Finally Trying for Faithful Cartographer...

ManicManiac

:D I almost got ambushed again today! :D

I was heading back to the Abandoned Lookout (to setup my spare rope)... I did make a quick stop at the Fishing Hut nearest the Fishing Village just to drop off the sticks I collected yesterday.  I cut across the ice to get back to the road, and as I made my way up the shore I was jump scared by a wolf.  This being the first time in this run that a wolf was skulking around by the abandoned car near the Fishing Village.  I ended up luring it onto the ice so I could cut around wide to make it to the car.  I took that as a lesson about complacency...

I waited in the car for a few minutes to give my furry woodland friend time to wander off.  I was then able to make my way back up to the Abandoned Lookout at and easy pace.  I got the rope secured and used it to climb down to the ledge below.  I was able to get the resources and lower climb mapped, then descended to the cabins below.  I had to duck the bear, since right at that moment it was ambling by (because with my luck... of course it was :D).   I was able to quickly gather up everything in the three cabins (the last being burned out) and mapped the immediate area.  Though, I did have to climb up a couple of nearby rock formations to get a better vantage.

I also had to make my way all the way back to the switchback where I was almost ambushed a couple of days ago... but this time I was able crouch out to the edge of the ridge, map, and get out quick. :D  I suspect that particular wolf was probably not out today either... but after nearly getting ambushed earlier, I wasn't in the mood to take too many unnecessary chances.  I had to keep track of the bear by listening close to the "bear crows."  I ended up spending most of the day crouched, but I was able to map down passed the Townsite and back out on the ice to clean up the last of dark spots on my map.

Over all this took a fair bit longer than I was anticipating (having to wait on / maneuver around the bear so much).  To make matters worse, the Coastal Townsite was swarming with wolves again... so I will have to come back to gather up supplies tomorrow.  Once I get done prospecting the Quonset Gas Station and near by houses/cars, all that will remain is the Waterfront Cottages on the way to Commuter's Lament.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I am doing one more long burn... First to cook another week's worth of food (I do want to make sure I leave for Old Island Connector with a full stomach).  Second, I admit that I wasted more charcoal than I really needed to (there were just some spots that left a lot of splotches because I wasn't at a high enough vantage point... oh well).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

It's day 118 now.  Having to "Solid Snake" my way around the Coastal Townsite and hiking supplies back to the Fishing Village has slowed down progress a bit more than I anticipated. :D

It's been slow but steady, I suppose it will another couple of days before I'm ready to organize and head out to the next region.

[Addendum]
Also of note... another bear as moved into the den at Bear Creek.  As I was touting supplies back to my main encampment, I spotted it and did have to wait for it to amble away.  Since I already took one bear in the region, I'm going to have to stick to avoid and evade... which has gotten just a little bit more complicated since a wolf now likes to frequent the far end of the docs also (and can catch whiff of me when I'm on my doorstep).  I may need to consider a safer spot :D ...or at the very least, keep very vigilant when coming and going.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

:D Today was apparently another bad day to stealth my way around the Coastal Townsite.  Since it had been a couple days, I decided to do some more recon before diving back in... and a good thing too.

I did take a short excursion as I was walking down the road towards the townsite... I came upon the "new" abandoned mine.  I realized I'd forgotten all about it.  I quickly

There wasn't a single wolf out on the ice on the way to the townsite... which I took as a sign that they would be crawling all over the Quonset Gas Station.  As it turned out, I was right.  I spotted 4 wolves prowling around behind the Quonset and between some of the houses (most of them are burned out in this run) and I spotted at least one skulking along road in front.

Challenge accepted...

I was able to search through the first car along the snow bank.  One of the wolves wandered right alongside of the car as I was checking out the glove box.  :D
I gave it a few minutes to wonder off so I could continue sneaking around undetected.  I slipped past to the farthest house nestled up near the back slope (also burned out), and quietly cleaned out that car as well.  I decided to play it safe and skirted along the slope to get to the farthest house on the far side (the only house sanding was the one right next to the back road up towards the lonely Coastal House on the hillside.  After I cleared out that house and crept up slowly to inspect the inside of the dog house just next to another ruined house, I decided to cut across the road to head back to the Fishing Village to offload.  I was pressing my luck, but I made it back out without detection. :)

As I was hiking back, I decided the constant back and forth was consuming more time than I thought was justified.  After dropping off the supplies I'd gathered, I grabbed up 7 litters of water and about 4 days worth of bear steaks and took them back across the ice to the Fishing Hut closest to the pier in front of the townsite.  I decided I would this hut as a short term encampment until I was done with the area.  Of course, the first blizzard in a week hits... and me without any fuel for a fire.  I tried to tough it out... but after I lost about 25% of my condition, I decided I would risk the wolves to head for the house near the pier.

Since I was still outside before the storm hit and near enough to the wolves that they weren't likely to have despawned... I knew it was a dangerous gamble.  I set out anyway and tried to keep my bearing.  I admit I was beginning to have my doubts as the walk seemed to be taking longer than I estimated.  I certainly couldn't go back, so I had to accept that if I'd make a mistake it would likely mean the end of my run.  As I did my best to look from left to right (trying to make out the shape of the shore) as I continued to push forward... the very welcomed sight of the pier slowly appeared through the darkness and blinding snow.  It was a wonderful sight :D

I resisted the urge to run up to the house, but I couldn't hear any wildlife... let alone see them, but I knew I just kept walking I would have about as much warning as was possible under the circumstances.  I did hear a howl startlingly close by... I crouched down and crept the last few agonizing meters, but I finally made it to warmth and safety.

The next morning, I figured this was my best chance at getting in close to the Quonset Gas Station.  As I crept slowly to the top of the snowbank overlooking the road I did see at least one wolf prowling past the house just behind the Quonset.  As I made my way across the street, I could have sworn I heard at lest one more skulking on the other side, but I was able to slip inside unnoticed.  I spent a good part of the day gathering up the rather rich stash of gear and supplies.  I was going to try to slip out the back to finish up the last few cars and final house (just behind the gas station), but I decided it would be better not to press my luck that hard (and also because I was already lugging 45 Kg of stuff :D).

It was a long and very slow walk back to my main encampment, and I also knew I'd have to be cautious of the wolf I spotted near The Tooth as well as the likely hood of bumping into the bear again.  I opted to crouch and creep past as the wolf decided to roam dangerously close to the road.  Happily the wind was cooperating and I managed to say down wind.  When I got near the Fishing Village (sure enough), I did end up having to carefully wait for the fuzzy fiend to amble past so I could head around to the roadside cabin and drop off the tools and gear.  I'd stepped outside to head for the next cabin to drop off food and clothing... but the bear just so happened to be walking past that cabin I stepped out of and immediately charged.  I was barely able to turn around and slip back inside fast enough.

Thanks to that ridiculously close call, I think I'll make sure to always crouch before stepping out of those cabins from now on. :D

• Like 1

It's been a few days, but I was finally able to play some more.

I was finally able to complete my Coastal Highway map (again).  Finishing the Coastal Townsite ended up being a bit of a dodgy situation.  As it turned out, there were two more houses and three cars that hadn't ransacked.   Once again the area was swarming with wolves, so I ended up sneaking and sprinting from house to car (and vice versa) in order to avoid snatched up by all the teeth prowling around.  At one point I had to duck back in to the Quonset Gas Station, but it wasn't that simple.  I had to go back and forth from the front door and back door to draw them all towards the front of the Quonset.  It was quite a game of cat and mouse the wolves had me on, but eventually I was able to find an opening to finally escape. :D

After that was able to skirt between the wolves on the ice through heavy snowfall and low visibility to drop off supplies back at the Fishing Village, and then hike back across to the my temporary encampment in the Fishing Hut closest to the Waterfront Cottages.  This time I brought about 40 sticks with me in case of another blizzard... I didn't want to have to risk stumbling back to house by the pier again (just based on my last experience at the townsite, I figured my luck wouldn't be likely to hold).  So, I played it safe... fortunately there was no blizzard that evening, so it was a leisurely stop-over.

The next morning fog began to set in, and since I didn't see the bear out on the ice... I figured that meant it was ambling around over by the cottages.  Sure enough, as I got to the shore I was sneaking my way up to the first house on the right.  As I crept along the side to get to the door, I could hear the bear crows somewhere in the fog and the footsteps of a wolf prowling close by as well.  So I ducked into the house to gather up the supplies and to take a nap for a couple hours.  I was hoping that after a couple of hours, I wouldn't be stuck between a wolf and a bear. 

After a bit of a nap, I stepped out on the porch to find the fog had lifted and that the bear was heading back out on the ice.  I knew I'd have enough time to map all the way down to Commuter's Lament before the bear came back around.  I stuck to sneaking to try to get eyes on the wolf I'd also heard nearby... much to my surprise, the coast was clear.  :D

I managed to gather up everything in the area, and cleaned out the car over at Commuter's Lament.  However, the weather was beginning to turn again...  It quickly shifted to a heavy snowfall, and I was concerned that it might be threatening a blizzard.  I decided to roll the dice and head up the hill near the road to map out the ridge line.  I knew it was a risk, but I was confidant I'd be able to get back to the Fishing Hut if things got much worse.  After mapping the ridge, the weather seemed to be holding so I also opted to head out to the thin ice to finish mapping the edge towards Misanthrope's Island.

With the map now complete, I figured I would spend one more night at the Fishing Hut to use up the last of the bear steak I stashed there before taking this last haul of supplies back.  Still concerned about a possible blizzard, I only took a four hour nap... and a good thing too.  I'd forgotten to check my clothing, as I woke up I noticed I had frost bight risk.  Turns out, most of my outer layers where soaked through and by now, frozen.  :D  Fortunately enough, I had quite a bit of spare clothing from the Waterfront Cottages and and quickly switched out my frozen hat and mittens.  I'm still at 28% for frost bite risk, but at least it wouldn't continue to worsen.

After another four hour nap, I think I'll head back to the Fishing Village for a final sort and mending... I still have about 35 charcoal handy, which should be more then enough to take care of mapping the Old Island Connector (which is fortunate, because last time I had to hide out in the cave and had a real problem with the wolves last time I was there in a previous attempt). :)  

• Upvote 1

I found I'd run a little short on food so I've been harvesting and mending while cooking up another week's worth of bear steak.  I've had to be careful, since the bear visits the Fishing Village lately.  Nothing very exciting has happened over the last couple of days, I've just been organizing, harvesting, and mending.  I found a lot more clothing than I thought.  I may just have to separate the highest tier "back up clothing" and just leave the rest to decay.  I generally like to scrap it all for leather and cloth, but it's taken a long time so far... I want to finally get to Old Island Connector tomorrow.

I also have hefty supply of found food.  I've still managed to subsist solely on hunted/scavenged meat and not consumed any found foods at all so far on this run.  I'm kind of proud of that.  :)  Assuming I can get the mapping portion of the challenge done, that's when I'll start eating all my found food reserves.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I admit, it's been a little frustrating for me because I've not been able to play much this week.  I say that because I know if I had been able to do a session each day, I would likely be making my way back from Desolation Point by now.  :D 

Oh well... just have to keep moving.

Edited by ManicManiac

Just as I had gotten to the point where I was just trying to get things organized (and seriously contemplating just leaving it a disorganized mess)... three blizzards hit keeping me mostly indoors for the better part of three game days (no cabin fever risk yet - so that was nice :)).  This did afford me ample time, so I finished up scrapping all the excess clothing...  shuffled around some gear to make better use of what storage containers I had at the Fishing Village.

Still hours before dawn on the fourth day, I woke to an aurora blazing outside.  I thought I would give one last try to get the last Buffer Memory from the Fishing Village.  However to do that, I first needed to dodge an aurora charged bear.  Thanks to my new habit of staying couched when stepping outside, I was able to wait on the protected side of that porch.  I did slide back inside as the bear began to wander close... and after a minute or two, I stepped back out to find it was just far enough off that I could sit crouched on the porch and watch as it lumbered across the road and amble back up the hill towards it's den.

I stopped back into the cabin right next to the road and collected my rifle (I didn't bother to reload it though, seven rounds should be more than enough and I'm likely to find more in Desolation Point).  With the aurora still in full swing, I was concerned about the wolf that has taken to prowling around by the pier.  Sure enough, as soon as I was making my way down the launch I heard the snarl of an aurora charged wolf beginning to stalk me.  I quickly back peddled and ran into one of the cabins.  I gave the wolf a few minutes to hopefully wander off, and then I decided to take a wider path down the road to approach my usual Fishing Hut from behind.  The wolf was prowling much closer to the hut than it had been in the past.  I managed to sneak around and get inside so I could fill my stomach with the rest of the bear steaks I'd cooked up.

Unfortunately the wolf kept wandering closer and closer... I knew I had my rifle on hand, and though I absolutely did not want to shoot it... I was certainly getting ready to.  It must have caught wind of me, because it did start snarling just outside.  There being no door on this particular hut, I knew I was not at all safe.  It was a very close call... it even walked right in front of the door way and I was ready to fire when I noticed it wasn't snarling any more.  The best I can figure is that it decoyed on the rather large pile of raw bear meat I'd had stockpiled out side.  It may have even snatched up a couple of pieces before I decided to roll the dice and take a one hour nap (hoping against hope that it would wander off far enough for me to make a quick escape).

The gamble apparently paid off.  When I woke up, the aurora was over and the wolf was not in the immediate vicinity.  I didn't stop to look around, I just made sure my stomach was full and took off across the ice heading for the Commuter's Lament.  I was relieved to without having to shoot or get into a struggle.  I took a wide path around near the weak ice to avoid both the bear and the wolf that were milling around near the Waterfront Cabins.  From there it was an easy stroll past Commuter's Lament and into the Old Island Connector.

As I entered the transition zone, the ice was blissfully free of wolves and I was able to get about half the mapping completed.  However, I did have one mishap on the ice that caused me to fall though into the water while I was taking some risky runs to try and take advantage of a little beachcombing.  :D   Another complication has presented itself...  Just beyond the Arch, there are now two wolves prowling around.  I don't want to shoot them, but I will still eventually need to get over there to finish the mapping it out.  I opted to stay in the nearby cave for the night (first and foremost to try and dry out my clothes) and see if perhaps tomorrow the wolves will move out of the area so I can get a clear path towards the mine.

If the wolves haven't moved on, then I suppose I will take the long way around tomorrow.  I still need to map everything around the Abandoned Harris House anyway.  I'll just have to see how tomorrow's session plays out. :)

I don't want to have to spend ammunition dealing with the wolves.  I'm hoping I won't have to, but if I absolutely need food or defend myself... naturally, I will.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

I didn't get a lot of time for a session today.

I woke up a few hours before dawn, and immediately checked on my clothing (fortunately almost completely dry).  I did sneak around under the Arch to see if the way was clear.  While the wolves were still prowling around, I was able to make it past them without incident.  I mapped the far edges of the weak ice and was able to a couple of fish that had "washed up."  Making my way back around the other side of the wolves was a little more precarious (carrying a Salmon and a Bass inventory).  I was able to press forward a ways, drop the fish, then scout a little farther a head.  I was able to get the fish back up to the shore line, but I did leave them behind as I made my way up the steep bank next to a fallen tree.  I could hear wolf footsteps on the road above me, so I slid back down to where I stashed the fish to take a bit of a long think about what to do next.

Since I had to cut the session short, I took a 1 hour nap there on the shore.  I've been thinking about making a sprint up along the other side of the collapsed road to try and head over to the Abandoned Harris house.  I figure if I have at least three wolves there on this side, hopefully the other side will be relatively clear.  If the way looks safe tomorrow, I'll try to drag the fish up to the Abandoned Harris House to drop them off.  This way I know if I do need to stay another night, I'll have plenty of food with me to take my time.  However if all goes well, I should be able to map the area surrounding the burned out houses, the nearby cave over by the ridge line, and hopefully skirt around to get at the Abandoned Mine entrance.

The reason I'd rather not have to engage the wolves is that I want to wait until I tackle Bleak Inlet... :D I kind of want to make the two wolfskin coats I'll need for my version of "Wrapped in Furs" out of timber wolf pelts.  I know there is no aesthetic or functional difference between wolf and timber wolf pelts so far as crafting goes, but I wanted the extra challenge.  Also, I know I will likely have to take down several timber wolves in the process of mapping Bleak Inlet anyway, and I'd like for all those spent cartridges to go towards more than just self defense. :D

• Upvote 1

I woke from the one hour nap, and I crept up along the slope on the opposite side of the Road Collapse to see if I could get a visual of the road that would take me to the Abandoned Mine entrance.  I found that what I mistook to be a wolf prowling around was just a rabbit.  :D  Feeling a bit foolish, but relieved that I was just being overly cautious, I slid back down to bank to collect my fish.  I passed by a truck and continued up the path to map the entrance of the Abandoned Mine.  I decided that since I still had to head over to the Harris House (and the surrounding area), I would hold off on checking out that truck and the curve leading just beyond the path to the mine until just before I leave for Desolation Point.

Wanting to minimize the risk of detection, I dropped off the fish in front of the mine so I could scout the rest of the surrounding area as safely as possible.  I moved to the edge of the log retaining wall, crouched, and slid down.  Staying crouched I circled the burned out house and made my up the nearest rock formation to see if the pass a head was clear.  At that particular moment it was snowing and a little hazy, so I couldn't be entirely sure.  The not too distance howls suggested that there were at least two wolves skulking over by the Harris House.  I slid back down and continued crouched all the way over to a near by cave right next to the pass (in my notes I refer to it as Deadman's Cave... since I found a body laying just in front of the entrance).  As I crept closer to check out the pass, I was very much startled by a bunny rabbit popping up from a blind spot and through the call grass.  :D  That's the second time now in this transition zone that I was jump scared by these "wascally wabbits."

Since the nearby howls sounded a lot closer than before, I decided I would make my main encampment in the cave instead.  It didn't seem reasonable to risk trying to setup at the Harris House basement considering all the commotion I heard coming from over there.  I took a few minutes to drop off what few supplies I'd found so far, and did head back to the mine entrance to haul my fish over to the cave.  By this time it was starting to get dark, so I setup my campfire.  I got the salmon & bass cooked, as well a little more water (I did have one recycled can with me).  I ate the bass and ended up sleeping for just shy of 10 hours.

Early that morning the wind was blowing hard... so I sated a bit of thirst and ended up waiting for a couple of hours before going out again.  I didn't want to have to deal with the wind interfering with trying to keep track of my furry woodland friends almost entirely by ear.  The winded died down just as it reached mid-morning.  As I approached the pass (the fact that the rabbits were still alive was a good sign) I crouched down again and slowly made way way though the pass to get my first visual of the area around the Harris House.  I wanted to head up the slope to see if I could get a better overlook, however crawling up the slope as slowly as I was got me anxious about getting a sprain so I abandoned that idea. :D

I could hear at least two wolves prowling around... their howls were also a bit nerve racking (bravo to Hinterland on those little details you can get from paying attention to audio ques).  I did take a moment to map, hearing their footsteps as the wolves continued to prowl as I was waiting.  I took a moment to listen and try to look around.  I went along the ridge line in search of any other resources or carcasses that may be in the area (for the purposes of this challenge it's not enough to simply "clear a way the black patches" I have to make sure resources are mapped appropriately as well).  As I made my way over (collecting a surprising amount of coal along the way, there were 4 pieces strewn about back there) I finally got eyes on the wolves.  One was out on the road wandering towards the car and the Harris House... the other was prowling along side the road heading more towards my current position.  Hoping they would be turning around soon, I crawled back and waited a bit behind the burned out building with the swing set next to it.

I sat waiting behind the far edge of the building as I heard one set of footsteps fading, and I took that as a sign to head around and to the basement of the Harris House.  Every slow step was agony... I could hear the two sets of foot steps still very clearly.  I was just hoping I could make it to the cellar doors before one of them rounded the corner.  Thankfully I made it inside without being spotted.  I made quick work of clearing out the basement, and gathered up everything of significance (I did leave behind one Wilderness Kitchen... but I'm already at cooking 5 and I can do without hauling a book around to start a fire).

I took a moment to make sure I was crouched, and stepped back outside.  I immediately began to head to the edge of the house nearer to the pass.  I knew I still had a car to search in front of the house.  I stopped a moment to listen... but I could only hear one set of footsteps.  It seemed like the one patrolling nearer to the burned out buildings was still around, and I was hoping that meant that the other was at least across the road.  I crept slowly around the side of the house and sure enough, the wolves were about where I thought they were.  I saw the one walking away more towards where the deer carcass was and the other wolf was no where in sight, however the howl from just across the street informed me that it was still in play.

I was able to search the trunk, the inside, and under the hood.  As I was debating what to do with the battery, the wolf was just starting to make it's way to the road and towards my position.  The other wolf was also returning to prowl between the buildings again.  I left the battery on top of the closed hood, and slowly crept back towards the pass...

I made it, and without detection!  I think that was even more tense than the stealthing I did at the Coastal Townsite.
I let out a sigh of relief as I slowly made my way back through the pass and back to the cave.  I did one last short sort... dropping everything but my essentials.  Then I grabbed up the cooked salmon and headed back to the mine entrance.  I did drop the fish outside, since I did have to go back for the pickup truck at the end of the path and map the rock-slide at the end of the road (just for the sake of making sure I covered every spot I could without goating around too much).

I gathered up some resources (mostly coal) on my way though the mine, but as I neared the exit... it sounded like a blizzard outside. :D
It made me glad that I opted to take the salmon with me...  I figured it was already evening, and there's no sense in going out in a blizzard to try to find shelter on Desolation Point when I was already in a good shelter.  So, I took the time to sort and drop anything I could afford to leave behind... ate my salmon and slept until the next morning.

With the weather sounding clear... I'll be starting on Desolation Point tomorrow.
I'm really happy I was able to accomplish my little "side challenge" of making it though OIC without detection. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I got about a third of Desolation Point mapped today.  I forgot how frustrating it is to map by the Abandoned Mine entrance.  There still seems to be a problem where we can't really clear the black smudges from the ground.  It still requires some goating... and even then it just will not "clean up" as much as I would like.  Oh well...  I burned through a lot of charcoal (more than 20 pieces) trying to get that corner of the map as "clean" as possible.  Also, the rabbit grove icon near the Stone Church (so far) will not mark on the map.

I was able to map all the way down to the thin ice and then up to the top of the Lonely Lighthouse.  At first, I was worried that my safe passage may have been... changed, but thankfully it's still accessible (though a bit trickier to navigate these days). 

However, this being the first day in Desolation Point, it's going pretty well.  What will take some time, will be gathering up supplies from the Stone Church, Riken, and Hybernia...   Though since I do have safe passage up to the Lonely Light House... I will make that my main encampment.  I may also set up a small cache at the Riken as well.  In fact I think I will use the Riken to store all the bear meat I intend to hunt down tomorrow. :D

I did pick up enough coal for one long burn, so I should be able to generate all the charcoal I need... Though we will have to see, I have ended up wasting a lot of charcoal already.  Hopefully I'll be able to be more efficient in mapping the rest of the region.

I just remembered... it's likely I will have to potentially take down a few wolves (since there's a good chance they could spawn in side of a few places), but I'm going to stick to just leaving those pelts behind.  I still want to make my two wolfskin coats out of the timber wolves in Bleak Inlet... assuming my run is ultimately successful. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I was finally able to get back to playing today.
---

I set out first thing in the morning.  I got some more mapping done, but no sign of a bear yet.  I was able to harvest a deer carcass over at Little Island, and I found a smallmouth bass along with 3 cattail stalks while beachcombing (so I have food for a few more days).  All there is left to map is over by Hibernia and the Broken Bridge, as well as Kate's Secluded Corner and the Blocked Highway.  However, I really do need to find a bear.  I will need the meat, and eventually I will need the pelt.

I was making my way back to the Lonely Lighthouse as the sun was beginning to set.  As I was making my way around the back side of the island along the edge of the weak ice, I was surprised to find another wolf out on the ice.  It had caught wind of me thanks to all the raw meat, gut, and pelt I was carrying.  I tried to back peddle, but the wind was blowing right at my back slowing me down.  I was able to hit it with a stone... but instead of running away, it ran towards me. ¬¬  Wolves and deer used to run away from the player when they got spooked... nowadays, they just seem to pick a random direction to flee (I think it made more sense when they ran from the player or whatever direction the rock hit them from... but no matter, adapt and over come).

Knowing that I wouldn't be able to get away before regained it's composure... I took those few seconds I'd bought to goat up some of the rocks just below the lighthouse.  Sure enough, the wolf had me up a tree (so to speak).  I didn't want to have to shoot it... but I didn't want to get into a struggle either.  While the wolf was trying in a frenzy to path too me I was able to "hop" over the rocks and skirt along the steep slope to put a little more distance between us.  I was able to make my way back to the ice on the far side of the island and made a break for the Riken.  If nothing else I would be able to eat and sleep there.

As I got clear of the Lonely Lighthouse's little island, I noticed I didn't hear any snarling.  I must have managed to escape the wolves detection range.  I took the opportunity to head around the other side of the lighthouse (the side nearest the shore).  If figured, if the wolf was now on the far side... I should be able to get back to my "safe" passage from the other side.  It worked out perfectly.  The way was clear, and I was able to get back to the lighthouse to get some food cooked, and water boiled.

I'd collected enough sticks to get a five hour fire going.  I want to save the coal for a long burn later (if necessary).  I got the deer steak and bass cooked up, along getting 8 Liters of water prepared (I'd found some purification tablets - so I was able to get twice as much for the invested time :)).  By the time fire went out, it was definitely time for bed.  I dropped the excess water and was able to sleep for a good 10 hours.

The next morning the weather was looking clear so I thought I would head back towards the Matt's Truck to get it and the surrounding resource on the map.  While I was over there, I figured I would go back to the Stone Church and see what food or gear I could find there.  That first day, I'd just passed it by... I was more focused on getting to the lighthouse (and because I was already carrying a considerable amount of coal so I didn't have much room for prospecting).  As I was walking along the shore and about to head up be bank to get to the road... I heard, then saw a moose!

I took note of the possible spawn point, but this moose is safe.  I already have two moose pelts and I won't need any more for my version of "Wrapped in Furs" so... no need to hunt any more moose (at least until my goals for my personally challenge are met).  So, while it was neat to have a moose turn up... it does change my plans a bit. :D  Since I'm not going to hunt it and I definitely would not be able to get past it... I opted to head back over to the Riken (I needed to end the session for the day anyway).  My next stop will be Hibernia.

It occurred to me that there is a slim chance that I don't have a bear here in Desolation Point for this run.  If so... that will make survival rougher.  I'm still committed to not eating any processed foods until I'm finished with the mapping tasks (which so far has been a fun addition to my personal challenge - and I figure good training for Interloper :)).  I suppose I can hope for more fish on subsequent rounds of beachcombing... but of course, nothing is a sure thing in terms of what will wash up.

Hopefully though, the bear is just lumbering around on the other side of Hibernia.  I suppose we'll see tomorrow.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

The bear has indeed been hanging out on the other side of Hibernia.  Today I was up on the rock formation near the pier/loading zone when I spotted it ambling it's way though the area.  I stayed crouched up on top there to see where it was heading.  Fortunately enough it was beginning to head around towards the loading zone and started making it's way out on the ice.  I was able to track it at a distance and as it disappeared on the other side of the Riken, I ran around to the other side to set up my shot.  I stayed crouched and the idea was that I get close enough to make it charge me so I could hopefully drop it with a second shot.  However, even though I was dangerously close... the first shot sent it running of towards the bridge.

I did my best to keep up, but after it fled under the bridge it kept on running.  It then took off up the slope and onto the road heading past the Stone Church.  I was dreading that it might bleed out too close to the wolves that prowled in that general area.  I kept a watch full eye, hoping it would come back down the slope again, but eventually decided I was going to have to go after it.  I've had bad luck on that slope in the past, usually resulting in getting ambushed by a wolf.  This time I tried to stay crouched and made my way up sticking as close to the road as possible.  As I poked my head up, I could hear the bear's angry grunts and spotted the top of it's back. 

I backed off among the rocks knowing this was not the place I wanted to try and handle a short charge.  I was able to get enough distance to watch the bear lumber it's way slowly back down.  This was a good sign for me, as I knew it wouldn't be much longer before it collapsed.  I was hoping it would get back to the ice so I could close the distance and take a second shot if necessary.  However, the bear collapsed only half way down the slope.  This was not ideal.  I slid down the rocks back to the ice below and made my way over to it slowly.  I was able to get it quartered up without incident, but I was very concerned about being able to haul the meat, pelt, and guts away... mainly because I had no way of knowing if there was indeed a wolf prowling on the blind side of the slope.

I took a few minutes to figure out how I was going to try and handle this.  For now, I just wanted to get the bags of meat out on the ice so I can easily get them to the Riken tomorrow.  It seems that at least the other side of the slope is clear,  as I was able to gather up all ten of the guts and pelt and haul them over to the Riken.  I spent the rest of the evening dragging one bag at a time just a little ways out on the ice (just to make sure I have enough distance from the slope to be able to come for them tomorrow.  I stuck to just one bag trips since I could at least run to clear the slope.  I knew from the occasional howls that there was at least one wolf nearby.  Thankfully, I was able to get all seven bags out on the ice without any trouble.

By the time I'd gotten the bags staged, the weather was beginning to turn.  The last remnants of twilight quickly faded and it got very dark, very quickly.  I decided to go around the far side of the Lighthouse island to try and sneak my way back up my "safe passage."  As it turned out the way was clear, and I was able to make out where that wolf had been prowling.  It's was surprisingly close, but apparently just far enough way that the extra sent from the bags hadn't drawn it closer.  By the time I'd gotten back to the Lonely Lighthouse, I took a moment to considered how fortunate my troublesome hunt really was.  Tomorrow I can haul all my coal and scrap metal over to the Riken.

I'm set for food and now I'll have the forge setup for later on down the road.
Finally, just a little more mapping and I'll be on the way to The Ravine, Mystery Lake, and on to making real progress again. :)

• Like 1

I went out to collect more firewood.  I managed to find some cedar while beachcombing and 50 sticks, along the way I was able to map along the left edge of the map.  After mapping Katie's Secluded Corner (where I found a really nice bow and arrow set), I was able to goat up and hop across to the top of the rock spire to fully clear the surrounding area (thanks again to @Ice Hole for cluing me in on that spot :)).  It took me a few minutes to figure out how to get down again; after which, I mapped out the Blocked Highway and returned along the upper path to gather up everything at the Stone Church.

I did take a few minutes to see if I could sneak up and check on that car on the road just below the church... but there are two wolves prowling there today, so I suppose I'll save that for another time.  I think tomorrow I will spend most of my time cooking up a sizable supply of bear steak (and save the rest for later on).  Once I have my food supply replenished, I think the plan is going to be to do some prospecting through the mine that leads over to the the area across the street from Hibernia... from there I will need to map from the area of the Broken Bridge all the way down and around to the Waterfall.  I will also stop by the cave there to see what there is to gather up, and see if there is a wolf to deal with.

After that, the mapping will be done for this region.  Though, I will be staying in Desolation Point until I can visit and gather up what supplies and gear I can.  I still haven't even explored the Hibernia Processing are yet (I've mapped the area, but I've not yet prospected there).

I'm glad that these last couple of regions have mapped out fairly quickly, but I do want to make sure to explore every structure, cave, and automobile.  I think that having a couple of encampments where I can consolidate resources will be very useful for the later part of the run (and helps keep my mapping tasks interesting :D).

• Upvote 1

It's day 140 now...

I'd taken a few game days to process the bear meat, cook a goodly portion of the meat, and read the four books I had found so far.  I'd also managed to sneak over to the car just below the Stone Church, prospected though Abandoned Mine No.5, gathered up gear & supplies from the buildings and cars around Hibernia, and ultimately completed mapping Desolation Point.

All in all, it was a rather busy session. :D
I had a close call near the church, as it's not often that I've seen a wolf prowling up the foot path leading up towards the rabbit grove near by.  Beyond that though, I managed to avoid any other close encounters (which was tricky when I was checking out the guard shack and cars on the bridge leading to the main gate of Hibernia).

All there is left for me to do is search though the main Hibernia Processing building, and explore the Waterfall Cave.

Now that I think about it, I only did use one shot to take down the bear... so I still have 6 rounds loaded.  Assuming one shot for the possible threat in the Waterfall Cave, this should be more than enough to see me safely through to the completion of Mystery Lake before needing to consider reloading.  I suppose we'll soon see. :)

• Upvote 1

Very short session today.

I was able to gather up everything from Hibernia.  I stopped by the Riken to drop off scrap metal, fire wood, and a heavy hammer (the forge is now fully equipped for later use).  I then hauled all the rest of the found food and equipment back to the Lonely Lighthouse.  It was very late into the night by the time I made it inside.  I'll sort out all the gear and supplies tomorrow.

I was hoping for another aurora... so far each of the three auroras I've experienced in Desolation Point happened while I was hole up in the Riken. :D

Oh well, I was able to get some wonderful screenshots of the lighthouse from the wheelhouse, but I would have liked to get at least a couple of Buffer Memories from the lighthouse or Hibernia while I was here.  Though, I suppose I can come back for that kind of thing after my mapping tasks are completed.

Next stop, Waterfall Cave...  I wonder if Gmork's lurking about:
GMORK.thumb.jpg.faa5814f8f5181e9870b99d506b86521.jpg

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I made it over to Waterfall Cave before I realized that my lantern was very nearly out of fuel.  I lost a large portion of the day having to go back to refuel, which of course was my own fault for not remembering to check it ahead of time. :D  Once I made it back, I was able to quickly sneak though to the small upper portion of the cave over looking the larger room of the cavern.  I tried to see if I could see the wolf prowling around, but it was just too dark below.  Instead, I decided to stand up right at the rim of the drop off.

The idea was to get the wolf's attention and have it come to me.  In just a few seconds I heard it snarl as it made it's way towards the rock wall.  I set the lantern down a few meter's ahead of where I was going to be waiting.  I'd only get one shot if I was going to avoid getting into my first struggle of the run.  As anticipated, when the wolf realized it couldn't reach me it broke into a charge heading the long way around through the tunnels.  As soon as I see it charging out of the darkness, I aim in and take the shot.  The wolf quickly drops and I was free to gather up everything in the cave.

By this time it getting late into the evening, so I decided to bed down in the cave for the night. 

The next day I did some sorting, mending, and setup for the long hike towards The Ravine.  :)

• Upvote 1

Along the way I picked up all the coal in Abandoned Coal Mine No.3, and I figured I would drop that off at the Fishing Village as I passed through on the way.  However, first I had to make my way through Old Island Connector again.  I spent most of the journey across the transition zone crouched, but I'm happy to say I made it passed the Abandoned Harris House and out of the zone again without detection.  :D

I was able to hike all the way back to Misanthrope's Homestead before a blizzard forced me to take shelter for the night.

The next morning I made it back to the Fishing Village and I filled my stomach on three bear steaks I had stashed in a drawer at the nearby fishing hut.  I still had plenty of water with me so I continued on up bear creek.  I made it up to the railway tunnel without incident... I didn't see any sign of the bear, but I imagine it's off wandering someplace.

I was able to get most of the upper areas of the Ravine mapped with the little charcoal I'd brought with me (13 pieces in total), however I have had to make my main encampment in the Cave nearest the exit for Mystery Lake.  I need to do a long burn and get some food for the day, the good news being that if I need to stay more than another day... I'll have plenty of rabbits. :D

I'm hoping to have The Ravine finished by tomorrow.  So far the thing slowing me down the most is that the rabbit grove icons don't seem to want to show up on the map, this has caused a lot of wasted charcoal.  I also have to hope I can find a rope... otherwise it many not be possible to get down and map the bottom without backtracking to get one (which would also break the rules of my little challenge...so we'll see).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

@Applesauce

Yeah Desolation Point is a great zone, and among my favorites.  Each region has it's own charms and pitfalls, which is another aspect I like... there aren't any places where you have access to everything.  Which I think is great because then you don't just have folks aggravating to the "obviously most advantageous place to survive," but instead each place has advantages and disadvantages that means each player can pick places to setup long term based on their playstyle.

I agree, and I love exploration as well.  That's a large part of the reason behind my little personal challenge. :D

• Upvote 1

I started there because it's in the corner of the map and I didn't want to back track. Now I just need to find the way out.

Also, I'm curious to know, why do you like Desolation Point? I personally find it quite difficult to travel around, mostly because the landscape makes it hard to see when wolves are coming. There is a bear though who like to wonder outside the Warehouse. He keeps the wolves away and is too slow to keep up with me, but he's been friendly so far.

@Applesauce

Well, I like it for many reasons:

• The region itself is not very large, so you can usually get around pretty quickly.
  • There is a convenient coal mine within the bounds of the region, in addition to one that serves as a transition towards Old Island Connector (so we have a rather large and steady supply of coal).
  • That same convenient coal mine also takes you to the other side of Hibernia and back so it can be used to dodge wildlife if needed.
  • We have a pretty good chance (in most runs anyway) to find both a bear and a moose in this one relatively small region where you have some good options for safely harvesting (as well as deer, wolves, and rabbits - so we have fairly rich access to pelts of every variety).
  • We have relatively secure and easy access to a forge (which is nice)
  • We have access to some pretty easy beachcombing (meaning that otherwise non-renewable resources are technically renewable - albeit on a pseudorandom basis :D)
  • Also the region is just aesthetically really interesting (I think), and the Lonely Lighthouse in an aurora is beautiful.

Anyway, those are some of the reasons why it's among my favorite regions.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 2

I have to agree, the easy access to forging sounds very helpful, especially with The Riken having its own furnace. Watching the lighthouse from the Riken during the auroras is pretty fun too. Looks very ominous, but also very beautiful.

btw I read the entry about the one with the slope while getting onto the path to the lighthouse. I thought it was just me but that slope is a HUGE pain. In an earlier game I got attack by a wolf there twice. Makes me very anxious

I didn't have much time over the last few days, but yesterday I was able to get back to it...

I've been hole up in the cave near the climbing point for the last two days due to blizzards.  I took the opportunity to do a long burn through most of the bad weather.  As soon as it cleared, I collected up the charcoal and went out to finish mapping the upper portion of the Ravine while looking to see if I can find a rope for the climbing point (thusly enabling me to finish by mapping the lower part of the region). 

I searched every place I could reach, and unfortunately there was no rope...  I also backtracked all the back past the Raven Falls Trestle in the off chance that I just missed it.  Turns out the RNG was not in my favor this time.  I returned to the cave I'm using for a main encampment.

Rather than scrap the run because I wouldn't be able to finish mapping the Ravine before leaving it... I decided I would make a one time exception to that rule for this particular circumstance.  However, I wanted to make it a significant risk, so I decided to leave the rifle (as well as all other non-essentials) and take just 1 liter of water.  I decided I had to make the trip with out eating any food and only sleep if visibility was so poor that it would be just foolish to keep walking.

So that's what I did.  I marched back to Coastal Highway for as quick a round trip as I could manage.  I first made my way down the Fishing Village to make sure I didn't have an extra rope stashed someplace (which as I thought, I did not).  I did bed down due to a blizzard that hit late that evening.  I drank most of that liter of water to slow down my condition loss a little bit (I was already starving and exhausted - so I already lost a fair bit of condition).  The next morning I finished off the rest my liter of water and made a hard push for the most useless rope I could think of... The climbing point near the trailer just above the trail leading to the Silent Clearing.

On the way I double checked all the Fishing Huts in the off chance that I had absentmindedly stashed a spare rope in one of them (which I didn't, but I looked anyway just to make the endeavor a little more punishing).  I made it over to the lone Coastal House on the far side of the Coastal Townsite.  From there I made my way up to the trailer (I did have to dodge the bear a little bit... so that was thrilling :D).  I remembered from earlier that a wolf did prowl up along that switchback sometimes so I decided I would take the fatigue hit and climb the rope in order to recover it.  Once up there I would have to creep along the ridge and find a place to slide back down one of the easier slopes.  All in all it went surprisingly smoothly (there may not have even been a wolf up there but I was in no position to risk it).

As I looked over the Coastal Townsite, I noticed that there were no wolves near by.  As I suspected when I passed by on the ice earlier, it seemed that all the wolves where out on the ice by the pier.  I decided to head down and double check the Quonset Gas Station one more time as well (again just to make the trip a little harder).  Made it over the Quonset without issue, looked it over and left to follow the road back towards the fishing village.  At this point, if I got attacked by a wolf... I would have no hope of surviving.

Once I got over by The Tooth, I decided to cut back across the ice.  Surprisingly, the way was clear.  I didn't spot a wolf near the tooth, over by the abandoned car, by the Fishing Village pier, or even the bear ambling though the area.  I desired to make a beeline up the bear's usual route past Bear Creek Campground and up to the railway tunnel to get back to The Ravine once again (with the recovered rope in tow).  I was exhausted, starving, dehydrated, and my condition was getting down in the ball part of 25%-30%.  

Fortune smiled, because I still didn't see any sign of the bear.  I made it up and left for The Ravine without delay.  I was able to make it back to my main encampment before dark.  I gathered up what sticks I could find on the other side of the log bridge just in case I needed warmth (it wasn't likely, but again... I was in no position to take too many risks).

Once I got back to camp, I went over to the climbing point and attached the rope.  Weather was going from bad to worse and it looked like maybe the weather was going to dump another storm on me.  I hunkered down for the night, and ate a rabbit steak I'd prepared (while I was mapping and looking for rope I did bag two rabbits and another deer carcass by the climbing point - so at least I knew I was coming back to a decent supply of food to recover from the trip).

It was a grueling death march, but I made it. :)
Tomorrow, I'll be descending that rope and mapping out the Ravine Basin so I can move on to Mystery Lake.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

The trip down to the Ravine Basin was uneventful and relatively quick.  All though, I did very nearly fall off the rope on the way back up... but that was as exciting as it got. :D

With The Ravine completed I dropped all my non-essentials and took a nice leisurely stroll to Mystery Lake.  I decided to quickly make my way to the Camp Office and get my main encampment set up.  The weather was already pretty nasty and it looked like it was threatening a blizzard, so  I picked the relatively safe path that took my over by the Mystery Lake overlook.  I figure that way I would have a cave to hole up in if necessary.  Fortunately, the weather continued to hold and I found a deer carcass up on the overlook.  I'll have some venison to ration out for the next two days, but since I do still need another bear pelt... I'll set out on the hunt tomorrow.  Hopefully I'll find one out on the lake itself, if not... that could make harvesting a bit of a challenge.

It always feels like a bit of a homecoming whenever I step into Mystery Lake for the first time on a run. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1