Finally Trying for Faithful Cartographer...

ManicManiac

Today was a peaceful day... which is unfortunate because I wanted to hunt a bear. :D

There was an overnight blizzard, but by the time I woke it it had past... it was just snowing pretty heavily.  After I got up, the sun still hadn't fully risen so I did a little bit of mending (I found another bedroll at 3% condition - so I wanted to fix it up as another spare) and ventured out onto Mystery Lake to see if I could find a bear... or at least a den.  Unfortunately there was no den at the far side of the lake. 

I searched a few of the Fishing Huts and the lone cabin (at the far side of the lake).  I didn't get to the other cabins as yet, mainly because there are three wolves prowling around on that patch of ice.  I also checked down the Lake Trail and as far as Dave's Quite Clearing, but nothing there was nothing of interest back there.  As I made my way down to the Rail Tunnel, the weather cleared and gave me a bright sunny day.  I didn't dare pass that up, so I put my hunt on hold and went back to the camp office to drop off all the gear and supplies I'd rounded up so far.  I used my magnifying glass and a stick to start a quick free fire, then used that to light my torch so I could "bring the fire inside." :D

I was down to just 1 liter of water so I decided it was a good time to use the two cooking pots I found in the camp office to stock up on water (besides - it was a "free fire").  I have more then enough sticks for a long burn and I may just do that, I'm going to need the charcoal anyway.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Tomorrow, I'll check out the Trapper's Homestead and the Clearcut... If I can't locate a bear tomorrow, I'll have to start fishing.  I'm still not so bad off that I will let myself start eating my "found foods" reserve, and I haven't harvest a single plant, cattail, or any other resource yet in this run... I'd like to keep it that way for as long as I can.  :)

So far, I have 2 moose and 2 bears... and I can only take 2 more bears.  Hmm, I still have some desolate regions left to go... perhaps I will rethink this a little more.

• Upvote 1

Well, I did decided to call off the bear hunt.  I think I'd like to save my last two bear hunts for Forlorn Muskeg and Hushed River Valley.

I took a day to map around the lake and gather up sticks.

I also spent a day fishing (only about 6 hours of that day, but still it was a good haul).  Of course, when I was done fishing and was on the way back to the Camp Office to drop off and prepare for cooking the next day, the wolves had moved around.  As I made my way across the ice there was a wolf prowling just on the other side of the boulder off to the left side of the hut.  I was tempted to pitch a stone at it (since I was very weighed down with fish), but I was able to talk fast enough to keep a safe distance from the stalking predator.  I was able to make it back and duck into the Camp Office without any trouble.

The next day I gathered up a some more sticks for some extra firewood, and spent the rest of the day cooking and continuing to bolster my water supply.  It looks like food and water will be all set for the next little while.

Now I just need to start branching out and mapping the rest of the region (I do still have a Prepper Cache to find).  Since I won't be hunting, I'll leave the rifle at the Camp Office.  I should be fine with just the four stones in my pocket. :D

I was able to get a couple of Buffer Memories during the night time auroras... I'm not sure how long I'll plan on hanging out in the dam to get more.  I will likely just get what Buffer Memories I can while gathering up gear and supplies.  As I mentioned in the past, I'm not going to worry too much about those until I get my mapping tasks completed (and even then that's a maybe :D).

• Like 1

Today I was able to finish mapping around the lake, down the ropes of the Mystery Lake Overlook, the Forestry Lookout, and the Logging Camp.  It was spaced out over a couple of game-days with a good portion of each reading some of the skill books I've found.

I do need to get some more fishing done, as by now I'm starting to run a bit low on food again.  It's not an urgent priority, since I do have about five days of cooked fish left... but still.  Since my first fishing excursion out on the lake, the wolves have slowly moved up... and now all three are between the Camp Office and the first Fishing Hut.  That's incontinent, but not a real problem.  I can always take the Lake Trail tomorrow and use one of the Fishing Huts on the far side of the lake.  I've noticed something that has raises and eyebrow.  Over the last couple of days, I've saved myself from getting trapped... I would go check to see if the path from the Camp Office to the nearest Fishing Hut is clear, and it was clear.  I mean I'd venture out on the ice just to make sure everything was in visual range, still all clear.  Then, I turn around to look behind me...then when I look back out on the lake, those sly wolves would appear when my back was turned!  Sneaky... :D

I've been tempted to try keeping my eyes on the Fishing Hut and not look away, but I have a feeling that by the time I get past and that patch is behind me... they'd be on my heels.  I might experiment with that tomorrow, so we'll see.

So far I've gotten about half of Mystery Lake mapped, but I'm not going to rush it.  I do need to spend a few day or two stockpiling my fish supply, and I need to start focusing on gathering up 400 - 600 sticks.  I'm already nearly out of charcoal.  The good news is that I need fire to remedy both food and charcoal situations.

I probably won't get too much mapping done tomorrow... it looks like it will need to be mostly survival tasks. :)

• Upvote 1

It's now day 167 :D

I spent three game-days fishing and collecting sticks (though it was briefly interrupted by a blizzard - so I made repairs on an extra pair of Insulated Boots that I'd found at 7% condition from when I was rooting through the Logging Camp).  I did have to mind the wolves, but that wasn't much trouble.  I may need to dedicate another day to gathering more sticks I'd like to get 2 long burns going... I need the charcoal.

It wasn't an exciting session... but it was productive.  I have a good supply of food and water now, so I'll be able to just focus on mapping for a good while.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I was going to take a day to gather sticks, but a thick dense fog persisted all day.  I managed to find my way back out onto the lake via the Lake Trail, I ended up fishing until well after the fog finally lifted.  I spent the next day gathering up nearly 200 sticks, and spent the following day on a long burn (keeping both stoves in the Camp Office burning for 24 hours.  With all the fish cooked up and the lamp oil collected up and stored away, I was finally ready to resume mapping.

Once the fires burned out I gathered up the 48 charcoal, and set out with one day's worth of food and about two days worth of water.  The weather was clear, and I was able to map out the area from Rail Tunnel to the Trapper's Homestead.  I also managed to map out Max's Last Stand (where I noted a bear was prowling around), and on along the bottom edge along the ridge.  It was starting to get late so I back tracked to the Trapper's Homestead to eat and rest for the night.

The following morning I managed to map along the upper part of the ridge heading up to the lone cabin just on the other side of the Unnamed Pond.  From there I stuck to the hilltop and made my way around to path leading up towards the Destroyed Lookout.  I mapped along the edges of the path overlooking the terrain below, as well as at the summit.  I gathered up what I could there and deployed the climbing rope (though I may come back for it later if I decide to head to the Mountain Town region - I haven't decided just where to do after Mystery Lake, I have to think on that some more).

On the way back to the Camp Office I mapped Frozen Creek, but I will have to come back tomorrow to climb up onto and clear the top of that rock formation... but at the moment it was already getting late.  I needed to end the session for today, and it was a good time to head back to my main encampment to eat and rest.

Apart from a quick excursion to finish off the area above the Frozen Creek, I want to make sure to finish mapping from there over to the Unnamed Pond and fill in the gap from there to Clear Cut.  Weather and wildlife permitting, I hope to have Clear Cut and the rest of the upper corner of the map past the Overlook on the back hills done tomorrow.  I'm already down to just 25 charcoal.  I may have to invest another few days to gather up sticks again soon. :D

• Upvote 1

:D  Well, I've nearly completed my Mystery Lake mapping task.   ...and then the update dropped. :D

Tomorrow I'll have to see if/how this has affected my current run.  I will say the improvements to the mapping systems should help me make my charcoal stretch a little farther.

Today  was able to map all the way up to the top of the map (by the Lookout spot on the back hills) all the way down to Clear Cut and over through the logging area near the Logging Camp.  I've got just a little less than a quarter of the map to finish.  I do still need to map from the Derailment up to Carter Hydroelectric Dam and over to the Hunting Blind; as well as the rest of the river.  So far, I've not found "moose sign" in Mystery Lake (I'm hoping I find some - for later on down the road, I mean).

I might need another long burn to gather up more charcoal... but perhaps the new adjustments to the surveying feature, perhaps I will be able to finish it with what I have.  I'll have to see :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I didn't have much time today, but I was able to at least start it up and check to see what my maps look like now.  In some respects the maps are even cleaner (especially around the edges), but there are some odd places that were once clear that are smudged again.  I will go back and do some touch ups, but not until I'm done with the other regions I've not been to yet.  I haven't had time to check to see if the location index updated with respect to the map... or if I will have eventually back track and re-survey each spot again.  That's fine if I end up having to, my main goal for the mapping task is just to have a clean map.  :D

Unfortunately real life stuff has kept me from playing since the update dropped, which is frustrating.  Today I only had about 5 minutes to check to see what the maps looked like and to see which location I might have to revisit and re-survey.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I was finally able to get back to it today. :)

I found a can of spray paint in the Camp Office. :D  I'll have to remember to come back and play around with that sometime.  I don't think it's something I would use, but I think it is a neat option to give the player.  On another note, I've noticed that the journal entry locations have all seemed to update appropriately, so at the very least I know that I won't have to backtrack to make sure those triggers are tripped.  I assumed that would be the case, but I was gratified to see it when I double checked it.

I've also noticed some odd quirks with the new/modified survey system... but I imagine that will continue to get tuned and refined as the next few patches come along.  The one that is most apparent to me comes from my habit to get as high up on ridges as I can (previously to try and "tidy" up the edges of the map), now sometimes reveals some of the territory beyond the "region boundary."  Though, in the next region I will see if just mapping from the general "playable" area (as in no goating required) might address that.  All in all, the additions that I can't turn off or ignore, I've already come to embrace.

:D Since I've been playing around with the mapping systems... I've actually used up a lot more charcoal while experimenting, but I do think that in the end the more consideration of elevation with regard to visible radius (and the fact that the map shows you the "splash" of the area explicitly covered) will go a long way for players that do spend time and resources for mapping. 

I am a bit torn between whether or not it feels easier or seems more reasonable...
As always, I'm generally not in favor of easier, but I do appreciate more richer and more nuanced mechanics, as well as better conveyance of information to the player through those means.

---

As for the rest my session today...
I decided to take a two days off food & water, and hike back to the Logging Camp to establish a temporary encampment to save on travel time.  After dropping off the food and water I was able to map out the edges and area between the Logging Camp and Clear Cut, and all the way over to the railroad bridge (where I finally found some scrapped trees).

I did also goat up to top of the ridge over looking the dam across the way but I was careful to avoid the "instant kill" spot.  I also seem to remember a cairn up in that area, but I didn't see it this time around.  I may have just missed it, but on the other hand that's not really one of my focuses for this run... so I didn't worry about it too much. :D 

At this point it was already getting a bit late, so I headed back to the Logging Camp to bed down for the night.

I think tomorrow, I'll head over along the far edge and get everything from Carter Dam to the Hunter's Blind (and Alan's Cave) mapped out.  Time and charcoal permitting, I'll try to get the rest of the river route to the lake finished up as well.  Beyond that, there are just a few left over spots from the mapping update that left three smudges over by the Mystery Lake Overlook that I'll want to try and touch up before I call the map completed.  I also decided to make a quick trip to map out the Winding River transition zone before making the final decision on whether to do Forlorn Muskeg and Broken Railroad, or Mountain Town and Hushed River Valley next. :)

• Upvote 1

Charcoal ran out. :D

I'm still getting used to the adjustments to the mechanic and I still end up burning through more pieces of charcoal than necessary as a result.  As I get used to the changes, my efficiency will likely improve.  The good news is that I'm done with most of the map.  I just have a few places to go back to for "touch up" work.

I will end up spending a couple of game-days to gather up sticks again.  I think that if I just do two 24 hour fires, I'm hoping that will be enough charcoal to finish the Mystery Lake touch ups, as well as give me all I need to get Winding River completed as well.  I'd rather not have to setup something long term in such as small transition zone, but I managed just fine in the Ravine... so Winding River shouldn't be a problem either. :D  However, ideally I would rather finish it quickly and get back to positive progress (so far Mystery Lake what as far as my longest run of this challenge had gotten - that was the time I found the instant kill spot).

I know I'm chomping at the bit to keep moving... I want to finally complete this personal challenge of mine.  I've been working on it for nearly a year now :D

I'd like to be done and move on to the other personal challenges I've been contemplating.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

As much as I'm eager to hurry along... I decided it was better to slow down, making sure to be cautious and methodical.  I figure the last thing I need is to begin rushing, which generally leads to fatal mistakes in this game... :D ...and I'd rather not loose the run when I'm more or less closer to finally completing my personal challenge then I've ever been in all four of my previous attempts.

I didn't get any time for a session today, but tomorrow I think I will just dedicate two or three game-days to gathering sticks.  I'm out of charcoal and I need to do along burn to get more anyway.  However instead of just producing the charcoal think I'd need, it seems wiser to invest a little more time to do 2 or 3 fire "long burn."  I will take longer to gather up the resources, but considering how much charcoal I've blown through while trying to get used to the feel of the adjustments and changes to the mapping system... it's probably better to have a larger supply of charcoal.

I've still not decided on which trail branch to cover next... and I think I'll continue to mull it over until I'm nearly finished mapping Winding River.  I am very intentionally saving Bleak Inlet for last because I'd more or less planned my route across Great Bear.  I'd originally planned on doing as little back tracking across completed zones as possible.  The rest of the run after Mystery Lake was going to be: Forlorn Muskeg, Broken Railroad, the necessary backtrack to Forlorn to Mountain Town, then on to Hushed River Valley.  However with the addition of Bleak Inlet, I know I'll need to do a lot of back tracking anyways.  So now it matters less which branch I take next, originally the idea what to start at Timberwolf Mountain and finish in Hushed River Valley.  While of course I could still do that... I kind of just want to finish in Bleak Inlet, mainly because I've had the least exposure to it relative to all the other regions (I did do a one game-day exploration run some months back when it first came out - just to look around).

There's a lot for me to consider while I gather up 400 - 600 sticks. :D
I can only hunt two more bears... but I have at least three regions where food may be scarce.  I'm still going to try not to eat any found food for as long as I can, but it may come to a point where I might have to finally start dipping into the "long haul" reserves.  I know I want to save one bear hunt for Hushed River Valley... it just seems like I will have enough to worry about while I'm there, so it would be nice to have the huge pile of food a bear would provide for while I'm there.

So much planning yet to do... :D

• Upvote 1

It was a rather peaceful day collecting more sticks, I managed to gather up nearly 200 of them today. :D

The only snag I ran into came from not paying close attention when I went out to start gathering up some more over near the Dead Fall.  As I was heading down the tracks, I'd attracted the attention of a wolf.  I'd promised myself years ago that I would always try to protect the lone stag that sometimes hangs out right near the Camp Office, so I knew I couldn't just head back because it would likely put the wolf on his trail instead.  So, I resisted the urge to start pitching stones at the wolf and kept calm while continuing to pick up loose sticks (the wolf hot on my heels the whole way).

I lead that wolf around a good chunk of the map. :D   I was trying to shake it off, but I didn't want to do so too close to my friend the stag.  I ended up leading the wolf further down towards the clearing on the other side of Dead Fall, and closer to the Rail Tunnel.  I ended up making my way up the hill in between and scrambled up some of the rock formations.   That seemed to do the trick.  The wolf lost interest while sill on the other side closest to the train tracks.  I waited for a bit listening for the howls (which were still eerily close by), then kept crouched as I slowly made my way back towards the Dead Fall.

After that, the rest of the afternoon was spent leisurely gathering more sticks. :)

One more day of gathering sticks... then I should have enough for keeping 2 or 3 fires burning for 24 hours.  Then I'll head out to touch up a couple areas along the river, before doing a bit of sorting and mending.  Then I'll gather up everything I can from inside the dam, after which I'll make my way to Winding River.  Hopefully I will be able to get that mapped in one day... but if not there are plenty of bunnies over there to hold me over for a couple of days if necessary.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Sometimes I'd swear that this game was some how sapient. :D

As I gathered up all the sticks I would need for three 24 hour fires, and decided to use three of the fishing huts (in order to use up fewer sticks to achieve the same result).  I was beset by unusually harsh weather for Mystery Lake.  Over the course of 4 days, 4 blizzards struck. :D  I couldn't believe it.

I got things staged as well as I could between blizzards, but even when I got the fires going the forth blizzard struck.  At the 11 hour mark I had to tough it out and make my way to each fishing hut to pile on more wood to see them through to be able to harvest the maximum amount of charcoal from each one.  That's when the game world decided to even more diabolical.  :D

The three days prior, there were no wolves out on the lake at all... but that forth day, a pack of three could be heard prowling about near the third fishing hut.  I had very limited visibility and of course deep cold.  I took the risk, and in the middle of the raging storm I was out there crouched slowly making my way out that hut.  As carefully as I could I approached from the small island that I was using as my best point of reference.  The howls were eerily loud, so I knew they were very close by despite not being able to see them.  I took a wide path around hoping to line up with the far side of the hut.  They got so close I could hear their foot steps and the scraping of one stopping and "digging" at the ice.  It was a nerve-wracking few minutes, but I was able to slip in and build up the fire again.  I had to march straight out the way I came hoping that none of them had wandered close enough to pick up my sent.

After that I decided to bed down the the "safest" of the three hut's I'd chosen.  Before heading out in the blizzard I'd been able to get some ice fishing done, so when I returned I cooked up a little food and a little water to replace I had to use (just in case another blizzard hit or in the event that this blizzard would be one of those that lasted 18 hours or more). 

As the storm cleared, it was nearing dawn.  The way to the Camp Office was still clear, so I did finally get back.  Since my stomach was full, I wanted to make good use of it.  However, I was very near exhaustion so I decided it was a good time to use those two energy drinks I'd been saving rather than sleep the day away.  As luck would have it I was able to use the boost to read a several more hours into the morning (that is to day, that when the energy drinks wore off... I didn't end up with the headache affliction).  After that I did sleep a good portion of the day and spent the rest reading the issue of "Advanced Guns, Guns, Guns."  I spent the majority of the following day reading it as well.  However, I knew that since I was still only at level 3 for my rifle skill, it might be better to save it for later when the shorter skill books were not longer useful.  With this in mind I stopped reading when I got to 23/25 hours completed.  I figure this way, I can gain the advantage of the lower skill books first... and only have a couple hours left on the advanced skill book.  Hopefully I made the right call, I'll have to see what I find in the other regions yet to map/explore.

Having decent weather for a second day in a row following the long burn, I ventured out to go and gather up my charcoal.  Sure enough those wolves were still skulking around at the fishing hut between the two clusters of lake shore cabins.  It was almost more nerve-wracking to try and stealth may to the hut now that I could see them... and realizing how close I'd likely been to getting ambushed during the storm.

I had 8 stones ready, in case I needed to distract or fend them off... but I was again able to slip in and out undetected. :)
It was an exciting few game-days for me... that's for sure. :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

There's still a lot I have to get used to with this new take on the mapping mechanics, over all I think it's great.  I think that he area of effect relative to your surroundings and vantage a good adjustment overall.  However, I have noticed a side effect of the reworked system in Mystery Lake.  On the other side of the Mystery Lake Overlook (past the forested area) is a large rock formation that leaves an ugly black smudge in the middle of my map.  So far as I can tell, it can't be scaled... so I went though nearly 20 pieces of charcoal while traipsing around trying to goat has high up as I could.  Eventually I was able to get it cleared up, but it was a real pain. :D

I did eventually find one photo that points me to the Forestry Lookout, so I'll take a quick look up there and survey from that vista just for the sake of doing it.  There are also a couple of spots in between the Rail Tunnel and Trapper's Homestead (it would be a good time to grab the deer pelt from there as well).  After that, I will make my way though the Carter Hydro-Electric Dam to gather up whatever resources I can find there and get Winding River mapped out.

If weather cooperates and I get Winding River done quickly... I'm going to have to finally make a decision on which branch to tackle next, and I'm still not sure which would be best way to tackle the next four regions.  

I guess I'll have to think about it some more. :D

• Upvote 1

Well, I've finished clearing the map (at least as much as I could).  There are some spots where the survey action clears beyond the map boundaries but the ridge forming the boundary stays blacked out.  Try as I might there is just nothing I can do about that.  The problem comes in when I check the "map tools," specifically the surveyed locations tab in the journal.

I have the entire map charted... but the location list says I have 21/22 checked off... then the list actually has 2 items still question marked.  So one of those counts is definitely off.  I'm going to have to take a list of the updated locations and do a manual check to see what's supposedly missing.  All of the previous regions I've mapped, all the listed locations check out as completed.  Giving the tab for Mystery Lake the once over, I can't see any discrepancy (which is why I guess I will have to do a manual check against the list provided by Hinterland).  It's odd to have the entire region map uncovered and yet some how have locations still be missing (yet it's not obvious which one's those might be)...  I imagine it's just a location I will need to go to and just charcoal it again (something that didn't register post update).

I'll guess I will just have to finish investigating tomorrow. :D

• Upvote 1

I finally completed the Mystery Lake map. :D
I'm still not sure why there was a disparity between the total number and the individual checked/named locations (in my previous post the example was 21/22 where listed as visited but there were 23 individual "boxes;" 2 of which had the "???" identifier).

Anyways, I used up nearly 30 pieces of charcoal and remapped several spots that I thought could be likely candidates.  At some point, whatever hadn't registered finally did.  I revisited Forestry Lookout (that strangely registered as visiting for the first time despite the fact that I mapped it very early on durring my time at Mystery Lake).  Since this was also where the first photograph that I'd found depicted it as a "vista" I wanted to remap that portion anyway.  As it turned out, that spot didn't account for either of the 2 "???" marked items on the list.  I ended up remapping major spots from the Carter Hydro Dam all the way down the Rail Tunnel... while nothing new appeared on my map, the Journal does now show 22/22 areas of interest surveyed.  So... done at last. :D

I think I've decided to go to Forlorn Muskeg next.  Once finished with that, I'll head to Broken Railroad followed by Mountain Town and Hushed River Valley.  This way I'll save the two regions that I've had the least amount of experience with (being Hushed River Valley and finally Bleak Inlet).  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Today was kind of exciting (not really because of any imminent danger, but instead it was fueled by racing the clock). :D

I stopped by the Logging Camp to pick the 1 night's worth of food I'd stashed there, also taking with me enough water for 2 days.  My goal was to make mapping Winding River a "day trip."  I started out early that morning... the idea was to get to transition zone, map it out, and get back to the Lower Dam before "dark" (or at the very least get the mapping finished before it was too dark to do any more mapping).

It took a bit longer than I was hoping to walk through the dam, and it was nearly noon when I got out to Winding River itself.  I took a look over the edge of the dam, I was surprised and delighted to see that there was no wolf prowling around.  I wasted no time... I knew if I had to spend the night, it would be a certainty that there would be a wolf skulking about by the next morning.  I also didn't have much charcoal to work with, so I had to try to be as efficient as possible if I was going to succeed at making this a "day trip."  Granted there are more than enough rabbits to sustain me for a long while, but I thought it was more fun to try and race the clock.  :D

I was able to get the entire transition zone mapped fairly quickly, there are some spots along the edges that are not as clean as I'd like... but some of that is from the new survey mechanics mapping well beyond the "playable boundary."  Oh well, the idea was to get the map as clean as I can (goating around has shown me that there are instant kill spots around in the various regions and transition zones), but past experience has taught me to just really focus on making sure the actual playable area is mapped as completely as possible and worry less about the edges.

As I was backtracking from far end of Winding River and made it back to the entrance to the Lower Dam, I was able to get the last survey done just before it got too dark.  I'd made it, and I was pretty happy about it.  I stayed the night in the Lower Damn.  I figured I would just take short naps in case of an aurora.  Sure enough, there was and I was able to get another Buffer Memory.  My goal for the next day would be to fully loot the dam and make it back to the Camp Office.  That part was pretty leisurely... but when it came to making back to the Camp Office there was a very dense fog that would prove to be a challenge to navigation.  :D

I could hear a moose over by the Train Bridge... but I was more concerned about the potential wolves I couldn't see.  I decided to just march across the bridge and hope the way was clear.  I figure if I attract unwanted attention it would be more fun to have to try out maneuver them in the blindingly thick fog.  It was tense until I managed to find my way to the Train Loading area... after that it was a fairly relaxing walk as I made my up the slopes through the woods behind the Mystery Lake Overlook.

All-in-all, a fun session. :)

• Upvote 1

I forgot to mention it yesterday... while gathering up supplies in the dam, I ruined my first Pry Bar. 

This is the first time in all these years I've been playing that I've used a pry bar enough times to actually wear one out.  In honor of this momentous occasion... I decided to leave it next to my heaviest catch on the run so far as a kind of monument.  :D

Nothing much happened today.  I've just been doing prep work for my next trek to Forlorn Muskeg.  I'd found archery and rifle skill books, so I've read those.  I've also been scraping excess clothing and doing some final sorting and mending.  The timing has worked out rather well, since I'm almost out of fish. :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I ate the last of my fish and set out for Forlorn Muskeg. :D

I did end up reloading my rifle (I was down to 5 rounds so I figured reloading would be wise to get me though then next 4 regions - even though I only plan on hunting only two more bears), apart from that I left everything behind but my essentials kit.  The weather was reasonable, a little windy and snowy... but it looked manageable for the trip down the tracks.

As I entered Forlorn Muskeg the snowfall was lighter, but the bitter cold winds across the marshland were stronger.  As I careful made my way further along the track, I took a moment to think about where I wanted get set up (I'll will likely be here for a long while :D).  I knew that the Poacher's Camp would be better for hunting a bear, but I'm not sure how much I like the idea of making that my main encampment.  After gathering up what I could from the Poacher's Camp, I decided I would try to settle in at the Old Spence Family Homestead.  As I began making my way across the marsh I spotted a bear making its way to the Poacher's Camp.  I'm guessing it's den is either back over the small hill it was ambling down... or perhaps over by the Low Blind.  Either way, if I can make it to the Old Spence place and keep warm for the night... I can come back tomorrow for the hunt.

I think using the Poacher's Camp as a secondary cache/shelter (primarily using it for central food storage) might work out for the better.  Though, I know there is a good chance that the Old Spence Family Homestead may be swarming with wolves.  I figured I would give it a shot, and if I need to I can always relocate.  Regardless of where I make my main encampment, I still need to focus on food and firewood.

While I was considering all my options, I must not have been playing close enough attention.  Failing to spot them ahead of time, I found myself being pursued across the muskeg by two wolves.  I tried to shake then by climbing up and dropping off some of the small rock formations, but the clever things stayed hot on my trail.  I was able to gather up some stones as I sprinted from one patch of land to the next.  I eventually took the risk of climbing onto a fallen log and tried to hit them with stones.  As usual the first one pitched didn't hit it's mark, though I was able to use that to adjust the next two shots (bear in mind that I can't "aim in" or they would charge, I'm essentially "firing from the hip" when I do this).  I ended up pitching three more stones after the first, but that did the trick.  I think the third ended up being superfluous, but I didn't care. :D  There are more rocks, and I just needed to get them off my back.

As I made my way further across the muskeg, I misjudged my sprinting speed/distance as I took risky path across a relatively small patch of thin ice.  However, I failed to take into account that how encumbered I was (from firewood, coal, and other supplies I'd picked up along the way) and the strength of the wind blowing in my face.  As a result, my calculated risk quickly turned into a self-inflicted wound. :D

At this point I wasn't even half way to the Old Spence place, I was soaked up to the waist, and freezing to death.  As I made my way to the High Blind discovered as long as I could take cover from the wind, I could start warming by a narrow margin of 1 degree.  At least, by taking cover occasionally... I could at least slow down the hemorrhaging of condition a little bit.  However, if I didn't get moving I knew I'd be dead soon... I was already down neat 60% from falling into the water the damage I'd taken from freezing so far.  I continued to pick up sticks and whatever pieces of cedar/fir I happened to find along the way, and it wasn't long before I was seriously weighed down.  As much as it was slowing me down, I knew I needed as much fuel for the fire that I could muster if I was going to survive the night.

Even though it was slow going, and my condition was dropping steadily as my clothing freezes over... I eventually made it to the fence line that more or less surrounds the "front" of the homestead.  I stayed crouched as I tried to scout the area... time was not on my side but I didn't want to risk an ambush.  I wouldn't survive a wolf attack with such low condition (by now it was around 20% and still plummeting).  After slowly creeping forward, I saw the way was clear.  After that I new I could get to work getting settled in for a long stay.

Once I was able to get a fire started (as well as most of the supplies gathered up and sorted), I decided to use the bed to make a quick save point so I could end the session for the day.  I decided to check to see how close I came to death, and the save info says I'm at 16% condition.  :D  That's the closest I've come to death in this run since Pleasant Valley  :D

*and all because I was foolishly trying to rush my trek across the muskeg... a mistake I will not make again*

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

just out of interest dude (and apologies if you've posted it previously), but what is in your 'essentials kit'?

curious as I tend to be packing 25k plus even for the simplest treks- i always assume I will hit a blizzard straight after a moose attack, and stagger into a resource free area where i have to hunker down for 2 weeks whilst my ribs heal...

• Like 2

@Valuable Hunting Knife

That is a really rough situation to find oneself in, and one that can be hard to prepare for; I've had the same dilemma myself...  I do tend to run pretty lightweight for the sake of being able to have more capacity to gather up other found gear and supplies.  This also means I had to learn to get by without what many would consider necessary tools.  This admittedly makes running around a little more dangerous... and I've had to try and become more cautious in how I travel and much more vigilant as I travel.

It can be a really difficult choice when we have to try and pick what we think will be most necessary for the sake of lightening our pack. :)
Here's what I use as my "essentials kit:"

Whatever clothing I'm wearing
1 standard bedroll
2L of water (which for me is a comfortable night's sleep and plenty of water for the next day)
1 night's "stopover" food (bare minimum to get a good night's sleep - used only as last resort) *in this case I have 5 cattails that picked up while beachcombing earlier in the run.
1 bandage
3 unprocessed lichen (as they are "lightest" when not crafted into wound dressing) *I managed to find a total of 3 while beachcombing earlier in the run.
1 knife
5 cardboard cardboard matches
1 torch (to make best use of said cardboard matches)

---
beyond this point the rest is more optional... but perhaps a little more ideal if I happened to find them (though I could still live without them).  For the trek to Forlorn Muskeg, I also included:
1 fire striker (as emergency backup in case I absent mindedly use my last match, and to enable ignition source selection for lighting aforementioned torch)
1 magnifying glass (to take advantage of clear skies for "free" fire)
1 lantern (fully fueled when possible)
1 set of fishing tackle (for emergency repairs or fishing)
1 pry bar
1 recycled can

Generally my running weight with my "bare essentials" was about 16 Kg... of course with the rifle that does jump up to 20 kg.  However, once I'm done with my one hunt in the region, I don't carry the rifle around after that.  :D   I find I do pretty well with keeping the wolves off my back just using the stones I find on the ground.

Anyway, this is what I found works for me and my playstyle.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

appreciate the detailed reply my friend.

Looks like you stick to just sticks and foraged timber?

one thing I have started doing recently is carrying several brewed 'low value' teas (birch bark as it is effectively infinite, or rosehip as I can usually manage with any pain affliction until I sleep), as a low weight emergency source of water and calories.  I also tend to re-jig my clothing if I do need to optimise weight (such as harvesting a big carcass or a run to a known loot area), so I try and keep something like a light shell or windbreaker, plus basic gloves maintained in certain regions.

good luck with the rest of your run 👍

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@Valuable Hunting Knife

1 hour ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Looks like you stick to just sticks and foraged timber?

Yes, even on an average afternoon I can collect in the ball park of 100 sticks (just picking up loose sticks and breaking down branches by hand).  As a result, I've found the axe to not be very essential (so much so, that I've not had to use one since I started this personal challenge :D).

I appreciate you sharing some of your strategies.  I admit, I'm more crude when it comes to my clothing load-out... I could probably be more efficient in customizing what I wear to the maximum advantage to what task I'm trying to do.  I'll have to think on that some more.

Right now (and admittedly since I started playing), I tend to just focus on wearing the warmest overall clothing items I can find.  That is to say, I value the warmth (and warmth per kg) a bit more than many of the other attributes.  I admit that also means that I do end up sacrificing more mobility... but I try to compensate for that by playing in such a way that doesn't depend on me needing to sprint for long distances anyway. 

Thank you, you've given me a lot to think more about.
Stay warm out there. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I had enough food in my stomach to make it through the night, and a fire fueled mostly by coal.  I was able to recover a fair amount of condition, but I needed to get a food source right away or I may have to resort to the "found food" reserves.  So far in this run, all the food I've consumed has been from hunting and fishing (I did also find a total if 5 cat tails from beachcombing but I've been saving those as the emergency ration).  If I don't find food in the next day or so, I will have eat my emergency foods... and beyond that I'll have to tap into my "found food" reserves (which again, I'm doing everything I can to avoid that until I'm done mapping all of great bear).

Unfortunately when I woke up, there was a heavy heavy fog and it lingered for most of the day.  I was able to scout around a little bit, but with visibility so poor I didn't risk much.  Since I didn't hear wolf howls off in the distance I made it over to the Bunkhouses.  I picked up some reclaimed wood, sticks, and a couple pieces of cloth that there lying around and headed back.  I still had some time on the fire, so I spent a those remaining hours producing as much water as I could.

The fog did finally lift, but unfortunately it was already very late in the evening.  I was able to scout around and do a bit of mapping around the area (mainly over by the Bunkhouses and up along the ridge overlooking the Old Spence Family Homestead.  I took note of the pack of three wolves prowling over by the other barn on the far end of the homestead.  If they remain the only presence in the area then traversing across the muskeg should be fairly safe... we'll have to see what the next few days brings.  Also unfortunately I would have to go to bed hungry.  I'm was not ready to eat my emergency cat tails, nor the several cans of dog food I'd picked up while making my way to and rummaging through the homestead.  However, this meant that my condition will be draining steadily.  Though I think I'll still come out ahead from my first day's thin ice folly. :D

The next morning I woke up, and of course my condition was getting to be a growing concern.  I would have to eat something today... or I'll very likely be dead tomorrow.  With that in mind I was determined to start the hunt right away.  The only problem was there was a fair bit of fog limiting visibility... it wasn't as thick as the previous day so I continued out across the muskeg.  I'd managed to make it out to a large rock formation that turned out to be right next to the High Blind's location (which is what I was looking for).  At the time I thought I had made it to the High Blind, but was disappointed to find that I had missed my mark.  I couldn't see any of the smaller rock formations near by, and as I was trying to get my bearings the fog rolled in even thicker.  I couldn't see much more than 2 meters from where I stood.  I had no choice but to try and wait it out.  I knew if I wasn't successful today, I'd have to just eat my emergency food (I've been pretty stubborn about it thus far, but I wouldn't want to risk the run on it :D).

I did what I could to pass time productively.  I collected sticks and broke down a branch or two by hand.  Eventually I did decided to find the most sheltered spot I could find on that little land mass and passed some time.  I only lost an hour (maybe two), and the fog began to clear.  Immediately I was back to trekking across the muskeg.  As I made my way over to the Poacher's Camp the fog began to fully clear.  I took a quick look around the area and spotted the bear making it's way back through.  I new this was going to be my chance.  I waited around the far side of the train cars for the bear to amble closer.  I knew I would likely have to risk a charge in order to make sure it dropped close by to be able to safely quarter it, and if I failed to bring it down I would definitely not survive the attack.

As the bear got closer I made my way towards it to draw it in closer.  I crouched down and waited... just as it was getting to the edge of the ice I aimed in and took a shot.  I immediately began to back peddle, but as luck would have it I landed a critical head shot and the bear dropped dead in it's tracks.  I grabbed up my spent casing and ran over to quarter it up.  As the sun was setting, I was able to get the bags of meat hauled over to the doorway of the open train car.  I immediately got to work.  I got a good fire going and began harvesting the first bag of meat.  I boiled two cans of water to start out with, but after that I would keep one can for water and the other cooking slot for the meat.  I would be able to rest easier now, knowing I had an ample supply of food.

There was still one problem to deal with though, the train car is not a good enough shelter to get the pelt and guts to cure.  I'm not sure if there is a good place near by... so I suppose I'm going to have to make the risky trip of hauling that back to the Old Spence place tomorrow.  However, for tonight... I'm just going to enjoy a warm fire and a fully belly. :)

It was a pretty great day. :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

The weather seemed pretty good (for Forlorn Muskeg at least) after I woke up, so I gathered up the raw gut, the bear pelt, and a day's worth of bear steak.  There was already some light snow flurries, so I wanted to get going back to the Old Spence place before the weather decided to get worse.  By the time I made it over to the High Blind, the weather had indeed took turn.  The wind was blowing harder, the snowfall was increasing, it looked like it was threatening a blizzard.  I decided to chance it and press on ward.

As I approached the route taking me by the Bunkhouses, I noticed a pack of three wolves where prowling around.  I did test the extent of the thin ice around there to see if there was a way I might just sneak past and get to the Old Spence place from "behind" to avoid the wolves that I'd spotted out by the barn on the far side... but it just didn't seem feasible.  I decided to back track to a safer distance and though about it for a bit.  I figured if these wolves where here, it might be likely that they were the same wolves that were previously "out in front" of the homestead.  As I was thinking it over the weather seemed to be getting a little worse, so I decided to take the chance and head around to the other side.  The gamble paid off. :)

I found the way was clear from that side, so it seems they were the same group of wolves.  This would definitely work in my favor.  I couldn't remember if the barn that I was using as my main encampment would serve as enough of a shelter to allow the pelt/guts to cure or not.  I quickly made my way back to drop off my food, water, and some sticks and cedar that I'd picked up on my trip back across the marsh.  Sure enough, the loft was not enough of a shelter... the only other place I could think of near by was the cave over by the Fallen Shortwave Tower.  With the wolves over by the Bunkhouses, it should be an easy hike over there to do some mapping and to drop of the guts/pelt to let them cure.

I took it slow, as I wasn't sure if I would meet up with any hostile wildlife along the way.  All the while the wind and snow where still going strong, but hadn't developed into a blizzard yet.  I did see one wolf down on the ice (mental note for later), but the way to the tower and the nearby cave was clear.  By the time I got done dropping the raw guts and hide, the weather started to clear.  I honestly didn't expect that. :D

I went a littler further afield and mapped a little bit more along the ridge line, the wind was still blowing pretty hard but the sky was clear.  I spotted a bear down on one of the rock formations out on the ice (another good mental note for later).  I spent the rest of the afternoon gathering up loose sticks.  I figured I would safe the branches for another day.  I knew I wouldn't need much in the way of firewood today, but even so I came back with about 80 sticks.  Tomorrow I'm going to have to stop by the Poacher's Camp again just to pick up some more food, and to map out that area as well.  Beyond that... I think that if the "front" of the homestead is still clear of wolves I may map further down the trail past the Fallen Shortwave Tower and around to the other side of that bear's cave below.  If the wolves are out front, I may just map along the edge of the region past the Bunkhouses and see how far I get that way.

I know it will be a few days before I need to worry about cooking more food... but perhaps I just need to hurry up and process all of the bags of meat.  Hmm... I'm not sure what happens if a bag of meat spoils. :D  I've never had one long enough to have to worry about it.

I may need to think on that some more.

• Upvote 1

I did end up taking advantage of what started as a clear and sunny day out on the Muskeg.  I thought I would map along the edge of the region past the Fallen Shortwave Tower and up to to at least the railroad tracks.  I figured that I way I could scope out that second bear's den, and get a better idea of what it's travel patterns are.  Since my one "large game" hunt is over, I've put away my rifle.  Avoid and evade, just like in previous regions that's how I have to live my life for the remainder of my time in Forlorn Muskeg.  I know that's been the case for all of the regions...  However, with the all of the treacherous ice out on the muskeg, it's been pretty tense to be running a round with just rocks in my pockets. :D

After mapping up to the railroad tracks (and location marker for Broken Railroad), I decided I would make my way along the tracks back to the Poacher's Camp to get a couple more days of food and harvest more of the bags of bear meat.  Unfortunately, a heavy fog began to roll in just as I started making my way across the marsh parallel to the tracks, the fog quickly stifling my mapping efforts and slowing navigation.  I did my best to maintain my orientation parallel to the railway, but the thin ice and inability see ahead made it difficult to press on.  Eventually the fog got so thick, I ended up having to sit and wait it out.  About two "hours" later (10 minutes real-time) the fog began to lift.  Fortunately I had been able to more or less blindly navigate most of the way there, and with only slight deviation for my intended course.  :D

Once I approached the Poacher's Camp, I decided to investigate the carrion crows that were circling nearby.  I was apparently not as careful as I should have been because as I began to approach, a wolf quickly began stalking me.  I sprinted back around the other side of  the train cars and back up the tracks.  Somehow I manged to put enough distance between us quickly enough... just as I was running low on stamina I noticed that I didn't hear any snarls or growls.  I kept crouched as I made my way back.  I didn't mind the slow going because I wanted to give the wolf time to wander off again.  :D  I decided I would just grab meat and head back.  It was already getting late into the evening, and I was only barely able to get back before moonrise. 

The next morning I decided to make another trip to the Poacher's Camp.  I thought I really should take a slightly longer path in order to map more of the marsh along the way.  I did have to avoid a few of the little "islands" as they were swarming with wolves... but I was able to clear a lot more of the map.  Once I got to the train cars, I just focused on processing more of the meat bags (so nothing exciting).  I was able to get nearly three bags processed before I decided I need to head back for the night.  With another couple of day's meat in toe, I decided I would try to take another longer route back.  There was still enough light for me to map along the far side past the Bunkhouses.  After that it was getting way to dark to see (as it had started snowing).  With the wolves out further on the muskeg, I figured that the Bunkhouses would be clear... at least clear enough for me to slip around along the ridge that would take over near the Old Spence place.

I did have to use my lantern for a bit, but the gamble paid off.  I made it back to my main encampment with no trouble.  I may repeat the same trip tomorrow, just to get the rest of the meat harvested and staged for future cooking. :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1