Other things I've noticed about Errant Pilgrim Update

hozz1235

1. Deer and and rabbits do not always run in a straight line away from you making "herding" them into wolves much more difficult
  2. If you do manage to herd, once you aim your <insert weapon here>, the wolf flees making  it more difficult to kill.  <SOLUTION> get close, crouch, then draw your weapon of choice.
  3. At BRR, I saw a moose so decided to do the "tried and true" method of shooting it with my rifle from atop a rocky outcropping I could drop down from to lose pathing.  NOPE!  I dropped down the the darn thing kept after me.  Luckily, I was able to back off a bit and get a head-shot in as it was charging me.  I haven't tested this further, but will.  IF they did "fix" this, hunting big game has gotten MUCH harder.
    1. Has anyone sniped from a tree yet?  Do they attack you in the tree?
  4. If you go to harvest a carcass you've killed with an arrow, you automatically retrieve your arrow (thank you!)
  5. If you quit and load a saved game where there were big-game about, the game are gone when you load (pre-existing issue?)
Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hozz1235 said:
  1. [...]
  2. At BRR, I saw a moose so decided to do the "tried and true" method of shooting it with my rifle from atop a rocky outcropping I could drop down from to lose pathing.  NOPE!  I dropped down the the darn thing kept after me.  Luckily, I was able to back off a bit and get a head-shot in as it was charging me.  I haven't tested this further, but will.  IF they did "fix" this, hunting big game has gotten MUCH harder.
  3. [...]

They try to attack you, but flee after not being able to find a path too you.

Killed a moose att the fallen tree near the Washed up Banins in BI.

10 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

That happened to me in Mystery Lake, just before Errant Pilgrim came out.  I was hunting a moose near the cabin north of Unnamed Pond.  Approaching that clearing area from the cabin, there's a tree with branches coming out of the slope on the left.  Just beyond, there's a thicker tree coming at an angle from flatter ground.  I threw a stone to get the moose to move out of the clearing, then ran up that thicker tree.  When the moose returned I waited near the tree for it to charge, shot an arrow in the moose, and scampered up the tree.  The moose ran right up the tree and said hello, in its rib-stomping sort of way.  I haven't tried it with the thinner trees, but it seems the animals can path up those thicker trees.

On 12/15/2019 at 6:15 PM, hozz1235 said:
  1. Deer and and rabbits do not always run in a straight line away from you making "herding" them into wolves much more difficult
  2. If you do manage to herd, once you aim your <insert weapon here>, the wolf flees making  it more difficult to kill.  <SOLUTION> get close, crouch, then draw your weapon of choice.
  3. At BRR, I saw a moose so decided to do the "tried and true" method of shooting it with my rifle from atop a rocky outcropping I could drop down from to lose pathing.  NOPE!  I dropped down the the darn thing kept after me.  Luckily, I was able to back off a bit and get a head-shot in as it was charging me.  I haven't tested this further, but will.  IF they did "fix" this, hunting big game has gotten MUCH harder.
  4. If you go to harvest a carcass you've killed with an arrow, you automatically retrieve your arrow (thank you!)
  5. If you quit and load a saved game where there were big-game about, the game are gone when you load (pre-existing issue?)

About your last point, I've been playing hide and seek with a moose near the Trapper's cabin in Mystery Lake.  He's been standing in the middl eof the clearing next to the pole barn.  However, when I go inside the cabin and come back out, he's not there; BUT if I just walk around to the back of the house and then back out front to the door, he literally appears in the middle of that clearing standing in the exact same spot he's been for the last two days.  Is the game possibly having trouble rendering and/or re-rendering these large game animals?

Guest jeffpeng
On 12/16/2019 at 2:15 AM, hozz1235 said:

At BRR, I saw a moose so decided to do the "tried and true" method of shooting it with my rifle from atop a rocky outcropping I could drop down from to lose pathing.  NOPE!  I dropped down the the darn thing kept after me.  Luckily, I was able to back off a bit and get a head-shot in as it was charging me.  I haven't tested this further, but will.  IF they did "fix" this, hunting big game has gotten MUCH harder.

Pathfinding has gotten MUCH deeper. If I had to put a number on it ... at least 3 times as much. Plus just because you break the current path that doesn't mean they won't attempt to find a new one.

On 12/16/2019 at 2:15 AM, hozz1235 said:

If you quit and load a saved game where there were big-game about, the game are gone when you load

I could imagine this being intentional to prevent load, try & quit exploting.

10 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

I could imagine this being intentional to prevent load, try & quit exploting.

That doesn't explain my disappearing and reappearing moose since I'm not exiting the game and reloading.  All I'm doing is entering the Trapper's Cabin and then turning around and going outside again.  Then, to make him reappear, all I'm doing is walking around the back of the buidling.

Guest jeffpeng
1 minute ago, UpUpAway95 said:

That doesn't explain my disappearing and reappearing moose since I'm not exiting the game and reloading.  All I'm doing is entering the Trapper's Cabin and then turning around and going outside again.  Then, to make him reappear, all I'm doing is walking around the back of the buidling.

Ah. That one. Yes, I've first noticed that myself, at the same spot ... ages ago. Also with the wolves in front of the Milton farm, or in front of Orca's. There are a few distinct spots for that. Apparently (some?) animals spawn into the world AFTER the player, but not while you are looking. Which makes for a few weird happenstances. Like when you look right you see no wolf. Then you look left and get barked at from 5 feet away from your right and ask yourself "how the fudge?" right before it jumps you. Very annoying. But it has been in the game for .... I don't know how long.

I have found deer and wolves (I play Pilgrim) run in rather strange patterns. They also tend to get 'hung up', i.e. mill around, when they reach an impassable place like a rock face. This can be extremely frustrating compared to before.  I guess that with the increased availability of ammunition that the devs decided they could make us have to use it more. 

Big game needs to be pretty close to the building if it is to be caught up in the respawn of the landscape when you go inside and coming back out.  At the farmstead in PV, the bear has to be closer than the car that is parked there for me to expect it to still be there if I were fetching a rifle.  Any further out and it becomes iffy.

Edited by UTC-10
I didn't finish my entry.

10 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Ah. That one. Yes, I've first noticed that myself, at the same spot ... ages ago. Also with the wolves in front of the Milton farm, or in front of Orca's. There are a few distinct spots for that. Apparently (some?) animals spawn into the world AFTER the player, but not while you are looking. Which makes for a few weird happenstances. Like when you look right you see no wolf. Then you look left and get barked at from 5 feet away from your right and ask yourself "how the fudge?" right before it jumps you. Very annoying. But it has been in the game for .... I don't know how long.

Well, today I started my game after having slept in the Trapper's Cabin... not only is the moose gone, but the trees are no longer scraped; so another moose is not going to spawn in the area.  Seems like a rather harse penalty for people who are not save scumming the game, just to prevent some people from doing it.

Guest jeffpeng
1 minute ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Seems like a rather harse penalty for people who are not save scumming the game, just to prevent some people from doing it.

I'm not sure it is intentional. It just might as well be some engine limitation or a straight up bug that just never got fixed. I'm just saying that I could imagine this being the case. Although I have to agree that this would be a rather poor way of doing it. But since I don't even know if that is the actual root cause on this I'll skip speculating on how this could be done better.

59 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

I'm not sure it is intentional. It just might as well be some engine limitation or a straight up bug that just never got fixed. I'm just saying that I could imagine this being the case. Although I have to agree that this would be a rather poor way of doing it. But since I don't even know if that is the actual root cause on this I'll skip speculating on how this could be done better.

I hope it isn't intentional.  I got to thinking about the other side of the coin.  If just going inside a nearby building or, worse just passing some time to cop a save and then exiting the game, was a surefire way of getting rid of that prowling bear nearby or that pack of timberwolves or that nasty moose guarding that deer carcasse in the pole barn (which was my case), that would be an even better exploit for players playing on the harder difficulties than the mere prospect of "trying again" to kill the animal(s).

4 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

If just going inside a nearby building or, worse just passing some time to cop a save and then exiting the game, was a surefire way of getting rid of that prowling bear nearby or that pack of timberwolves or that nasty moose guarding that deer carcasse in the pole barn (which was my case), that would be an even better exploit for players playing on the harder difficulties than the mere prospect of "trying again" to kill the animal(s).

This is a very thoughtful point.  Both (given this particular effect) are indeed possible "exploits" and no mater which you try to resolve would result in the accessibility of the other.  Good observation @UpUpAway95, though it seems like you were putting it in a positive light...  while I tend not to like either scenario: being able to get "cheaty" with the game to shake predators, or to get another crack at hunting.  I think both are detrimental to the experience, however, as always I think people can play however they want to.

:coffee::fire::coffee: 
After all, it seems there is no such thing as a game that can't be exploited in one way or another... so I suppose in the end it's up to the player to choose whether or not to do those things.  :)  (However, I do support any method a developer might choose employ to help reduce exploitability)

Edited by ManicManiac

27 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

This is a very thoughtful point.  Both (given this particular effect) are indeed possible "exploits" and no mater which you try to resolve would result in the accessibility of the other.  Good observation @UpUpAway95, though it seems like you were putting it in a positive light...  while I tend not to like either scenario: being able to get "cheaty" with the game to shake predators, or to get another crack at hunting.  I think both are detrimental to the experience, however, as always I think people can play however they want to.

After all, it seems there is no such thing as a game that can't be exploited in one way or another... so I suppose in the end it's up to the player to choose whether or not to do those things.  :)  (However, I do support any method a developer might choose employ to help reduce exploitability)

Well, I do see save scumming to retry something a person has failed at doing the lesser of the two "evils" so to speak.  Consider that some people have challenges that don't enable them to learn things (like aiming a weapon in a game) as easily as others.  It comes in handy to allow them more than one try sometimes so that they can eventually see some success and get some enjoyment out of the effort.

However, I'm sure the devs will work it out to suit themselves eventually.  In the meantime, I think this is probably a bug... perhaps an extension of the "bleeding out" reset bug.

Edited by UpUpAway95

11 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

As long as their method doesn't punish 95% of the player base to prevent 5% from exploiting!

I trust Hinterland's commitment to their vision for their game, and I trust them to do what they think is best for it.  I think if something is not in line with their intentions, then they have the right to correct it as they see fit... regardless of how I (or anyone else) may personally feel about it.

I think the Hinterland team deserves all the support we can give them.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

I trust Hinterland's commitment to their vision for their game, and I trust them to do what they think is best for it.  I think if something is not in line with their intentions, then they have the right to correct it as they see fit... regardless of how I (or anyone else) may personally feel about it.

I think the Hinterland team deserves all the support we can give them.

You misunderstood my comment as an attack on HL - it was not.  It was a general statement. 

You can support HL but you also have the right to question intentions (you may not always get an answer though, which is okay!)

It seems for quite some time now, @ManicManiac, you feel obligated to defend HL on any post where you interpret someone's comment/question/suggestion, etc. as an attack.  You are entitled to your opinion, but I'm pretty sure HL will address any perceived attacks on their own.

• Upvote 1

@hozz1235
I wasn't trying imply anything, just offering another perspective.  :) 
I didn't interpret your comment in any particular way.  I took it at face value, and gave my earnest thoughts about it... that's all.

We all have the right (of course) to communicate our thoughts on the various comments posted, on both sides of an option or observation.  I never meant to insinuate otherwise (and I certainly don't think I ever stated anything to the contrary). :) 

Also (since you saw fit to bring it up), I don't feel obligated to anything (in this context).  I speak my mind and for myself... I don't attempt to speak for anyone else.

Edited by ManicManiac

6 hours ago, Makex said:

After this very latest update 1.69 on PS4 when you have visited workshop you can not do anything other than bullet related stuff. No more wolfskin jacket for me.

I still find it strange that we don't have a workbench in this new "industrial" area. There's even something resembling the actual workbench nearby!