Lost in Winter's Embrace...

ManicManiac

We don't have a Winter's Embrace sub-forum yet, so I figured I would chronicle my struggles here.
(UPDATE: We now have a sub-forum for Winter's Embrace :))

To start off with, I opted for a random starting point and used no feats...

I woke to find myself surrounded by a birch forest.  Pleasant Valley :D (of course).  I knew it was going to be a rough start, but all-in-all it's not a bad place to start.  I quickly scoured over the remains of the Lonely Homestead and decided to make a run for the Pleasant Valley Outbuildings.  Along the way I didn't see a bear, or any wolves roaming around nearby.  I wasn't sure if this meant that I was just very lucky or if I had one day to hunt for gear before the furry woodland friends started hunting me.  Then I came upon a day one moose, just lazily grazing.  I think this is the first time I can remember running into a day one moose...  I decided to push forward with reckless abandon, speed would count... it would literally be the difference between life and death.

I hoped it was going to be worth it to make the detour to the Old Barn, before pressing on to Signal Hill.  If I didn't make it before nightfall, I'd likely be doomed.  The detour turned out to be a good gamble... among other things, I found a prybar!  Now at least I knew the trip to Signal Hill would definitely be worth the risk.  While in the barn I did find some helpful items (a pair of Gauntlets, Wool Toque, and Balaclava; just to cite the big items).  I also found a Jerry Can, but I knew I wasn't in a good situation to be lugging around so much.  I'd found a good amount (and variety) of tools and my pack was getting heavy.  I'd have to decide what to do very quickly.

I'd considered going over to the Community Hall and trying to get a main encampment established.  However, I knew the wolves would be certain to be out in force tomorrow, so I decided to go ahead and make a bee-line for Signal Hill.  I was already starting to freeze to death, so my goal now would be to make it to the top of that ridge before hypothermia set in.  Once I got to the road, I saw exactly what I needed.  I quickly searched the car (oddly enough I found a pair of ski boots - but they were so damaged they really weren't worth it at the moment) and used the trunk to cache all non-essentials.  I just wanted to keep firewood/fire-starting materials, clothing, calories, a flare, and a knife (most of the rest went into the trunk).  If I made it to the Radio Control Hut, I'd be able to come back for the gear in the trunk later.

I set out then, and took a chance bounding over hill and frozen river.  I knew I risked getting myself turned around or stuck backtracking around a ridge if I wasn't careful.  I thought I was looking for the front facing hiking path up to Pensive Pond... but instead I found the Lower Falls. :D  I felt foolish for missing the path I was looking for, but I was happy that I just kept using the tower to guide my trajectory.  I ended up going corner to corner, from the car to the Lower Falls... I'm going to have to remember that.  Though tomorrow, I'm sure it will be swarming with wolves.

My hypothermia risk has been steadily climbing, and I've been ignoring my condition.  There's no choice, I just have to press on.  I managed to make it up the steep slope without spraining anything (which was another welcomed dose of good fortune).  However the weather was beginning to turn... cold didn't mater at this point, but visibility was crucial.  Thankfully, the weather head, and I was able to get to the Radio Control Hut (hypothermia risk was up to 93%).  As I stepped inside, it was already getting into the evening so I couldn't see much.  I quickly put on every stitch of clothing I could find and I just barely got above 0*.  I tried my best to feel around for a light source, but I eventually sacrificed my flare to finish cleaning up.

I ate my first bag of Ketchup Chips and went to bed. :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I made it though day one... it was a rough and hard push, but I made it.
Hopefully I'll be able to get the condition of these clothes up without wasting too much cloth to failed attempts.
Now I'll have the wolves to contend with in addition to the cold.  Thankfully, I have found a revolver and a enough ammo to get me by for now - but just for emergencies.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Great post! they started me in FM. pretty close to the ML transition, so I made my way. I found a knife in the Trappers Cabin, and got some decent clothing from the locker there. It was already nighttime by the time i arrived. I took the storm lantern, a flare, and a pack of matches and decided to head Mountain Town immediately in hopes of looting all of the houses. (it paid off) 

• Like 1

I'm in my second run now. First, I started in HRV. Needless to say I only survived a little over a day because I don't know that map well. My second start was in Desolation Point near Hibernia. I have no weapon but a pry bar and didn't scout every where but I hit the trailers, Hibernia, the Riken and the lighthouse. I'm in the basement at crumbling highway. Just barely made it in before becoming wolf bait. I'll be starting my third day when I go back to the game. I've found 2 bags of KC. Oh and a can opener. At least I won't be wasting my cans.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I'm curious to see what the wolf situation is going to be later today.

My first day was without fury friends as well. Second day not so much. And third day they watched over whole CH. 

I got my early moose presence as well. It was second day I think. And the bastard had to know I have no weapon. He stayed near Quonset few days just taunting me.

Now I am in PV. Still no weapon. But I have munched many chips and drink some syrup. My favourite meal is now ketchup chips with maple syrup dip.

• Like 1

I woke up early the next morning.  I wasn't fully rested, but I needed to get moving.  I knew it wasn't likely that I would get as far as the Community Hall, and I settled on the idea of migrating from shelter to shelter until I could get warmer clothing (either through mending or finding higher quality gear).  The wolves should be out prowling by now, so taking the road back around is no good.  It's all so too far.  Instead I decided to take the slope down to the Long Curve.

By the time I got down to the road I was already beginning to freeze to death.  I took a quick stop over to the car and gave it a once over (I found a little more food and a pair of insulated boots - so I put those on immediately :)).  At this point I knew it would be unwise even to try pressing as far as the Old Barn, so I decided to fully embrace a migratory strategy.  Everything I find at a shelter, I will short and cache on the spot.  I really can't think about setting up a main encampment per-region until I am able to get more armor against the cold.  Right now my search radius is just too small to try and consolidate resources.

There was a fairly sizeable wolf pack out in the orchard of the Pleasant Valley Farmstead.  I decided I would stop off there for the remainder of the day.  Stopping over there for the night would also give me ample time to start harvesting my excess clothing as well.  As I approached I did make a stop off at the barn near the road.  I didn't find much but I did warm up just a little.  I even took the time to climb up to the loft... but nothing was there.  I'm always compelled to check it, even though I've never found anything there. :D

I made it to the Farmstead in the early afternoon.  I head a bear nearby behind the house (or perhaps behind the silo), but I didn't get eyes on it.  Since I had the rest of the after noon, I knew I should take the opportunity to search and sort.  Until I get better clothing warming up in any meaningful way would take hours anyway.  I managed to get the first floor searched and stashed most of my non-essential gear in the refrigerator.  I found some Maple Syrup on the counter... I hope it still counts it we don't technically "pick it up" because I drank it right from the counter (got a little too excited, I guess). :D  I'd also started a fire to cook up a venison steak I found in the freezer and to get another 2L of water in addition to what I got from the reservoir tanks.  I also took a torch to make better use of matches going forward.  I harvested some more of my excess clothing, rolled the dice and ate my lowest condition foods first (luckily no food poisoning), and slept solidly though the night.

The next morning I took the time to do some mending (the insulated boots, mariner's peat coat, and military coat are all up to snuff now).  I finished rooting though the upstairs and searching around the outside of the house.  A blizzard decided I was going to have to stay close and mostly stay inside.  I found a mending book so I read that immediately.  Getting my mending skill up is going to be a lifesaver.  It always stings a bit when I waste cloth in a failed mending attempt.  I spent the rest of the afternoon harvesting the 4 pairs of boots I'd been accumulating.  I also managed to finish harvesting the rest of my excess clothing, so I now have a significant amount of cloth and leather (though most of that will get stashed away with the rest of the gear downstairs.  By this time it was getting very late (and I needed to end the session anyways).

Tomorrow I want to finally make a push for the Community Hall.  I'll likely make a stop at the Old Barn and bring what I left in the trunk of the car back inside.  If I'm going to be purely nomadic, I may as well replenish the cache for that shelter.

:D So far this is a lot of fun.  At least in these first few days the deeper cold is an interesting little early game changer.

[Addendum]
I almost forgot, I have to prospect the basement before I head out tomorrow. :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I even took the time to climb up to the loft... but nothing was there.  I'm always compelled to check it, even though I've never found anything there. :D

Every time! thought for sure they would put some syrup up there! 
A little side note on barn lofts: Those are actually for owls. The idea being an owl can make a home there and keep rodents out. Which is why there isnt a ladder or stairs to the loft. :) 

• Like 3

@SirSharper

I suppose they can be used for that too.  Many were often refereed to as a "Hayoft" because they were primarily used for storying bails of hay.  However, they are indeed also very versatile paces that could be used for any number of things... including the housing of barn owls I suppose (though most farms just had cats to keep their rodent problem down).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

I got a first-day moose in BR, too. That sucker hung out at the lake for days and wouldn't let me harvest the deer there.

The initial stress of getting warm and clothed is definitely a key part of this experience, also much less opportunity to get outside and do stuff, so my style of play has to adapt to that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I made it to the Farmstead in the early afternoon.  I head a bear nearby behind the house (or perhaps behind the silo), but I didn't get eyes on it. 

Good sir. I think we were in the farm house the very same day. I went out from the back porch and yes I can confirm that was a bear. He headed from the famrhouse to new built barn.

I couldnt do anything about it. I still have no weapon of any kind. It seems like you are few steps before me and left no weapon behind for me. :D

• Like 1

I find that, so long as you're able to avoid hypothermia, the penalties for cold don't have too much impact. Provided you can rest at a positive temperature, a good night's sleep will fix all your ills from the day's misadventures.

Good luck on your Pleasant Valley run! I did that one as my first run too, though I started at the Picnic Spot and therefore hit Thomson's Crossing first. After there, a run to the Farmstead via the Barn, a loop to Signal Hill, a blizzard worth of clothing repairs, and an early morning climb up to Prepper's Abandoned Cache via the Crash Site set me up for a Timberwolf Mountain run.

Are you going to try for Coastal Highway from the Community Hall?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Oh and I dont want to only complain. I do have two snow pants, two red jaegers, insulated boots, marine coat and fishermen sweater plus Mackinaw and Cowichan sweater. And I do have two nice white-red hats with the maple leave. I do have gauntlets as well. So I am pretty well prepared for the winter. Not for wolfes and bears though.

• Like 1

@Jimmy

I've been considering making a trip to Timberwolf Mountain provided I get enough "armor against the cold."
The way things are looking, I might be in good shape to reach the summit... but I still want to sift through the rubble of the plane crash and see if I can find a prepper cache first.

If I can't get to a point where I can make a longer hike, then yes... at that point I would likely pass though Coastal Highway on my way out to the rest of Great Bear.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, acada said:

I don't want to complain...

I understand the feeling... I'm in the opposite situation.  I don't have much of the high-tier gear, yet I've found two revolvers & two rifles.  :D

I'd gladly trade you a rifle and a revolver for the kind of clothing loadout you've put together. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I quickly gave the basement a shake down (not a lot to mention - more stuff to put into storage, some clothes to breakdown).

When I poked my head outside I was surprised to find clear skies.  I decided to take a direct path across the river and through the hay field.  The wild was biting but at least it wasn't a headwind.  As I got closer to the Old Barn, it was apparent that I would have to stop off and try to get warm.  Now that I had a lantern, I took time to search it more thoroughly.  Oddly enough I found another crowbar (which I left there next to the tool box) but nothing much to speak of.  However, my temp meter had recovered to three quarters.  Considering there was still time before nightfall, I decided to risk two treks so I could make it to the Community Hall that much sooner.

The weather outside turning bad, and looked like it was threatening a blizzard.  I decided it was worth the risk if it meant the possibility of finding warmer clothes.  I also decided to leave the gear stashed in the car out on the road was just going to have to stay there for now.  I realized I was still following some of my long term survival habits, and not harvested any plant life.  I did stop off near the edge of the river to gather up some lichen (I grabbed 6 in total).  This way I could also finally shed the weight of lugging around antiseptic.  I'd only gotten half way to Thompson's Crossing when the weather got worse.  it wasn't a blizzard yet... but I had a strong feeling it was coming.  I did what I could to run it out, and I managed to make it in ahead of the storm.

The next couple of game days were spent searching the surrounding buildings (including the Rural Store and the Church).  I came upon some really nice finds for clothing, and I've been able to do some mending to get most of my gear fixed up.  I even used up some cloth on gear that probably wasn't worth it (and hopefully I'll get replaced before too long), but I figure I need to get my mending skill up as quickly as possible.

After weathering a couple of blizzards (which allowed me to boil an obscene amount of water, cook all my canned foods, read two skill books, and get all my excess clothing scrapped for cloth and leather) I was feeling confidant enough in my warmth bonus to take a longer trek, and see if I could make it up to the Abandoned Prepper Cache.  The weather had finally cleared so it seemed like the perfect time to get going.  For the sake of weight, I did end up leaving about half of my food supply at the Community Hall.  I knew I still had more than enough to keep my well-fed buff going strong (as well as plenty leftover in case a blizzard forced me into a cave overnight).  I also opted to drop all my cedar, fir, and reclaimed wood.  I had about 26 sticks on me and I knew if I was diligent at picking up sticks along the way, I would have more than enough firewood to last a night if need be.  Plus I had a feeling I was going to be finding a good amount of cedar/fir when I got to the run down shack near the Abandoned Prepper Cache anyway.

I decided I would take the river route.  Thankfully, the way was clear all they up to where I veered up the bank, and crested the slope just in front of the Derelict Cabins.  I didn't start freezing to death until I got to Point of Disagreement.  I also noticed the wolves prowling around on the nearby hillside... so I made sure to give keep a good respectful distance.   Even though I was beginning to lose condition, I did end up taking a detour to check the Hunter's Blind.  Unfortunately the side stop did not prove very useful (at least not at the time - I mean I found more rifle ammo, but I still hadn't found a rifle).

I quickly made my to the Abandoned Cache and did stop for a moment to just consider the climb.  I decided that I at least wanted to go sift through the aircraft wreckage and Skeeter's Ridge before deciding which region I'd be visiting next.  It didn't take me long to gather up all the gear and supplies from the bunker.  Of note, I did find a hacksaw... so that's making me more seriously consider visiting Timberwolf Mountain.  I didn't get much by way of more useful clothing, but I do now have more to harvest.  I did harvest one set of boots, but I stopped harvesting when I noticed it was only late afternoon.

Since I was also fairly warm again, I thought I may as well take the opportunity to see if I could make it down to the Misty Falls Picnic Area.  As I slowly made my way up the hill, I kept a sharp ear listening for little footsteps.  The last thing I needed was to get ambushed on a blind hill, I didn't want to have to shoot...  I'd rather save that for if I ever need food.  I decided to risk the extra time in the biting cold, and crested the hill crouched down.  I was relieved when I saw the way was clear.  I then quickly ran down to the picnic area and was pleasantly surprised to find an MRE and rifle.  Finally, the 37 rounds I'd been carrying around all over Pleasant Valley were worth it. :)

I ventured into the cave, yielding a good amount of coal, cedar, and sticks.  At this point I'd found 3 more flares on the various frozen bodies I've come across on this trip.  When I got the main chamber I picked up the food, extra bedroll, a bow & arrow set.  By the time I got to the waterfall I was really weighed down so I decided I would camp in the cave for the night and burn up as much of the extra wood I found that could.  First however, I needed to get behind this waterfall.  I stripped down slowly waded through.  I geared up again, searched around as quickly as I could manage (I lugging about 54 Kg now), then stripped down again to get back on the other side again.  Once on the other side I found I could barely walk now.

I wanted to bed down on the other side of the crawl space... but with as encumbered as I was, it would have taken way too long.  I lit my torch and got a fire going, and I dropped 12 hours worth of cedar & fir wood.  I began looking through my inventory to see what I might leave behind and what I was willing to lug back over to the Abandoned Prepper Cache.  At some point in this cave I'd found a second rifle. :D  For the life of me I don't quite remember now, if I found it in the main chamber or behind the waterfall.  I'd also found a second storm lantern... and while I'd normally really like to stash back up equipment, I just don't think it's going to be that kind of a run.

Even though it stung to do... I ended up breaking down the lesser condition rifle and storm lantern.

After performing the sad duty of scraping two fine items... I just filled my stomach and slept until morning.

I think for tomorrow, I want to drop off what I can back at the Abandoned Cache and then see what I can find over at the Crash Site and Skeeter's Ridge.  I'm considering setting up a cache of gear and supplies at the Draft Dodger's Cabin if time and weather permits.  I don't know, I'll have to think about it some more.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Even though it stung to do... I ended up breaking down the lesser condition rifle and storm lantern.

Why does this feel so wrong. 

So i've been finding that what works for me is to make small little "camps" in obvious areas everywhere. LUL. I'm trying to keep moving and moving. based on what others have said, i feel multiple playthrough WILL be the way to go. but I am REALLY fighting with wanting to stay out and build a proper shelter. 

• Like 1

@SirSharper

I know what you mean.

My regular playstyle usually involves me setting up a main encampment and then a few caches of gear and supplies strategically staged.  I'm having to fight that urge now. :D

I agree with you, I think the way to go for me is to not really haul a lot of stuff around, but rather just leave non-essentials where I find them.

However, what I noticed I've been actually doing... is consolidating each little area into a stash before roaming to the next one (I did the same with the buildings at Thompson's Crossing - everything went into the Community Hall).  In the case of the Misty Falls cave, it just makes more sense to drag that stuff to the Abandoned Prepper Cache... because I know I will not be likely to ever swing by to visit that cave ever again. :D

Perhaps it really would be best for me to just setup a cache at each shelter from whatever I happen to find there...  I guess I'm still wrestling with that.  I'm finding the urge to consolidate resources is really persistent in my play habits. :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

Oh no. I am on my way to the picnic area. I was prepared to trade some of my clothing for one of your rifles. Anyway I left two pairs of cargo pants in 90-100% condition in the church. You can pick them there. But please leave the hatchet. It is my only one so far.

Anyway I am heading to the picnic area right now. I do have some food and drinks. If you are still there we can make some picnic. You know, fire, some steaks. No beer though. I havent seen a beer on this god forsaken island for ages. Must have been something wrong with supplies nowadays.

• Like 1

@acada

Not to worry, if I do see you there... I'd still happily trade my rifle and one of my revolvers for some warmer clothing.  I still do fairly well at defending myself against wolves with a pocket full of stones, so I'd happily gift you a firearm.  :D

Heads up, I did stash my other Revolver at the Farmstead house (it's in the refrigerator)...  so if you find it there, you can have it.  :)

• Upvote 1