Finally Trying for Faithful Cartographer...

ManicManiac

• 3 weeks later...

Today I took a break from hunting for Maple Syrup in the bitter cold.  After having a relatively easy time of it in Winter's Embrace, I find that appreciate this challenge of mine even more. :)

After my last session I thought for sure I was going to have to hunt a moose, a bear, or at the very least a deer in order to have enough meat to get by while I finished up my mapping of Broken Railroad.  However, I decided to take the greater risk and hold off on committing to a hunt.  Instead, I gathered up what I could from the Hunting Lodge and made it another cache for later.  After that I finished up mapping the area around the moose (being careful to keep a respectful distance to avoid tangling with it), and resolved to get back to my main encampment back at the Maintenance Yard.  The trouble was the sun was going down, and it didn't seem like I'd make back before night fall.  I didn't have anything but my emergency food, and I still wanted to save that.  I was able to get back to the cave near by and took a rabbit that was still roaming around... and that got me through until the next morning.

At dawn (after a blizzard passed over night), I made my way back down with the climbing rope in tow and secured it to the climbing point that lead down into the small ravine.  I decided I would try to make the decent, map the ravine, and try to get back up before night fall.  I had to drop a few things off in order to make the decent (and so I could come back up with anything I deemed valuable enough to want to bring back up with me.  The decent was easy enough, but I knew I would likely have to risk sleeping out in the open in order to have the energy to make the climb back up.  Mapping took the most time, and I didn't find much to try an haul up with me other than a book and a couple of clothing items I found down there.  When the time came to try and make the climb out of the small ravine, I did indeed have to bed down at by the base of the rope.  The weather was already starting to look nasty... but I knew that was the likely scenario when I went down.

Thankfully the weather held, and though my outer layers did end up mostly soaked through (and beginning to freeze over) I was able to make the climb.  I wasted little time in making my way back to the Maintenance Yard, and frostbite risk was mounting due to my frozen mittens.  The need for warmth was greater than the danger of wolves so I cautiously made my way into the yard.  It wasn't long before the wolf prowling around nearby began stalking me.  I ended up taking a wider route around the front of the yard, letting my would be attacker follow me.  As long as I kept moving I knew I'd make it inside before it got close enough to charge.  It was a tense minute or so, but I kept pressing forwards without looking over my shoulder.  I got inside safely and set about drying out my clothes and warming up in the bed at the back office.  I ate half of one of my last two deer steaks I'd harvested from a ravaged carcass and slept soundly through the night.

The next morning, I had a look over my very limited provisions.  There are a couple of dark spots on the map, but I knew those where up on on top of some very large rock formations that I hadn't previously found a way to clear.  I didn't want to try to much goating, mainly because I didn't want to find another "instant kill" spot, and if I was going to try to stay for much longer I'd need to hunt the bear that was denned across the small frozen river.  I mulled it over for a good long time while my clothing finished drying out.  I know that I'd decided to back off from doing too much goating around (since that's what had caused me to have to restart this challenge twice before), and I knew I'd been as thorough as I could without risking coming upon instant death...  So, while I'm not happy that those huge rock formations had left me with some unsightly dark spots on my map, I very reluctantly decided I'd done the best I could.

With that decision made I ate the last bit of deer meat I had left, and made my way back to Forlorn Muskeg.  As I passed the broken down engine, I picked up a hungry wolf.  I decided to pay it no mind and made my way up the landslide without looking back.  The wolf actually managed to follow me up.  :D  However, by the time I managed to get back down the other side it seems that the wolf had decided to give up the chase.  The rest of the hike out the region was peaceful, and I hesitated again before leaving.  I did end up going back to try a little bit of goating at one of those trouble spots again, but after seeing no progress... I decided that was just going to have to be good enough.

I got to Forlorn Muskeg and made it back to the Poacher's Camp and spent the night reading by the burn barrel.  Once I'd finished the last few hours of two of them, I slept.  I filled my stomach the next morning and finished the last book.  I decided to head up Hat Creek and enter Mountain Town by way of Milton Basin.  This was a pretty big gamble, because sometimes the rope on the topside didn't always spawn in place.  If I got to the climb and there was no rope... my challenge would be a failure, but I didn't want to have to trek the long way around through Mystery Lake again.  I took a deep breath and walked through the entry way to Milton Basin.

As I stepped into Milton Basin, the snow was coming down pretty hard.  I knew there was a cave over by the waterfall I could get to if the weather worsened into a blizzard, and I also had some coal with me in case I had to hole up at the Hermit's Cabin.  Having a couple of refuges in mind, I proceeded to map my way around the basin and went to go scout the climb.  Much to my relief, the ropes were indeed in place.  Here I had another choice to make... I knew I could just make the first climb and sip on some birch bark tea with me (that I'd picked up along the way) to get me through the night.  There was also a moose hanging around near the ice just down the hill from the birch trees.  I went back the hill top over looking the moose and sat for a little while to think about my options.  I didn't really want to take a moose down here... as it would not do me a lot of good up top, unless I wanted to spend several days making trips up and down the two climbs.  Needless to say, I didn't really want to do that. :D   On the other hand my stomach was empty and I would need more food if I was going to spend another day down here.

I finally came to a decision.  I was going to finish mapping the basin (at least that way I wouldn't have to come back down here later) and I knew there was a good chance that there were a few rabbit groves around this area.  I opted to keep mapping (and up to Rocky Refuge) until I got to the cave down near the waterfall, then I grabbed one rabbit and spent the night.  I'd found enough sticks and a few pieces of cedar and fir wood, so staying warm and fed wasn't a problem.  I dropped off everything I'd found at the wrecked truck and Hermit's Cabin there in the cave (along with the rabbit pelt and gut), I cooked up four birch bark teas (enough to get me through another night), and I set out to finish making the loop around Milton Basin.

By the time I got back around to the climb, I was just under 30 kg of weight and just a little bit too tired to because I could make the first climb safely.  I took a chance on the weather again, slept for a couple of hours at the base of the rope, and hauled myself up the rope.  Once I got to the top of the first climb, I got a little more sleep in the cave there on the ledge.  I drank a few of the teas I had with me, which helped with my rest quite a but.  Unfortunately when I woke it was snowing pretty hard and still several hours before sun up.  I wanted to make good on what calories I had in my stomach so I started up the final climb.  I had to stop about half way up, so I ended up sleeping on the small ledge.  When I woke up my mittens where starting to freeze over... so now I had the very real possibility of frostbite risk to add to my growing list of concerns. :D

I made it up the last leg of the climb, but the snow was still coming down too hard for me to want to risk trying to make it to Paradise Meadows Farm.  Between the risk of wolves and needing to fumble around in the dark to try and find a key... I risked taking an hour nap out in the open again.  When I woke again, the snow had stopped so there was reasonably good visibility... but I now frostbite risk had set in and I couldn't stay outside for much longer (I also now had hypothermia risk and was starting to freeze to death).  I've already been afflicted with frostbite twice due to foolish mistakes, and I'm not going to suffer a third if I can at all help it. 

Since visibility was fairly good (the sky was clear, so I had about as much light as I could have hoped for being that it was still no where near dawn).  I made my way forward trying to keep to the ridge line.  Occasionally I used my lantern to try to see a bit farther ahead, and it seemed the way was clear.  My next step was going to try to see if the key was in the truck.  It was not.  As I started to make my way around the back of the house, I heard a wolf snarling at me.  I very quickly decided to rush around the back of the house and head for the tractor near the barn.  I got away clean, but the key wasn't in the tractor either.  Not only that but due to my clothing getting soaked and frozen, I wasn't warming up in the tractor... so I had to get moving.  Since I was right there I looked inside small barn.  No key there either and I heard the wolf snarling again... but I also heard a rabbit scream. :)

I took that as my chance to head to the back of the house again.  I searched the body that I had to pass by just a few minutes before, and sure enough there was the key.  I quickly made my way around the house and got inside before the wolf could finish it's rabbit.  I used my lantern just enough to get me to the bed, drank the last of my birch bark tea and collapsed into bed. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
It was a thrilling couple of game days for me. :D
Especially getting back to all my self imposed restrictions, I really do love this little challenge of mine.
I'm down to my emergency cattails again (that I'd found while beachcombing awhile back), so if I don't catch some rabbits tomorrow... I may need to shoot a deer for the first time so far on this run.

Yes, I'm still going strong on the goal of caching all found foodstuffs.  That's a big adjustment from how I've been playing Winter's Embrace, but I'm still committed to storing all found food until my mapping tasks are complete (it's more of a side challenge, but I'm sticking to it). 

I think I'll end up with three or four little caches of gear and supplies here in Mountain Town.  I've got more than 50 pieces of charcoal, so I should be able to get a lot of mapping done before I have to worry about gather up more.  I'll probably need to do at least one long burn before I'm finished with MT, but I'll worry about that later.  Right now... I just need to worry about food for tomorrow. :D

• Upvote 1

:D I'd been working hard on achieving the goals of Winter's Embrace, that when I was able to complete it... I guess I sort of wanted to take a couple days away to reset my mindset to get back into my personal challenge at full swing.  I know when I dipped back in a few days ago, I'd gotten myself into some perilous situations because I'd let myself get used to traveling quickly and with impunity. :D

I'm going to have to cut that right out!

Hopefully, I'll be able to get back into it tomorrow (things have been busy here, so my free time isn't always consistent these days).

I know first things first, I am going to have a pressing need for food.  I know I do need one more bear pelt for later, but I am going to try and save that for Hushed River Valley.  I don't really want to take another one, but I suppose I will if I have to.

Considering how difficult I've made it for myself so far during the first part of the challenge, makes that one little allowance for when I finally complete my mapping tasks really something to look forward to.  It's going to feel like a sweet reward to finally permit myself to eat all the found food I've been faithfully stockpiling at all my various encampment caches.    :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Finally back working on my personal challenge. :)

Food is still my biggest concern, so I ventured outside to see if the wolves were still in the front yard.  Fortunately enough, the wolves have moved off to the nearby field.  Since the way was clear, did some mapping all the way back to the climb leading down to the basin.  Made my way back to the barn to start a fire (since I still have to dry out my gloves and deal with frost bite risk from the previous night when I first made my way out of the basin).  I also grabbed a rabbit, just to get me through the day.  I'll also have to grab a rabbit for tomorrow, but there are still two hopping around near the climb.

That evening there was a blizzard, but thankfully it cleared up by dawn.  The wolves are still hunting in the field (mostly feasting on rabbits and a deer or two that wandered too close from the other side of the road.  I did grab another rabbit before mapping my way up to Milton Park, the Picnic Area, and the nearby climb.  I set up another little cache in the Milton Park Office. 

I noticed wolves prowling directly behind the Orca Gas Station, so I made my way along the ridge line and mapped all the way over to the Crashed Prison Transport Bus.  The wood lot next to it was also clear of wolves, so I went on to map all the way over to The Arch.  It was starting to get into the early evening, so I made my way back around and returned to the Milton Park Office.  Along the way I decided to bolster my food supply, so I took advantage a lone deer grazing near the park bulletin board.  I'd been living on fish, rabbits, and ravaged carcasses for so long I'd forgotten how much food just one deer could provide. :D  This marks the my first rifle shot that wasn't for hunting Bear, Moose, or defense against "cave wolf" of Desolation Point.  (I don't remember if it's my first deer of the run... I know I would occasionally use the wolf on Crystal Lake as a reluctant hunting partner to take deer in my other runs, but I don't recall if I'd yet done so on this run)

My food supply is good for now, but I think I will finally start using a rabbit snare to supplement and stretch the supply it bit farther.  At this point I've mapped nearly half of Mountain Town, but I do still need to get to the higher reaches beyond the Milton township (as well as the Jackrabbit Transport plane crash).  Hopefully the deer meat will hold me over, but I know I may have to either take another deer... or perhaps a bear.  Though if I am going to harvest a bear, I'm going to need to think about how I'd get the meat, guts, and pelt to a good spot to cache it.  That will slow down mapping of course, so I'm going to try tightly rationing what I have to try and avoid the time-sink of having to process an entire bear carcass.

It's feels good to be getting back to my challenge.  I just have Hushed River Valley and Bleak Inlet left for my mapping task... It's going to be great to finally earn Faithful Cartographer during this challenge.  Though, I do have to remind myself to take my time and stay cautious.  It would be a shame to get careless again when I'm this far along.  I've already fallen victim to carelessness three times on this run... I really don't want to press my luck any further.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

I was only able to get a short session in today, but it was still a fairly interesting couple of game days (mostly because I was probably a little more cavalier than I should have been :D).

After sunup, I finally did a thorough search of the Milton Park Office and started to get it organized and arranged as a proper encampment.  I seem to have brought something back with me from Winter's Embrace (apart from the free roaming bad habits I feel into due to being flush with food).  I seem to be much more inclined to cache things where I find them after the event.  I've noticed from my journal that the previous regions would always have one main encampment and maybe one small cache at a continent location.  Now, after the event, I realized I've already established 4 small caches in Mountain Town and I'm barely half done mapping it. :D

So I set off down the rope and mapped my way all the to the interior cave that transitions to Mystery Lake.  I decided to do this spot now after remembering that my next stop was going to be Hushed River Valley... so better to get this area out of the way since it seems the Milton Park Office has sort of become my de-facto main encampment.  I thought for a bit whether to bring a night's food with me, but settled on charging ahead with nothing but my emergency cattails.  I was kind of glad that I'd left the venison behind when I found a wolf prowling around not too far from the second climbing point.  At the same time, I figured I could just hole up in the cave in this area for the night if needs be (there were also rabbits I could snag, so food/water wasn't going to be a problem if push came to shove).

I was hoping to make it down and back in one day, but that quickly became apparent would not be the case as I was very nearly exhausted by the first two climbs.  I was debating on doing a little goating around the area to by pass the climb down... but ultimately decided against it.  This far into the run, I'd be pretty thoroughly discouraged if I was done in for a third time by an "instant kill" spot.  I also find the recently re-worked mapping system to be still a bit wonky.  The stretch along the stream leading back to the transition zone cave won't fully clear out the dark area while at the same time, it will sometimes expose areas of the map beyond the boundaries of the playable area... leaving me with some very odd and ugly maps... Oh well, I've resolved to just do the best I can.  All in all, I do end up using less charcoal with the new system... so I'm not really complaining (just making an observation :D).

I ended up taking a 3 hour nap next to the climb down, but when I woke it was snowing hard and pitch dark.  I made the quick climb down and used my lantern to find the cave.  I sparked up a quick fire and put about 4 hours of fire on it (closer to 5 or 6 hours given the skill bonus).  After that I figured I would just sleep though the night and risk the condition lost to starving.  It was just far to dark for me to be confidant of snatching a rabbit without wasting way too much lantern fuel.  As luck would have it, a blizzard struck. 

By the time I'd slept enough to ensure I'd make the climb back up to Milton Park/Picnic Area, I'd already started to freeze even in the back of the cave after the fire burned out.  I decided to brave the blizzard and go make the climb anyway.  The sooner I got a fire going back in the Milton Park office, the better.  It didn't take me long to follow the ridge line to the rope (the walk sure seems a lot longer when I can't see where I'm going :D).  I made the climb easy enough, but by then I was getting dangerously close to freezing (with my condition already down below 50%... this was not the time for that kind of condition hemorrhaging).  I ended up sprinting the rest of way to the office, got a roaring fire going with the pile of 60 sticks I'd previously stashed in a desk drawer.  I ate the remainder of a deer steak in order to halt further condition loss, and finished reading a book I found earlier (I think it's interesting, thanks to the skill books I'm now a level 4 in gunsmithing... and I've not yet even set foot in Bleak Inlet ).

After sun up, I wanted to see if the way was clear to the Orca Gas Station.  As I approached it looked clear... but as I was about to drop down on to the road two wolves started pursuing me.  I took wide path around into the other wood lot just before entering Milton proper.  With my condition being down below 50%, it was no time to try and play tricky with the wolves.  I ducked into the cabin up on the hill and for a quick save (as I had to end the session for the day).

Tomorrow I plan to fallback to the Milton Park office again.  I'm going to need at least one good night of recovery before I take any more risks.
I'm also considering hauling my deer steaks up to this cabin on the hill and use it as my next encampment.  I think it will be a nice spot for a stop over before heading to the big Milton House (a.k.a. Grey Mother's Place). 

• Upvote 1

Short session today, but still... a productive one.

When I went to load my save, I did notice that my condition was actually 37%, so I was even worse off than my previous estimate suggested. :D  I had even less room for error than I thought.  I did immediately head back to the Milton Park Office after mapping from the lone cabin on the hill (that vantage point actually cleared a considerable area of the map).  I considered just bedding down, but there was still a couple "hours" of daylight left.  A fire was still burning with about 3 hours left on it, so I decided I would go ahead with the move.  I cooked one more venison steak, gathered up all the cooked deer meat I had (about 5 kg in total), left the raw stuff behind for later, and hiked back to the lone cabin.

By the time I got things situated in the cabin, I didn't have much of my fatigue meter left.  I sated my thirst and took a 3 hour nap.  I woke, ate about 40% of the first of my deer steaks.  I slept for about 4 hours, woke again, and ate 40% of another full steak (leaving me two that are just about the right size for a convenient 8 hours rest in case I need to do some strict rationing later).  However, when I woke the second time the Aurora was active (possibly waning), so I cautiously took the opportunity to search though both the Post Office and Milton Credit Union.  The aurora was indeed waning, so I still had to use my lantern to scavenge properly until sun up... but I was able to get two more Buffer Memories.

I was also able to get the Milton House searched from top to bottom but there was nothing of particular interest.  However, I don't think I will move my food there.  I think I when it comes time to head over to the St. Christopher's Church, I'll want to map from barn nearer the bridge and go up the "back way" before mapping back towards Milton.

I did a little mending, some of my clothing was getting worn enough to justify using up some cloth/leather.  My insulated boots were down to 65%, so at least those needed to be tended to.  I've also learned my lesson from my first troubled and foolish push out of Milton Basin.  I opted to keep an extra pair of Wool Mittens (since I haven't found anything better yet).  I figure this way, if I do stay out all night again... I can swap them out if the pair I'm wearing get frozen.

It only took wrestling against a third bout frostbite for two consecutive days for me to realize it would be worth the extra weight.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

I didn't have a chance to get a session yesterday, and today was just a short one. 

I did a little prospecting though a couple of the houses in Milton.  I did manage to map all the way down to the cave below Will's plane crash, and get back to the lone cabin on the hill before nightfall.  I may go back and visit when I take the old route though the cave across the bridge (I used up nearly 20 pieces of charcoal trying to clear up some odd nooks and smudges).  I left two small caches in the cave near the radio tower, and of course the cave down below the crash site.

I did have one run in with the wolf near the crash, but I just lured and distracted with the rabbits by the pond. :)

The most fortunate find was a jerrycan with nearly 3 liters of lantern fuel (which I happily lugged up from below the crash site).  It's been a while since I had a full lantern in this run.  :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I could only manage a short session again today.

I did manage to map from back behind Paradise Meadows Farm all the way up to the hill past St Christopher's Church.  I decided to leave all my food back at my main encampment, I was trusting that I would either find rabbits or a ravaged deer carcass likely behind the church.  Had that failed, I did also have four prepared portions of Birch Bark Tea (not to mention my 5 emergency cattails :D).  In either case I knew I wouldn't have a problem getting though that night, but if push came to shove I also knew I could make it back to the lone cabin on the hill if needed.

It was a low risk gamble all things considered, but it still paid off.  I found both rabbit and a deer carcass behind so the immediate need for food is well taken care of.  I took one rabbit and went inside the church cook, boil some water, and tuck in for the night.

If I can get a session in tomorrow, I'll try to make it up to the bridge... though my charcoal supply is dwindling (I went from 44-14 in just two sessions).  I may have to take a day or two to gather sticks... and sacrifice another for a long burn.  I think I'll try the cave up near the top of the waterfall, that way I could possibly have two 24 hour fires going.

Ultimately the plan will be to map to the end of the road and then back around through the cave, doubling back via path behind the signal tower (I kind of want to touch up around that pond again anyway).

• Upvote 1

I haven't been able to get a session started in several days, but I should hopefully get back to it tomorrow. (I'll admit that I'd also been a little distracted by another game in what little free time I have these days :D - but never mind that, since those intervals wouldn't have amounted to any meaningful session for my run in The Long Dark).

It's strange to go a week without playing.  I'm eager to get back to my mapping tasks.
Depending on the where there wolf population is, I'm torn between subsisting on rabbits... or if I should go on a bear hunt.

I only need more bear pelt... beyond that one might consider more than 4 bears (for the purposes of my personal challenge) to be extraneous...
And I'd say that would be a correct observation... but then I also consider that in terms of pelts I have more than I need for Deer and Rabbits, so perhaps taking one more bear isn't so bad.  Eventually I'd need an extra pelt for repairs anyway... so ultimately it wouldn't be wasted.  It also would still abide my additional rule limiting me to just one "larger game" hunt per region.

I guess I'll have to think it over some more and see how it goes when I get back to my run tomorrow.  I do still have a few days of venison left from my first deer taken in the run (all the other deer pelts/meat have been harvested off of ravaged carcasses).

• Upvote 1

I woke up early the next morning and found the way was clear around the church, so I spent a good portion of the day mapping back down to the bridge.  After that I stopped back behind the church to harvest the ravaged carcass to get a couple night's food and took the opportunity to set up a new encampment at the hilltop trailer.  My charcoal supply is down to to single digits now... so I'll have to find time to gather up enough sticks for another couple of long burns.

I don't know that the rabbit population will suffice, so I'm giving more thought to hunting the bear that is likely up on the bridge ahead.  I was also mapped up to the cave leading to Hushed River Valley, but stopped there as I spotted a wolf on the hillside right next to the road.  I ended up trying to take the longer way around to cross the road but the wolf caught my scent... I managed to duck in side the car and nap for an hour (I needed to end the session anyways :D).

I want to get the the bridge tomorrow... Mapping the large expanse near and around the waterfall/bridge took a lot of charcoal, and I will still probably need to dedicate a couple of days to gathering up about 400 sticks.  I may end up scouting a route back to the cabin on the hill to get the rest of my food stores and see if I can move it up here... if for no other reason than to just let me focus on gathering up fuel for the two long burns I'm going to need to get my charcoal supply back up to a comfortable level. 

• Upvote 1

Shot session yesterday... but a little progress was made.

I mapped up to the fallen tree archway just before the bridge, but I'm just about out of charcoal now.  I stuck close to the ridge line and made my way back to the pond.  I'm still good on food for a couple of days yet, so I've decided to focus on gather in up about 400 sticks.  I think I will use the cave on the hill near the waterfall in order to stay protected from the wind and take advantage of the longer burn time for the fire (meaning I can probably get by doing two long burns on closer to 300 sticks... but I will get all 400 anyways, as I will likely have to do another long burn before I'm done with this region).

Now... having to spend two-three days gathering sticks (and one additional day to burn it all) food is going to be a concern soon after.  I think I'll leave all my food supply in the trailer on on the hill and make sure to snake one or two rabbits each day as I'm roaming around collecting sticks.  This should help supplement.

On the other hand, however, perhaps it's a good time to head to the bridge and see about taking the bear.  It's better to have those two 24 hour fires doing something more productive than just producing charcoal.  I'll have to think on it some more. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I finally got back to it. :D (mostly due to real life stuff, but I also admit was distracted by another game for a little bit as well)

I was able to map all the way up to the bridge (as well as the ravine below it) with what little charcoal I had left.  I decided I would try to relocate my sticks (230 gathered so far) to the other side of the bridge and set up at the mouth of the cave up on the hilltop.  For the first run I grabbed a bundle of 100 and one of my last remaining pieces of venison, and committed to getting myself setup for a short term stay on the other side of the bridge.  (during my first crossing for mapping purposes, I did find a pair of gauntlets in the trunk of one of the cars - no more wool mittens for me :))

The idea will ultimately be to lure the bear up closer to the top of the leading to the cave, so I can harvest and cook it in relative safely.  Plus, it will give me a reasonably clear run to the Milton House to cache the meat there (be it cooked or uncooked).  As I mentioned before, if I am going to have two fires burning for 24 hours, they may as well be as useful as possible.  I eventually decided that cooking up a decent stockpile of meat and fresh drinking water would be worth all the extra time it's going to take to set up. 

Along the way through the small ravine (under and up to the other side of the Spruce Falls Bridge), I was able to grab two rabbits.  Farther back beyond the bridge, I harvested a deer carcass.  After dropping off the first bundle of 100 sticks, I found a wolf carcass inside the cave, so I harvested that too.  I ate and slept though the night near the mouth of the cave.  The next morning I decided to make the long loop back around.  I figured I could collect as many sticks as possible along the way... the sooner I can gather 400-ish sticks the better.  The coal I found in the cave could contributed another 9 hours to the goal, but I think I might save that (since it's the most efficient fuel) for later.

I ran across three more deer carcasses, but I'd already come across them before... and like before I think I will leave them be for now (assuming I can successfully make the loop, I'll have plenty of food for now).  The one resource I'm out of now is water.  I decided I would press on and make my way back to the Milton House.  After checking around on the first floor, I was happy to see that past me did indeed leave a 4 litter stock of water. :) 

I had to take the long way around past the church.  Wolves were prowling near the bridge next to the Milton House (but that's expected - they pretty consistently occupy that territory).  I walked past the lonely hilltop cabin and took the river route under the bridge to the wood lot on the other side.  The way was clear, but I opted to stop by the church first to see if where the wolves were... I could hear them.  It turned out that the usual way behind the church and along the ridge line was clear.  I stopped by the Trailer for a quick inventory assessment.  I mended up the gauntlets, and dropped some clothing I didn't need to be lugging with me.  I grabbed another bundle of 100 sticks and made the trek up to and across the bridge.  I did end up attracting the attention of the wolf who was prowling near the pond... but I lured it back towards the deer.  I then continued to stroll to the bridge while the wolf was running after deer. :D

I got to enjoy another tense crossing at the Spruce Falls Bridge, but this time I didn't have meat in my inventory so the only rush was getting to the vehicle closest to the bear without aggravating it.  I'd managed to get past the half way point, so it was easier to let it wander off to a safe distance.  I quickly scrounged around though some more of the cars, but I didn't find much more of interest.  I found some food items, yes... but since I'm still not eating those until after my mapping tasks are completed; I just stored them at the mouth of the cave.  I'm tempted to go on a hunt... but I have to resist that urge.  Instead I need to make the loop a few more times and gather up about 200 more sticks.

It's slow going... I should have been stockpiling sticks as soon as I got out of the basin, but for a long while I'd gotten used to having a surplus of charcoal.  Oh well, leaning some lessons over again. :D  I did keep one set of spare gloves on me, though the gauntlets are not very likely to get soaked... but at least for now I still want the extra set of gloves.   I can't afford any more frost bite.

Hopefully I will be able to keep this momentum going.  I'd like to finally beat this challenge of mine.  It's day 245... so I'm just about half way to the primary objective.  I'm eager to face Hushed River Valley Bleak Inlet... (those are the last two regions left to map - then I'll be able to tap into all those wonderful food reserves I've been saving)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

Nothing particularly interesting today, and I didn't have much time to make too much progress. :D

I made the loop again.  This time I widened the round trip, but heading back to the two wood lots by the gas station as well as Milton Park.  From there I followed the river down to the climb leading to Milton Basin, where I then just picked up all the sticks I could leading back up the ridge line behind Paradise Meadows Farm and further back around behind the church.  Stopping by the trailer up on the hill, I picked up a few more sticks I had stored there to complete a bundle of 100.  After that I made the hard push to get across the Spruce Falls Bridge before nightfall.

I made it though without incident and slept soundly in the cave just after nightfall.  I'm getting pretty efficient at making the bridge crossing. :D

I still had to do some creative navigation to dodge the wolves, but by being patient and cautious... I didn't have any unexpected encounters. :)
It doesn't make for a very exciting update... but that's how the day's session went.

[Addendum]
Also of note: As I was searching around though the cave I did find an improvised knife.  (I have no need for it at the moment, but I thought it was worth mentioning)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I focused on making another round trip to gather another bundle of sticks.  I may need to start a small fire just to get a little extra food and water before the hunt.  I don't want to press my luck before trying to lure the bear up to my cave (having to coax the bear into a charge to take it down is going to be risky enough).

I thought I would keep today's route a little bit tighter, though was likely to leave me short on sticks (and it did).  I stepped out of the cave and made my way to the radio tower, then down the road and over the bridge leading towards Paradise Meadows Farm.  From there I took the route around the rocks that leads behind St. Christopher's Church, and then followed the ridge line up to the Trailer up on the hill.  All-in-all, I only had about 50 sticks gathered up.  This was a little disappointing because I was hoping to start my hunt tomorrow...

As it stands it looks like I will need to make one more round trip (this time focusing on breaking down branches in addition to picking up loose sticks).

...As I'm writing this it's occurred to me that I probably have no real need to hunt this bear.  I mean, yes, I generally want to make my fires as productive as possible and either way I definitely need more charcoal so I can finish mapping the far side of the Spruce Falls Bridge.  I also don't really want to take a bear or a moose unless I need the pelt... or very definitely need the food.  Which in this case... is neither.

I guess I'm torn about it now.  I will need one more bear pelt for my version of "Wrapped in Furs," but I already have plans to get that last pelt by taking a bear early in my stay in Hushed River Valley.  Considering that all I need to do to finish my mapping task in Mountain Town is finish the small area here on the far side of the Spruce Falls Bridge... I guess I don't really need the meat.  Granted I don't have much, but I have enough for a few more days.  Plus I know where I can find three more ravaged carcasses on the way back around to the radio tower if need be.

Hmm... I may just focus on getting two 24 hour fires going, cook the deer/rabbit/wolf meat I have here with me, and just work on finishing up this map quickly.  I think saving my bear hunt for Hushed River Valley is probably the wiser course.  I wish I'd thought of that before starting to lug sticks to this cave. :D  Oh well...

I'd kind of grown accustomed to playing hide and seek with that bear on the bridge...
so in a way, I'm glad I've taken a few extra days to think on my long term strategy.  I guess I need to keep in mind that I only have two more regions to go, and then I can just relax and focus on my other personal challenge objectives.

Working my skills all up to 5, is of course just incidental.  Though the one that will take more deliberate effort is going to be gunsmithing.  I conserve ammo to a point where I don't ever seem to have a need to make it... but I will need to make it in order to top off that skill progression (thankfully the books I've found have gotten more than half way there without ever even visiting Bleak Inlet). 

My version of "Wrapped in Fur" is going to be delightfully satisfying because of how I limited my hunting.  Plus I'll have to go on a long journey though several regions in order to recover the pelts I need (and that's going to be fun all by itself).  Making my wolfskin coat from only Timber Wolf pelts is also going to be really satisfying. :D

Ultimately I think just finally finishing the mapping task is going to feel great.  All this time up until now, I've been challenging myself to live exclusively in each region before moving on to the next one... when all the regions are fully mapped, then the entire wide breadth of Great Bear Island will be open to me.  I'll be able to come and go as I please, and that freedom will feel very sweet after being so strict on my movements for so long.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

I did end up going on one more round trip.  I harvested a deer carcass that had spawned under the snow just out side of the cave (there were crows circling the tree but nothing appeared to be beneath them - on closer inspection I found just the very tip of one antler sticking up out of the snow).  After that I did go back into the cave and spent about 16 sticks to get a fire going to cook up the meat and boil some more drinking water.

The next morning, I dropped off the meat outside with the rest and made my way back through the cave.  I cleared out sticks and branches as I moved again towards the Radio Tower.  I had two pieces of charcoal with me from the fire the night before.  I stumbled on an old trail that diverged from the usual path.  It had a small cave near the end and a rock slide blocking off where ever that path once lead.  I used one of my pieces of charcoal to map it out and continued on towards the Radio Tower.  Once I got there, I used my last piece of charcoal to map the vista from the "polaroid" I'd found earlier.

I stopped by the Milton House before heading out to Milton Park to take the wider path (again) back around though the wood lots and the path leading behind Paradise Meadows Farm.  There was a wolf blocking the path leading around behind the church so I did end up heading across the road, through the wood lot, and making my way up the hill next to the cemetery.  I made it to the trailer up on the hill and grabbed up the last of the sticks I'd stashed there.  At this point it was starting to get late into the evening, I was a encumbered, but I opted to continue pushing forward.  I'd managed to sneak past the wolf patrolling the road ahead, but as I started further up the hill I found the bear dangerously close and making way straight for me.  I quickly had to back peddle, which also brought the attention of the wolf.  I did what I could to buy time by heading over to the pond.  I figured the wolf would either take after the rabbits... or the bear would get close enough to startle the wolf.

As it turned out the bear ended up sending the wolf running scared.  After that I decided to cut my losses and retreat back to the Trailer.  I did still have one venison steak there, so I'll just hole up here until tomorrow.

It was a little more exciting today...
I was a bit disappointed I wasn't able to make it back to my encampment, but I suppose it could have been a whole lot worse.  :D

• Upvote 1

The following morning I set out early to get this last bundle of 50 sticks across the Spruce Falls Bridge.  It was snowing pretty heavily and as I was sneaking past the wolf prowling near the road, the weather was threatening to take a turn for the worse.  I wasted a little energy on sprinting ahead past the broken down car on the side of the road.  As I approached that last hill before the bridge, I opted for the the wide path up the slope on to the right of the fallen tree.  After yesterday's close call... I wanted to make sure I could see the way ahead.

As it turned out the bridge was clear.  It's not often I found this bridge empty... and I didn't trust it at first, so I started making my way across at a very cautious pace.  I started to relax when I reached the half-way mark.  It turned out that the bear was ambling around near it's cave, which made for an easy crossing.  I quickly got in the last car on the bridge and just sat there a while waiting patiently for the bear to eventually decide to make it's way across.

The bear seemed to have a little bit of a hard time navigating over some the snowdrifts.  It double backed about three times before it finally managed make it to the bridge. :D

I waited until I could no longer hear the bear grumbling behind me.  I always make sure to get low before getting into a car (safer to be able to get out of a car already crouched :)).  I took a quick look behind me, just to make sure the bear wasn't close enough to catch whiff of me and start stalking.  I took a leisurely stroll back up to my cave, gathered up my coal, 100 sticks, and went inside to start two 24 hour fires.

As I got each campfire topped off on coal and sticks for the first 12 hour leg of my long burn, I noticed that the wind outside had started howling.  I stepped out to gather up my raw meat, and to check the weather.  The timing of that trip couldn't have been better, because just as soon as I'd made it back to my cave... a blizzard hit.  :D

I always enjoy these little moments, where all of the effort and careful preparation pays off.
Now I get to cook up some food, boil some water, and wait out the storm with enough firewood to keep toasty warm for the next 24 hours. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Today's session has been a nice reprieve in what could otherwise be considered dire circumstances. :D

Just in a cave... nice, cozy, and warm... plenty of food and water... the storm outside raging on with impotent fury as I sit sheltered and protected.
It's a good day. :)

In keeping with my general playstyle, do my best not to "pass time" unproductively.  So instead, I've been admittedly wasting some cloth on some minor repairs.  That is to say, I did repair some clothing even though they weren't worn out enough to get the most possible out of the repair action (condition around 65% being my usual baseline for most clothing items before I think they really warrant repair).

I also have a mending book that I considered reading... but my mending is already at level 4.  I suppose if the storm breaks and I go snag two rabbits... that would compensate and not deplete my food stores any more than I was anticipating.  I guess I'll leave that to the weather.  If it's turns out to be another 18 hour blizzard... I'll just save the book to read before I get ready to leave for Hushed River Valley.

After about an hour of real-time, the storm is still raging outside.  It looks like this will be a long one... :) but I don't mind spending a day just lounging by these two roaring campfires.  I did quickly check outside, I know sometimes just very high winds can produce similar sounds to a blizzard (at least when listening from inside a structure).  

I suppose it doesn't make for a very exciting update... but that's how the day's session went.  Personally I thought it was nice to just take a day to do some more sorting and mending.  I also took the opportunity to update my journal entries (cataloguing where I've stashed supplies/pelts).  I also took the time to sort of plan out how I want to proceed once I have the 48 charcoal (more, if I still have left over fuel) these two fires are going to produce for me. 

I know the way is clear all the way from the back of this cave to the Milton House, so carrying all my cooked meat back to my main encampment should be a leisurely hike.  Then I'll do another sorting to pear down my pack and cache most of what isn't vitally important.  I have a few spots behind the Milton House and further up the hill that I want to try and clear off... but after that I will consider it to be the best I'm going to get for now.  Once touch ups are done with, I'll stop by the Trailer on the hill just before the cave leading to Hushed River Valley.  If I haven't already, I'll finish up reading this mending book... rest up, fill my stomach, do one last inventory to drop everything not part of me "essential kit," and head out to HRV. 

I'm really looking forward to this leg of my challenge in particular... HRV and BI are the two regions I have the least experience with.  :)

• Upvote 1

As the storm outside continued, I did end up deciding to read that mending book. :D  It just seemed like more productive thing to do.

Not long after I'd finished reading, the night the storm finally blew itself out (by this time though, it was already late into the night).  The timing was going to work out well though.  I had ten hours of burn time left, and I was tired enough to rest for about 11 hours.  I even hand enough left over cedar and sticks to make a third fire (the burn time on that coming to 9 hours).  So... by the time I'd wake up, all the charcoal would be ready for me to collect up.

The next morning I ended up with 57 pieces of charcoal, gathered up all my cooked meat, and made my way out the backside of the cave leading towards the Radio Tower.  I did a little touch up mapping on the way back through (which admittedly wasted some charcoal as I was trying to clean off some stubborn smudges from my map).  I made it back to the Milton House, where I dropped off my food supply, and went back outside to clear off more stubborn smudges on the map.

The area near the bridge was surprisingly free of wolves, so I spent a good portion of the day goating up the ridge to get as close to that side of the waterfall as I could, and then all the way back along that ridge line behind the Milton house (which cleaned up that area nicely).  I knew I was going to have to head back to the plane crash, but it was getting later in the day so I knew I would have to tackle that tomorrow.  I spent the rest of the day tending to trouble spots up along the path towards the crash site (I also checked to see if the wolf was prowling around near the crash site).  In the process I also harvested two more ravaged deer carcasses to bolster my rather limited food supply.

The next day, I quickly made my way back up to the "rabbit pond" and crouched down (to slowly approach the area I sported the wolf prowling around in).  It was snowing fairly heavily, but the wind was blowing in a favorable direction relative to the wolf.  I sat there for short while and watched to see it's general prowling area.  As it started wandering off just beyond the fallen tree, I was able to sneak past and make my way to the crash site.  I used up a few more pieces of charcoal, but was able to touch up the areas I was hoping to.   The first time I tried to make my way back, the wolf detected me... but I was able to shake it by scooting down the nearby rock ledge.  The second attempt, I was able to get away clean.  :)

At this point the map is fairly well completed.  I think I will take one more trip to try to clean up and perhaps goat across the ridge down below the climb at Milton Park.  Though, I'm apprehensive about the possibility of finding another "instant kill" spot... so I'm not sure how far I should push my luck.  But I do want to climb back down there for one more attempt to clear out that last darkened area on the map around those higher ridges that so far, I've found no save way to get on top of.

(It's the ridge leading from the climb up to Milton Park all the way over the rocks above the Prison Bus Crash... so far it seems it's not really part of the playable area - but I will try the old way around the lower slope just beyond the waterfall on the path leading to the Mystery Lake Transition Cave)

I used to take that route to avoid at least one of the two climbs... but I've not use that for quite some time, so here's hoping it doesn't kill me.  :D

• Upvote 1

The next morning I made my way back to Milton Park.  I took one "medium sized" steak with me, just in case I needed to make it an overnight stay.  Along the way I'd attracted a the attention of a wolf as I was making my way though town.  I decided to risk heading straight for the Orca Gas Station (two wolves have had a frequent habit of prowling around it on this run).  Luckily the way was clear and I was able to shake my pursuer by ducking into the car near the pump out in front.

After sliding down the rope leaning down into the "Climbing Area," I made a quick stop at the near by cave to drop off the meat (just in case there was a wolf prowling down here - though fortunately there wasn't).  I did a little scouting around and noted two groups of three rabbits.  I suppose I didn't need to bring food after all... but I figured there was no guarantee that the rabbits would be out and about today; so I'm still glad I brought it anyway.

I made the climb up to the path leading towards the waterfalls and the transition cave leading to Mystery Lake.  I did a little remapping along the route (this time doing a little more risky goating to try and get a better vantage), but I wasn't able to clear much more.  I also took the risky path skirting across the ridge line.  It used to be we could make to the top of the slope above the cave... I made it across without spraining anything, but invisible walls kept me from actually getting up there.  Mapping from the highest point on the ridge that I could traverse didn't reveal any more than when I mapped from below.  I did opt to make one more attempt at finding ways to clean up more along the edges of the route leading to the transition cave.  Ultimately it was a waste of about 10 charcoal.  I had to take a three hour nap in order to climb back down, and I figured I would just hole up in the cave for the night.

When I woke up the weather had taken a drastic turn for the worse, and right as I was starting my make my way out of the cave... it turned to a full on blizzard.  I decided to press on, since the path to the rope was narrow enough I didn't have to worry about losing sight of where I needed to go (it was already a full whiteout).  I also figured I could just take refuge in the Milton Park Office.  It became quite a harrowing climb.  I was quickly losing heat, and it wouldn't belong before I started freezing.  After getting to the top, I was able to make out the pavilion, so I used that as a reference point to make sure I didn't miss and wonder past the office without seeing it. :D

When I got inside, I immediately went to bed (I just wanted to nap for a couple of hours in the hopes of at least getting warmed up).  However I woke up to a significant hypothermia risk.  I ran around outside the office gathering up what loose sticks I could, and also found about 17 more sticks in the large drawer of the desk (Thank you, past me... you are a life saver :D).  I was able to get a good few hours worth of fire going, and would at least hold me over until well past sun up.  By then, I'd at least be able to find my way to the Orca Gas Station without too much worry.

As it turned out, not long after the fire went out... the blizzard blew itself out as well.

I made my way back to the Milton House to start getting things ready for my hike into Hushed River Valley.

In retrospect, I think I decided to make another trip down to the climbing area because I think I'm a little bit apprehensive about starting a long stay in Hushed River Valley.  :D

However, I can certainly say that my map of Mountain Town is definitely as clean and complete as I could make it (without getting too risky and goating around too much).

Now I just have to start thinking about how I'm going to tackle HRV...

In the meantime, I'll take the rest of my food supply up the Trailer on the hill... get a good night's rest and fill my stomach.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

The next morning just as the sun was beginning to rise, I peeked outside to see how the weather was acting.  I don't need to get to HRV and get kicked in the teeth by a blizzard right away.  The weather was clear so, I went back to bed for just a couple of hours to see if it might warm up a little bit.  When I got up, I filled my stomach, dropped everything not part of my essential kit and departed Mountain Town for Hushed River Valley.  I found a flare just about half way into the transition cave, so I decided to save some lantern fuel and us that instead.

The weather coming into Hushed River Valley was fortunately very clear skies.  I decided to map along the ridge line to the right, and to keep going until I found a cave to hole up in.  I stopped by Cloudtop Falls, and kept close to the edge of the region until I came across Offset Falls (the Stairsteps waterfalls were louder than I remembered :D).  As I was making my way up further into the region I spotted the bear that I'm going to be hunting, but first things first... I needed shelter and the weather is already starting to take a turn for the worse.  It wasn't long after spotting the bear that I came across a good cave in which to setup my first encampment.

The trip though the transition cave had supplied me a handful of coal, the sicks I'd managed to pick up along the way ensured I have more than a full night's campfire fuel if needed.  It was getting late in the evening, so the timing of finding this cave was just about perfect.  I still had enough food in my stomach that I didn't have to worry about the first night... but tomorrow, I hunt.

I'm going to have to be especially careful here.  I know I have few options for ducking wolves (maybe an an interior cave, and mostly just the Ice Cave network).  Otherwise I'll have to rely on stones and shimmying down terrain if I end up needing to escape from teeth.  I suppose if push comes to shove I do have the 10 cartridges loaded in the rifle (though I don't want to use it if it's not absolutely necessary - and I've already promised 1 or 2 of those shots to the bear :D).

All things considered a good first day in HRV.
If the hunt is successful, then I should have the supplies I need for a good long while.  This bear also means I'll have all the pelts I need for completing my version of Wrapped in Furs.  Though that will have to wait until I'm done mapping HRV and BI.  I'd still have to go on a long trek to collect up all the pelts, and that's going to be a fun trip all by itself.

I'm really going to enjoy getting better acquainted with this region.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1