Lost in Winter's Embrace...

ManicManiac

I am sorry, I did not found any revolver in the fridge at the farmstead. I think somebody else wandered there and needed it.

It seems like I missed you again. I made it to the picnic area. I was followed by a black shadow. I kept it at bay using flare. We could have had steaks. But no big deal.

I have heard some shots south of the picnic area. Was it you? I forgot to warn you. There is second bear there. One is near farmstead. Second is between the barn and Lonely Homestead. I hope you are well.

Funny thing. I do have a bow now. But no arrows. Only one arrow head. Birch twigs are drying in the church.

Are you aware there was a big disaster at this location? I have found crashed airliner. What a horror. Bodies everywhere. I found my second covichan there though. I left a combat pants behind for you if you show up there. Its in the red suitcase.

Edited by acada
  • Like 2

I was having trouble until I realized that the fire setting was "fire overcomes cold" and that there's no parasites.  Whee!  So back to my way of playing a few years back.  3 sticks are your friend! (and mushrooms of course)

Edited by Jolan
  • Like 1

Cross read your messages.... 

I'm the one who took the revolver from. The fridge, left 3 arrows in exchange.... 

The shots you heard was me... 

5 hits only to scare this wolf... 

Not even hit him once.... 

Too much shaking from the surprise to meet him face to face around that rock... 

I'll try to see this cave near the waterfall

Hope to meet you guys around

Edited by Grunt
Typo
  • Like 2

Oh my. I have not found those arrows. Must have overlooked them. Anyway, I am pinned now in the cave at the Picnic Area. Blizzard and wolfes are taking turns. But I did not explored whole cave yet. So I will spend a day there. I might bring venison. Lucky for me I hearded a deer into the toothy hungry pit called wolf. He left some meat behind.

• Like 2

The next morning I very slowly made my way out of the Misty Falls Cave and back to the Abandoned Prepper Cache (slowly because I was lugging just shy of 55 kg of gear and supplies :D).  After a quick round of "drop and sort," I spent the rest of the day over at the Crash Site.  It didn't take long before I was significantly weighted down with extra clothes and airline food.  The upside though is that I was able to get a couple of Fisherman Sweaters and Wool Long-johns.

The way was clear all the way over to Skeeter's Ridge, so I spent the night.  I mostly just left firewood there in the basement, and stopped by the Burned Ridge Cave to check to see if there was anything valuable in there (there wasn't).  Afterward, I made the hike down to Draft Dodger's Cabin and cached most of my haul before making the trek back to the Community Hall.

It was a long few days, but I came back with healthy food supply.  I got a short fire going to get the canned goods cooked up for later.  I spend a good part of the rest of the day getting the excess clothing harvested and another round of mending for the rest.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Despite the long trek, the last few game day's weren't very eventful.  The good news is that my warmth bonus is looking pretty good now.  I still don't have a lot of top tier clothing yet, but I'm fairing pretty well.  I'm going to take one more trip out to see what I can find out at the Three Strikes Homestead... after that, I'm undecided.  I do still need to check the house(s) on the other side of the bridge at Thompson's Crossing, but I'm not sure if I should head to Timberwolf Mountain or if it would be better for me to just head to some of the other major locations in the other regions of Great Bear.  I get the feeling that I'm only going to find Maple Syrup at the major location across Great Bear, so perhaps it would best to skip the more out of the way corners in favor of getting to and through each region as quickly as possible.

I suppose I'll have to think on it some more...

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I am glad to hear you are ok. Pity you have not found the combat pants in the red suitecase. 

I had the very same dilema to go North or South. I think unless the plane crashed in the Timberwolf Mountains, I am not going there. I am now at the Signal Hill heading South. 

And thanks to whoever who left a nice revolver in the radio hut. I found there second mariners coat as well so now I am comfy.

Again I left some good clothing at the radio hut. Tommorow I am heading to the Carter. Maybe we can meet there.

P.S. Who needs multiplayer 😁

Edited by acada
  • Like 3

I swear I'm in some sort of loop - I know I've checked this coastal cabin off the highway before... a couple of times.... this time I found maple syrup, if only I could find pancake mix!  I've marked the cabin, but I've done that before...I'll head over to Miller's Crossing and see if I can meet up with you all.

Edited by Jolan
  • Like 2

It took two more days and a bit of risky night travel, I've visited every location in Pleasant Valley.  I suspected that it would probably be better for me to just hit the major locations, and I think that's going to be the plan from here on out. :D

I did make a mistake over by the Three Strikes Homestead... I got ambushed by a wolf, but that was my fault.  I had torch pulled from the fire barrel, and I was going to pitch it at the wolf to get it to run off.  However, I got a little bit too close and it charged me.  I discouraged my attacker, but not without a little clothing damage and blood loss.  Then later that evening I realized I'd forgotten to disinfect the wound.  I had to waste a day taking antibiotics and sleeping off the infection.  After that I took another night trek to the Picnic Area and Pensive Pond.  I didn't find much of interest though.

Now, I'm snowed in at the cave nearby Thompson's Crossing.  I have a couple of books to read and more than enough firewood to keep warm if the blizzard gets much worse.

I realized I've spend 13 days here in Pleasant Valley... I'm going to have to start making better time if I'm going to do a broad search of Great Bear.

• Upvote 1

I have left the Pleasant Valley. But on my way out, I sprained everything but one hand. In this hand I held a revolver when wolfie appeared. One hand and revolver was enough. Anyway lot of good warm clothing is now in the radio hut. 

Now I am in Carter Dam. Just a note. The powerplant administrator was real fan of ketchup chips. 

• Like 1

:D I found three revolvers before I finally ended up leaving Pleasant Valley.  This one was at pensive pond... I forgot to mention that yesterday, but since it was number 3 it just didn't seem that important (so I left in the Community Hall).

The blizzard passed relatively quickly for Pleasant Valley.  True, I'd managed to sleep though most of it... but I'd only gotten to read for a couple of hours before the storm abated.  When I finished the hike back to Thompson's Crossing, I took another day to do a final "sort and drop."  After a rather thorough and exhaustive search of Pleasant Valley, I've made up my mind.  I've wasted enough time, so I'm abandoning my usual playstyle entirely.  I'm only going to pack food with the most calorie to weight ratio and coal (since it has the best burn time to weight ratio).  Every other non-essential is getting dropped.  Also, from here out I'll swap out items from my essentials kit if I find ones of better condition.

I've finally decided to fully commit to a purely nomadic lifestyle and treat the rest of the challenge as a walking tour of Great Bear Island.  The new plan includes sweeping just the major locations first, and then if I still don't find enough precious Syrup... that's when I'll consider more thorough and exhaustive searches again.  After my wolf encounter (and subsequent bungle) the other day.  I also decided I would also go weapons free on the hostile wildlife.  I settled on the Revolver because I already have 75 rounds vs the Rifle's 37 (and of course because the revolver's lighter).  No more need to throw stones in this run.  If I can't out maneuver a furry woodland friend; I'm just going have to shoot them.  It's wasteful and I don't like it... but I have to get moving.

I arrived at Coastal Highway today, and I decided to carry 24 pieces of coal on me as well.  Even if I am lazy with stick collection (of which I still have 60 on me as well) I have enough extremely warm fire for three nights.  That should be plenty.  If I am still judicious in gathering sticks, then I'll have very comfortable fires for at least 12 days in that case.  :D

The Abandoned Mine was good practice for me to get out of the "gotta collect everything" hording habits that I generally have when I play.  :D
It hurt my soul to leave 6 rifle rounds in the mine... but I'm not carrying a rifle and I don't need them.
Damn, that's still bugging me much more than I would have thought it would.

I've been playing with the same style more or less for so many years now... I really do appreciate this event for giving me a push to break out that.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I quickly checked the Abandoned Lookout and made my way down to the cabins just below the cliffs.  I'll have to keep an eye out, the bear tracks here are fairly fresh.

Unfortunately I didn't have much time so I had to cut the session off there.  I think I will continue down the switch backs and rummage though the Coastal Town Site.  From there I want to make a quick loop from the Water Fount Cottages, Misanthrope's, Jackrabbit, Log Sort, and Fishing Village.  Hopefully that won't take me more than a day or two if just look for food and syrup.  :D

Nothing very exciting, but then it was also a very sort session.  Here's hoping I get into a little more trouble tomorrow. :)

• Upvote 1

Well I've continued trying to quickly make my way though the major locations, so far I've manged to avoid getting into trouble.  I really wanted to keep a journal of all this, but it seems the consensus is that it doesn't seem practical to try and get both badges in one run... so I suppose once I hit 25 days, I'll consider starting fresh to continue hunting the precious maple syrup.  :D

I'll have to think on it some more...  so far I've only found 2 bottles in Pleasant Valley... and none so far in Coastal Highway.  :/

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, SirSharper said:

I just did a 30 day run. Made my way through the hot spots in all locations. found about 12 maple syrups. started a new run this morning. 

At what level are you playing?  I suppose with WE that means in which region did you start.  Are you using any mods?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, peteloud said:

At what level are you playing?  I suppose with WE that means in which region did you start.  Are you using any mods?

Playing WE (only one level, cold and easy) 
Spawned in Broken Railroad (fairly close to the cabin / in the creek below)

Found decent clothing in the cabin as well as food & coffee. I basically play like this.  If i find coffee, i cook it. I run EVERYWHERE if I have coffee to maintain the running. If i find a research book that boost mending or cooking or fire starting, i read them immediately. I do not craft or harvest or use a rifle or bow (just carry that pistol for protection). I carry a crowbar everywhere with me. 

The "mods" or perks I  am using are anything that helps me move faster (Efficient Machine, Free Runner, Snow Walker, Blizzard Walker)

Yeah, ended up finding two in Coastal Highway...
Mystery lake has been disappointing so far.  I found nothing in the dam (just typical loot - no syrup... not even any chips!), and nothing at the Camp Office or Lake Cabins...

I'll continue on and try to give every region the once over... after that, I'll start again. 
I finally started to break my last habits of my usual play style, I started using a firearm to deter wildlife. :D
I don't like to... but I had 120 rounds and this isn't my personal challenge so I figured, "why not?"  I need to start moving faster anyways.

Hopefully I will get lucky and find a bottle at the Forestry Lookout and Trapper's Cabin...  if not, I guess I'll just head to Milton.  These bottles seem to be most likely found in man made structures anyways.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I finally started to break my last habits of my usual play style, I started using a firearm to deter wildlife. :D
I don't like to... but I had 120 rounds and this isn't my personal challenge so I figured, "why not?"  I need to start moving faster anyways.

My entire play style for this event has changed. Honestly, i feel like i may be getting to "cocky" and will struggle to get back to my usual self. 

• Like 1

Okay... I've traipsed all over Mystery Lake, hit all the major locations... found nothing but standard loot (full disclosure; I think I found two bags of chips total in the entire region). :(
An unlucky day I suppose.

I've moved on to Mountain town, and I've been to the Gas Station and Grey Mother's House.  Searched from top to bottom... again nothing.
I guess the syrup spawns really are just random and really could be any place.  I think I only have 4 bottles so far, I was hoping have found more by now.  Oh, well...

I did get the Badge for 25 days... so perhaps it would be better to start a new run. 

The rarity is a bit frustrating I'll admit (only because of the trek to get from place to place - and not finding what I'm looking for), but I do still enjoy the challenge of going on walkabout in the harsher climate.  :)
I still don't know that I will start again for a chance at better RNG rolls... I still kind of want to finish the walking tour of Great Bear Island.
I'll have to think about it some more...

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

. . . . . I've still only managed to find four bottles :D

Prospects are not looking good...

After 172 days I have found, 7 or 8 syrups.   In the last few days I had three easy finds in MT, and there are several key places still to check in MT. 

I think it very unlikely that I'll be able to find 25.

It feels like I have eaten about 150 Ketchup Chips.

• Like 1

@peteloud

Yeah my numbers seem to be about in proportion with yours.  I just spent the entire session today in Mountain Town... another day of zero bottles found.

I even managed to start a second run at MT, searched all the man made structures just as a test... and again found zero bottles.  I only started that second run because it seems that while it's technically possible that there could be 25 bottles in a single run... the randomization seems to make that very very  improbable.

:D

Despite my efforts, I don't think I'll be lucky enough to find 25 of them either (I'm lucky if I get an hour for a session each day - some days a little more and some days not at all)...

Oh well, I'm still enjoying the challenge.  If I end up missing a badge, at least I know I gave it my best shot.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

@SirSharper

Yeah, I was kind of hoping that Mountain Town would be a good spot just because it was once a decently populated area... but I was clearly mistaken. :D
I'll likely start another run soon and focus on Pleasant Valley again, and try to move as quickly as I can from PV to MT and hit as many structures along the way in each region in between.

Good luck to you in your treasure hunt.  :)
I hope you can get the badge (and I hope I can too).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1