Whiskey-type item

BareSkin

Read this idea in the last Milton Mailbag, here is a proposal:

- Main advantage would be a long term tea-warmup effect when heated up (3h ?)

- Main trade-off, would be increased exhaustion (+1 arrow down) and dehydration (+1 arrow down), drunk-walking (like when you're between 7 and 10% condition) and immediately decreases shooting precision (+crafting success rates, etc)

- Could be used (wrongly) as painkiller, disinfectant and accelerant as emergency measure

This way it should be quite rare and saved for very long travels in the cold, like the winds change when you're out, or a blizzard kicks in. That would mitigate freezing bar which goes out fast for the others that go out slowly.

After all, TLD already has all other illegal drugs, as I see "herbal tea" and the Stim. And books too, but they're not illegal!

8 hours ago, BareSkin said:

- Main advantage would be a long term tea-warmup effect when heated up (3h ?)

Alcohol does not work this way.

It dilates blood vessels shortly after consumption for a short while. That means you give off [potentially lose!] heat better and blood can reach your extremeties (fingers/hands) better [Good for warming up tho. You are essentially tranfering temperature better.]
Then there is an aftereffect which constricts blood vessels to a state smaller than original. Same with nicotin (cigarettes). That means you give off less heat and blood can reach your extremeties (fingers/hands) worse.

Your actual body heat stays the same - it just changes the property of your blood vessels in a way that isn't really beneficial to survival. Having alcohol a emergency stim substitude might be borderline realistic - but a warm-up effect is flat out wrong and promotes alcohol abuse (this can be really serious).

We don't want magic potions, but the thin line between "not too powerful and "pointless" is easily crossed. It could enhance heat variation to represent the effects on blood. You're warming up? Warm up faster. You're freezing? Freeze faster.
And to represent drowsiness it could slow down the recovery of energy when sleeping. This would allow oversleeping a bit, to skip the coldest hours of the morning without "passing time", but require careful planning for heat sources. It would add something to strategy and little more.

2 hours ago, Dawnshift said:

Alcohol does not work this way.

It dilates blood vessels shortly after consumption for a short while. That means you give off [potentially lose!] heat better and blood can reach your extremeties (fingers/hands) better [Good for warming up tho. You are essentially tranfering temperature better.]
Then there is an aftereffect which constricts blood vessels to a state smaller than original. Same with nicotin (cigarettes). That means you give off less heat and blood can reach your extremeties (fingers/hands) worse.

Your actual body heat stays the same - it just changes the property of your blood vessels in a way that isn't really beneficial to survival. Having alcohol a emergency stim substitude might be borderline realistic - but a warm-up effect is flat out wrong and promotes alcohol abuse (this can be really serious).

A chance TLD is not a medical simulator. The short you speak of is subjective, having a warmup bonus. The aftereffect we agree on this I think, since cold extremities leads to fatigue. But let me stress out some RL experience: hobos use alcohol to make it through cold nights, and it works. Have you ever llive on the cold and experience how alcohol warms you up or not? Your blood vessels dilate, and you're heat is better flattened out on all your body parts, and that's being warmed up to me, when before it you couln't feel your ears, nose, feet and fingers, and after, you can.

A better implementation could then be a flat strong "Feels Like" bonus (+10°C?): you're somewhat protected from cold but don't gain body temp, if you prefer it this way.

I never said alcohol consumption should be a long term survival strategy, quite the contrary (since it's rare, not renewable and you pay it in fatigue, dehydration and drunk walking).

About promoting alcohol abuse, this statement is flat out wrong, that's a survival game man, would you kill a deer IRL? I couldn't even kill a rabbit, so... it's a game.

I think alcohol makes you feel warmer without actually becoming warmer. But here is what alcohol should do. I get parasites in my survival a lot because I get a lot of wolf meat. I am tired of getting parasites - so I thought, if alcohol is added to the game, then you should be able to soak x3 2.2Ib wolf steaks in a pot with alcohol (the entire contents of 1 alcohol bottle) and let it soak for an hour (No cook. Just soak) on any surface that you can place it on (most typically, a stove), then after the 1hr you can remove the (safe) wolf meat from the pot of alcohol and then precede cook the wolf meat (on fire or stove), then you will end up with (safe) cooked wolf meat that will not give you any chance of parasites. 
So the alcohol acts as a anti-parasite that kills parasites in raw meat.
So then there would be "(safe) cooked wolf meat" and "(risky) cooked wolf meat" in the game now. How about that?
As far as drinking alcohol (if we want to make it drinkable at all), then I would guess that it would have an antibiotic effect equal to 2 antibiotic capsules. and temporarily take you down 2 levels in "Rifle firarm" and "Archery" for 2 or 3 in-game hrs.

On 18.9.2018 at 3:28 PM, BareSkin said:

.. TLD is not a medical simulator. [Fair enough - that is your oppinion. I prefer an experience modeled after real life (as in simplified, but congruent to reality). ]

... Have you ever lived on the cold and experience how alcohol warms you up or not? ... [Whether i or you have ever lived on the street or in cold climate is irrelevant - what is relevant is which information is correct. What i want to say is: the game is located in boreal & arctic climate, while you are most likely talking about is temperate climate. ]

... I never said alcohol consumption should be a long term survival strategy, quite the contrary (...). [And i totally agreed with you on this - that is what i meant with 'emergency stim substitude'. ]

About promoting alcohol abuse, this statement is flat out wrong, that's a survival game man, would you kill a deer IRL? I couldn't even kill a rabbit, so... it's a game.
[Maybe i was unclear. My concern is: false information likely leads to wrong decisions. Think about it this way: a game like this can be played by everyone, and people have a tendency to do stupid s*** (me included, haha..). ]

On 18.9.2018 at 5:38 PM, Hotzn said:

I personally don't miss alcoholic beverages as an in-game item. There are other areas of the game I would prefer to see improved, and other items I would prefer to see introduced. Most notably the candle.

Things like bones and animal fats are far higher priority for me too. Alcohol like whiskey or schnapps i can see impletemented as something like a quest or emergency item down the line. Alcoholic beverages like beer cans and alcopops i can't really see fitting into the game.

The only way I would support an alcoholic beverage in the game is if consumption infers more negative effects than positive.  i.e. your "feels like" goes up a bit, but if you're still not in the positives, your core temperature drops twice as fast.  So sure, if you're already warm and toasty, it helps you warm up faster.  But if your "feels like" is below 0C while intoxicated, your temperature bar drops like a rock.

However it would still provide calories, so there's that.  And the item could serve multiple functions, as antiseptic, or accelerant.  If all of the above were true, I would +1 this.

16 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

YES. Make reading great again. Craftable from some fat took somewhere (fishing?). Hope there is a rule saying we can go off-topic in your own thread B|

:) You could get fat from deer, moose or bear - probably wolf too.  You'd want to use the suet which isn't tasty as some of the other stuff, and is hard, waxy and melts at a fairly high temp.  You could also use it to make soap.  You can make the lye for the soap from cedar limbs... wow shades of '76, I'll stop now. 

Archived