Arrows w/o Forge

NardoLoopa

I have one arrow left.  Wolves and Deer like to take off with them and hide on me.  Crows haven't helped locate the little buggers.  The blood trail runs out on me.

I'm not really in shape to hit a forge.  I've never been to those areas and with one arrow, it doesn't seem wise.  I have the rifle, but I try not to use it.

In ML I had found a total of 3 arrows.  I'm in Milton right now.  Is there a place I could go with a hope to find one or two arrows?  Or is the forge really the only game in town?

@NardoLoopa, if you want a good supply of arrows, AFAIK one of the forges is your only option.  You're correct that going to one is a significant risk.  If you decide to go to the forge in the Riken in DP, you will need to bring a heavy hammer.  The forge at the Spence Homestead in FM has had a heavy hammer near the forge every time I've been there.  If you want to try to possibly get a forth arrowhead without a forge, go to Ravine from ML.  I've never seen a wolf or bear in the Ravine.  Near the stone where you can attach a rope to climb down to the basin, sometimes there is a deer carcass with a broken arrow in it.  Also, if you climb down to the basin, you can get the flare pistol and some flare cartridges.  With a bow and at least two arrows plus the flare pistol, you would have a fighting chance of making it to a forge and back.  Be very aware of thin ice if you try for the Spence Homestead forge.  Good luck.

This is most helpful.  I think I'll the Ravine.  Unfortunately, that will only bring me to two arrows, but I find two the minimal number for hunting -- I'm just not that good a shot and I have skill of 2 currently.  Maybe I need to practice on some bunnies.

Thank you

Other places where arrows/arrowheads/shafts might be found which spontaneously come to my mind: inside the dam by the dead guy at the entrance to the lower dam; Mountaineer's Hut in TWM. Arrowheads may also sometimes be found in the big red toolboxes (the immobile ones, such as in the Quonset Garage in Coastal Wolfsite).

EDIT: Oh, and Katie's corner in DP.

1 hour ago, Pillock said:

The other option, of course, is to change to a non - hunting survival strategy. It's perfectly possible to live on rabbits and fish alone, and the tools and materials required aren't terribly difficult to get hold of. 

This.  I hunt when I'm out and about on a cairn hunt, but if I'm settled for the long haul fishing and trapping is the way to go.  On anything other than pilgrim, my favorite location is the camp office.  My basic strategy is to first shoot down all of the wolves on the lake, and leave them there.  Then do a fishing marathon for like 48 straight hours, taking breaks only to eat and drink.   Make as many trips as it takes to haul the fish back to the camp office, then if the wolf carcasses are still on the ice, go carve those up too.  Then sleep off the condition damage.  When my food supplies run low, repeat the process.

On pilgrim I will generally settle one of the coastal houses, just for role playing.  I mean you can live a pretty comfy life out there.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm trying not to bunker-down.  I've only ever been to ML, MT and CH so far.  I'm looking forward to seeing the other maps.  But since I don't really know what I'm in for, I'm trying to go as prepared as possible.

As a personal conduct, I'm trying not to rely on the rifle.  In my first 50day run (Voy), I actually never found one.  In this run, other than the Moose-Bag, I don't really need one either.

Also, I'd just like to get better at the bow.  I love that there is a paucity of arrows.  Having only 2 in my quiver makes for a very different game than post-forge, I image.

Even after forging I only carry around 5-8 arrows with me simply due to weight concerns. I’ve never needed more than 4 or 5 even when tangling with a pack of 3 wolves. You can get by a bit longer with 3-5 more found arrowheads between ravine and Pleasant Valley farm but you will need to forge eventually, and you are closer to the forge than either of those locations.

From MT it’s not such a big deal to hit up the forge in FM at the Spence homestead. Staying to the edges and having a couple very small pieces of bait should get you there rather safely... though there are always risks. 

Whenever you go have at least 10 scrap metal on you. Once you get the forge to temp it’s really worth it to craft up at least 20 arrowheads. 

Archived