Where to hit bears for guaranteed critical hit?

Skelegutplays

The only head shots that ever worked for me as an *almost guaranteed* crit with an arrow, on a bear... were shots that landed above the left eye, between the eye and ear. Pretty sure the right side would work the same. Sadly, no bears have been willing to volunteer to stand still to let me test this on a large scale. Sorry, the only shot I have showing the spot that seems to always work for me is an older shot, taken in a night setting. Hopefully you can see where the arrow is stuck. I would think a rifle shot to the same spot should have the same crit chance.

20161122002159_1.thumb.jpg.bc2ce56b2163203d497a9c3990cfda40.jpg

Look at the skull... I aim for the spot that is "soft".

american-black-bear-skull-alex-surcica.jpg.dbed6ae3063a9e64e1822229649d24c5.jpg

Edited by ThePancakeLady
Added second image
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

The only head shots that ever worked for me as an *almost guaranteed* crit

1 hour ago, FrozenCorpse said:

and I'm pretty sure no shot is guaranteed to crit

@Skelegutplays,

@FrozenCorpse and @ThePancakeLady are absolutely right.  There is no guarantee...as a critical hit is the result of an RNG roll.  Skill modifiers do boost the chances of scoring a critical, but it's never guaranteed.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Guest kristaok

Up the Butt with the Rifle, it's the only effective way to have a Crit Shot to the Head. The Bullet(s) would go up the rear, through the intestines, clipping some organs along the way (possibly the heart). Lastly the Bullet(s) would POP right out of the skull possibly leaving a REALLY big hole for all of those contents to pour through, all of this in turn would make a pretty good pile of sludge which is a good thing (less blood etc. to clean off the Meat). Anyway, Just leave the sludge where it lay as a warning to all other Bear or Wolves to keep away, then get to work carving up the Bears Meat for Cooking. You can also then Skin the Bear, and wear it's Fur Jeremiah Johnson style, this will also let everyone know you are a Bear slaying BEAST - don't mess with me! 

Basically this would be the BEST true Head Shot known to man! too bad there's no Shotgun that would probably leave more of a mark. ;) 

1 hour ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

Much like RPG's, there's no such thing as a guaranteed critical hit. 

If you shoot a bear with an RPG you'll probably have a critical hit but meat and hide will be ruined.

Edited by Doc Feral
  • Upvote 1

On 6/14/2019 at 7:57 PM, kristaok said:

Up the Butt with the Rifle

I actually use this a lot, and it really works, not for a one-shot kill, but to ensure that it runs away from me and not to me.  I now make it my practice to get behind the bear and shoot its rear.  So far 100% of the time the bear runs away fatally wounded.  I have now stopped even trying for one-shot kills.

-G

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, galadhlinn said:

I actually use this a lot, and it really works, not for a one-shot kill, but to ensure that it runs away from me and not to me.  I now make it my practice to get behind the bear and shoot its rear.  So far 100% of the time the bear runs away fatally wounded.  I have now stopped even trying for one-shot kills.

-G

Oddly enough, this does seem work. Problem is, bleed out from the rump takes a while.

On 6/15/2019 at 5:17 AM, Skelegutplays said:

Is it so that hitting the eyes will be a critical hit, whatabout inbetween the eyes? Also should i shoot the right or the left eye?

Using a hunting rifle.( when i find one)

Just like what other players have said, there are no guaranteed crits. Actually, all damage from ranged weapon hits are rolled. You can shoot a wolf in the chest with a bow at level 5 archery and not have it result in an instant kill. It's rare, but it does happen. From what I can tell, all hits fall into a bell curve. Medium damage shots are common while both low and high damage shots are rare. And from what I've experienced, the shots with the lowest rolled damage bounce off of the animal.

When it comes to shot placement, it does matter. Hits at certain parts of any animal in game produce a certain amount of damage to that animal. My recommendation would be to aim for the upper part of the neck. This is where I always aim to hit when shooting to kill any animal, apart from rabbits. From what I can tell, they produce the same amount of damage the head shots do while usually being having a larger area to aim for.* There are several reasons why I do this but two of them are particularly important. My weapon of choice it the bow and since arrows are usually on their way down when they hit their target, I makes it a lot easier to hit upper part of the neck.The second important reason is that when I'm hunting a dangerous animal, I aim to shoot it when I am not in its line of sight to reduce the chance of it attacking me. This makes it a lot harder to hit the head since this target becomes either very small or inaccessible when an animal is facing away from me.

You don't have to copy the way I hunt, or the way anyone else hunts either. But when aiming to hit a dangerous animal, consider the likely hood of hitting your chosen spot and consider what the animal will do when it gets hit.

*The lower part of the neck doesn't seam to produce the same mount of damage as the upper part of the neck.

22 hours ago, shade_grey said:

Oddly enough, this does seem work. Problem is, bleed out from the rump takes a while.

Most recently I used my rifle to shoot a bear in the rear.  It ran off running all over the place for a few minutes screeching all the while.  I waited for this to stop, keeping an eye on it, and watching for it to settle down to walking.  I then carefully tracked it from behind until I was close enough to shoot it again using my bow, from the rear.  It dropped dead on the spot.  It was safe and took very little time compared to how I used to hunt bears.  I have also killed bear this way using only my bow, but I shot them from a perch, so I could not rule out that they ran off because I was in a perch, which they sometimes do.  I have now done it enough times that I'm confident that, when shot from the rear, bears run away.  It does work really well.