Finally Trying for Faithful Cartographer...

ManicManiac

...Wasn't able to get anything accomplished today.  Real life stuff was happening.  I guess that puts me a day behind, so we'll see if I can keep up the pace I had going in Desolation Point.

At this stage it doesn't look like I'll get it done before the 22nd... but I kind of knew that when I set my sights on it.  However, I'm still going to go full tilt at it.  Even if I don't make it before the update I'll see it though to the end, and if the region changes do impact the requirements for Faithful Cartographer... then I guess I'll just start again from scratch after Episode 3 and 4DON.  I'm still hopeful that it will all work out.

If all my goals for this run are accomplished, I'll get five of my last six achievements (Will to live, Faithful Cartographer, Wrapped in Furs, 5's, It was this BIG).  I've never really focused on achievements, any that I got were just incidental while playing.  The one notable exception was Stone Age Sniper... that one I did actively seek out because I wanted to make sure I earned it before that one update that made rabbit hunting so much easier.  I wanted to earn it while the mechanic was more "difficult" (and I did, so I was really happy about that).:)  When I noticed there were only six left, that's when I decided I'd actively seek the last ones out and complete them. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 2

I was able to get about a third of Mystery Lake mapped.  I opted to stick to the path along (and through) the river, as well as the high ground that wraps around to the railroad tunnel.  I've circled around to the Camp Office, but I will need to take some time to gather up more charcoal.  This time I have enough left so I can keep mapping while I wait for the stoves inside to produce more.  If I stick to the higher vantage points, I think I can get Mystery Lake completed later today (assuming my luck with the weather holds :D).

Mystery Lake... feels good to be home.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Well, I've certainly not been favored by the weather :D 
The entire session was either plagued by blizzard or dense fog, in either case no mapping's been possible.  I've just dedicated the time to gathering firewood, and sitting on the Camp Office porch to repair various things.  Dastardly luck, I was really hoping to get Mystery Lake finished... but it will take at least one more day.  I suppose by tomorrow I'll know if efforts to map will be in vein or not.

Regardless, it's a wonderful adventure. :) 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:27 PM, ManicManiac said:

@peteloud
[text removed for brevity]
 As for what level I'm on... I'm assuming you mean difficulty?  Voyager.

I'm not what I consider to be an advanced player, not by a long shot.  I'm currently on Voyager, and I've resolved not to move on to Stalker until I've had a 500 day run on Voyager.  I suppose my goal is to do a 500 day run on each difficulty level and then graduate to Custom (maybe Deadman, maybe Against All Odds...maybe I'll figure out my own flavor of custom settings and "house rules").

Anyways, I figured if I am going to commit to 500 days then I may as well finish getting the remainder of the achievements as well :) 
I have four six left, and Faithful Cartographer is the one that seems the most daunting so I thought I would finally take a run at it.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Only 20% into Crossroad Elegy... but I did take some time to get more of Mystery Lake mapped.  Once that's done I will map the Winding River, after which I may swing back by Pleasant Valley to check things out.  Since the Rural Crossroads where affected... I'm still curious if the requirements for Faithful Cartographer were changed as well.  I left the question in the Milton Mailbag Question thread back on October 4th.

Does anyone know if Raph spoke about this at all yet?  I can't find anything in the forums yet, and I don't really have access to twitter right now.  :D 
Still pressing forward...

Edited by ManicManiac
fixed an error

My mapping mission is definitely going on hold until after Four Days of Night.  After that I will be right back to it, I think I'll worry about finishing Crossroads Elegy later... it's fun and I like it, but I think it's going to take a backseat until I can get my mapping finished.  I suppose it's better to find out sooner rather than later if I'm going to have to start from scratch again or not.

Here's to not knowing... but still hoping. :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I also wonder about changes to Pleasant Valley which I completed long ago. Similar to you, I've been on a Faithful Cartographer stalker run since May and working to also complete my 500 days and the few other locked achievements I have left.  I'm on day 376 and just moved into Hushed River Valley.  I've never been here before, and the new timber-wolves have me quite concerned. Haven't loaded survival since Ep 3 came out. I've yet to develop a reliable strategy for managing them, and I am not at all ready to die particularly when getting close to those two achievements.  Hopefully any changes won't affect our ability to walk back, add the sites, and complete cartographer.  I wish you the best out there in the cold!

• Like 1

Well, @Brigo Raph did say that timber wolves have not come to Survival... yet, so we don't have to worry about that yet.
My brain is already percolating ideas about the December Survival update, but I'll wait until mid-November to start dropping questions about it in the Mail Bag.  For example, I'm hoping for news about the bear spear... also curious about the possibility of a new region.  However, like I said I will hold my questions until closer to December.

376, already made it more than a year in Stalker... sounds like a great run.  Stay sharp and stay warm, survivor!

Here in a little bit, I'll be out looking for treats so I can hopefully pull a few tricks on those Demon Wolves.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac

Not much for progress today, I scraped together 100-ish sticks and re-established a water supply.  Tomorrow I will devote more time to gathering up about 24 hours worth of sticks for the two stoves in the Camp Office.  This should give me enough charcoal to focus entirely on just mapping and exploring.  In coming back to my survival run I realized I'm flush with revolver rounds (269 to be precise), so I think I will start getting more liberal with my revolver and stop carrying around the rocks I keep to ward off wolves...  :D 

I sense my meat stores are about to get healthy again as well.

• Upvote 1

Yet another senseless setback... :D

For the second time on this run, I contracted food poisoning and stupidly forgot to take my antibiotics before going to bed.  So, I've spent the last two game days safely collecting more sticks and going though a lot of my reserve food to make sure I don't loose condition while trying to recuperate it.  I did a little spot mapping, but nothing comprehensive yet.  I'm going to take my time, get healthy again, then set off to the high places to try and cover as much territory as quickly as possible.

I've been cussing at myself all day for falling victim to one if the classic blunders!  The most famous of course is: "Never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well known; "Never go to bed ill before taking antibiotics, especially because death is on the line!"

• Like 2

Real life happened again today, so I wasn't able to make any progress.
Despite my setbacks (my last run ending prematurely due to getting stuck in the terrain) and how daunting a task this has been, I really love this personal challenge I've undertaken.  I've come to know regions much better that I otherwise probably wouldn't have spent much time in.  As a result, I think I've improved my strategies and player skill quite considerably (I still do not consider myself and "advanced player" though... and I won't, until I have at least 500 days in all the significant difficulty levels - V , S, & I).

The extra stipulations and restrictions I placed on myself feels really good when I compete a region.  It also sometimes feels like a genuine struggle when I don't/can't plan very well, and have to travel (and make due) with a weak kit.  :D 

Even though I didn't get to jump into my run today... I've still spent a lot of time thinking about it.

Edited by ManicManiac

Managed a full recovery, so it's back to business.  I was mostly just collecting sticks to do another long burn.  I did a little bit of mapping on the way, but I'm only a little over half done with the region.  After tomorrow's burn, I should have more than enough to finish up.  I plan on saving the dam for last, since I intend to make a quick trip to the Winding River.  I estimate I should have enough charcoal left over to cover it.

I'm going to resist the urge to revisit pleasant valley for the time being.  I still have not seen anything regarding Faithful Cartographer and the Crossroads Elegy update.  I think I'll leave well enough alone and see if that question gets answered first.  So I guess then means I'll be heading to Forlorn Muskeg next. 

A couple of wolves did insist on giving me warm pelts and fresh meat... so my food stores are looking healthy again.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

A strange amount of bad weather on Mystery Lake has hindered progress.
It's been slow going these last two days (blizzard, fog, blizzard, blizzard, fog ) :D 

I just have to move up/along the ridge from the Trapper's Cabin to the Dam and it'll finally be finished.  I've got a fair amount of charcoal, so weather permitting it shouldn't take long to do... however the weather's been the problem.  Hopefully the RNG will have mercy, and cut me a break.

• Upvote 1

The weather's still been strangely bad for Mystery Lake.  I managed to make some progress, though I think I may have spent a lot more time than I needed to get the Overlook location trigger (especially considering it won't appear on the map, neither is it nessisarry for Faithful Cartographer... but I still feel the need to visit all locations to ensure I get everything mapped and a 100% for region exploration).

Between bouts of bad weather I finished most of the region.  I do still have that bit of a stretch between clear cut and the dam.  Since I did end up wasting a lot of charcoal, I am going to take one more game day to gather up another 48 charcoal.  Mainly because I want to have enough to carry over to the Winding River (and hopefully just take one game day to get that small map squared away.

Then it's off to the Muskeg!
...I'm also tempted to antagonize a wolf, I have three pelts already and I kind of want to make a coat (I do have two expedition parkas, so I don't really need it - but a little wolf repellant wouldn't be a bad thing).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

So far, this thread has sort of chronicled my first two really earnest attempts at trying for Faithful Cartographer (and then some, considering all my own self imposed challenges on top of the more or less straight forward objective).

Well today another disaster struck, and this time it sucks even more than the last one (when I got stuck in terrain).
This time I was finishing up Mystery Lake... I was making my way up high next to the Dam.  I had just come across a very well hidden cairn and I thought, "Oh, if there is a cairn here then we were meant to be exploring up here."  I was traversing a narrow rock ledge, trying to clear off as much as possible connecting over towards the dam itself.

Then I was instantly killed.  The death text said I fell... but I did not.  I just found one of those instant kill spots.

This run is done.

I won't lie, I sat there starring at my screen in disbelief for almost 5 minutes.  I know I didn't fall because I could still make out the slightly pulsing background of where I died "behind" the black screen...and I was indeed still on the ledge.  I'd only ever come across one other instant kill spot, and that was a long time ago when I was trying to goat around to the distant waterfall in Broken Railroad.

Both of the failures of these last two runs were terrain hazards, getting stuck between a rock and tree I could easily accept... because that was 100% a misstep on my part.  I can't really say the same about the instant kill zone.  However, I suppose I got a little too into exploring, and I guess I was too close to getting to a place I "wasn't supposed to go."  It's still a real kick in the teeth though... but I'll take my lumps and start again tomorrow I suppose.

I guess the bright side is, I don't have to wonder anymore if Crossroads Elegy would have affected my progress or if the old map would update or not... as I will have to start from scratch again now anyway. :D 

The encouraging thing is that these last two runs were not ended by any failure in my performing survival tasks or dealing with wildlife.  I'm not sure what lesson I can learn from this particular death though.  Since I have no idea where other instant kill spots are located (and exploration seems like a core element of play in Survival Mode), all I can really do is avoid that particular spot and hope I don't find another one.

It is a bit frustrating, but I accept it.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Stubborn, that's clearly what I am... :D I've started again!  Same personal challenge as before (I know I've spoken about my personally applied parameters for FC before, but I don't think I really outlined all my goals for this push I've been on - so I suppose I will take a moment to review).

Main objective is to survive for 500 days ("Will to Live").
In order to make life more interesting, I'm adding the following objectives and provisos:

1. Achieve Faithful Cartographer, with additional conditions.  Start a the run on Timberwolf Mountain.  I may not leave a region until I have cleared 100% of the charcoal map.  Specifically, no smudges on any part of the main map area, and clearing as much around the edges of the map area as possible.  When going to another region I may only carry my most minimal kit (generally 13-18kg of what I consider to be just the essentials to nomad).  This forces me to start over relatively fresh and reestablish myself in each new region I enter.  (I suppose once I achieve this - this particular thread will end, since that's the subject I started it on)

2. Once I have achieved "Faithful Cartographer," I will then concentrate on, "It was THIS BIG."  I will begin this endeavor with fresh water ice fishing.  Even though salmon are the only fish in the game that are capable of naturally being over 5kg... I want to test to see if the bonus to catch weight that begins on Ice Fishing level 4 will boost the Small Mouth Bass up over it's natural 5kg max.  If possible, I want to gain this achievement by catching a freshwater bass instead of just grinding salmon in Coastal Highway.  If that bonus works as I think it does, then this should be feasible (unless the bonus still respects the weight limit).  In either case, I will not be permitted to go salt water ice fishing until I've reached fishing level 5 and I've spent at least 30 days fishing fresh water at level 5.  (I just realized I'm going to have so much lantern fuel!)

3. Assuming I've not managed to achieve it while completing the other objectives... next I will concentrate on, "Wrapped in Furs."  I will not be permitted to earn the achievement until I have pelt crafted items in all possible clothing slots.  I will only use the bearskin bedroll to earn the achievement if I am wearing: a rabbit skin hat, rabbit skin mittens, a wolf skin coat, bear skin coat (plus a moose cloak in my inventory - that's my "extra blanket"), moose satchel, two pair of deer skin pants, and deer skin boots.

4. Assuming I've not managed to achieve it while completing the other objectives... next I will concentrate on, "Skilled Survivor."  I don't have any ideas on making this more challenging... so I guess this one is just going to be pretty straight forward. 

So in the event I never really articulated what the entirety of my personal challenge is... here it is :D 

[Addendum]
It's been my standing rule for these attempts that I don't use any badges.

Edited by ManicManiac
Edited to Correct Errors
  • Upvote 1

I'm enjoying reading this. Out of curiosity, what do you see as your "essential" items when moving regions? Try as I might, I rarely get below 30kg even when I think I only have what I really need. I guess, matches, can, bedroll are the only real essentials but I am always carrying too much.

• Like 1

@Hilayla

What I've pared down as my bare essentials kit is generally:

Whatever clothing I'm wearing
1 standard bedroll
2L of water (which for me is a comfortable night's sleep and plenty of water for the next day)
1 night's "stopover" food (bare minimum to get a good night's sleep - used only as last resort)
1 bandage
3 unprocessed lichen (as they are "lightest" when not crafted into wound dressing)
1 knife
1 pack of cardboard matches
1 torch (to make best use of said cardboard matches)
***Optional, but ideal***
1 piece of emergency coal
1 fire striker (as emergency backup in case I absent mindedly use my last match, and to enable ignition source selection for lighting aforementioned torch)
1 magnifying glass (to take advantage of clear skies for "free" fire)
1 lantern (fully fueled when possible)
1 set of fishing tackle (for emergency repairs or fishing)
1 pry bar
1 recycled can
1 Defensive weapon (revolver preferred - fully loaded with six rounds when possible)

The kit does vary of course based on what I've managed to find (so end weight does fluctuate a bit), but this is generally my ideal setup for roaming.  Anything else I may need is always sourced from whatever region I happen to find myself in, and stored at whatever "stopover" points I setup (documented in my journal). 

Edited by ManicManiac

The first days of the new run were wonderfully rough, but not terrible. :D 

I came to at the end of Echo Ravine.  I grabbed the two pieces of cedar laying in the shallow cave there at the dead end.  I immediately started heading towards Crystal Lake, grabbing all the sticks I could reasonably get without diverting too far off course.  I quickly picked over the Fishing Hut.  I did stop by the Mountaineer's Hut just to drop off things, and for whatever clothing I might find.  I did find a few beat up clothing items, but not enough to help much.  I did fortunately find a hacksaw (but in really poor shape), so I opted to head out immediately for the containers on the bluff.  Hypothermia and frostbite risks were rising fast.  I didn't find a body or hacksaw by the container, but as luck would have it the hacksaw didn't break.  I now have enough clothing to keep warm in the hut (during the day anyway), and food enough to hold me over while I get my on my feet.

That first night I had a nice roaring fire going (good thing too... a blizzard hit sometime after midnight), and managed to get a decent start to my water supply.  I used the first fire to get all my canned goods cooked as well.  The next morning the blizzard blew over, and I was out collecting sticks again.  I bagged a couple of rabbits and noted rubbed trees between the Mountaineer's Hut and the Landing gear...  I'll keep that in mind for later. :) 

The second night I was just barely able to keep from freezing without a fire... just barely though (was ready to start another fire, but the morning started to get a little warmer before that was nessisary).  That was an important step to start my stick stockpiled.  I'm going to need to start building up charcoal soon.  I already had 11 pieces from the fire the night before... but I'm not ready to start mapping yet.  Tomorrow I'm going to have to push for the summit.  Though I'm going to need some tools if I'm going to keep this hacksaw from getting busted.  I could just set my sights on seeking out the other containers first, but it will both take too long and I won't likely get even one more container open given it's single digit condition.

Yeah, if I'm going to get this run off to a healthy start... I'm going to have to risk the summit tomorrow and at least lug down the best of what I find up there.

Edited by ManicManiac
Corrected Errors
  • Upvote 1

It's been a harrowing trip and I took a supreme gamble...

I left my nearly broken hacksaw in the Mountaineer's Hut.  My rationale being that even if (by pure chance) I found a container with more tools, it would likely break before getting it open... along with that risk there is a chance that the hacksaw breaking would "ruin" the container.  I decided I would rather travel up the mountain and back down for nothing than risk the possibility losing an entire container's worth of precious resources.

I stashed what little I had in the Mountaineer's Hut, I'd have to get to the summit with a bedroll, a knife, a fire striker, 2L of water, 2 canned goods (Peaches and Tomato Soup), and the clothes on my back.  When I stopped at Chasm Cave, I found that even in the back of it I was still at -1°C (so I'll need to be in the bedroll if I'm to warm up at all).  I decided I just needed to push on to the rock-domed cave.  I managed to skirt wolf skulking around the engine wreckage.  I found a bedroll laying in cave next to an old burned out campfire.  This is for the best, I'll stash any extra things I pick up along the way to retrieve later.  I did take a short nap just to regain a little bit of warm (and I do mean a very little), but I got warm enough to press on.  I wanted to get at least as far as the cave in the Deer Clearing.

I did stopover in the Deer Clearing cave just long enough to warm up a little bit and decided to strike out again while I still had the sun.  Also, it was starting to snow, so I wanted to press it as far as I could in case the weather decided to pin me down.  I took the long way around to Eric's Falls (dodged a bear...so that was a close call, all I have are rocks to try and keep me safe).  By the time the sun was setting I was debating whether to drop all the sticks I've collected and try the rope, or just settle into the waterfall cave for the night.  Ultimately I decided on staying in the waterfall cave and try for the summit in the morning.  Safer to stay, I had enough sticks to keep a fire burning for up to eight hours if I needed.  I also found a little more food while I traveled.  I slept in 3 hour increments, much to my surprise I was able to stay warm enough.  As the sun came up I dropped all my sticks and set about trying to sneak past the wolf that was prowling around by the rope.  I had to stay low, and the rabbits helped keep the wolf preoccupied.

I made it up to the summit, but I was already freezing.  I was able to take a short nap in the cave to warm up a little bit, but if I didn't find a hacksaw up here... I'm not sure of my chances of getting back the Mountaineer's Hut before freezing to death.  As I began poking around in the tail section of the plane wreckage, I found a hacksaw in decent condition tucked away behind the forward most container.

The gamble paid off!

I found enough clothing to keep warm... so tomorrow I'll sort out the best of what else I need and start back down.  The run is now off to a healthy start.  I'm leaving most of the resources behind, but I'll be back up here at least three more times to gather it up and to get the mapping done.

All in all, a rough but exciting trip...

Edited by ManicManiac
Corrected Errors
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@stay puft
Thank you.  We'll see if anything exciting happens tomorrow.  The plan is to fast rope down towards Crystal Lake and get situated.  If I don't get wrecked by a bear on the way, I'll probably spend most of my time gathering up enough sticks for a long burn.  Then it'll be time to get to work mapping again.  :) 

I did also notice (on the way up) that the Bear that lives over by Echo Peak East was skulking in an area I've never seen it roaming before...  I'm going to have keep that in mind.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1