Finally Trying for Faithful Cartographer...

ManicManiac

I finally to Pleasant Valley today, I did bring some charcoal with me to see if the previous trouble spots would map.  While most of the areas affected do map in the current version, the Abandoned Mine icon still doesn't show on the overview map.  It did eventually show up on the zoomed in (detailed view), by climbing up a bit higher next to it.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Tomorrow I'll get on with the task of getting settled into the Community Hall and start to work on mapping the rest of the region.  Hopefully that will only take a couple of in-game weeks, but we'll see.  Pleasant Valley weather is pretty effective at slowing me down. :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

Pleasant Valley weather is pretty effective at slowing me down. :D

Yeah that was not a a fun region to map.  I ended up just committing to a nomadic lifestyle.  Even though Molly's is a central location on the map, the map is large enough that it's STILL a lot of walking.  Only to have a mapping run cut short by a blizzard or eight.

• Like 1

@ajb1978

Yeah, you're not kidding.  My previous attempts at this particular little challenge of mine always resulted in Pleasant Valley taking significantly longer than planned.  Particularly in conjunction with just how much area there is to cover.  Pleasant Valley is the reason I started pace counting to try and get as much as I could out of every piece of charcoal.  :D

I might just take a few days just do some light scavenging and gather up sticks/branches.  I was thinking if I start a couple of long burns early on as I'm getting settled, I can gather up a bigger pile of charcoal to map my through relatively quickly.  Though I suppose my tendency to want to consolidate resources also adds a lot of time trekking back and fourth... I may have to think about that some more.  I suppose I could save some time by just setting up and cataloging a little cache at each major location, and use the Journal to note where I left things.

I suppose it feels like I'm chomping at the bit to finish "re-mapping" the regions I'd already completed in the previous three attempts.  Especially when I consider that I likely would have been completed with it by now, had it not been for my run-ins with those instant kill spots.  I think I just need to remind myself to be patient - and just take it one piece of charcoal at a time.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I've been a little under the weather and I suppose I also took a little bit of a break over the last few days.  As a result, I've not played much TLD.  I'll admit having to re-map these regions has felt more daunting than previously (mainly because I know I've completed them three other times already).  Taking a break to play something else I think was good... When I fired TLD back up, I was really looking forward to it.   

I've spent the last few game-days just collecting sticks/branches, and snatching up more rabbits as I come across them.  I still have maybe a day's worth of rabbit meat left, as well as the venison from the ravaged deer carcass I found.  I knew if I was going to successfully resist eating any "found food" and manage to keep it all in reserve I was going to have to bolster my meat stores.

I'm contemplating getting the attention of the wolf across the river, and luring it back behind Thompson's Crossing.  Yesterday there were five deer back there (it's the most deer I've seen in one place in this game).  :D  I think I'm going to have a reluctant hunting partner here in Pleasant Valley just like I did at Crystal Lake.  If I can manage to get two deer from the wolf that should set me up really nicely, and to make sure I can harvest in peace... I'll make sure it's chowing down on at one of the other three.  Fair is fair... if the wolf will let take two of it's kills, I'll happily see to it the wolf's belly is full as well (I take two, it has three more in easy range).

I have over 500 sticks now.  I think I'll do one long burn, and then work on keeping my wood stores built up.  I'd like to be able to do as many long burns as I need with out having to delay too much to do more gathering.  Considering I have nearly three days worth stocked away, I should be able to keep on top of it just by picking up whatever loose twigs I find while I walk. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I experienced something rather odd today...

Before I committed to a 24 hour "long burn."  As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I thought I would try to persuade the wolf to help me bag a couple of deer.  This did not work out well.  It seems the area behind Thompson's Crossing is just too open, the wolf couldn't seem to get within striking distance and the deer were consistently able to bound away much faster than the wolf in it's "stalking gate."  I was in the process of flushing the herd of five over towards the wolf so it could make a strike... but I found that the wolf had disappeared.  I back tracked all the way back to the other side of the bridge, only to find that the wolf was nowhere to found.  My only conclusion is that it must have de-spawned.  I mean I even tried to look for it over where wolves were known to spawn in other runs (though none have spawned there in this run as of yet) and found more nothing.

Apart from that, I just focused on gathering up more charcoal.  I decided to use both the fireplace and the 6 burner stove (I was also considering using the fire-barrel outside - but I thought a "triple burn" might be a bit overkill).  I was able to get my modest meat reserves cooked, and also cooked up the canned goods (I'm still not going to eat any of my found food - but I did at least want to get the cooking experience).  It was a rather productive day, though admittedly not exciting.  All my cookable food is cooked, I have another 48 charcoal to resume mapping, and I have more than 50 Liters of water stockpiled (I found a third cooking pot in the house next door :D -  I'll have no more worry about hydration during my stay in Pleasant Valley).

Having a bear denning between the Upper Falls and the old "mining road" could make mapping that area a bit tricky.  Perhaps I will just take that bear... that would get me a pelt I will eventually need, and more than enough meat to make sure all my found food stays in reserve.  I'll have to think on that some more...

In the mean time, I think tomorrow I will map along the ridge line up to Pensive Pond.  I could use more lamp oil.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
Edited to correct mistakes
  • Upvote 2

I woke up this morning and had to wait through a blizzard.  Which is fine, that I generally save all the extra clothes I find for just such an occasion.  Right as I finished breaking down the last of it, the storm cleared.  It still early in the afternoon, but I still lost a lot of daylight waiting around.

I did do a little goating behind the gas station... the odd bits near the edge of the map were really bothering me so I decided to clean it up a little bit.  The bad news is that I ended up wasting nearly 10 pieces of charcoal while mucking about with that damn hill and cliff side. :D

I made it up to Pensive Pond in a reasonably short amount of time (considering I was mapping along the way).  I was hoping to find some fishing tackle so I didn't have to make any... but no such luck.  I was going to stop my mapping progress at Cascade Falls and the bridge in front of it.  However as luck would have it, as I was making my way back towards the bridge I turned and noticed a moose grazing just between Pensive Pond and the river.  I wanted to head back and grab my rifle (there's no way I was going pass up on taking a second moose pelt, plus enough meat to make the rest of may stay here rather leisurely), but as I was thinking about it... a second blizzard hit.

Now I'm hole up in the cave right near Cascade Falls... the good news is there aren't any bones in this cave.  Thanks to the blizzard, I have a feeling I may miss the chance to take this moose.  I suppose it's possible that the moose isn't far enough away to despawn as a result of the blizzard... so maybe I will get a chance after this storm abates.  I'll just have to see how it goes. 

• Upvote 2

I was able to wait out the storm in the cave beside Cascading Falls.  I ended up taking a bit of a gamble on the temperature, but I pressed it anyway (opting to tough it out without a fire).  After the storm cleared I was halfway to freezing.  I knew I needed to head back to someplace warm and do it quickly.  I decided I would swing past Pensive Pond to check for Moose, them make haste back to the Community Hall.

Much to my surprise, the Moose didn't seem to mind the blizzard.  He was still there next to Pensive Pond grazing with impunity.  At that moment, I knew I needed to scout the path back (just to reconnoiter a route that's clear enough on either side to haul the potential bags of meat and such).  Since I was stuck rather unexpectedly by the storm, I'd spent the night in that cave, but without food.  This was a bit of a problem because my fatigue penalty was sitting at about a hefty 40%.  This would not be ideal for hunting, I was going to have to remedy this the best I could if I was going to be steady enough to land clean shots.  I grabbed a small venison steak, my riffle, and set out on my hunt.

I made my way back up to Pensive Pond as quickly as I could.  I ran a little bit up the hill on the road (just to try and mitigate the sprain risk), but I split off at the Picnic Area to take more direct route to the fishing hut on the pond.  As I approached the hut, I got eyes on the Moose but I was already too tired want to risk taking a shot.  I decided to eat my deer steak and get about 4 hours sleep.  This way I would be rested enough to keep relatively steady, but there would still be enough daylight to hunt, process, and maybe even make a couple of hauls to take meat back to the community center.

I woke later in the afternoon and stepped out to start my hunt in earnest.  As I made my way towards the pavilion behind the lake.  I wanted to swing wide and approach in such a way as to get the moose between me and the pond.  I figured that way if the first shot didn't put him down, he would either charge me or run further out on the pond (in either case, I would be set for a second shot).  As I approached the bench and began to make my wide arch around, I saw the fog rolling in and very quickly became very dense.  That only served to make my hunt more dangerous...

I could hear the moose near by on the far side of the large rock formation at the edge of the pond.  Not being able to keep an eye on him, I got low and began stalking slowly though the densely opaque fog.  I could only really use the nearest trees and the sound of the moose to try and work myself into position.  Once I got around closer to the front of the pond, I could hear it's heavy hooves on the ice and then immediately crunching in the snow.  I had a pretty good idea where he was relative to the large rock formation and the fishing hut, but I still couldn't see him.  I continued to creep closer towards the sound of the moose scraping at the ground with it's hoof.  I would stop sharp when I heard him start moving again, straining hard to try and make out his shape in the fog.  I knew I was close, but I couldn't be exactly sure how close.

I heard the moose stop to scrape at the ground some more, so I began again to creep towards the sound.  After a few more steps I saw the faint hazy form of moose antlers and the vague suggestion of the body behind it.  This was it... this was the shot I wanted.  The pond behind him and me directly ahead of him.  I crept a couple steps closer.  As he put his head down again to graze; I raised the rifle and aimed right at it's brow between the antlers.  As the shot rang out I immediately began to back peddle (still crouched), I had to be ready for a charge...

The shot struck true, but I guess not critically.  As the empty casing dropped to the snow, the Moose turned and fled out on the ice.  I grabbed up my casing, and continued creeping forward.  I heard the moose clamoring across the ice, crying out in panic.  I'd hoped to put him down quickly, but I suppose I still have yet to one-shot a moose.  As I made my way to the shore along the edge of the pond could barely make out it's outline.  Tense and anxious I continued to stalk forward.  It was walking near the rock formation across the ice towards me.  Suddenly I saw it's head drop down and heard the angry call.  I snapped in with the riffle, it's nose just "covered" by the front site tip... I quickly squeezed the trigger.

He dropped quickly, the second shot had finished the job.

I wasted no time, I picked up my spent casing and commenced to quartering the beast.  I lined up the nine backs of meat into groups of three, and I quickly grabbed up all the gut & the pelt.  As I finished organizing the bags of moose meat, I noticed that the fog was lifting as quickly as it had set in.  The by the time I was back at the Picnic Area, the sky was clear (with the stars out and the sun just beginning to set).  I have a feeling it's going to be an aurora night...

I'm not sure if I should try to make one more trip to haul back three bags of meat... or just rest a bit and see if I can collect another buffer memory.
Either way, it's a day of mapping lost... but it was worth it.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I decided to play it safe and wait until the next morning to go try and haul all the moose meat back to the Community Hall.  I took a few short naps but there was no aurora.  Not really a worry though, I'll collect buffer memories if I get the opportunity but that's not really part of this particular personal challenge.

When morning came I did scout my route back to Pensive pond (there was one wolf along the way that I knew I'd need to be careful of, but all in all the route was clear.  It took three trips to Pensive Pond, but I have all the meat moved.  Soon after I unloaded the last haul, a blizzard set in.  Which was fine, I just spent the time processing three bags of moose meat.

It will probably take a couple of days to get it all carved up and cooked.  After that though, I should be able to just focus on getting the mapping done.

I also think I'm going to add another small proviso to my personal challenge...  Since I took one moose on Timberwolf Mountain and one moose on Pleasant Valley, I think I will limit myself to only one large-game hunt per-region until the mapping task is completed.  I can't imagine why I would need more than one bear or moose whilst working on mapping anyway.

At this point I have all the moose pelts I'll need, so I doubt very much I will take any more moose.  However I will eventually need a total of 4 bear pelts, but there are many regions left to go. :)

• Upvote 2

It's day 58 (but feels like it's been nine months :D).

I got through processing and cooking the moose meat.  It did only take one 24 hour burn to get it all taken care of (I have a lot of water stocked in reserve now as well).  The other benefit is that it gave me another 48 charcoal to work with.  I know that having 70 charcoal will not be enough, but with an effective pace count I should be able to stretch it and at least be able to get the bottom half of the map completed.

The next day, I decided to take a long loop around signal hill.  I'd brought about 20 pieces of charcoal and figured I would start mapping again from the other side of Cascading Falls.  I did touch up a couple spots along the back-road leading to Cascading Falls.  I nearly missed the Cave (the one leading to Winding River), but I did eventually go back for it after I'd already mapped out by the Hunter's Blind & the Hilltop Cave and realized I'd passed it.  By the time I made it down the hill and finished mapping the Long Curve... it had gotten very dark and very snowy.  I was also down to just three pieces of charcoal.  I decided to head back to the Community Hall to sleep and grab another load of charcoal for the next day.

The next morning I was back out again... this time I mapped up the road back to Long Curve (pace counting is coming in very handy).  I did stop off along the way to map the Lower Falls and the Barn near the Heartbreak Bridge.  Once I near the Long Curve, I decided to take slope (or as I call it - the safer way) up to Signal Hill.  I got the hillside mapped and gathered up supplies.  By the time I got that done, I opted to spend the night there on Signal Hill and returned to the Community Hall the next morning.  Along the way back I did spot a bear in the orchard near the Pleasant Valley Farmstead.  That one must be denned across the road near the climb up the other side of Signal Hill.  I'll be back to map out that area along with the Farmstead tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Well, I was able to finish the bottom half of the map, but not without a couple of blizzards to slow things down (as well as one silly mistake that will really cost me in the long run). 

The stupid mistake came rather early.  I'd taken off my outer most layers (as they had been completely drenched and a little frozen from the day before) to dry let them hopefully dry out a little faster.  When I went out the next morning, I apparently missed putting my wool mittens back on.  As I was finishing up the area just down and along the hillside from Pensive pond, I was informed I had frost bite.  Which I thought was odd since I didn't remember even seeing a frost bite risk warning.  I did immediately check my clothing and sure enough, I'd been running around for hours outside without gloves.  While it's not a huge set back... it will mean I have that much less condition to risk on those occasions I need to risk it.  Needless to say I was pretty upset with myself for doing such a boneheaded thing.  I've got no one to blame but myself, I clearly became reliant on habit and became a little complacent.  It was certainly a wake up call.  :D

I was able to work my way over to the area just below Signal Hill, I wanted to see if I could stop the bear's den.  I also had to mark that cave on the map anyways.  Much to my surprise, there's no bear denning there.  By this time it was getting dark and very very foggy, so I opted to just settle in for the night.  I'd picked up more than enough sticks should the weather turn bad.  Sleeping only two hours at a time, I made it through without needing a fire.  I was going to have to head back for more food and water, but I decided to make my way up the slope and finish off the couple of small hills behind the Signal Hill tower.  However, by the time I made it up the slope the weather was quickly getting worse.  I ended up running for the tower to try and beat the storm.  For the most part I managed to get there before it became a full whiteout... unfortunately I had no more food or water.  I had to hope that the storm passed relatively soon.  That wasn't going to happen though.

It was very nearly an 18 hour storm.  It wasn't until the morning of the next day before the storm lifted.  I knew I needed to head back right away to recover, but I didn't want the trip to be in vein.  I did end up mapping out the two small hills just over by the first bend coming away from Signal Hill, but then I knew I just needed to make haste back to the Community center.  Since I knew there was no bear denning below, I opted to take a more direct route to the road.  Once I got to the road, I only stopped to pick up sticks along the way, but was able to make it safely back to the Community Hall.  My condition was somewhere in the range of 30%.  It was quite an interesting couple of days. :D

Note to self: check all gear before going out... do it every single time.
Also, always have at least 2L of water before going out (I opted for less when water wasn't as well stocked but there's no excuse for not taking enough for two days now).

I'm nearly out of charcoal again, so I'll need to focus on gathering up sticks for another long burn.  Perhaps I might consider a triple this time, but nearly 600 sticks is a lot to burn in just 24 hours.  :D  Oh well, better to have more charcoal at my disposal to try and get this mapping task done with as few interruptions as possible.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

You know, I've never played a game where even the simple act of burning sticks was so satisfying. :D

The sun came out that morning, so I was finally able to use that magnifying glass I found when I arrived in Pleasant Valley.  I did end up setting up three fires: the 6 burner stove, the fireplace in the main room, and the fire barrel over by the swing set (in retrospect I should have just use the burn barrel behind the Rural Store).  It was nice to be able to stay outside for very nearly the whole day, and just sit next to the fire barrel when I needed to get warm. 

I did notice one odd occurrence as I was out gathering up some more sticks (I have to start building up for the next long burn after all :D).  When I was breaking up a branch, of in the distance I saw a wolf milling around (I didn't think much of it), but when I was done breaking down the branch the wolf was running around at high speed.  I also was suddenly aware of three more wolves, all moving at an exhilarated rate.  It almost looked like I witnessed the pack spawn in but then was "lagging" and continued moving as though time was speed up (perhaps trying to synchronize with the time compression event?).  It only lasted for a few seconds but it was very odd to see wolves running around as though they were in a Benny Hill skit.  In the past I've noted wildlife to "remain still" during "accelerated events" or later as patches came out the animals would accelerate along with the rest of the world while the event was taking place... but I've only ever seen this particular phenomenon only once before.  I'm not sure if this was a small bug or if I just saw the game doing something that generally is only supposed to happen "off camera."  In either case, it's not really an issue... but I thought it was worth mentioning. :)

After I'd gathered up my charcoal (70 in total), I decided to head up along what I tend to refer to as the "river road" heading back up towards the top of the map.  I figure I would map all the way up to the Abandoned Preper Cache and work my way across the "upper shelf."  Hopefully I will be able to get the entire distance mapped out before having to restock charcoal again, or at the very least make it as far as Three Strikes Farmstead.  It took a day (mainly due to weather) but I made it up to the Abandoned Preper Cache.  I may take a run back to the Community Hall to drop off supplies I've scrounged up, and also to grab a few more days worth of meat and water.  If I get stuck up there I want  to make sure I'm prepared.  I really want to make this hard push to Three Strikes in one hike.  Going back to drop off and restock will probably cost me a day... but if it can set me up to spend about three days up there then I suppose that's worth it. 

I've gotten a lot better at spotting wolves before they become a problem, I'm on day 66 now and so far I've not been caught in a struggle with any predators.  :D My "avoid & evade" tactics have been honing up nicely :D

I just want to hurry up and get done so I can move on to Coastal Highway.  Until I make it back to Mystery Lake, I'm still retreading my previous attempts... I'd really like to start making real progress again (but I still have to get through the Old Island Connector, Desolation Point, and Raven Falls Ravine before that happens).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I opted to run a little "risky" yesterday.   I did make it back to the Community Hall to drop off & resupply.  This time however I choose to grab three moose steaks.  I knew that would put me over the threshold.   Now showing one sent indicator I knew I'd have to be even more vigilant while traveling back up to the Abandoned Cache.  I was able to make it rather quickly and without incident.  I opted to follow the river up towards the bend near the"river cave" (for lack of a better name) and that's where split off up the shore to get back on the road near the Derelict Cabins.  I did scout the route, by climbing up the rock formation just above the River Cave... much to my surprise it was all clear.  I was able to march up to Point of Disagreement unhindered.  However I did spot a wolf prowling along the rock formation right next to it, so I did take a wider route around to the Abandoned Cache.

At this point I was going to drop all the moose meat and get ready to hunker down for the nigh... but then I noticed is only early afternoon. :D  With that I decided I would pick up my moose meat and head out to get as far as I could before dark.  Pace counting helped out a lot.  I was able to get all the way over to the hill just above the Three Strikes Farmstead, although by that time it was getting rather dark and the snow getting heavier.  I decided to move on to the cave on the other side of the field adjacent to the homestead.  The wind was picking up but I was exhausted so I did my best to walk to the cave as directly as possible.  Right as I set foot in the lee of the cave opening a blizzard hit. :D  I had to laugh at the very fortuitous timing.

I got my rest by taking several naps though out the night (2 hour intervals), I didn't want to get caught by a severe temperature drop.  The next morning I mapped the cave and along the ridge leading back over to the Three Strikes Farmstead.  The sun was shinning (not a common occurrence in Pleasant Valley - at least not in this run) so I took advantage and lit a fire in the barrel at the old shed/barn.  I thought it would be a good idea to just use the one can I decided to bring with me to replenish a little bit of water so I could extend my hike a little longer if necessary.  The area was clear of wolf activity, so I decided to replenish the food I'd eaten the night before.  Thanks to the near by fire-barrel, I was able to harvest the deer by hand.  While the venison was cooking, I went back over to the cave and dropped off the pelt and guts to cure (noted in my Journal).

With that completed I was completely restocked again.  I had a little bit more than 3L of water and three steaks (meaning that my travels were going to continue to be dodgy :D).  I think I'll double back and finish mapping the upper shelf (heading back past Skeeter's Ridge, the Wreckage, and the various lofty rock formations) and then back again towards Three Strikes; only this time mapping down the shore past the Draft Dodger's Cabin.  I mean I have food for three more days and something like 40 more charcoal... I may as well push this hike as far as it can go.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
corrections.
  • Upvote 1

The hike around to finish up mapping along the river bank and stopping by the Draft Dodger's Cabin went smoothly, and (with the exception of one blizzard) was relatively uneventful.

I am however out of charcoal.

I will likely have to spend a couple days gathering up sticks again and do another long burn.  This time around, I think I will use all four fireboxes in the area.  Since I do kind of want to try and get all possible resources represented on the map... I've not been the most efficient I could be with my mapping progress.  I do still need to get up to Skeeter's Ridge and the near by wreckage.  After that I'll be done with the upper shelf, then I only need to finish the middle stretch from the Pleasant Valley Farmstead over to the Pleasant Valley Outbuildings.

Hopefully I'll be able to gather up the sticks necessary for a 4x long burn... I have a feeling that 92-96 charcoal won't be enough, but we'll see. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

The long burn was uneventful, though I did tempt fate a little bit.  :D

The evening before, I'd finished gathering all the sticks I would need and after filling up 8 of the cabinets in the Community Hall, I decided to head up to the cave on "river road" and retrieve the deer pelt and gut that I left there to cure.  I was able to avoid the wolves along the way, but while returning to the Community Hall an angry blizzard quickly set in.  I was already exhausted by then, so running was out of the question.  I kept my line of sight towards the Community Hall so I was able to find my way.  I had a rather narrow path to follow but thankfully I was able to stay on course & not run afoul of any wolves.

The next morning I woke early and got the four fires started that I wanted to tend over the next 24 hours (the two in the Community Hall, one by the Church, and one by the Rural Store).  Since all four are "wind proof" I knew I only really had to get back before the initial 12 hours worth of burn time expired.  In the meantime (considering I had nothing that needed cooking and all the water I think I'll need for the remainder of my stay in PV) I decided to trek back to the cave near Three Strikes Farmstead to pick up the other Deer pelt and guts I'd left to cure there.  I suppose there was no real need to do that (considering I still have to map that area anyway), but I didn't want to just hang around the Community Hall all day either.  :D ...so I opted to make haste on the round trip and see if I could make it back before my fires burned out.  I wasn't worried about the outdoor fires since those enjoy a little bit of a boost (though not much of one... my fire starting skill is only level 2 at this point).  However, I knew I had a very strict time table for my two indoor fires.

It was a hard press... but all-in-all a very peaceful hike.  The weather stayed remarkably clear (for Pleasant Valley) and along the way I did pick up some of the gear and supplies that I found outside of locations I plan to prospect much more thoroughly when I return to map them.  I figured in the meantime I would just grab whatever I could quickly gather up while on the way through.  Fortunately I did make good time.  When I returned to the Community Hall, I had a little more than an hour of burn time on my two indoor fires.

I finished off the evening by building up my fires again... gathering up the extra sticks to get a head start on the next stock pile, and slept well the through the rest of the night.

:) It was a pretty good day... though admittedly not too exciting.       *but I don't mind, I know I'll have plenty of those waiting ahead.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

:D This is the third time in a row that I've found the Prepper Cache at Skeeter's Ridge.

I did make an extra trip back to haul the foodstuffs I found there, but I did leave three pieces of moose steak (and the 12 L of water I found there) so I can have what I need for an extensive hike to finish up the last bit of Pleasant Valley.  I will still need to prospect the Farmstead and Outbuildings, but other than that... once this last hike is done, the mapping task for Pleasant Valley will be completed.

I will take a day or so to mend and organize, then it's off to Coastal Highway and one step closer to finally making positive progress again :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I finished mapping the "upper shelf," and I've picked over all of the wreckage.  I did drop off all my hiking provisions on the porch of the Pleasant Valley Farmstead.  I also committed to scavenging through the Farmhouse and the Barn, taking all those supplies back to the Community Hall.  All I have left to do is map from the Farmstead over towards the Long Curve.

• Upvote 1

I completed mapping Pleasant Valley today.  :D

I've spent the last few game days reading all the skill books I've found, recycling all the excess clothing, started work on mending the clothes I want to keep, and beginning to organizing my supplies.  During this, I noticed that I'd gotten risk of cabin fever (first time in this run so far :D).  While I was reading and breaking down clothing, there was a blizzard very nearly everyday.  When I got the notification of cabin fever risk, I figured the storms had blown themselves out... I figured I could make a quick run up to the Burned Ridge Cave to pick up the deer pelt and water I left up there.  I knew it would be an over night trip so I did take one moose steak with me (I figured I could make it back easily the next morning).

I was very wrong. :D

I made it up to the cave and a blizzard hit during the night... I should have known that was a bad sign but since it cleared up before sun up, I didn't pay it much mind (other than making sure I didn't start freezing).  The next morning I ate my moose steak and went over to the Misty Falls Picnic Area because I realized I'd not yet explored that cave.  I'm really glad I did because I found a bow and another rifle while prospecting through both sections.  However, while I was on the way back to the Community Hall... yet another blizzard hit.

Pleasant Valley is definitely trying to make up for any kindness it's shown me on this run. :D
Since I was only anticipating a one day hike... I've now lost my well fed buff as I sit here hunkered down in the "river road" cave.
I knew better... my general rule is to keep two days of food on me, which I ignored.  Oh well, I'll still need a few game days to finish getting things organized so I'll have my well fed buff back by the time I'm ready to move on through the Abandoned Coal Mine on the way to Coastal Highway. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

I made it back to the Community Hall easily enough.  I am still kicking myself for loosing my well fed buff, but at the end of the day I'll probably spend the better part of three game days getting everything organized and setup for my return after all my mapping tasks are completed.

I think after I'm done mending them, I'll leave my back up clothing out on the floor near one of the beds.  I figure at least this way if I'm gone for a very long time I won't have to worry about it ruining in a container... :D 

Once I have my gear and supplies organized I'll head out to Coastal Highway via the Abandond Mine (Cinder Hills Coal Mine).  As per usual I will only leave with only my "bare essentials kit."

• Upvote 1

At day 100 I'm finally ready to leave Pleasant Valley.  I've seen so much of PV in these last two runs that I'm really glad to be moving on to Coastal Highway. :D

Even including one fully loaded rifle and 51 pieces of charcoal in tow, I had enough inventory space to fully scavange my way through the Cinder Hills Coal Mine and lug all it's contents down to my chosen "main encampment."  The way was surprisingly clear.  I took careful note of the wolves out on the ice, but I was able to map my way down to the Fishing Village without incident.  I took the rest of the day to get settled in and gather up all the gear and supplies in the area.  I even managed to find two more tin cans along the way (which is great considering I left my cans and cooking pots behind when I left Pleasant Valley).

The very next morning I knew I'd have to prioritize water and food (I've still managed to not eat any found food stuffs - keeping it all in reserve for emergency and for "easy living" after I'm done with all my mapping tasks. :D

The only reason I took a rifle with me is because I wanted to prioritize taking one bear.  I'm still committed to only allowing myself one "large game hunt" per region until I have the pelts I need for my heightened version of "Wrapped in Furs."  Since I took one moose in both Timberwolf Mountain and Pleasant Valley... all other moose I find on Great Bear are now safe.  I do still need a total of four bear pelts, so I'd planed on hunting a bear very early in my stay in Coastal Highway.

As fate would have it, later that morning, in between moving and organizing supplies in the four cabins... a bear happened to be skulking though the Fishing Village!  I admit I panicked. :D  I quickly managed a head shot, but instead of standing my ground when it charged... I did duck into the cabin again.  This was apparently a mistake.  When I came back out the bear was gone.  I checked my stats, and the shot struck true...but apparently was not fatal.  I set out to find my quarry, but I did not see it anywhere in the immediate area.  I assumed the bear most likely came from the possible den over near the Bear Creek Campground.  I made my way up the hill cautiously, but after scouring and mapping out the area... there was no trace of the bear.

I was beginning to think I'd wasted the shot... but as I was making my way back down to the Fishing Village, I spotted the bear ambling up the road coming back towards my location.  I was determined not to loose the chance a second time.  I crouched down in front of the door of the cabin closest to the road (of that row of three cabins I mean, not the one actually next to the road).  As the bear passed by it spotted me.  I was determined to stand my ground this time.  The first head shot, apparently wasn't enough... but I managed a second head shot while it was charging in for the kill.  This time the bear went down, and just about a meter in front of me.  :D

I couldn't have asked for a more continent spot to quarter and begin processing.  I'm kicking myself a little bit for getting caught off guard, I should have held my ground and took a second shot the first time.  However, I suppose three bullets is still worth it considering that I should now have all the food I need to sustain me while I get the mapping for Coastal Highway done.

All-in-all, it was a really great day. :)
Over the next two days I was able to build up a small supply of water, and enough of the meat cooked up to last me a good week.  Since I hit Cooking 5 while I was getting things tidied up in preparation for leaving PV, I'm just going to cook up the meat as necessary (as opposed to trying to cook it en mass - plus the Fishing Hut near by only has one burner :D).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

Another really good day... all though the next one ended in some torn clothing. :D

So far I'm still using the charcoal I brought with me from PV, and I've gotten half of the locations I need mapped... as well as about a quarter of the region mapped in it's entirety.  It's really nice to not have to traipse around such a large region.  The smaller regions will map out relatively quickly.  I think last time I fully mapped Coastal Highway it only took about 14 game days... so hopefully it will go as well this time around.

I managed to get from the Rock Slide way up to Rabbit Cove in just one afternoon.  The next day I was able to finish the upper area from the Ravine entrance to the Train Unloading area and down the some of the mid-level trailers.  However when I was on the log bridge making my way down a wolf managed to catch my sent from all the way up on top of a rock overhang... I thought that was odd considering my elevation relative to the wolf (that's some mighty good pathfinding they have now :D).  I ended up getting off the rock and running back across the log bridge only to have to scoot down the underside to get a way.  I tried to pitch a few stones, but they must have took some funny bounces because I could swear at lest one hit the wolf... but to no effect.  Anyways, scooting down the underside of the bridge is where I ended up dropping a little farther than I intended, which resulted in the torn clothes I mentioned.  So while I still have managed not to get into a wildlife struggle yet in my 105 days so far, I will still need to do some mending after that short fall.

I'm going to have to practice up with throwing stones the next time I'm out on the ice.  I clearly need to re-hone that particular skill. :D

• Upvote 2

Nearly finished with Coastal Highway (about two thirds by my estimation).  All that's really left is the stretch from the Abandoned Lookout down to the Commuter's Lament.  This is still a fairly lengthy sprawl, given the terrain... and I'll likely need to do a long burn to gather up a little more charcoal to finish it up.  I'm looking forward to moving on to the Old Island Connector and Desolation Point in relatively short order.  :)  Provided I can continue to avoid tragic setbacks.

I've had a couple notable setbacks in this run, but neither were too bad.  I spoke already of the frostbite I have to live with (due to a careless oversight involving mittens :D), and the other was one bout of food poisoning (though having ample supply of antibiotics, it thankfully wasn't much trouble at all).

I do still have to gather up supplies along the way, and that alone will likely add another day or two... but the mapping itself will only be slowed by a need for more charcoal.  Having successfully hunted that bear on the first day in the region has been supremely helpful.  I have no worries for food, but so far I've only found some recycled cans (making my water supply still a bit of a concern.  However, since I will have to do a long burn for charcoal, I'll be able to bolster my water supply at the same time.

• Upvote 2

I didn't get much of a chance to map today, but I did do a little poking around at the Log Sort (I'd mapped it previously, but I hadn't yet prospected the two structures there).  Much to my good fortune, I found a cooking pot in the cabin.  Water production will no longer be of concern.  The timing of the find is also really fortunate as I was also down to my last litter of water. :D

Tomorrow I plan to setup a few long burns in the Fishing Huts near by, but I will also setup one campfire in a reasonably protected spot.  I'll use coal for the Fishing Huts, but for the campfire I'll just be using sticks.  I figure I can use the campfire to either keep two recycled cans producing potable water... or perhaps cook up another week's worth of food.  In either case I figure the coal is better served in fireboxes what are wind-proof.  This way if the wind blows the wrong way all I'd be wasting are sticks.

Made almost no progress today... but I only had about 20 minutes to play. :D 

• Upvote 2

I setup for two 24 hour fires in the nearby Fishing Huts.  I took advantage of the lifting fog that morning to save on some matches; managing to use my magnifying lens once the sun came out.  I wanted to get as much done at once as possible, so I also setup a campfire right near the doorway (of the side facing the shore).  It wasn't very well protected but when the wind did eventually pick up, I would just nurse the fire one stick at a time so I didn't loose any burn time in the event it became "wind blown."  Throughout the day I used the potbelly stove (with my one cooking pot) for boiling water, and the campfire for cooking up another week or so of bear meat.

It was mostly a quiet day, though some heavy snow did start coming down from mid-morning through to late that evening.  I was anticipating a blizzard, but thankfully the weather remained mild.  That night, after I build the fires back up for another 12 hours and aurora showed up.  I'd manage to get an hour nap before hand, and when I woke to the aurora at full strength I decided to venture back to the Fishing Village and collected a buffer memory.  I decided to press my luck a little bit, so I went back to the hut and put on a fresh pot to boil and set out go see if the I could get another buffer memory from the cabin up at Rabbit Cove.  The going was slow due to the wind, but the way was clear.  I manage to get the buffer memory and made it back down before my pot of water boiled dry.

When the fires do finally burn out, I should have about 65 charcoal... I think that should be enough to cover mapping the rest of the region.  However, if not... I still have plenty of sticks and coal for more; if absolutely necessary.  I will still have to map along the edge of the thin ice... it would be good to clear away whatever has washed up since last I checked a few days ago.

It's been nice to see Coastal Highway again, though I'm anxious to move on to the Old Island Connector and Desolation Point beyond it.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I've been having some bad luck with wolves today :D

I've still managed to avoid any wildlife struggles so far, but as I was trying top along the high road from the Abandoned Lookout over to the area over looking the Silent Clearing I had to deal with being ambushed twice by wolves.  As I mentioned already, I was able to get away clean both times... but between these two sort of hindering my mapping progress, I didn't very much of the map cleared.  The second wolf actually stayed on my trail as I tried to loose it moving quickly down the hillside.  It wasn't until I had made it all the way down to the road that I finally stopped hearing the menacing snarls.  :D

At that point I just decided to call it day, and try again tomorrow.

Oh, I almost forgot... while trying to evade that second wolf near the switch back, I was also able to locate a third bear active on my map now.
So for Coastal Highway now I have, I think all three of the usual bear dens near: Bear Creek, Misanthrope's Homestead, just above the Coastal Townsite.

I already have my one "large game hunt" for this region... so I'm committed to avoid and evade for the duration of my initial stay here. :D

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Made a second trip around to the upper areas of the region, the wolf on the switchback (on other side of the Abandoned Lookout) was out prowling around but this time I was able to sneak my away through.  I was able to map down to the single house just below the Silent Clearing (I'm leaving the Waterfront Cottages and Commuter's Lament for now).  In the mean time I mapped the thin ice on the way back around on my way back to the Fishing Village to unload the gear and supplies I've gathered up along the way.

Next, I'll map out the rest of the area from the cabins below the Abandoned Lookout and the Coastal Townsite.  I'm eager to clean out the Quonset Garage, but the last few times I've been near there it's been swarming with wolves.  Tomorrow I'll focus on mapping out the last bit of that area, and hopefully sneak though without incident.  I've managed to avoid getting into any struggles with the wolves...  I know I'll get ambushed sooner or later, but I'm trying hard to make it through my 500 days without getting into a "grab and stab."  :D

If all goes well, I should be able to move on to the Old Island Connector in the next day or two... :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 2