Lost and Found ALMOST worked...

ajb1978

Well the Lost and Found was a good idea...but it only "sort of" worked.  :(  I'm missing 4 storm lanterns, 12 scrap metal, 88 cloth (it cleaned out my scrap cloth stores entirely), 10 cured leather, 5 arrows, and 6 bows, according to the inventory I took of the region last time I was there.   As near as I can figure, two of the cabinets in the Farmhouse kitchen were not included in the Lost and Found.

Also I had two moose steaks sitting on the grill outside the Pleasant Valley farmstead prior to Episode 3.  I went back and found the moose meat in the lost and found...but it had suddenly become raw.  When picking it up out of the lost and found, the image changed to raw moose meat, and they were again 900 calories each.  I dropped it on the ground and it became unclickable cooked moose meat.  Couldn't left or right click to pick it back up.  So I save-scummed back to when I had first entered the new barn and went back over to re-retrieve my moose meat.  This time I kept it in my inventory, and went to investigate the grill where I had left it.  Invisible cooked moose meat was on the grill, and when I clicked it, it's like all those cooked properties instantly transferred to the moose meat in my inventory.  It went from raw 70% 900 calorie moose meat, to cooked 100% 1125 calorie moose meat instantly.  It's like the meat got moved, but the "cooked" property got left behind on the grill.

So the TL;DR here is: Two of the cabinets in the Farmhouse got missed, so you might be missing items in the Lost & Found, and any cooked meat left on the grill outside make sure you go back and pick up that invisible "cooked" property off the grill!

• Like 1

I don't know about items that might be lost, generally, but I do know that lost and found consolidated everything (so far) that I had left on the snow and ice outside my various bases in Pleasant Valley to the box on the front porch of the farm house. I do know that the vast amount of ruined (0%) cooked and raw meat that was around the farm house and outside the bases has gone the way of ruined items put into containers. Gone.

I have not yet moved beyond the line (towards what was Crossroads and now is Thomson's Crossing) of Draft Dodgers and Pensive Pond yet because I was moving stuff back so they could again be stopping points. But I am not sure just what might have happened to my base in the Crossroads house and the pile of coal, etc. that was at the fire barrel, etc. maybe there will be a lost and found outside that house.  I expect the interior,  if it changed, to have the stuff inside in a lost and found box. 

I have tested the lost and found box on the farm house porch. Items that can decay will decay while in the box, albeit rather slowly. Items that don't decay won't. Although it may be tempting to keep stuff inside it because the lost and found box has unlimited capacity (of course you can't put anything into one) there is no guarantee that another round of landscape changes won't result in its contents being replaced by whatever else got scavenged up rather than added to, or the box might go away eventually whether it is empty or not (unlikely though). 

I have now gone to Thomson's Crossing. Thomson is located on the nominal "West" side of the river and there used to be accessible houses on the nominal "East" side of the river which are no longer accessible or there anymore. I am saying West and East because of the way the game map is oriented, so North would be roughly towards Timberwolf. 

What happened to the player contents of any of those houses that was used prior to episode 3 going live?  Things that were outside - raw and cooked meat, sticks, coal - ended up in a lost and found box outside the Crossroads store.  Pretty much everything in the area that was outside and player-related seemed to do so, but since the Crossroads House on the "North" side was removed there was no place for a lost and found box to be put for interior player-related contents. 

I understand about 0% things not surviving in lost and found, but I do recall I had a fair assortment of tools, cured hides, cured guts, clothing items, etc. stashed in the Crossroads house and it is a disappointment if they just went *poof*. 

In the Lost and Found box outside the PV farmstead I unexpectedly found about 20 arrows.  I can't remember dropping or storing them or seeing them lying around.  The condition of them varied greatly.  Could these be arrows that I have fired at animals all around PV and was not able to recover?

• Upvote 1

On 10/27/2019 at 4:25 AM, peteloud said:

In the Lost and Found box outside the PV farmstead I unexpectedly found about 20 arrows.  I can't remember dropping or storing them or seeing them lying around.  The condition of them varied greatly.  Could these be arrows that I have fired at animals all around PV and was not able to recover?

I found a bunch of arrows in a box on the porch at the camp office in ML, and reached the same conclusion. 

There were also a bunch of stones in the box. I’m thinking these were stones I threw at rabbits and never picked up. 

I've just had what may be a a bit of a run-ender with this.  Had explored about 80% of HRV on a survival run prior to ep 3 update.  have just now gone back into HRV, there's a L&F box just outside the cave as you enter the region, full with about 40 kilos of gear that I had previously dropped in little stashes in caves, near ropes etc.  Really don't want to lug it all back piece by piece to re lay the depots, especially if the same thing happens when there's another update in Dec.  Anyone got any ideas how I can better depot gear to avoid this happening again?  I had a few issues in MT & PV on the same run, but this was mainly meat I'd dropped outside buildings to try and make it keep better.  As most places you would depot in these regions have buildings and containers, the rest of my gear was ok.

After finding a load of arrows in a L&F box in PV, I raced off to ML hoping to find more in a L&F box there,  (I'm in a long Stalker run and desperately struggling to find birch saplings to make arrows).   I didn't find any arrows. 

I too leave the resources I collect carefully spread around the regions so in emergencies I should be able to find a shelter stocked with useful supplies.  Having them replaced in a L&F box means it's a big job re-stocking these shelters with emergency supplies.

However I appreciate the efforts that Hinterland make and that there inevitably are difficulties when they make major changes to the game, so I try and not become irritated.

Just wanted to echo peteloud's comments re: not being too irritated- the L&F is after all Hinterland trying to resolve an issue.  Personally, if I raise things or report a bug it's because I know they will at least consider solving it.  I appreciate there may be technical issues beyond my ken that mean this particular problem can't be fully fixed right now.

Like most others I had mini bases and caches carefully set up across all maps in caves etc.

These are all now amalgamated in to the "lost and found boxes" that contain 100's of Kgs of gear.

All of the ruined food at these bases is gone.

I appreciate that this was an attempt to preserve our gear but I'd have preferred to just be told which areas were to be affected and to clear those out.

I guess at least it gives me something to do to restock the mini bases / caves across the maps...

On 10/30/2019 at 10:36 PM, Dr. S. said:

There were also a bunch of stones in the box. I’m thinking these were stones I threw at rabbits and never picked up. 

Lol! I had to laugh at one Lost & Found I had in CH... like 18 stones in it. I don;t generally throw stones at bunnies, but it was an old save. I have to guess some of the stones were ones I used in deterring wolves, not just bunnies, and never picked up after chucking them at wolves and running like heck. I took everything else out of the red box, and left the stones there. :) 

• Like 1

I went to Spence's Forge to make some arrowheads.  My heavy hammer was gone and I couldn't find a Lost & Found box with it, so I couldn't make any arrowheads. I'm sure it will be somewhere  The place was full of nasty wolves giving me a hard time.

I went on to Broken Railroad, with much difficulty, found a red box at the maintenance shed and another at the hunting lodge but many of the things I thought would be there weren't.  I can't be sure the game was at fault because I couldn't remember exactly what I had left there, but I felt sure that there should have been some food.  Now I'm nearly starving.  It's not my day 🙁

On Timberwolf, I found a lost and found box in the Mountaineer hut which contained what I assume was all the things, excepting 0% food items, that had been on the snow outside the interior caves and in the non-transition caves. Stuff inside interior caves (caves with transitions) was intact as I don't think those caves were modified. I kind of though this might be the case (lost and found) after I found the changelog that said it had been applied to all regions. 

UTC-10,

That gives me an idea.  I left two heavy hammers somewhere on Timberwolf Mountain, but can't remember where.  If I go to the Mountaineers Hut I might find them in a red box there.

However, I'm not sure that I can be bothered.  After playing TLD a great deal, 3,000+ game days, and greatly enjoying it, after the latest changes and bugs I no longer enjoy the game.  I feel a bit disloyal, and defeatist, but I have better things to do than be constantly irritated and spending hours bashing away and not enjoying it.