Lost in Winter's Embrace...

ManicManiac

Astrid now called Will. He came and is now searching for the good celebrationary golden drink in the Coastal Highway. He spent a day and half searching whole area. You know how many syrup he found? And there are just few houses he did not visit. Well tommorow he will go to the Desolation point to see if whale fishermen left some behind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

Be my luck I'd go down there with a fortnights worth of provisions only to be eventually starved out waiting a month to get out again.  

That is part of the risk we take when we choose to explore in such an unstable circumstance, that's certainly true.

The first encounter I remember having where that situation was a possible problem involved the bank vault (but that got patched out pretty quickly if memory serves).
The second was the Aurora Hatch side mission from episode 2.
The third (and current) is the mine shaft.

I know weather can turn on a dime and leave a player trapped without warning... but so far my method of getting in right as the Aurora starts, search fast, and get out quickly has worked out so far.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
But I know the day will come when the lights go out, and I'll be trapped in the dark. :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

Arrived at Bleak Inlet early in the morning and stayed perched on a stone formation above the slope that leads to Pensive Lookout.  It wasn't long before I spotted the timberwolves skulking around.  I waited and they moved off for a while, then returned.  Took a long range shot at one and saw the snow kicked up, but no reaction.  Took another long shot and off it ran.  I didn't know until a day or two later that I had actually hit the thing. Probably one of my longest hits with the rifle.  I made it to the lookout without any trouble, retrieved the rope, and deployed it.  I decided to climb down and search the nearest cabin. Nothing much there, so hiked down to the Worker's Cottages.  Also not much I would need.  The bear was close by when I came out so I put two rounds into him and didn't see it again for the rest of my stay.  Storming quite often and got caught on my way back up to get the door code.
1705093830_BleakInletvista.thumb.png.8f69cebdc445600ef7dca588b4fc7b2f.png957475811_Bleaklookout.thumb.png.d3adc1b73bdd8774840a065a1c22051d.png
Spent a day getting some meat so I could save my lightweight food for the trip out.  I could have timed my rest better when the aurora came, but I had to make due with being half rested and the coffees I had saved for the mission.  I brought a flare gun and arced a flare from near the gatehouse into the enclosure of the Cannery yard.  It was effective and the wolves scattered.  I shot another flare right at the opening and dashed through to the short rope climb.  Once I was atop the entrance gate, I wounded at least two wolves with rifle rounds.  It took me three revolver rounds to put down the shop wolf (two missed), and then I hit the sack.  Spent a few days around the workshop with no luck on syrups, so started to venture outside for several more days.  Plenty of wolf meat to eat, but a lot of work around the area for no return.  While I was searching the trailers up the road I noticed a dead wolf on the ice about halfway to the island.  Decided to get some more meat then noticed...
1756880340_Bleakice.thumb.png.547c2e4d2c196b52e40cbf1285512eba.png 
It looked like they were going to cut me off from the shore so I used up about 5 or 6 rounds to drive them off.  I found dead wolves over the course of the next few days, so put a few more long shot notches on my rifle stock.
146324544_Deadwolf1.thumb.png.8469e68c2f14810f2b398489350fb45c.png264637113_Deadwolves.thumb.png.92687f3f68a9a0a4406d27e035ac0f84.png
So while I had some good rifle practice, I left the region without success in the the syrup hunt.  The wolves in the Lookout area were out for blood when I was ready to leave, so I waited until night and gave them some parting shots with the trusty flare gun.  One to get me past and one to convince them not to chase.
1439080742_Bleakpack2.thumb.png.c0703591a4ca13589e1e4aabd261d648.png534863637_Partingshots.thumb.png.7a6cbd1d6eb465c5aa3e53fad116f623.png

• Like 1

After the Inlet I figured I'd have time to tie up the loose ends on the eastern side of Great Bear, so from the Ravine I went back to Mystery Lake, hit the Logging Camp, then over the hill and down the Lake Trail to the Western Access area.  Climbed the rope behind the bear cave and took the rope with me, heading back one last time to Broken Railroad to check the ravine there.  This also allowed me to finish the Muskeg along the northern side.  A long walk for nothing, but now it's done.  Trudged back to Mystery Lake and went towards Trapper's to make an outer loop of the region ending at the Carter Dam.  Found one syrup at the Dam in a plastic container.  I couldn't bring myself to keep smashing every crate in the place so I left for Coastal Highway.  My plan now is to end the event on the Summit after looting Pleasant Valley.  I haven't kept count of syrups, but estimate to be about half way or slightly more.  The Broken Railroad wolves were of course really glad to see me again.
492678437_nightwolf.thumb.png.e8670bddcf0786438b24086d33de8e9a.png

• Like 1

screen_3fe30797-1526-413e-99d5-ec889f625363_hi.thumb.png.1237b7849885dc15cc7b5b5c1b92ebfb.png

Imagine returning to The Long Dark after months being terribly busy with work, and discovering there's a summer event called Winter's Embrace (heh). And that such event ends in basically three days. Not having enough time to take this challenge seriously, I opted for a random spawn. Broken Railroad! Just the perfect place for cold weather, wolves, poor loot, etc. I never seem to remember they changed the map a bit in the Landslide area at the beginning, so I always waste time getting back on (railway) track. And of course as I spawn and start walking, a blizzard is already mounting. I'll cut the boring story short: I had a terrible first day. The only consolation is that, thanks to the coal in the Maintenance Shed, at least I was able to stay warm. When I left the place the day after, the area was surrounded by wolves. It took me a long time to sneak past them, so I was already freezing by the time I reached the lake… what's it called? the lake with the Hunter's Blind.

I took a small detour to check that Hunter's Blind and it was empty. The detour cost me the first fight with a wolf. Thankfully I survived (thanks, prybar). I had enough stuff to patch me up and reach the Hunter's Lodge. Wolves everywhere. The hypothermia risk was too high to try a stealthy approach, so I just ran for the main door. I heard barking from all directions, so close to me. But a moment before hitting the 'Open door' trigger, a wolf caught me. I didn't think they could get so close to the building. Another fight, another 'victory' — quotes are mandatory here: I didn't die, but I was left in poor health and with my already poor clothes in an even worse state. 

The Hunting Lodge, which usually isn't that great of a place for loot, was somewhat even more disappointing than usual. Lots of empty containers and useless crap (3 spray paint cans, really?). Seriously, I've had Interloper runs more fruitful than this. I was able to patch myself up again and survive the night. 

Day three now. I've reached the truck parked outside. Weather's getting worse again. I'm out of here. 

(Turns the ignition key)

Oh wait.

• Like 2

Down the western side of Coastal Highway to the Rabbit Grove cabin.  Skipped the Bear Creek Campground with a bear in it, then to the Fishing Camp.  I took the Jackrabbit Island route to the Waterfront Cottages on my way to Desolation Point.
569244866_Bearcamp.thumb.png.7fbf988cab9317b62672010c82b38454.png686837747_Coastal1.thumb.png.b1066aceb958b86f4c6be0ab620c05fc.png
A thoroughly creepy night on the Old Island Connector and four days of bad weather at the Point with nothing to put on my pancakes.
1113920712_Creepyconnector.thumb.png.39a09e425a94c046ccadbcd8a8ecdcc4.png2087907243_Lighthouseweather.thumb.png.600936e106b372234ea5354d2534a6fa.png
I did have a fun moment right after this next shot.  Was waiting for the wolves to get closer when a bear walked past right underneath my small ledge perch.  I thought I had such a good shot, but only wounded it.  Then I dumbly watched him run up the road and turn back to scale the ledge I was on.  I went down to the left and then straight off onto the road below.  I don't know how I got away without two sprained ankles, but I ran across the road and down onto the ice.  Had to deter the wolf with a rifle shot, then I made it up to Hybernia.
1580481978_DPhunt.thumb.png.fcf049c4ce2b61ae711c2cbf064afec5.png
Back at Coastal Highway, the whole Townsite was a bust.  I slogged around to a few more spots, but nothing.  No auroras, so no elevator ride.  I've been through the whole southern half of Pleasant Valley too, with only the one Farmhouse syrup.  Just the northern parts left to explore, then Timberwolf Mountain for the last event day.  

• Like 1

Astrid is now desperate. She called all her friends and family. Gues what? Nobody was able to find a single bottle of maple syrup.  @Screenshot Pilgrim can you get message to Prison bus guy? "Can we meet and plan robbery of the Canadian national treasure? As written somewhere else, there are tons of maple syrup in there."

• Like 1

I did a few more days of WE to tidy up a couple of loose ends and as I started in PV I thought it appropriate to end in the PV farmhouse.  What amazed me about the ending was the lighting in the PV farmhouse.  For years it was so dark in the farmhouse that it was necessary to use the lantern even when it was very bright outside.  Today it was perfect.  Well done Hinterland, even if it took a long time to fix.

This is my journal.  It was a PV (advanced) start,  and it was played without any fiddles for skills or mods.

1073935331_WEDay381screen_(325)_a5193fec-e658-4426-a824-aae8928b36ab.thumb.png.4726352b755288058a3887384f477205.png

Now for a rest.

Addendum,

I estimate that I only found 12 or 13 syrups.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1

Made it up to the Summit after finding nothing but the usual gear, including in all the cargo boxes.  Then the very last search I made was...
120157670_Lastsyrup.thumb.png.77d78eb3214e0faa1e7d522d0b89289d.png2131779152_LastSyrup.thumb.jpg.cd920e3a242551b61fe825df1638973b.jpg
I didn't make it to the 25, but I think I was well over halfway, and ended on a high note.  Had a lot of fun and a few laughs, so not sad about the badge.  Thanks for the event, Hinterland!
1973251931_Coffeetime.thumb.png.2d94ad87fae9c605b5817b91dd40092b.png1207907395_regionstats.jpg.6381ebbc9b9d03ac07424dcb602506d7.jpg
1128322567_Dayssurvived.jpg.2760079346f6c906ce8bb3b543faaa87.jpg
242135307_Blizzards(2).jpg.1c043e7d01ad9c76f56b5104db50ce0c.jpg
Stats are from my second guy. 

• Like 1

Thank you, to the folks who added the chronicles of their journey along with mine, and to all those who followed along with us.  I think this has event has been a lot of fun, and it prompted me to use a different playstyle (and as a result, also refining my usual playstyle) which I very much appreciate.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Stay warm out there, wherever you are.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Good thread,  @ManicManiac.   Thanks for having us. 😉:coffee:

I can't say I changed my style really, but I think I have two styles anyway.  There are times when I like to live on fishing and leisurely poke around every corner of a region while gathering firewood.  For me though, day or night, fully rested usually means it's time to hit the trail.  I like long trips and I often just leave stuff I don't need where I find it, and maybe put a note in the journal for later reference (I'm with @peteloud on the spray paint, but really just for aesthetic reasons - no offence meant to the graffiti/spray paint artists out there, but I just can't bring myself to use it).  I almost never map anyway, and try to rely on memory.  During this event, I used a few charcoal in HRV to get my bearings, then used the sun/moon/hazy light to figure my direction.  When it's snowing heavily and the sky has that grey whiteness, well... 😐 maybe then it's time to dig in and wait.

• Like 1

I have returned to my Astrid who lives in Great Bear for almost 300 days. What a surprise when she found a ketchup chips. Now when Winter Embrace is already finished? She started a long time before this event started.