when you're sleeping.

I know they used to be able to (and I loved that)... but lately I've heard that they can't anymore, which is what prompted folks to start using snow-shelters as a soft of "hunting blind" (and being able to hide from wolves and bears with impunity - though to me that would seem like a cheap tactic, so I've never tried it myself).

:coffee::fire::coffee:

11 minutes ago, PurpleWolf13 said:

Okay...now I have a new fear of sleeping in snow shelters now

Perhaps someone in the community can do a little science, and let us know which behavior is true for the current version.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...