You know.....self-reflection and all that. I gotta get this off my chest and see what you all have to say, if anything at all.....mean or sweet....or whatever.
Context: The longest I've lived is 200 days on Stalker (not man enough for Interloper). And in that run, I never made it to TWM, HRV, or MT. You see, i think I play pretty slowly. Up until this point, my method has been to "clean" a region and leave it with all resources stocked in a base or two. I also spend time mapping for the achievement......and hunting cairns (and even those awful buffer memories).
My conflict: Apparently, as time goes by, loot degrades and weather gets worse. This means, if I want to get those snow pants or exp. jacket, or <insert prized degradable item here>, wherever they may be, I need to get moving and go everywhere ASAP. The effect this has on me is I feel rushed, in a game that's supposedly about not being in a rush. Anyway, me and my inner conflict.
Here's some stuff I do that I'm sure would drive most of you crazy:
- I'm currently hanging out in the hunting lodge in BR waiting for a bear skin to cure so I can add 55% life to my beardroll. By hanging out, I mean I am finding ANYTHING to do in the area while it cures, rather than just carry it with me or leave it. My brain tells me two things: Don't carry it, too heavy for the trip out (nevermind the weight of the beardroll itself), and two, don't waste it, because that's disrespectful to the bear. I just hope the moose doesn't spawn, because I have this half damaged satchel thing.....
- As of 1.69, I avoid wolf contact if at all possible, even though I have 30 rounds with the revolver. I do alot of crawling....this slows me down (and gets boring admittedly). In the past, I could stay upright mostly, drop decoy, and haul ass to my destination.
- With the exception of the bear I mentioned above, I pretty much carve, cook, and skin everything. However, I am now leaving guts behind because of the new wolf AI, which makes them more valuable from rabbits if I can find them in a peaceful place not serving as wolf bait. Seems rude to kill the animal and move along without using it. I leave huge piles of meat everywhere, that's a nice calorie source that never goes bad. And I do like to have skins cured waiting for me in caves and buildings to repair my clothing. Before 1.69, the wolf coat was my main exterior, along with rabbit hat and deer boots. NOW, I am wearing the moose cloak for it's protection. I dread the wait to cure THAT hide for a cloak repair.
- I maintain "well fed" 100% of the time.
- I carry crap as if I never know where I am going to spend my next night. While this is a sound survival tactic, there are times where it's obvious I don't need to do it and could travel lighter.
- I strafe alot. Is that slower than walking straight ahead?
- I don't use the radial, except for bedroll and charcoal.
- I rarely build a snow shelter, as cozy as they are. I am mindful of wasting cloth. If stuck in a blizzard, I find a wind block and tough it out next to a fire. Speaking of which, has anyone been attacked by anything while in a snow shelter since EP?
- I extend the life of my fires with sticks, when not necessary, only to melt up more water so I can leave bottles everywhere. Ask me how often those bottles come in handy. 🙄
- I continue to take risks with a health bar between 50-80%, and go about my business. This, even though I've learned my lesson multiple times about being at full health. I've died from wolf attacks I could've survived if I had just slept, drank the tea, or both.
That's enough for now. Welcome to my head. Sorry.