Finally Trying for Faithful Cartographer...

ManicManiac

For the last seven (game)days, I've been living the peaceful life on Pensive Pond.  It's been an leisurely week of gathering sticks and ice fishing.  I had to weather a couple of blizzards, but the sticks I've managed to gather up has given me plenty of warmth (as well as cooked fish and fresh water).  I did spend a good portion of my time cooking my catches and running out to collect more sticks, so I wasn't just sitting there fishing all day... but I have managed to get my skill up to level three.  Luckily, I've only had one line break so far (which is good considering I had only brought two sets of tackle).  I imagine it will take me another seven (game)days before I'll have my ice fishing up to snuff... but if my last line breaks I suppose I will take my catches and lug them back down to the community center to pick up more tackle.

I really wish I had a heavy hammer with me, this ice fishing trip is really chewing up my pry bar. :D  Though that's just part of my challenge... "survive in each region with what the region provides" & "only carry my bare minimum kit with me from region to region."  Bare minimum doesn't include the hammer... although when I am done with all the mapping portions of my challenges I will be free to come and go through each region as I please, and at that point I will be able to gather up hammers and place them strategically at forges and fishing huts.  Until then, I just have to make due with whatever I find.  To be honest, I was relived to finally find a pry bar in Pleasant Valley at all.  It was literally in the last place I looked (End of the Road)!

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Still contemplating my dilemma… but I'm currently preoccupied with my fishing goals for now, so I do have time to mull it over some more.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I love how this game likes to remind me that nature is the boss. :D 

So I came on this fishing expedition with three matches.  I'd already weathered two blizzards in the previous week (in game time), during which I'd already used up two of those matches... so I stubbornly wanted to hold on to that third match for as long as possible.  Well, in the following three days I managed to hold out through two shorter blizzards that were spaced just a few hours apart, and then a one big one hit that lasted nearly 23 hours.  I held out until I was down to about 15% condition before I finally broke down and struck the last match I had on me.  After the storm cleared, I took a load of cooked fish with me down the back road and over to the community center to drop off and resupply.

And that's how stubbornness nearly killed me on a leisurely fishing trip :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

"It was THIS Big!" 

After around five more (game)days of ice fishing & cooking a rather large load of trout... and much to my surprise, I achieved my goal for ice fishing.

Everything I had read seemed to assert that the only fish that get over 5 Kg were the Coho Salmon.  I'm happy to confirm that my assumptions about the catch weight bonus provided by the fishing skill can and will (albeit very rarely) result in Smallmouth Bass that are heavier than 5 Kg.  I was surprised and happy to find that I gained the achievement not only from Pensive Pond, but also at Ice Fishing Level 4 (I expected it would be so rare - if even possible - that I would have to keep at it well into level 5).  I guess I can now check off one more goal from the list. :D 

I know this one was a rather mundane goal, but it still felt really satisfying to get this achievement under the particular conditions I'd set for myself.

I admit, I had my doubts of whether or not the game would cap the max catch weight regardless of the skill bonus... and I really didn't want to get this achievement from the Ep.3's "Local Legend."

179953333_monmothma-small.jpg.bace62d803ce1e4acb923aed08c64a37.jpg
Many fish died to bring us this information...

1355060039_ItWasThisBig.JPG.bcfab08ca5adcf312ed86b9614e8d732.JPG
1859043961_RealBigFish.thumb.jpg.0e5099832a68c9f909aaa18c12b8a16e.jpg
714795579_FishingSkill.thumb.jpg.1377464cd8aa5fda18aa7b6017eb12d9.jpg

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

Well, now that I've achieved my fishing goal, my next task is going to be to finish hauling the rest of the fish I caught at Pensive Pond down to the Community Hall.  I've taken a couple of loads down already (in the middle of my last trip a blizzard hit :D), and I have a fairly safe-ish route back.  I imagine it will take at least three or four more trips to get my entire haul back to store for later.  I may take the time to get it all cooked up, but my big catch... that one's getting saved for posterity. :D

I've given the mapping issues some more thought.  I've mapped and re-mapped those areas that aren't working... and I've been told by a couple of players, as well as the Hinterland team, that the achievement would still trigger should I finish mapping the required areas.  That being the case and considering how much charcoal I've spent on those trouble spots in Pleasant Valley, I think I feel reasonably justified in moving on to Costal Highway and continue my quest to fully map every region of Great Bear (or course I will swing back around to clean up the trouble spots once I get word that those issues are fixed).

Before I do that though (since I have already fully mapped Pleasant Valley and Timberwolf Mountain), I think I'm going to take one quick trip to Timberwolf Mountain to gather up my pelts and one heavy hammer.  The idea being to consolidate all the pelts I've gotten thus far towards my version of "Wrapped in Furs" and deposit a heavy hammer at Pensive Pond (since I've already achieved my version of "It was THIS Big!").  In keeping with my challenge goals/provisos, I'll still only be taking my bare minimum kit with me to Costal Highway... but I don't see anything wrong with staging those few items for afterward considering I've fully mapped those regions already.

:D I know it doesn't really mater either way... but I do really want to honor all those extra rules I've set for myself :D 

I do still need two more bear pelts before I have enough skins to make everything I'll need in order to satisfy what I want to do for "Wrapped in Furs."  I suppose I'll plan on taking one bear in Costal Highway and one in Desolation Point.  It will also keep me well supplied with food, and this way I'll be able to just stock pile all the other food stuffs I find while scavenging and mapping.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

So those "three or four" more trips turned into seven or eight more trips.  I caught way more fish that I thought! :D 

Making all the trips back an forth to Pensive Pond was mostly uneventful, although I did almost getting to a spot where I had a couple of wolves tracking behind me.  I almost thought I would end up sacrificing one fish to "pay the toll," but I did manage to get away clean.  The four blizzards that hit, slowed things down significantly but all in all I've been able to make relatively quick work of it (considering how much I had to lug).

I do have just one more trip to make (and perhaps take the time to cook them all up).  Then I'll go to grab up all my pelts and stash them at the Community Hall.  After that, it's on to Costal Highway. 

• Upvote 2

After consolidating all my pelts, I realized I'd not taken a bear when I was living on Timberwolf Mountain.  It turns out I'll need three more bear pelts rather than two.  I guess then, I'll plan on taking 1 bear on each of the next three major regions I go to map.

I spent one entire evening prospecting what useful things I could from the abandoned coal mine.  I took a few trips from one end to the other, gathering up everything and depositing it near the Costal Highway entrance.  I took a bit to sort it, and loaded up on as much as I could carry and made the commitment of stepping out into Costal Highway.

Of course, now that I've entered CH, I won't permit myself to leave the region again until it's mapped entirely.  I was able to take the rather large load of coal out with me, which will be helpful when I need more charcoal.  :D  I've had to drop all the coal outside the mine entrance, as I generally like to be able to run if I need to.

I'm on the fence though, about where to set a base camp.  I think I may use the Fishing Camp initially for consolidating resources, then later I think I'll also set up a cache at the Costal House on the hill (outside the Costal Townsite).  I'm still thinking it over though...

• Upvote 2

My third attempt at this personal challenge has come again to an abrupt end.

For the second time in a row, I've been done in by another "Instant Kill Spot."  Though I find it rather frustrating, I don't have any choice but to accept it and start again.  This is the third of such instant kill spots that I've come across (Broken Railroad, Mystery Lake, and now Coastal Highway).  I doubt these are intended, so I report them as I find them.  Where it not for these setbacks I would have likely completed my personal challenge several months ago. 

Oh well... I suppose from a roll play perspective I can just tell myself I slipped, fell, and broke my neck :D

The reality though is that I was just doing a little goating around on the ridge just behind the Trailer at the Train Unloading area (not even really heading towards the map edge...) and as I was climbing around a rock the screen went black suddenly and I see this:
20200206213405_1.jpg.aa70dfc0627aca166fcba21594a62aa6.jpg

Despite the fact that I did not fall...  I just instantly died...

Sure, it is frustrating... but I will start again later today. :)
Fourth time's the charm? 😩

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

I guess this time I'm going to have to resist the urge to go goating around even remotely near map edges.  I prefer to clean up the edges and have as much of the total map area cleared as possible, but without knowing where all instant kill spots are... I'd rather not stumble upon another one ¬¬.

I suppose I'll just save cleaning up the map edges for after I've achieved all the other objectives... then at least it won't matter so much if I find yet another instant kill spot.

I am tempted to do a Bleak Inlet start, just for the sake of something new... though my initial challenge stipulations do call for a Timberwolf Mountain start.  I suppose I'll think on it some more.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I'll admit my sudden inexplicable death and loss of all my careful progress for a third time has been... disheartening (so I've not yet started up again).  I did however, play more of Crossroads Elegy, and I also did a test run to see if I was skilled enough to manage a "cold start" from Bleak Inlet.  As it turns out, I was pleased to find that it was very feasible (at least on Voyager), but I find it's a much slower and more gradual process.  In light of this, I think I will just stick to the Timberwolf Mountain start because, frankly, I'd just like to get quickly underway.

Mostly just because I'd like to get past re-mapping and back on to real progress again. :D 

About Bleak Inlet... I have to say I was really surprised that the Timberwolves were so reasonable to avoid, and I was equally happy to find that stones were rather effective.  I did notice one other thing that mitigates the threat... but I will have to do some more tests to confirm.  :D ...and even if it proves effective, I'd be reluctant to speak on it - as I would rather it not get changed. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

My personal challenge begins again...

The first three days were mercifully uneventful.  I came to and found myself in the Deer Clearing and was able to make my way down to the Mountaineer's Hut before hypothermia and frostbite set in.  Along the way I was able to find a hacksaw near the cargo containers by the Wing wreckage.  By the second day I was able to gather up the gear and supplies in the containers near the Wing wreckage as well as the containers on the bluff above Crystal Lake.  Along the way I was able to bag two rabbits.  I'll see how long I can go before having to dip into my canned food reserves (which so far is rather considerable).

So far, I've not seen any sign of wolves on Crystal Lake...  Hopefully one will come along soon.  In the mean time, I've started gathering up all the sticks I can in preparation to start mapping.  As I made my way around to the Landing Gear wreckage, saw several antler scratched trees (good to know I can expect a moose to stop by eventually).  I've not yet spotted any bears.  Hopefully there's a den below Echo Peak East.  I'm hoping for an ideal hunting ground, but I'll have to wait and see.

In the early morning of the third day, the first blizzard hit.  Hopefully, the storm passes soon... I've got a lot of ground I need to cover today.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I didn't get a chance to do much yesterday.  My gear is still very limited and threadbare, it seems I'm going to have to get another fire going if I am to stave off hypothermia (and the condition hit that comes with slowly freezing to death).  Unfortunately that will nearly deplete what little fuel for the fire I've accumulated so far...  I suppose I could try to tank the cold for as long as I dare to and slowly recover condition over the next couple of days.  However, think I would much prefer to be able to make a push to the summit so I can armor up against the cold more effectively.

Hmm, I think that's what I'll do... as soon as the storm clears I will make a push for the summit.  I think I'll leave the other containers alone for now.  It seems better to go after them later (shorter trips back to the Mountaineer's Hut at the very least - plus I can get some mapping done while having to go back and fourth).

[Addendum]
Now that I think about it... hopefully I can find a heavy hammer along the way.  I will need to start ice fishing if I'm going to even have a chance of leaving my canned/processed foodstuffs stored away for the back end of the run.

(I'm genuinely curious to see if I can manage on just fish and rabbits - bit of a side challenge I guess.  Assuming I can find something to chisel through the ice, I know I can easily catch more than enough food - provided good luck with line breaks :D)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately, the blizzard lasted nearly 18 hours.  Regardless, I started for the summit when right when the storm lifted.  To keep the risks low, I took the path around behind the lower Wing Wreckage.  After that I kept moving until I got to the first necessary climb (right below the deer clearing).  I did stop at the deer clearing to warm up.  With my bedroll I was just able to warm up, so I did take a two hour nap.

From there, I was able to push on through the night and managed to make it up to the Secluded Shelf.  I generally don't go that way since I don't like to burn lamp oil, but I did need a chance to warm up (plus I didn't have to worry about dodging wolves and possibly a bear).  It also offered plenty of coal in case of bad weather on the summit.  I did take a long sleep at the end of the cave (just so I could make the last climb in one go), so I guess that makes it a "day 4 summit."

I was able to start getting into the containers in the tail section and gear up before I started freezing again.  However, I've still not eaten anything in more than 24 hours... so I'm already suffering the ill effects of starvation (that is the growing fatigue cap).  I still want to resist eating any of my foodstuffs,  so I decided to load up on what I could and head back down to the mountaineer's hut.  I'd forgotten that one of the containers had the heavy hammer among it's contents.  All I need now is some tackle... I don't think I have any, but thanks to the rabbits and some loose scrap metal, I should be able to start fishing and keep all my found food in reserve.

Some other good news... I did confirm that I have a bear denning under Echo Peak (East), and on the way back down the mountain I found a wolf had indeed claimed the territory on Crystal Lake.  I've now got what I'd consider to be the perfect hunting ground, and that wolf's going to be my new "reluctant hunting partner." :)

Today went about as well I as I could have hoped for.
Granted, nothing very exciting happened... but I always have fun on Timberwolf Mountain. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

After getting back to the Mountaineer's Hut, I was able to catch 3 more rabbits.  As I went to head back inside, I stopped by the pier on Crystal Lake.  Much to my surprise found both a hatchet on the pier and a set of fishing tackle just laying on one of the skiffs (lucky day).

The next morning I noticed the wolf on Crystal Lake wasn't around, so I decided to take advantage and managed to put in 5 hours of ice fishing.  I was a little concerned about the line breaking but so far, so good.  If this one set of tackle can hold out a couple more days... I should be able to make all the extra tackle I might need (I just have to wait for some gut to cure up).

That evening, the first aurora of this run showed up.  I decided to head down to Chasm Cave to pick up a buffer memory.  I was about to head back when I got the urge to peak over by the Engine Wreckage...  I knew it was risky to tangle with Aurora Wolves, but I crept up to at least scout the area.  As luck would have it, the way was clear!   I was able to gather up all the food and gear in the cargo containers and went to head straight back to the Mountaineer's Hut.  On the way back I had to maneuver around a bit to stay clear of the bear (a little bit of a close call).  My head was on a swivel all the way back to the Mountaineer's Hut, but I got back without incident.

The next day I found the Crystal Lake wolf had not yet returned, so I opted to roll the dice again.  I managed a total of ten more hours of fishing... no breaks yet!  At this point I know I'm pushing my luck.  I have a good load of fish now, so I suppose I'll give that a rest until I can craft up some more tackle.  I've got enough fish and rabbit now to keep all my found food stashed away.  *Mini-goal achieved :)

All in all, a good couple of days.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

It's been a rather slow couple of days.  I spent the rest of that day just cooking up fish and some more water.  The next morning I noticed that the Crystal Lake Wolf had returned...  I figured, alright no fishing today.  I decided to make another trip to the summit to haul down another pack full of gear.  I also figured I'd take about eight pieces of charcoal with me, at least I can map the summit before making my way back down.

I'd managed to get to the Deer Clearing before I realized that I'd forgotten my hacksaw. :D So I turned around and rooted through the caves I found along the way, picking up whatever I found just to make the trip (sort of) worth while.  I did manage to get back the Mountaineer's Hut with six pieces of cedar and a fair bundle of sticks (such a pathetic reason to waste a day of travel).  However, it turned out to be a stroke of luck.  About a minute after I got back to the Mountaineer's Hut, a blizzard hit! :D

The next mourning I struck out for the summit again, this time making sure I had the damn hacksaw...  I took the long way around to the clime near Eric's Falls.  I ended up having to take a slow stroll as the bear decided it wanted to amble along in the same direction.  The worst bit, is that this bear was on the same path I was... I mean it walked right up to the rope I needed and sat there sniffing at it for what felt like an eternity, before finally turning around to go mess with the deer on the other side of Eric's Falls.  The tricky bit, was that I had to give it enough room so I could slip behind and get to my rope.

At the moment, I'm hunkered down in the cave just below the final climb to the summit.  I'll probably have to take a nap to make it up this last rope.
I suppose it's been a boring few days, but dancing around with that bear seemed like a thing worth sharing. :)

• Upvote 1

Picking up where I left off, I decided to gather up all the loose sticks and branches on the shelf below the last climb to the summit.  I found a rope in the shallow cave, so I used it to make the climb leading towards the deer clearing accessible for later.  At least that way I won't have to dance around with the Eric's Falls bear later on.  I opted to spend the night in that shallow cave, since I had plenty of sticks to keep the fire burning all through the night.  I also had a deer carcass next to that shallow cave, which gave me some continent sustenance for that night and the following morning.

The next morning I woke refreshed and ready for that last climb.  The fire still had about two hours on it, so I though I'd map a bit on the summit and on the next trip up I can use the charcoal from this fire to finish it up (this way my next trip I'll be traveling that much lighter :)).  I deposited the deer pelt and gut inside the summit cave (I'll be back up here at least one more time the last of the supplies and to finish mapping anyways).  I loaded up on the rest of the food, tools, and clothes and figured I would take this opportunity to map all the way down my favorite "sledding" spot. :D

I made my way down the face with only one minor sprain (not bad, all things considered).  When I got to the ridge just above the bluff... I noticed I had a bear ambling around near the cargo containers there.  In my previous runs, that particular bear followed the river around the other hill - so I suppose I'll have to remember that this one likes to hang out on the bluff.  To compound matters, Mr. Bear was accompanied by a wolf.  I decided to act fast, since I wanted to minimize the likelihood of the bear causing the wolf to run headlong into me... I did still have the rifle on me (as I did just pick it up from the summit) but I was determined to slip past without an altercation.  Despite my sprained ankle, I managed to slide my way down the Crystal Lake facing side of the bluff and made it back to the Mountaineer's Hut safely.

I unloaded most of my haul... ate a couple of trout and took a well earned sleep.  :D

I'm not sure if I'm going to head back up right away... or if I will give it a few days to let the pelt and guts cure in the summit cave.  I think I may just map as much of the lower areas that my current supply of 35 charcoal will permit.  While I'm at it, I will likely set up for a long burn.  I guess I'll just have to see what today brings.

• Upvote 1

Well, I did get a fare bit of mapping done.  I've tried to be more efficient with my charcoal, since I don't have very much... so I've tended to get up on some of the higher spots so I can get the most unobstructed views I could.  I've managed to more or less map the entire stretch from the Echo Ravine Engine Wreckage... all the way to the Region Transition path to Pleasant Valley.

I did waste a few pieces of charcoal because I wanted to make sure that all possible harvestable plants were marked on the map as well.  So far, I've resisted the urge to harvest anything (with the exception of the one deer carcass just below the summit)... I've left all the plants in place for later.  The maps will be very valuable later on when actually have to go and forage.  So far I've managed to subsist on rabbits, fish, and a scant bit of venison.  I've not even bothered to carry around my three Lichen (so far I've successfully avoided struggles with the predatory wildlife).  I do have plenty of antiseptic at the Mountaineer's Hut, so if I do get bit...  Treating it will just have to wait until I get back to the hut. :D

It's only day 12 (damn, it feels like a lot longer)... I suppose I'm not doing too bad, considering I spent the first week just getting my feet under me.  I do still have to make at least one more trip up to the summit, and gather up all the gear from the other remaining containers about half-way up the mountainside.  That will slow down the mapping a little bit, but I should still be able to lug along enough charcoal to make the trips productive both ways.  When I woke up this morning I noticed that Crystal Lake was clear... I may have to start a long burn both at the fireplace in the Mountaineer's Hut and over at my little fishing hole.  This way I can gather up some more charcoal and bolster my supply of fish at the same time.

So far, the Echo Peak bear has not visited Crystal Lake... I find that to be a little bit of a bummer.   That means that when if I decide on a bear hunt, I'm going to have use myself as bait to lure it over my way first... which can be a bit of a dangerous proposition considering all the rolling terrain between Crystal Lake and it's den.   Better to take it on Crystal Lake, it's a little bit safer to harvest and haul it from there.  I'll just keep a lookout over the next few days... perhaps if the bear does wander my way, I'll take advantage.  If not, I think I'll just leave it be.  I don't really need the meat at this point.  Though later, I will need the pelts.

...better to live and let live, I think... at least for now.

• Upvote 1

On 2/19/2020 at 1:41 AM, ManicManiac said:

...better to live and let live, I think... at least for now.

Well that didn't last very long :D

I'd spent the next couple of days just casually mapping around the base of the mountain, collecting, sticks, and a bit of fishing.  It's day 16 now, and while I was gathering more firewood for another 20-24 hour burn... I heard a shambling/scraping sound coming from just over a small hill near the lower Landing Gear Wreckage.  I took a wide route around... sure enough, there just a head of me was the Moose.

I kept a respectful distance and just squatted there and watched it for maybe a half-hour (in-game time).  All the while considering whether or not to go get my rifle... I mean I didn't really need the meat, though it would certainly relax my need for food by bolstering my supply of rabbit and fish.  I also considered that in order to complete another of my side goals... I would need two moose pelts sooner or later in this run.

I eventually decided not to question providence.

I took the short trip back to the Mountaineer's Hut to grab the rifle.  I also noticed I was a bit tired, so I laid down and took a one hour nap.  I figured, this way it had a sporting chance to move on and escape.  I began stalking my moosey prey... I crept up the longer way around by a downed tree, and began to crawl in closer.  The moose didn't seem to take notice of me, and was walking away around a very hill topped by a couple of large trees.  I'm not sure if I am in the moose's blind spot or not... I was concerned about it turning around and bracing for a charge.  I held my ground, ready to fire and back peddle quickly.  If things go wrong, I'd have to suffer wrath of my quarry.

The moose slowly turned around, still gently grazing and taking a few more steps towards me.  I couldn't believe it!  I'd successfully "eyeballed" the range perfectly.  I raised my rifle and sent a round right on target to it's large forehead.  The shot apparently wasn't critical though, as the moose took off over the small hill.  I closed the gap just a little bit, but then I crouched down again to patiently wait for another shot.  It wasn't long before he wandered back, and with a second well aimed shot... the moose went down.

I wasted no time, I quartered it up and took the pelt and gut back to the Mountaineer's Hut.  I also managed to drag the 9 bags of meat (9!) and stage them closer to home for tomorrow...

You know, I bet the deer pelt and guts up in the summit cave have cured by now... I suppose once I get done lugging this moose meat back tomorrow, I'm going to have to make another run to the summit. 

• Like 1

The very next mourning I'd finished hauling bags over to the Mountaineer's Hut (I just sort of dropped them along the side next to my small pile of fir wood and charcoal).  I dropped as much as I felt I could safely, which got me down to just under 10 kg.  I took a quick nap to replenish a little more rest, and then made a hard push for the summit for one last haul of gear and to finish mapping the area.

I didn't want to bother with the possibility of wolves near the lower Engine Wreckage, so I took the footpath around Echo Point West.  Honestly I'm beginning to think it's faster than traipsing though Three-Way Cave.  I made it past the first climb near Deer Clearing (sometimes I have a wolf that likes to hunt there) and made my way around the bend.  Since I'd left my lantern behind, I'd planed on using the rope I put in place during my last summit run.  The bear near by, was on it's way towards Eric's Falls... and no with no wolf insight, I made short work of the climb.  After making it up to the ridge, I gathered up the 16 charcoal I'd left behind from the last fire and mapped along the entire ridge.

I did spend a good chunk of the night in the shallow cave up on the ridge, just to recoup energy.  I wasn't worried about eating or drinking, and I was still warm enough with my bedroll.  The last climb was a little more arduous, as I was starting to feel the effects of starvation fatigue (however I knew I still had a bit of venison and water on the summit - I'd be able to eat and drink soon enough).  I ended up having to stop at the second ledge (about three/fourths of the way up the climb).  I took another one hour nap, and managed the last leg... though I was pretty thoroughly exhausted by the time I did.  I'd timed the trip fairly well though.

By the time I crested the summit, the dawn had broke just enough so I could start mapping. I mapped through a good part of the morning.  I did find some good vantage points this time... so I didn't end up having to shimmy all the way around the the crags that form the peak to get it all mapped.  I also had some charcoal left over, so I did some detail mapping just to make sure that all the resources up here were marked on the map as well.

As I gathered up the deer pelt, guts, climbing rope, and the last of the gear in the containers... a blizzard hit.  :D

Thankfully, I had myself well prepared from my previous trips.  I had enough sticks for maybe 8-10 hours of fire... even some coal had it became necessary.  I use the sticks to get the fire nice and warm, I ate the venison, sated my thrust and just slept... hour by hour until the storm subsided.  Even after the weather died down, there was still heavy snowfall.  On the way down I had to dodge the River Bear... just as I thought, this one really does like that bluff.  This time I just waited for it to make it's rounds and move on... I was able to slide down the bluff to Crystal Lake with no problem.  Even the Crystal Lake wolf took the day off, so that was nice.

I spent the next few days gathering wood, harvesting moose meat, and then cooking.  After a good long burn (about 22 hours), I had decent cache of water (slow going with only one can - but I did what I could), an excellent supply of food, and a healthy pile of charcoal.  I spent one day finishing up mapping the base of the mountain (mainly just the edge around by the Forest Cave).  That evening, as I was making my way back to the Mountaineer's Hut... I heard the faint sound of the aurora starting.  I figured... why not.

I went back, picked up my flashlight from the crafting table, and headed back down to Chasm Cave.  As luck would have it, I got a new buffer memory (the last time I'd gone to check it has been a duplicate).  The last few times I'd been down this way, I was lucky enough that no wolves where skulking around the Engine Wreckage, so I thought I would check again.  I'd still not taken the time to even see Three-Way Cave and I thought I might take the opportunity to do that now.  Turns out the way wasn't clear... I suppose I could have fended off the aurora wolf with my flashlight, but I decided to make a tactical withdraw instead. :D

I did manage to loose my furry woodland friend as I rounded the corner, made my traveled uphill and out of Echo Ravine.  I had my head on a swivel looking for the Echo Peak bear...  The absolute last thing I needed was to get mauled by an aurora enraged bear.  I passed through the area anxiously, and just as I got over the hill... that's when I heard the bear crows and saw the large mass of glowing fur ambling just a little ways ahead of me.  I dropped low immediately and headed straight for the hillside just to my left.  Thankfully it didn't catch wind of me, but as I rushed over the hill tops it did take notice...  I decided to just sprint it out.  My way was short so I ended up well ahead of it and out on the lake as it still slowly stalked behind me.  I only checked back after I was nearly at the pier in front of the Mountaineer's Hut.  Fortunately for me it had already lost interest and continued ambling on it's way.

This is the first time during this run that the Echo Peak bear came to visit Crystal Lake... It would have to be during the aurora wouldn't it.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
After all that... it's now Day 24.
  • Upvote 1

It's been a rather peaceful couple of days.

I did make a run up to the upper Engine Wreckage to gather up the supplies from the container up there.  I'll have to make another tip up that way later, since I'd only brought 10 pieces of charcoal with me (and I ran out a little sooner that I would have liked).  Along the way I did get chased a couple of times by wolves.  Even though I managed to give them the slip, I realized that I've been running around Timberwolf Mountain with only a knife for defense. :D

I'm really going to have to get back in the habit of carrying 4 stones around with me again.  Which also means I'm going to have to antagonize the Crystal Lake wolf a little bit so I can get my stone throwing skills back up to snuff.  I'm generally well traveled enough to be able to avoid struggles with the wildlife, but I think that walking around without anything to actively deter wolves is a bit complacent on my part.  :D 

I'll do another long burn, and then I think I'll map my way up to Eric's Falls.  I think I'll lug the two ropes I have with me, so I can map my way back down the other side.  Along the way I'll get eyes on all three bears that live on the mountain (so there will be plenty of opportunities for mischief and shenanigans).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Well, my trip up to Eric's Falls and back went pretty smoothly (all things considered). :D

Although it took longer than though, and I made the mistake of not taking any food in my "over-night bag."  Which turned out to be a bad choice.  I did end up having to spend the night in Waterfall Cave, and by that second day my fatigue penalty nearly 50%.  What was worse is that my condition was getting down toward 15%...  I'd lost a bit from the cold, but I also lost some because I didn't bring a full two days of water with me (so I had to ration out a little more sparingly).  As a result I felt I needed to cut the trip short.  I just focused on setting up the ropes and getting back to the Mountaineer's Hut to recuperate.  I did end up having to dodge around all three bears on the mountain, so that was fun... but it was also a bit nerve wracking.  :D Since I didn't go out prepared for an over night excursion, I was in no shape to tangle with any wildlife.  My fault though... I underestimated the time it would take with all the mapping I was doing along the way.

This does mean I'll take a day or so to recover, and have to make the trip again.  Especially since I didn't manage to gather up anything from any of the cargo containers along the way (a wolf at Eric's Falls made it unwise at the time :D).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

After resting up, I did go back out for another cargo container.  This time the target was the container near Eric's Falls.  I opted to take the ropes I'd set in place and finish up some of the mapping around those areas to sort of clean up from the last trip (since I had to cut it short).  Again I didn't plan on being gone more than a day, so again I traveled extremely light.  I took a quick one hour nap at the bottom of each rope (just to offset the drain).  The timing worked out well, and by the time I made the second climb I was fairly well exhausted.

I crept up to the container cautiously, but much to my relief there was no sign of wolf or bear.  I tried to work quickly to take advantage of this lucky break.  I took one risky hacksaw and one healthy hacksaw.  I was able to get both compartments of the container open without loosing breaking the risky one... but it's now down to 1%.  I'm debating whether to just scrap it and use it to repair one of the other hacksaws I have in reserve.  I don't think I'll take a risky chance like that one again.  I mean, sure we try to make our tools and resources stretch as far as we can, but I realized that had that risky hacksaw broke... it's possible that it could have ruined that compartment of the container.  I'd hate to loose out on any of that precious gear/supplies.

I finished mapping on top of the hill near Eric's Falls and returned back to the Mountaineer's Hut to off load.  The following mourning I had to wait out a blizzard, so that day was basically a wash.  I was able to gather up another 200-ish sticks and I did run up behind to the path behind the Hut, and found that a deer carcass I'd been eyeing for the last couple of weeks wasn't being "guarded" by the usual wolf.  I quickly made my way down there and took advantage.  Once I get back from the next run I'll need to do an inventory of my pelts.  I don't want to go after more than I need to satisfy my conditions for my version of "Wrapped in Furs."

My last big push is going to be to back up to the Deer Clearing.  I have two cargo containers to gather up, and that entire hillside and ridge to map out.  After that all I really have left to do is the bluff above Crystal Lake and the narrow pass behind it.

After offloading, I took a long night's rest and set out bright and early.  I extra liter of water and good sized cooked trout with me for the over night I will most likely need to get all the mapping finished.  I opted to take route around and over Echo Ravine.  On the way to the climb just below Deer Clearing, I was able to harvest two deer carcasses (I left the pelts and guts to cure in the near by cave, and took the meat with me).  I got myself set up in the cave at the Deer Clearing.  I set down the sticks I picked up along the way, and dropped the venison & fish outside.  It looked like some nasty weather was going to set in so I opted to hunker down for an hour to see if it was going to turn.  Fortunately the weather actually cleared.  I pocked my head out and did a little scouting a head... it looks like I do have one wolf on the near by hillside.  That shouldn't bother my attempts to gather up what's in the cargo containers, but will be problematic getting the area mapped out.  I didn't bring my rifle with me so... it's going to have be stones and guile.  :D

I realized I didn't bring my tin can with me... so I suppose when I run out of water, I'll have to head back.  Hopefully I'll be able to get this done before that happens.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Alright... Timberwolf Mountain is completed (once again :D).

My two risky hacksaws both broke before I could get the Deer Clearing containers open (fortunately the container I was on working on at the time wasn't ruined).  I'm not worried about those two hacksaws, as I do have 4 more back at the Mountaineer's Hut (I kind of wanted a little more scrap metal anyways).  Since I needed to go back for a saw (as well as my tin can) anyway,  I opted to map a little bit on that hillide and make a quick run back to grab what I needed.  I made it back to the Mountaineer's Hut without incident, and early the next morning I set out to wrap up the last large area left to map out.

I made it back up to the Deer Clearing in good time, gathered up all the last of the supplies, and finished mapping the way up towards the Secluded Shelf.  I decided to take a chance on the weather and catch a quick nap at the base of the rope.  As I was sleeping I heard a bear wandering up to where I was camped out.  I was expecting to get a savage mauling for being foolish enough to sleep out in the open like that (but I'd never seen this bear come up that way before).  Much to my surprise, when I woke up the bear got spooked and ran off!

*I feel like I was just "safety netted"... and I'm feeling disappointed by it.  I absolutely should have been mauled by that bear, instead... it seems as though because folks have done too much bellyaching about it in the past, apparently a bear will get "scared off by a sleeping human who's just waking up" (which to my mind is just kind of silly - the game used to more punishing for making the mistake of not paying attention to potential hazards like this).  It just felt a bit cheap and disappointing...  I don't know, maybe I just got really fortunate... maybe there is a chance to spook the bear these days?  I kind of hope not.

Anyways, I mapped out the rest of the upper area around the Secluded shelf.  Then I managed to clear off the area above Three-Way Cave.  I did get stuck in the terrain for a couple of minutes, but I was able to eventually wriggle out of that tight spot.  I made my way back down and to check on the pelts I left in a cave (they were at 75%), then made my way back to the Mountaineer's Hut.  I laid down for about 5 hours and happily enough, an aurora had started up.  I grabbed my flashlight and quickly made my way back down to Chasm Cave.  Fortunately, I now have all four buffer memories (it's not really part of this run's personal challenge, but I'll get them when the opportunity presents itself).

*About auroras... I've noticed that the aurora sound effects don't persist anymore.  They play though once and then they just go away.  I also spent a considerable amount of time watching the Echo Peak Bear and the Crystal Lake wolf.  I noticed that aurora charged predators move in a really jerky/stilted way.  They almost jitter from step to step.  Ever since 4DoN, I've notice the wolves seem to bark continuously... and they seem to lack that delightfully eerie sort of distorted howl they used to have.  Does any one know if all these are bugs that Hinterland is working on... or is this just our life now?  (I mean if this is just the way it is - then I'll just embrace it, but I wanted to know if other folks were noticing some the same "wonkyness" that I was perceiving).

The next mourning I noticed Crystal Lake and the area just beyond on the way to the path to Echo Point East was clear of wolves, so I opted to grab up all my remaining charcoal (20 pieces) and finally get this region map finished.  I cleared out the bottom area and went up on the bluff to finish up that last little bit.  Up on the bluff I had to dodge a bear and a wolf.  All in all, it was tense... but uneventful.  I harvested up one last deer carcass on the hillside on the other side of the river and trekked back to the Mountaineer's Hut.

*I've noticed about four smallish areas on Timberwolf Mountain where resources won't appear on the map.  I may make another ticket for those specific spots (though I suppose it doesn't impact overall gameplay - I just like to have that stuff marked on my map for resource runs I'll likely need to take later on).

With the mapping finished for the region, I'll take a couple more game-days to get things situated and stashed for the long haul, pare down to my "bare essentials kit," and move on to Pleasant Valley. 

Edited by ManicManiac
Fixed typographical errors
  • Like 1

It's about day 40 now...

I'm still wrapping up some left over cooking (a little bit of deer, moose, some canned goods, and a few bass).  I'm also breaking down excess clothing for leather and cloth, though I do plan on stashing some back up clothing items for emergencies later on down the line.  After that I'll do some mending and take inventory of my pelts.

Once all that is finished, I'll be off to Pleasant Valley.
...Hopefully tomorrow. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1