Bedroll destroyed by bear or wolf

peteloud

I have had my bedroll completely ruined in a bear or wolf attack about half a dozen times.  To suddenly find that you have no bedroll can be a major problem.  It recently happened to me again, when in HRV.

Then I remembered a couple of other such attacks in the same place, near the cave in the top left corner of the HRV map.  That left me wondering are the attcks in which the bedroll is completely ruined only in this area, or do they occur in all regions?

:coffee::fire:

On 7/30/2019 at 11:55 PM, ManicManiac said:

...this game is all about taking careful and deliberate action.  Making a poor decision should have consequences, even ones that result in death.

Edited by ManicManiac

I decided to return to the area surrounding the cave in the top left corner of HRV to see if I had another bedroll ruined by a bear or wolf.  On my last visit I left a bearskin bedroll in the cave so that If I am attacked in that area and have the bedroll that I'm carrying ruined, there is another one waiting for me in the cave.

By now, after 700+ days in a Stalker game I think that all the standard bedrolls are ruined.  This is a hassle as in areas like this I sometimes need to carry around two bearskin bedrolls so that I can leave a bedroll in a cave for emergencies.

This is why I recently posted a message in the Wish thread suggesting that we can make a simple bed from a couple of deer or wolf skins, or similar.

When I returned to that area in HRV I stayed in the cave that is to the right of the cave where I've had problems.  Near that cave a wolf came after me but I shot and killed it before it attacked me.  So I learned nothing.  I left the bedroll that I was carrying in that cave and wandered over to the top-left cave, but didn't see or get attacked by bear.

In the end I decided that I didn't want to risk losing another bearskin bedroll and have a great hassle replacking it.

So back to my query, has anyone else had a berdoll that they were carrying completely ruined in a wolf or bear attack? If so where did it happen?

5 hours ago, stratvox said:

Yes. I have had that happen to me in FM.

Now that you mentioned that it happened to you in FM I remembered a couple of occasions when it happned to me there too.  Slowly it is coming back to me.

So my wondering whether this was a little trick specific to near that cave in the top left corner of HRV was wrong.

I further confirmed this after leaving the other cave up that way, to the right of the top-left cave.  I departed from the cave and was attacked by two wolves withing minutes.  These were surprise attacks when I had no time to shoot he wolves. Apart from having bad injuries I also had my bearskin bedroll ruined.  I survived and have the spare in ther top-left cave so my situation is not as bad as in previous games.

Edited by peteloud

Guest jeffpeng

Well, I'm not certain this should be a thing. If you get attacked in your sleep - alright, I see why and how this would come to pass. But having your bedroll mostly randomly ruined is something I don't feel communicated well enough. Especially considering the only available form of craftable bedroll is very, very expensive, and especially on Interloper normal bedrolls are a rather scarce resource and it is expensive to maintain multiple ones of them over a prolonged period of time.

Guest jeffpeng

I'm not contesting the realism of this, but I am putting to question how wise this is from a gameplay perspective, as, as I said, bedrolls are of limited supply, expensive to maintain if you want to keep multiple of them as backups, and replacements are prohibitively expensive and dagerous to come be.

When I first had a normal bedroll ruined in wolf/bear attack I tried using a bearskin bedroll thinking that they would be tougher and might take less damage.  I was wrong, one attack and it was completely ruined and useless.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just encpountered a new bedroll in HRV.

Because of the pre-mentioned problem of my bedroll being completely destroyed in a bear or wolf attack I have stored a couple of spares bedrolls in caves.  This morning, (game morning), I left the cave down in the Hushed River canyon, leaving a spare bedroll in the cave and carrying another bedroll with me.  I climbed up the rope out of the canyon and immediately saw a bear  a resonable way off, coming my way. I dropped my bedroll about 30 feet from the top of the rope, and returned to the rope planning to loose an arrow at the bear and have the rope as a quick escape route.  My thought being that if the bear attacks me I will not be carrying the bedroll so it will not be destroyed.

It went according to my plan.  When the bear got to the point where he stands up I fired an arrow at him then immediately descended the rope.  I didn't kill the bear as I could hear him at the top grunting as I slowly descended.  When I was back down in the canyon I returned to the cave to find that my bedroll which was in 100% condition the previous day, was ruined.

How come thet bedroll in the cave suddenly became ruined?

I reported this bug a while back from a test I did; in my case a rolled out bedroll in a nearby fishing hut was destroyed. I think this is related to wildlife being able to attack you while sleeping, and damage is randomized between your body, clothing, and bedroll. It may be that the struggle doesn't discern whether the attack interrupted a use of a bedroll, but instead always considers the nearest rolled out bedroll part of the gear involved in the attack, even if it's quite far away.

When attacked while using the bedroll, it's understood that the bedroll can take damage.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stratvox said:

Never leave a bedroll rolled out. I learned that one quite a ways back. Even without animal damage, rolled-out bedrolls decay insanely quickly.

In my experience this only happens if you leave it outdoors for a long time. The sneaky part is the outdoors part of caves, apart from that I often leave the bedroll in the back of a cave, fishing hut, or right inside the door indoors to snag some warmth or sleep without finding a bed in the dark. 

Hm, well... I pretty much always sleep in the outdoor part of caves next to a fire; best way to avoid cabin fever... and in general my guy spends a lot of time in caves because there are some serious advantages (not least of which is the wood cold bonus).

Just going to mention that bed rolls should be craftable again. Or we should be able to sleep anywhere. One of the two, but I really feel like we should have sleep options available. When my character says "oh I could lay down and sleep right here" I am like, yeah right. You are incapable of sleeping here even if you were awake for two years straight. Don't lie to me astrid.

• Upvote 2

My bedroll was rolled up and at the back of the cave.  I remember a similar occurrence about a year ago, also in HRV. 

I have only had bedrolls completely ruined in wolf/bear attacks, when carrying them, in HRV and FM, and only had rolled up bedrolls, lying a cave, suddenly self-destroyed in HRV.  Is this significant?

It changes the game greatly.  Now I have to have a stock of bedrolls spread around HRV before spending time there.  As I'm in a 750+ day game almost all of the standard bedrolls have been ruined, so killing bears and curing bearskins is almost becoming a full-time occupation.  I think I'll give up with the game until the next update comes out and hope that the bug is removed in that.

When I realised that in games over 500 days that bedrolls found in caves etc will be ruined and useless I started making a point of finding these bedrolls and repairing them  and moving them to a convenient safe place for use later in the game.  Unfortunately this was a game I started ages ago and didn't do this in this game.

Edited by peteloud

12 hours ago, stratvox said:

Hm, well... I pretty much always sleep in the outdoor part of caves next to a fire; best way to avoid cabin fever... and in general my guy spends a lot of time in caves because there are some serious advantages (not least of which is the wood cold bonus).

This is what you do when you grind the Blizzard Walker badge, and then you find out it wears down on it too fast - BTW sleeping in the back of caves also counts against cabin fever, so this saves a lot more firewood.

And yes clothing/bedroll will ruin with time - guesstimate for the normal bedroll is ~100 days indoor usage? And ~50 for the bearskin bedroll. Some tough clothing might last 200 days from a 100% repair. I've repaired selected items such as spare ear wraps, thin wool sweater and socks and they last at least 60 days indoors, probably more (ear wrap could be less), but I've never repaired a spare bedroll. After a while you have more bear skins than you know what to do with, and they don't ruin so it's best to use them when the time comes.

Edited by Gun Tech.

Since mentioning it earlier in this thread I have had two rolled bedrolls, that I left in a cave, damaged while I was out of the cave hunting and attacked by a wolf. 

It seems that the bedroll that I last slept in, in spite of being left in the cave, is treated as if it was in my backpack.

• 2 years later...

I have not been paying much attention to TLD for the past few months, so I was surprised to find this message saying that this problem still exists.  Over a period of a few years I have given HTL much detailed infoprmation on this issue.  I assumed that it would have been cleared years ago.

I don't want to be too critical of HTL as other games are filled with thousands of such problems, but as one of TLD strongest supporters I feel entitiled to complain.  I expect almost perfection from HTL.

Incidentally, recently I have spent more time than is sensible playing Elden Ring and AC Valhalla.  Elden Ring seems to be nothing more than an endless succession of BOSS battles against very powewrful monsters.  I find Valhalla better than Elden Ring but the game concept is no where near as good as TLD.

I am still convinced that TLD is the best game that I have ever played.