New EP Materials

hozz1235

I started a new game with Resource Availability set to the highest.  Spawned in MT just to see what the loot was like.  Out of 5 cars searched, found 1 battery.  Found some stump remover at Grey Mother's house so far but only about 10 minutes of play time in.  

Has anyone else revisited locations that were previously looted to find any of the new items?

I want to continue my long-running game in which I've looted everything and continue exploring BI but I'm concerned I won't find much of the new loot.  Kind of reluctant to re-visit every location again looking for the new items...

in terms of gunpowder components (stump remover and... fertilizer?), you shouldn't need too much. I found two of each in BI, and unless my math is very bad, I have enough gunpowder for 100 cartridges now. I believe 3 batteries will get you a comparable number of bullets (though less sure of my math there. I also didn't find any batteries in BI).

in an existing game, the hard part will definitely be the casings, since as far as I can tell you can't make those, you just pick them up when you reload. so if you're out of ammo entirely, that's pretty much it. I did find a couple in a hunter's blind, but can't imagine revisiting the whole world to look for a handful.

as far as revisiting locations, I did find a gunsmithing book in the train derailment in ML, but haven't been back over many other locations yet.

2 hours ago, abacusjax said:

in terms of gunpowder components (stump remover and... fertilizer?), you shouldn't need too much. I found two of each in BI, and unless my math is very bad, I have enough gunpowder for 100 cartridges now. I believe 3 batteries will get you a comparable number of bullets (though less sure of my math there. I also didn't find any batteries in BI).

in an existing game, the hard part will definitely be the casings, since as far as I can tell you can't make those, you just pick them up when you reload. so if you're out of ammo entirely, that's pretty much it. I did find a couple in a hunter's blind, but can't imagine revisiting the whole world to look for a handful.

as far as revisiting locations, I did find a gunsmithing book in the train derailment in ML, but haven't been back over many other locations yet.

So, you've made some ammo already?  How much of each component do you need to make 1 round -OR- How many rounds can you make with each 'item' (i.e. How many rounds can be made with a single container of stump remover, lead, etc.)?

I have not yet made any ammo - I had some trouble tracking down a battery and a hacksaw in the same place, since ages ago I cleverly migrated most of my hacksaws far away from any cars. I did make it to the cannery though, and can tell you that 

1 Stump Remover + 1 Dusting Sulfur + 2 Charcoal = 1 Can of Gunpowder, ie, .5 kg gunpowder

1 Battery = 6 Scrap Lead

1 Scrap Lead = 6 Bullets

1 Bullet + 1 Casing + .01 kg gunpowder = 1 Cartridge

so gunpowder is 50 cartridges filled per can, bullets are 36 per battery, casings are whatever you can scrounge up

A car battery can be harvested into six lead plates, weighing 0.25 kg each,  and each plate is enough for six bullets. So a battery should be able to supply up to 36 bullets.

Dusting sulfur is 0.1 kg, stump remover is 0.75 kg, and two charcoal is 0.20 kg for a total combined weight of 1.05 kg. Now in the release video I noticed that the can of gunpowder of about 1 pound so call that 0.50 kg (50% of the weight of the ingredients). At 0.01 kg of powder per round (revolver or rifle makes no difference), making a can of powder gives enough powder for 50 rounds. 

The limiting factor would be the cartridge casings. 

I haven't gotten to Bleak Inlet and haven't made ammo. I was toying with the numbers and watching the release video since it did talk about reloading ammo.  

I've been able to harvest car batteries from previously explored locations (Milton specifically), however stump remover and fertilizer do not appear to spawn in previously explored locations.  I've found only a handful of those in Bleak Inlet, so it appears that my existing game will not have much long-term potential where ammo crafting is concerned.  I've found precisely one gunsmithing book in Bleak Inlet, so it appears that if I want to max out that skill, I'm going to have to sacrifice a lot of my existing ammo. (Harvest ammo for parts, craft crappy ammo, accept my failures, repeat until the skill is maxed out.)

Fortunately between revolver and rifle rounds I have over 600, so I should be able to pull that off without much trouble.  And since fishing is my primary source of food...whatever.  I can easily eat these losses.

8 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I've been able to harvest car batteries from previously explored locations (Milton specifically), however stump remover and fertilizer do not appear to spawn in previously explored locations.  I've found only a handful of those in Bleak Inlet, so it appears that my existing game will not have much long-term potential where ammo crafting is concerned.  I've found precisely one gunsmithing book in Bleak Inlet, so it appears that if I want to max out that skill, I'm going to have to sacrifice a lot of my existing ammo. (Harvest ammo for parts, craft crappy ammo, accept my failures, repeat until the skill is maxed out.)

Fortunately between revolver and rifle rounds I have over 600, so I should be able to pull that off without much trouble.  And since fishing is my primary source of food...whatever.  I can easily eat these losses.

4 hours ago, OutdoorEnthusiast said:

You can find stump remover and fertilizer in old saves.

Hide contents

Managed to find some in the ML and PV bunkers

I have found fertilizer in PV in my ~770 day run.

On 12/11/2019 at 9:42 AM, abacusjax said:

I have not yet made any ammo - I had some trouble tracking down a battery and a hacksaw in the same place, since ages ago I cleverly migrated most of my hacksaws far away from any cars. I did make it to the cannery though, and can tell you that 

Hide contents

1 Stump Remover + 1 Dusting Sulfur + 2 Charcoal = 1 Can of Gunpowder, ie, .5 kg gunpowder

1 Battery = 6 Scrap Lead

1 Scrap Lead = 6 Bullets

1 Bullet + 1 Casing + .01 kg gunpowder = 1 Cartridge

so gunpowder is 50 cartridges filled per can, bullets are 36 per battery, casings are whatever you can scrounge up

I found 2 hacksaws in The Drill Press area itself.